Driver draws flak for blocking disabled park: 'Imagine being that entitled'

This week, a photo of a driver's inappropriate parking was circulated on social media, sparking backlash and outrage from locals and Aussies alike.

The photo, taken at Westfield Eastgardens, showed a driver with no disability parking sticker parking their car between two dedicated disabled bays.

It wasn't only an insensitive, illegal move but one that also received major backlash from local Facebook groups.

'Imagine being that entitled,' one woman commented on the post, receiving more than 100 likes. 'Seriously, everything that is wrong in the world right there,' Another wrote in response.

'This is disgusting,' a third user said, receiving more than 200 likes.

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 7.37.22 AM.png
A driver was spotted parking between two vehicles in a disabled spot, obstructing their access. Credit: Facebook.

It's unclear whether the driver has been fined since parking in shopping centres is usually controlled by the shopping centre management rather than local councils in NSW.

Whatever the case may be, we can probably all agree that this was a terrible idea; the driver was callous and thoughtless, and we can only hope that the two cars parked next to them weren't too troubled because of the incident.

Members, if you ever see anything similar, we urge you to report it to the necessary authorities or centre management.

It's important we all work together to protect accessible parking spots and ensure that these disabled bays are used appropriately and respectfully.

What are your thoughts on this?

And while we're still on the topic, here's a useful video that explains more about disability parking spaces and why it's against the law to park in a shared access area.

Credit: Accessible Parking Australia.

Sponsored
This week, a photo of a driver's inappropriate parking was circulated on social media, sparking backlash and outrage from locals and Aussies alike.

The photo, taken at Westfield Eastgardens, showed a driver with no disability parking sticker parking their car between two dedicated disabled bays.

It wasn't only an insensitive, illegal move but one that also received major backlash from local Facebook groups.

'Imagine being that entitled,' one woman commented on the post, receiving more than 100 likes. 'Seriously, everything that is wrong in the world right there,' Another wrote in response.

'This is disgusting,' a third user said, receiving more than 200 likes.

View attachment 10911
A driver was spotted parking between two vehicles in a disabled spot, obstructing their access. Credit: Facebook.

It's unclear whether the driver has been fined since parking in shopping centres is usually controlled by the shopping centre management rather than local councils in NSW.

Whatever the case may be, we can probably all agree that this was a terrible idea; the driver was callous and thoughtless, and we can only hope that the two cars parked next to them weren't too troubled because of the incident.

Members, if you ever see anything similar, we urge you to report it to the necessary authorities or centre management.

It's important we all work together to protect accessible parking spots and ensure that these disabled bays are used appropriately and respectfully.

What are your thoughts on this?

And while we're still on the topic, here's a useful video that explains more about disability parking spaces and why it's against the law to park in a shared access area.

Credit: Accessible Parking Australia.

A wheel lock would work wonders

Reactions: Daiki San
Tow the car
Perhaps Clamp the car !! Then call the Police , and have him 9 or her ) hit where it hurts - the pocket AND if the authorities in this country get thier act
together , how about FOUR demerits to give him or her something to think about . I have a parking permit and very few park where I use them ,
but there is not a lot to go around and the offenders also have the temerity to park in the one of the two Taxi spots . Both dumb and thoughtless
but the police in my little village are not interested in doing their job , merely at the supermarket to get their lunch . Similarly with the vast number of
unroadworthy vehicles in my little town , it looks like New Zealand 20 years ago , it's either new cars or old bangers that would never pass inspection
if we had check before re-registration like some states . I come from Japan and it's the rules there . You bring you car in for a preliminary check , given a list of
what needs fixing and you have 2 weeks to get them done OR , no new registration . The only people who get some exceptions are farmers , so we look after
them as we need them or we don't eat . I know this is a big country area wise , but why are there so many different rules when you cross borders ? I think
everything should be natioanlised so no-one gets confused , and also gets a fine for some that they did wrong in that state but not in their own . Kind of
ruins the start of a good vacation .

I have a grandson in a wheelchair who is unable to walk at all. When these spots are illegally taken up it is unsafe for him to get out of the car in a normal spot. He does exit the car from the rear but needs these spots so he has enough space to turn his electric wheelchair around. My daughter never uses his sticker unless he is with her. I get so frustrated by the laziness of some people and often wonder how they would feel if this situation was reversed. Rant over.

I have a grandson in a wheelchair who is unable to walk at all. When these spots are illegally taken up it is unsafe for him to get out of the car in a normal spot. He does exit the car from the rear but needs these spots so he has enough space to turn his electric wheelchair around. My daughter never uses his sticker unless he is with her. I get so frustrated by the laziness of some people and often wonder how they would feel if this situation was reversed. Rant over.
I know how you feel. My mum (88) and mother-in-law (101) are severely disabled and have the appropriate permits. Mum relies on me to drive her wherever she needs to go. MIL used to, but is now in a home. In all the times over the years that I drove them around, the number of times we were able to park in an ACROD (disability) bay, you could count on one hand. Almost invariably the spot was taken by someone not displaying the appropriate permit. Quite honestly, it is was infuriating. On the odd occasion when I tackled the miscreant driver, I was treated to all sorts of excuses, the usual being, "I was only going to be a minute".

Reactions: terri