Don't let limescale ruin your cup of tea - here's how to clean your kettle in four easy steps without scrubbing!

Ever wondered what that strange substance in your kettle is?

Limescale is a chalky white substance that can build up on the inside of your kettle over time. This happens when water is boiled and the calcium in the water is left behind as it evaporates.

The build-up of limescale can make kettles less efficient and can also change the taste of the water.

So, how can we easily remove limescale from our kettles?

Well, Carolina McCauley, also known as 'Queen of Home Hacks', has shared an easy tip for descaling a kettles without breaking a sweat!

Sharing a video explaining the simple method on Instagram, the mum-of-two revealed that all you need is some vinegar and elbow grease.

She begins the clip by showing the inside of her kettle, which was covered with 'yucky' limescale.

Carolina then adds a cup of water and equal parts of vinegar to the kettle and sets it aside for about 30 minutes.

Once the kettle has soaked long enough, the super-organised mum turns it on to boil.

Finally, she pours out the steaming water-vinegar mixture down the drain before showing off the gleaming, scale-free interior of the kettle.

'Clean and shiny,' she remarks.

'Don't forget to rinse.'

The video has gone viral on social media, garnering more than 500,000 views and hundreds of comments from users.

One person wrote: 'This is awesome, thank you, my kettle has heaps of limescale.'

uV0_Db8NBQvi-vd9EceMiz_igWN2-XlTxdqqmVyrWEw9-m8RkAoif_bGI1ETDbtCtKlFhJ78lf46EqHOQvd3A3V4NMRYhJpHeQYhP6R2FamixFnlWTGSusgfG1Fu8S0yM2URUZB2g_Z-yH1gzSEaLnR2RUWTaEc9ERBwCCDdurTxiU4W0tVlF3O6
TlFC2lb1sdFXOCaydd3Aa-fGqFcPe0AJpT1wAjqnhZ39avUY_qSLZfeZhnuF60yX9oqznwNorH1GzdCfndHSvsjIpOh5clPv8FXs-P6l5BrwVRzYGEVNQg8kFe8laqwiaQByk--t3pWN7I35xZIOlaFO9p7Co2tg5Mt33oQwj6cbjtfiwSieEiZM

The easy tip does not require any scrubbing. Credit: Instagram/Carolina McCauley.

While there are several supporters of the tip, not everyone seemed to agree.

One user claimed: 'I just tried this and it didn't work.'

'Just get one lemon, cut it in half and boil it. I've been doing it for years for my kettle. It works,' another suggested.

Another advised using 'distilled water' rather than tap water to prevent buildup.

The user recommended: 'It’s better for tea, coffee and herbal teas anyway with the added benefit of no limescale because distilled water contains no minerals.'

It's no secret that keeping your kitchenware clean can be a challenge. But with a few simple tips from the internet (specifically, the SDC), you can easily get your pots and pans sparkling clean in no time.

Also, be sure to check your cookware's care manual before trying any tips from the internet. Each type of cookware has different cleaning requirements, so it's important to know what will work best for them.

Do you know other tips for easily descaling a kettle? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'll try the method with my kettle but what I really need to know is how to clean the inside of a teapot. Mine is looking decidedly 'black'!!

Reactions: Ricci

Limescale is a chalky white substance that can build up on the inside of your kettle over time. This happens when water is boiled and the calcium in the water is left behind as it evaporates.

The build-up of limescale can make kettles less efficient and can also change the taste of the water.

Well, Carolina McCauley, also known as 'Queen of Home Hacks', has shared an easy tip for descaling a kettles without breaking a sweat!

Sharing a video explaining the simple method on Instagram, the mum-of-two revealed that all you need is some vinegar and elbow grease.

She begins the clip by showing the inside of her kettle, which was covered with 'yucky' limescale.

Carolina then adds a cup of water and equal parts of vinegar to the kettle and sets it aside for about 30 minutes.

Once the kettle has soaked long enough, the super-organised mum turns it on to boil.

Finally, she pours out the steaming water-vinegar mixture down the drain before showing off the gleaming, scale-free interior of the kettle.

'Don't forget to rinse.'

