Don't fall for this dangerous scam text targeting myGov users!

‘Tis the season to be jolly… and alert!

There are reports of a new text message scam circulating the cyber corridors.

MyGov users especially need to be on the lookout, as the scam is impersonating the Australian government.

This one is particularly sneaky; its aim is to get hold of your personal details through something called ‘phishing’, where scammers trick people out of important personal details like usernames and passwords.

Someone posted a screenshot of the text on Facebook, warning others about it.

The message, which is sent from an unrecognised mobile number, reads: ‘Your income return of $1800.34 could not be processed due to insufficient information supplied. Please update immediately at (link).’

‘This is another SCAM doing the rounds, please don’t fall for it,’ he wrote.

pexels-photo-7545044.jpg
A Facebook user has warned of a new text scam targeting myGov users. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/SHVETS production

MyGov has been the subject of various scams throughout the year, including one reported by our member @Cecily E. about an ‘outstanding refund’ later confirmed by Services Australia to be a scam.

It's true — it can be hard to tell a real message from a fake. But there are a couple of key warning signs to look out for if you get a text like this.

Firstly: it came from a mobile number. Several reputable sources, including the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, say that myGov will never send you anything from a mobile number.

Last November, Services Australia also issued a similar reminder.

‘Watch out! Scammers want your personal information and may pretend to be from myGov, Services Australia or one of your linked government services,’ they said.

‘MyGov will never send you personal emails or SMS with links, web addresses or attachments. Don’t click on links, don’t open attachments, or respond to the sender.’

The second key indicator is language and grammar. Any tax or government-related messages you receive should always be professional and well-written. Grammatical errors, odd punctuation, and strange, informal language can often be a sign of someone up to no good.

ahfba.png
Never click on links in messages or correspondences that ask you to update your information as these lead to fake websites. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio

Another thing that complicates the whole situation is that scammers can also pretend to be your bank and other services through a technique called spoofing where they use technology that makes messages, calls, and emails appear on your phone as if they come from legitimate channels (e.g the scam message appears on the same thread as those from your bank’s regular ones).

The holidays have seen a rise in warnings about various means fraudsters will try to swindle people out of their money at a time when the mood is generally festive and people let their guards down.

By the year’s end, the Australian Consumer & Competition (ACCC) estimates that Aussies will lose up to $4 billion to scams.

If ever you come across a suspicious-looking message or any other form of contact asking you to give out information — especially account details — we stress: do not engage, and simply ignore. You may also opt to block the number on your phone.

Now, if you think you’ve replied to a scam, myGov says to contact their Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.

You may also report the scam to the ACCC’s Scamwatch programme and access their guidelines on what you can do in case you fall victim.
Key Takeaways

• Users of the Australian government's myGov website are warned about a new text message scam in circulation which is requesting personal details for people to receive an 'income return'.
  • The text message, sent from an unrecognised mobile number, requests the recipient to update their information and provides a link to do so, which is a potential sign of phishing attack.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the myGov website both have active warnings about phishing scams and have released example images of what potential scams messages may look like.
  • If you receive any suspicious messages, you should call the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.
As much as we want to tell only feel-good stories for the silly season, we also want to do our part to warn members to keep an eye out for these nasty scammers.

Check out our Scam Watch forum to be updated!

What is your reaction to this news? Have you come across a similar scam using myGov? What did you do?

Share your thoughts and experiences below!

Source: YouTube/7News Australia

Sponsored
They do send text letting you know you have a letter in mygov .

You can opt out and ask for snail mail

I get all my letters on line as I get them instantly
They never send a link for you to click on and never ask for details

They leave it up to you to go to your inbox in my gov

Best thing is never click on any links just go directly to whatever you want to look up yourself

MyGov users especially need to be on the lookout, as the scam is impersonating the Australian government.

This one is particularly sneaky; its aim is to get hold of your personal details through something called ‘phishing’, where scammers trick people out of important personal details like usernames and passwords.

The message, which is sent from an unrecognised mobile number, reads: ‘Your income return of $1800.34 could not be processed due to insufficient information supplied. Please update immediately at (link).’

