Don't make this mistake on your next flight! Here’s where you should never stand on a plane

We here at the SDC love to travel, and we've been lucky enough to see many different corners of the world in our time.

But as much as we love adventuring, there's no denying that flying can be a bit of a pain – especially if you're not used to it. So, it's no wonder that some passengers take any opportunity they can to get up and stretch their legs – even if that means standing in the aisle.

But what you might not realise is that by doing this, you could be endangering yourself and those around you.

We all know how annoying it can be to be stuck in a tiny seat on a long-haul flight, with legroom being pretty much non-existent. It can be cramped, uncomfortable, and boring, not to mention exhausting having to deal with other nightmarish passengers.

But if you think you have it bad, the cabin crew have it worse than you think.

plane1.JPG
Former flight attendant reveals why you shouldn’t stand on planes. Credit: Kelly in Pexels

Flight attendants must deal with passengers getting up and walking around during turbulence, or stretching their legs out into the aisle. Taller passengers specifically book aisle seats so they can have a bit of legroom during the trip.

However, one former flight attendant Madeline Forsyth has revealed why this is such a big no-no, and why cabin crew members hate it when passengers do this on flights.

In a previous interview, Madeline said that although stretching your limbs into the aisle is tempting, doing this could be potentially dangerous and painful.

She said: ‘Not only can crew members and other passengers trip over you, but it’s also hard for the flight attendants to see over the food and drinks cart.’ Madeline explained that people who have this habit are at risk of getting hit by a heavy trolley.

However, Madeline advised that people who need to stretch their legs may do so in between services. She reminds people that you can take a stroll up and down the aisle, just don’t do it when the cabin crew are working.

plane2.JPG
You can stroll up and down the plane aisle, just don’t do it when the cabin crew are working. Credit: Natã Romualdo in Pexels

Aside from that, Madeline included some additional reminders for people not to do during a flight. She said that people should refrain from asking the cabin crew to lift their bags for them, simply because it’s not part of their job to stow luggage on the plane.

It’s okay to ask for help once in a while, but Madeline said that people should also avoid bringing heavy baggage on the plane if they can’t take care of it themselves.

Another thing that passengers should refrain from doing is asking for food or drinks before take-off. Madeline explains that this is the busiest time for cabin crew – meaning that they don’t have time to fulfil requests for food or drinks.

It’s probably best to wait until the plane is safely in the air before asking for snacks.
Key Takeaways

• Don’t put your feet or legs in the aisle on a plane – it’s dangerous for both flight attendants and other passengers.
  • If you need to stretch, get up and walk around the plane between services.
  • Don’t ask for snacks before the plane takes off.
  • Refrain from asking flight attendants to stow your bags for you, unless you’re unable to do so because of an injury.
There you have it, dear members! What do you think about Madeline’s tips for your next flight? Do you have anything to add to her dos and don’ts list? Also, remember that next time you're feeling cramped on a plane, make sure to take a walk up and down the aisle during one of the scheduled breaks – just don't do it while everyone's trying to sleep or eat!

Sponsored
I think it s a shame that people need to be told these things. it should be common sense and simple curtesy.... but nowadays people have lost most social skills and are all "entitled". I was lucky enough to grow up with a grandfather who was very well off, having a cook, a housekeeper for cleaning and laundry, 3 gardeners and a chauffeur, and a nanny for me when I lived with him. one of the first things he taught me was "They are good people and working hard, so they deserve our respect! They have just not been as lucky as we were!" I remember that whenever someone does something for me: a sales girl, a nurse, care taker, or a flight attendant...

We here at the SDC love to travel, and we've been lucky enough to see many different corners of the world in our time.

But as much as we love adventuring, there's no denying that flying can be a bit of a pain – especially if you're not used to it. So, it's no wonder that some passengers take any opportunity they can to get up and stretch their legs – even if that means standing in the aisle.

But what you might not realise is that by doing this, you could be endangering yourself and those around you.

We all know how annoying it can be to be stuck in a tiny seat on a long-haul flight, with legroom being pretty much non-existent. It can be cramped, uncomfortable, and boring, not to mention exhausting having to deal with other nightmarish passengers.

View attachment 7658
Former flight attendant reveals why you shouldn’t stand on planes. Credit: Kelly in Pexels

Flight attendants must deal with passengers getting up and walking around during turbulence, or stretching their legs out into the aisle. Taller passengers specifically book aisle seats so they can have a bit of legroom during the trip.

However, one former flight attendant Madeline Forsyth has revealed why this is such a big no-no, and why cabin crew members hate it when passengers do this on flights.

In a previous interview, Madeline said that although stretching your limbs into the aisle is tempting, doing this could be potentially dangerous and painful.