The video has gone viral on social media, garnering more than 500,000 views and hundreds of comments from users.

One person wrote: 'This is awesome, thank you, my kettle has heaps of limescale.'

uV0_Db8NBQvi-vd9EceMiz_igWN2-XlTxdqqmVyrWEw9-m8RkAoif_bGI1ETDbtCtKlFhJ78lf46EqHOQvd3A3V4NMRYhJpHeQYhP6R2FamixFnlWTGSusgfG1Fu8S0yM2URUZB2g_Z-yH1gzSEaLnR2RUWTaEc9ERBwCCDdurTxiU4W0tVlF3O6
TlFC2lb1sdFXOCaydd3Aa-fGqFcPe0AJpT1wAjqnhZ39avUY_qSLZfeZhnuF60yX9oqznwNorH1GzdCfndHSvsjIpOh5clPv8FXs-P6l5BrwVRzYGEVNQg8kFe8laqwiaQByk--t3pWN7I35xZIOlaFO9p7Co2tg5Mt33oQwj6cbjtfiwSieEiZM

The easy tip does not require any scrubbing. Credit: Instagram/Carolina McCauley.

'Just get one lemon, cut it in half and boil it. I've been doing it for years for my kettle. It works,' another suggested.

Another advised using 'distilled water' rather than tap water to prevent buildup.

The user recommended: 'It’s better for tea, coffee and herbal teas anyway with the added benefit of no limescale because distilled water contains no minerals.'

It's no secret that keeping your kitchenware clean can be a challenge. But with a few simple tips from the internet (specifically, the SDC), you can easily get your pots and pans sparkling clean in no time.

Also, be sure to check your cookware's care manual before trying any tips from the internet. Each type of cookware has different cleaning requirements, so it's important to know what will work best for them.

Do you know other tips for easily descaling a kettle? Share them with us in the comments below!

I cannot stand the taste and smell of vinegar, so we use a lemon to do this. It works, and no terrible smell.

I'll try the method with my kettle but what I really need to know is how to clean the inside of a teapot. Mine is looking decidedly 'black'!!
I have used denture tablets for cleaning stained cups so I think the same would work in a teapot if it is a china one, not sure about a metal one. Just put some hot water in the pot and drop one tablet in. Let it soak for an our or so, and voila!!

I have been doing this for many years while travelling in my carrevan
Especially when using bore water as most water bores contain a lot of calcium

Vinegar works well for cleaning appliances.
I recently used new dishwasher tablets and it left a white film all inside the stainless steel cabinet.
Wouldn't clean off by hand.
Bosch advised doing a hot cycle with vinegar.
Worked!
Back to using my trusty Ecostore dishwasher powder.

Try using a magic sponge. They easily remove tea stains from cups and mugs so this should work just as well with a teapot

Reactions: Ricci and Net
I use filtered water to cut down on the amount of lime scale that ends up in my kettle and body. One tbsp of apple cider vinegar daily will clean arteries of lime scale too.

'Don't forget to rinse.'

Just tried it...did not work for me either.....

It makes me laugh when these so called "hack queens" come up with something I (and probably a lot of we) have been using for at least 50 years. I've used both vinegar and lemon....

It depends what you're teapot is made of but the old wives tales said you should never clean your teapot as it adds to the flavour. However, I use a dishwashing tablet in mine every so often. fill the pot with tap hot water drop in a tablet and leave it to do its thing. Depending on the amount of discoloration it might take a couple of goes but it should come up like new.:)

We used to have a thingy that went in the kettle and stayed there merrily collecting all the limescale. It looked a bit like a brillo pad, minus the soap and every so often we would take it out, rinse it under the tap and pop it back to continue its job. It lasted for years, we bought it for a few cents from the hardware store, I'm sure they'd know all about them.:)

Try using a magic sponge. They easily remove tea stains from cups and mugs so this should work just as well with a teapot
You can use toor three tablespoons of white king then fill it with warm water and leave it overnight then rise it out until you get the smell of white king out of it PS DONT USE BOILING WATER AS YOU DONT WANT TO BREATH THE FUMES FROM THE STEAM