View attachment 10499
A Facebook user has warned of a new text scam targeting myGov users. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/SHVETS production

MyGov has been the subject of various scams throughout the year, including one reported by our member @Cecily E. about an ‘outstanding refund’ later confirmed by Services Australia to be a scam.

It's true — it can be hard to tell a real message from a fake. But there are a couple of key warning signs to look out for if you get a text like this.

Firstly: it came from a mobile number. Several reputable sources, including the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, say that myGov will never send you anything from a mobile number.

‘Watch out! Scammers want your personal information and may pretend to be from myGov, Services Australia or one of your linked government services,’ they said.

‘MyGov will never send you personal emails or SMS with links, web addresses or attachments. Don’t click on links, don’t open attachments, or respond to the sender.’

The second key indicator is language and grammar. Any tax or government-related messages you receive should always be professional and well-written. Grammatical errors, odd punctuation, and strange, informal language can often be a sign of someone up to no good.

View attachment 10498
Never click on links in messages or correspondences that ask you to update your information as these lead to fake websites. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio

Another thing that complicates the whole situation is that scammers can also pretend to be your bank and other services through a technique called spoofing where they use technology that makes messages, calls, and emails appear on your phone as if they come from legitimate channels (e.g the scam message appears on the same thread as those from your bank’s regular ones).

The holidays have seen a rise in warnings about various means fraudsters will try to swindle people out of their money at a time when the mood is generally festive and people let their guards down.

By the year’s end, the Australian Consumer & Competition (ACCC) estimates that Aussies will lose up to $4 billion to scams.

If ever you come across a suspicious-looking message or any other form of contact asking you to give out information — especially account details — we stress: do not engage, and simply ignore. You may also opt to block the number on your phone.

Now, if you think you’ve replied to a scam, myGov says to contact their Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.

You may also report the scam to the ACCC’s Scamwatch programme and access their guidelines on what you can do in case you fall victim.
Key Takeaways

• Users of the Australian government's myGov website are warned about a new text message scam in circulation which is requesting personal details for people to receive an 'income return'.
  • The text message, sent from an unrecognised mobile number, requests the recipient to update their information and provides a link to do so, which is a potential sign of phishing attack.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the myGov website both have active warnings about phishing scams and have released example images of what potential scams messages may look like.
  • If you receive any suspicious messages, you should call the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.
As much as we want to tell only feel-good stories for the silly season, we also want to do our part to warn members to keep an eye out for these nasty scammers.

What is your reaction to this news? Have you come across a similar scam using myGov? What did you do?

Bloody parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I came across a new one last week, but wasn’t with it enough at the time to take a screen shot - wish I had!

I went to use the ANZ app on my phone to check if a payment had gone through, and was met with a blanket over the opening page telling me it was a Trojan virus, and to get rid of it, I only had to enter my password. Thankfully, I assumed it wanted the device password, and when that didn’t work, I thought they must’ve wanted the operating system password. - still assuming it was the phone’s anti-bugware providing the warning. By the third try, I realised they wanted the banking password, DIDN’T try that, but just deleted the app.

Very thankful to have escaped that one!

These rotters get more and more creative all the time.

View attachment 10499

View attachment 10498

Key Takeaways

I got caught once only early one morning when I was brain fogged and my Amazon a/c was hacked. Luckily a happy outcome from the bank.
My rule is, any sms or email - go to my bookmarks and direct to MYgov, bank, company or whatever. Never never through a link

I recently received 2 emails from 'Linkdt' qld toll requesting update of my debit card details linked to my account. Now these accounts do run out if you're using the pre-paid toll service although you can elect to have a top-up function added to the account. The card details linked to this account had not changed, so why would they need updating. The logo looked legitimate but as I hadn't changed my card details, and after the2nd email, I went to the linkdt app and checked my account. Long story short, don't click on any links in emails and texts. Phone, use legitimate aps. And, always trust your instincts.

Received mygov email asking me to contact them. They gave me a code # to access. I dont think so. Have had a few from Linkdt to say my account was too low and to top up. I knew I had credit with Linkdt so as always I delete these emails. I can understand how some people are led to believe these are credible. Sadly it is now a very suspicious world we live in.

Bloody parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I came across a new one last week, but wasn’t with it enough at the time to take a screen shot - wish I had!