She said: ‘Not only can crew members and other passengers trip over you, but it’s also hard for the flight attendants to see over the food and drinks cart.’ Madeline explained that people who have this habit are at risk of getting hit by a heavy trolley.

However, Madeline advised that people who need to stretch their legs may do so in between services. She reminds people that you can take a stroll up and down the aisle, just don’t do it when the cabin crew are working.

View attachment 7659
You can stroll up and down the plane aisle, just don’t do it when the cabin crew are working. Credit: Natã Romualdo in Pexels

Aside from that, Madeline included some additional reminders for people not to do during a flight. She said that people should refrain from asking the cabin crew to lift their bags for them, simply because it’s not part of their job to stow luggage on the plane.

It’s okay to ask for help once in a while, but Madeline said that people should also avoid bringing heavy baggage on the plane if they can’t take care of it themselves.

Another thing that passengers should refrain from doing is asking for food or drinks before take-off. Madeline explains that this is the busiest time for cabin crew – meaning that they don’t have time to fulfil requests for food or drinks.

It’s probably best to wait until the plane is safely in the air before asking for snacks.
Key Takeaways

• Don’t put your feet or legs in the aisle on a plane – it’s dangerous for both flight attendants and other passengers.
  • Refrain from asking flight attendants to stow your bags for you, unless you’re unable to do so because of an injury.
There you have it, dear members! What do you think about Madeline’s tips for your next flight? Do you have anything to add to her dos and don’ts list? Also, remember that next time you're feeling cramped on a plane, make sure to take a walk up and down the aisle during one of the scheduled breaks – just don't do it while everyone's trying to sleep or eat!
All the advice here seems to be common Sense to me.

View attachment 7658

View attachment 7659

Key Takeaways

I understand the frustration Madeline is speaking of but one thing she doesn’t cover is help with luggage in overhead compartment I’m five feet tall and age 72 my carry on luggage is always at the correct weight but I cannot safely put my luggage in the overhead compartment I simply cannot reach thankfully there is often a very kind gentleman or even sometimes a nice lady that will offer me some help
im a very independent woman and I hate asking for help but sometimes it’s inevitable perhaps the airline’s should designate some help for passengers like me I didn’t design these planes and there is nothing I can do about my height

I think it s a shame that people need to be told these things. it should be common sense and simple curtesy.... but nowadays people have lost most social skills and are all "entitled". I was lucky enough to grow up with a grandfather who was very well off, having a cook, a housekeeper for cleaning and laundry, 3 gardeners and a chauffeur, and a nanny for me when I lived with him. one of the first things he taught me was "They are good people and working hard, so they deserve our respect! They have just not been as lucky as we were!" I remember that whenever someone does something for me: a sales girl, a nurse, care taker, or a flight attendant...
I agree totally. I too have been brought up in that environment.

View attachment 7658

View attachment 7659

Key Takeaways

When/if obtaining seating/boarding pass in airport tell desk clerk you have claustrophobia and would prefer a seat that is as uncramped as possible. The worst possible seat on a long haul Qantas flight is behind the wing. It has at least 1/4 less area than economy. I wanted off after a half hour.

It depends on the airline re helping people lift bags into o/h lockers. Also issue re asking to drinks before take off is also airline dependent. Not airlines are equal. I could haze at a guess as to which airline she predominantly worked for. The clues are about looking after staff and not passengers.

Reactions: NanaH, Ezzy and RTS
Planes are designed so that seats can move closer or further apart. It is not a design issue but an an airline co. issu

So sardines it is, then?
So sardines it is, then?

Planes are designed so that seats can move closer or further apart. It is not a design issue but an an airline co. issue.
Airline CEOs and shareholders need to recalibrate their concept of human v fiscal values. Before you know it there will be a back section especially designed, for special price! called Standing Room Only.

I understand the frustration Madeline is speaking of but one thing she doesn’t cover is help with luggage in overhead compartment I’m five feet tall and age 72 my carry on luggage is always at the correct weight but I cannot safely put my luggage in the overhead compartment I simply cannot reach thankfully there is often a very kind gentleman or even sometimes a nice lady that will offer me some help
im a very independent woman and I hate asking for help but sometimes it’s inevitable perhaps the airline’s should designate some help for passengers like me I didn’t design these planes and there is nothing I can do about my height
I'm sure they'd be happy to help if asked, as I have the same issue, vertically challenged

View attachment 7658

View attachment 7659

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Nanna@Goulburn
Hi thank fully I am bot guilty of any of those things while flying its common sense to me may be not for a to of other travellers.

Reactions: NanaH and Ezzy