Driver draws flak for blocking disabled park: 'Imagine being that entitled'

This week, a photo of a driver's inappropriate parking was circulated on social media, sparking backlash and outrage from locals and Aussies alike.

The photo, taken at Westfield Eastgardens, showed a driver with no disability parking sticker parking their car between two dedicated disabled bays.

It wasn't only an insensitive, illegal move but one that also received major backlash from local Facebook groups.

'Imagine being that entitled,' one woman commented on the post, receiving more than 100 likes. 'Seriously, everything that is wrong in the world right there,' Another wrote in response.

'This is disgusting,' a third user said, receiving more than 200 likes.

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 7.37.22 AM.png
A driver was spotted parking between two vehicles in a disabled spot, obstructing their access. Credit: Facebook.

It's unclear whether the driver has been fined since parking in shopping centres is usually controlled by the shopping centre management rather than local councils in NSW.

Whatever the case may be, we can probably all agree that this was a terrible idea; the driver was callous and thoughtless, and we can only hope that the two cars parked next to them weren't too troubled because of the incident.

Members, if you ever see anything similar, we urge you to report it to the necessary authorities or centre management.

It's important we all work together to protect accessible parking spots and ensure that these disabled bays are used appropriately and respectfully.

What are your thoughts on this?

And while we're still on the topic, here's a useful video that explains more about disability parking spaces and why it's against the law to park in a shared access area.

Credit: Accessible Parking Australia.

Sponsored
I agree with the very poor taste in parking but l also do have to wonder if the 2 cars, one on each side, are cars that are appropriately ticketed to use those spots in the first place. Seen it all too often where a disabled zone is being used by someone that is not disabled. Which also brings me to another point. Some of the people that park in these zones with appropriate tickets to park there, are using it for greedy purposes when there is no disabled person involved to either drop off or pick up from.

This week, a photo of a driver's inappropriate parking was circulated on social media, sparking backlash and outrage from locals and Aussies alike.

The photo, taken at Westfield Eastgardens, showed a driver with no disability parking sticker parking their car between two dedicated disabled bays.

It wasn't only an insensitive, illegal move but one that also received major backlash from local Facebook groups.

'Imagine being that entitled,' one woman commented on the post, receiving more than 100 likes. 'Seriously, everything that is wrong in the world right there,' Another wrote in response.

View attachment 10911
A driver was spotted parking between two vehicles in a disabled spot, obstructing their access. Credit: Facebook.

It's unclear whether the driver has been fined since parking in shopping centres is usually controlled by the shopping centre management rather than local councils in NSW.

Whatever the case may be, we can probably all agree that this was a terrible idea; the driver was callous and thoughtless, and we can only hope that the two cars parked next to them weren't too troubled because of the incident.

Members, if you ever see anything similar, we urge you to report it to the necessary authorities or centre management.

It's important we all work together to protect accessible parking spots and ensure that these disabled bays are used appropriately and respectfully.

And while we're still on the topic, here's a useful video that explains more about disability parking spaces and why it's against the law to park in a shared access area.

Tow the car

View attachment 10911

Looks like the driver on the left wouldn't be able to get into their car even if they were a slim agile teenager!

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
This behaviour is becoming more prevelant. Bugger you Jack I'll park anywhere I like. This is why humanity is going down the sewer.
You are not wrong, Brian. I have a family member who works in parking infringement and he tells me that they issue HUNDREDS of tickets per month for people parked illegally in disability bays and the sort of situation illustrated above is not an isolated instance. In many cases, when the offending driver lodges an appeal and gives a reason/excuse for their transgression, their story is easily shown to be a complete fabrication by the CCTV footage. And it is incredible how many times the CCTV also shows completely empty and legal parking bays a short distance away so there was no excuse for taking the disability bay - it was sheer laziness and lack of consideration. Inevitably the offenders claim some kind of emergency, usually a medical or mechanical emergency, but most of the time the CCTV shows them popping into a nearby shop to pick up pizza or coffee. For example, they often claim "I was having car trouble" but the CCTV footage shows them driving into the bay, leaving the car, running an errand, and driving out again a while later with no apparent problem at all and certainly no attempt at checking the engine etc. When people ask my relative what he does for a living, he usually replies, "I listen to lies".

View attachment 10911

As a disabled person I rely on these special car parks, as the extra room enables me to open the doors wide to give me easier entry and exit the car. That idiot parking as they did would have prevented me from getting into the car. I would have been sorely tempted to bash the car or the driver who was so stupid! Sorry, it is bad enough being in this position to be needing special assistance without thoughtless idiots making it that much harder.

That is very very RUDE of them what happens if somebody was in a wheelchair or anybody came back to their car & tried getting into their car.How come that person couldn't find another car park & walk that little bit further.SHAME on them

Bring clamping in and do not release until fine paid, I do not have that problem now, recently sold my car and bought a mobility scooter but could with a few parking bays in the shopping centers.

View attachment 10911

This happened to me at Westfields Whitfords Perth. The ACROD people tell me it is the shopping centre who controls it. Rang the shopping centre, no response.

• Angry
Reactions: Marj53
Someone I know acquired a Disability Permit for a disabled relative to use whilst visiting Australia. When said relative returned home to UK, this person continued to use the Permit and even bragged to friends about it. He maintained that he didn’t take up a Disabled parking spot, but kept it for getting double the time in other parking spots. He’s even renewed it several times. Being a Permit holder myself, I’ve berated him several times about this, but there’s no shaming someone like him. 🤬

• Angry
Reactions: terri and Marj53
I have a daughter in a wheelchair and I have lost count on how many times we have gone to the shopping centre park only to find non disabled people taking the parks. One time I parked across 2 cars so they couldn't leave.
Also loathe people who use their relatives Acrod parking permits to park. They should be fined too. Just my POV.

Reactions: terri and Marj53
I agree with the very poor taste in parking but l also do have to wonder if the 2 cars, one on each side, are cars that are appropriately ticketed to use those spots in the first place. Seen it all too often where a disabled zone is being used by someone that is not disabled. Which also brings me to another point. Some of the people that park in these zones with appropriate tickets to park there, are using it for greedy purposes when there is no disabled person involved to either drop off or pick up from.
I know of one person in our town who got a disabled sticker from the dr as she was a friend of his. He was no more disabled than me, and I am a fully able-bodied person.

This happened to me at Westfields Whitfords Perth. The ACROD people tell me it is the shopping centre who controls it. Rang the shopping centre, no response.
I experienced the same at our local shopping centre (also in WA). The security guard told me it was because centre management don't want to risk "alienating" any of their shoppers.