I went to use the ANZ app on my phone to check if a payment had gone through, and was met with a blanket over the opening page telling me it was a Trojan virus, and to get rid of it, I only had to enter my password. Thankfully, I assumed it wanted the device password, and when that didn’t work, I thought they must’ve wanted the operating system password. - still assuming it was the phone’s anti-bugware providing the warning. By the third try, I realised they wanted the banking password, DIDN’T try that, but just deleted the app.

Very thankful to have escaped that one!

These rotters get more and more creative all the time.
Trgualara Scott sent you a money request
Payment request details
Amount requested
$599.99 USD
NOTE FROM Trgualara Scott:
Your Paypal account has been used to purchase Google Pixel for $599. 99 If you didn't place this order. Call us at 808 229-2304 / (808) 229-2163
Transaction ID
U-7T917445PM895020R
Transaction date
December 17, 2022
3rd time this week from 3 different people !!!!!!!!!! I,ll ring paypal monday just to confirm scam . I JUST DON,T OPEN ANYTHING i.m not expecting !!!

Last edited:
I fell for that one :( I was expecting something (legitimate) of that nature but still should have known better. Thankfully, my bank was already onto it and blocked the withdrawals.
Would you believe it? Just got the same one again! Slightly different, but still the same. Don't they ever give up? I guess the answer is NO.

Trgualara Scott sent you a money request
Payment request details
Amount requested
$599.99 USD
NOTE FROM Trgualara Scott:
Your Paypal account has been used to purchase Google Pixel for $599. 99 If you didn't place this order. Call us at 808 229-2304 / (808) 229-2163
Transaction ID
U-7T917445PM895020R
Transaction date
December 17, 2022
3rd time this week from 3 different people !!!!!!!!!! I,ll ring paypal monday just to confirm scam . I JUST DON,T OPEN ANYTHING i.m not expecting !!!
Just got of the phone to paypal and is definately a scam . It,s so easy to check and don,t open links !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Just got of the phone to paypal and is definately a scam . It,s so easy to check and don,t open links !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advise from paypal
Phishing emails often lead you to fake websites to steal your private, sensitive data. These websites could look unusual or they could appear genuine but have a suspicious URL.

If you receive a suspicious email or website link:

1. Don’t click on any links inside of the email or in the website, and don’t download any attachments.
  2. Don’t enter any information.
  3. Don’t change the subject line and don’t forward the message as an attachment.
  4. Forward the email and/or website to [email protected].
  5. Delete the email from your inbox.

Has any one else gotten a text saying 'Hey Mum I lost my phone please add my new number to your phone.'
Or that they had borrowed a friends phone to text. (I got both) Since I never had kids I know it wasn't legit, or if it was they had sent it to the wrong number. I then went to the vet with my cat and got talking to another woman there who had received a similar message, but she had 6 kids so replied which one are you. They simply said the eldest. Just then the nurse came over and overhearing us, said it was a scam. They get you to believe they are your son/daughter and then ask for money. The poor woman ran out to her car where her husband was waiting and told hem not to send money. She then returned to the vet's waiting room and thanked me and the nurse for letting her know.
So watch out if you get a text from someone saying that are your child, and after you check, block the number. They are calling from lots of different numbers so watch out.

Has any one else gotten a text saying 'Hey Mum I lost my phone please add my new number to your phone.'
Or that they had borrowed a friends phone to text. (I got both) Since I never had kids I know it wasn't legit, or if it was they had sent it to the wrong number. I then went to the vet with my cat and got talking to another woman there who had received a similar message, but she had 6 kids so replied which one are you. They simply said the eldest. Just then the nurse came over and overhearing us, said it was a scam. They get you to believe they are your son/daughter and then ask for money. The poor woman ran out to her car where her husband was waiting and told hem not to send money. She then returned to the vet's waiting room and thanked me and the nurse for letting her know.
So watch out if you get a text from someone saying that are your child, and after you check, block the number. They are calling from lots of different numbers so watch out.
And the numbers are spoofed - usually they don't exist but sometimes they are impersonating a real number.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10499

View attachment 10498

Key Takeaways

I received a txt msg from alleged Centrelink to answer an incoming call from a mobile number. I fortunately missed both because I was busy at physio.

Reactions: Ricci