Dream holiday in Australia turns to nightmare: 74-year-old tourist contracts ‘deadly’ disease

The allure of Australia's sun-kissed beaches, vibrant cities, and stunning wildlife draws visitors from all over the world.

But for one family, what started as a dream holiday turned into a harrowing fight for survival against a ‘deadly’ adversary.

Carmel Rodrigo, a 74-year-old tourist, had visited Australia for the first time and went to see her daughter, Gayathri Perera, and her young family in Melbourne.

After months of creating cherished memories through sightseeing and family gatherings, a night of sudden agony marked the beginning of an unforeseen battle.

447685064_905337894940667_4904448525627491561_na.jpg
Carmel Rodrigo was visiting her daughter in Melbourne when she contracted the disease. Image source: National Times/Facebook

Ms Rodrigo's screams of pain and the alarming discolouration and swelling of her hand signalled a medical emergency that would change their lives forever.

Ms Perera recounted: ‘She was screaming with pain and her hand was all swollen, going slightly blue.’

The frantic rush to the hospital and the agonising wait in the emergency room were just the prelude to a chilling diagnosis.

‘The doctors said it was an infection, but they couldn't recognise which kind, the spread was really fast,’ Ms Perera added. ‘I was told to pray because she only had a 10 per cent chance of survival.’

It turns out that Ms Rodrigo contracted Buruli ulcer, a disease that can ravage the skin and soft tissues with such ferocity that it can claim lives within 24 hours if not promptly treated.

The fight against this flesh-eating bacteria led to a heart-wrenching decision: the amputation of Ms Rodrigo's left hand. She is now sedated in the hospital to spare her from the ‘unbearable’ pain.

Spread by mosquitoes and possibly other animals, the Buruli ulcer has been detected in various Australian states, with cases fluctuating annually but showing an upward trend since 2017, according to Victoria's Department of Health.

The mystery of how Ms Rodrigo contracted the disease deepens the tragedy. With no known contact with soil or outdoor work—which are common risk factors—her family is left to wonder how a simple holiday could result in such a devastating condition.

‘She didn't even do gardening or anything, just nothing. She was chilling on her holiday,’ Ms Perera said.

The usual antibiotics, often effective against bacterial infections, have not been successful in Ms Rodrigo's case, leaving her family to face a long and uncertain road to recovery.

‘I live here alone with my husband and my children. I don't have any other family here. We just moved here, so even doctors think that it's really good for her to, you know, go back to where she was,’ Ms Perera shared.

In a plea for help, she has turned to the kindness of strangers through a GoFundMe page, hoping to alleviate the financial burden and focus on her mother's healing.

The description read: ‘My mother, Carmel, is visiting Australia for the first time and has only been in Melbourne since January this year. Currently, she is fighting for her life in the ICU at the Sunshine Hospital after a sudden infection, which has now led to a flesh-eating disease.’

‘She has been sedated for several weeks due to the unbearable pain and has just recently lost her left hand due to this disease as it is rapidly spreading.’

This tale serves as a stark reminder of the unpredictable nature of health and travel. It underscores the importance of awareness about rare diseases like the Buruli ulcer and the need for prompt medical attention when symptoms arise.

For Ms Perera and her family, the dream of a new life in Australia has been overshadowed by a nightmare scenario, but their resilience and hope for Ms Rodrigo's recovery continue to shine through the darkness.

Source: Yahoo Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • A 74-year-old woman visiting her daughter in Melbourne contracted a flesh-eating disease known as the Buruli ulcer.
  • The rapid advancement of the infection led to the amputation of Carmel Rodrigo's left hand and required her to be sedated in the hospital due to the unbearable pain.
  • The disease is spread by mosquitoes and possums and has seen an increase in cases in Victoria, Australia, in recent years.
  • The woman's family has been facing financial stress due to medical expenses, prompting them to create a GoFundMe page to help cover costs. It's unclear how long the woman will need to remain in the hospital.
We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our heartfelt wishes for Ms Rodrigo's recovery.

Have you or someone you know ever encountered a rare medical condition while travelling? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I hope she gets better soon, its a nightmare, i know how she feels, as i was bitten by a mosquito on my leg, it turned into ulcer which was then called the Bairnsdale ulcer now called Buruli ulcer same thing, it took weeks to heal, when it did it was like a volcano erupting and out popped this white thing that looked like the cigarette filter, months later I had this awful painful itch on my right side of my stomach, saw the doc it was the Buruli ulcer again which had laid dormant, ended up in hospital, I was the first one there to have this sort of ulcer, had to go around with a tube and bottle which was filling up with this black liquid then they put a big sponge on my stomach, and of cause my skin got attached to it, and when the day came to take of the sponge of, I was screaming in pain, they apologized that they could not give me anesthetic as it would feed what ever was there, mossie eggs, what a nightmare, finally I had to have a big skin graft this time I had anesthetic, then after 3 weeks I went home and had the district nurses come in to dress it, but was also told if I ever had a pimple that would not go away to see a doctor quickly, so far so good, but it was a nightmare, so I know what that poor lady is going through also I hate mosquitos.

I hope she gets better soon, its a nightmare, i know how she feels, as i was bitten by a mosquito on my leg, it turned into ulcer which was then called the Bairnsdale ulcer now called Buruli ulcer same thing, it took weeks to heal, when it did it was like a volcano erupting and out popped this white thing that looked like the cigarette filter, months later I had this awful painful itch on my right side of my stomach, saw the doc it was the Buruli ulcer again which had laid dormant, ended up in hospital, I was the first one there to have this sort of ulcer, had to go around with a tube and bottle which was filling up with this black liquid then they put a big sponge on my stomach, and of cause my skin got attached to it, and when the day came to take of the sponge of, I was screaming in pain, they apologized that they could not give me anesthetic as it would feed what ever was there, mossie eggs, what a nightmare, finally I had to have a big skin graft this time I had anesthetic, then after 3 weeks I went home and had the district nurses come in to dress it, but was also told if I ever had a pimple that would not go away to see a doctor quickly, so far so good, but it was a nightmare, so I know what that poor lady is going through also I hate mosquitos.
Omg that's a nightmare. Hope all goes well for you now❤️

Stay safe and my best wishes for your continued recovery.

My heart goes out to you - this sounds absolutely horrendous! Saying prayers and sending love and light for your improved health and recovery xxx

Reactions: KaraJenna
As the Insurance companies continue to tell us "if you can not afford Travel Insurance you can not afford to travel". My heart goes out to her coming on an extended holiday, catching a virus and losing her hand! I do hope she makes a full recovery and is able to return to her home safely.

We have had to listen to this covid disease propaganda for 3 years! Give it a break. PLEASE!!!! Everyone gets sick at times. That's life but the world doesn't care or need to know about it. If people are careless and travel without insurance and get sick, that is THEIR problem. Don't stick it to others. We've had ENOUGH!

• Haha
Reactions: marni
This smells suspiciously like PROPAGANDA!
Propaganda??? I do hope you are the healthiest person on this planet and never have to go through what some people suffer daily whether it is the loss of a hand (as in this case’) through one’s own actions or an unfortunate event or sickness or cancer which cannot be prevented. You have no sympathy for anyone - someone MAY come to your aid in your time of need or they may just say ‘let him suffer like everyone else, we don’t need fools like him to worry about’.

The article was about letting us know there is something out there that we may encounter and need to be aware of. It is not about having or not having travel insurance - it is about this disease being brought to our attention.

Reactions: Tervueren and marni