Don’t underestimate your squeegee! Here are other uses for the common household tool

Some things look so simple but can do so much. The squeegee is one great example. It also doesn’t hurt that it is highly accessible with a pocket-friendly price tag!

Users of the social news website Reddit are the latest to sing praises of the tool. One Redditor marvelled at how much it helped him ‘pull a surprising amount of pet hair’ from his carpet.

A member responding to the post asked what everyone else is probably wondering: ‘Does the vacuum not remove this?’

The author replied: ‘I have a Dyson. It will certainly pick up a lot of hair, but the spinning plastic bristles can only get so deep between the carpet fibres.’ They added: ‘I feel like the squeegee did a better job of getting what was deeply embedded out.’

Someone else chimed in: ‘This is really cool. Do you have to apply a lot of pressure?’

The original poster replied: ‘It worked reasonably well with light pressure and multiple strokes. But I could usually get a fair bit more out with heavier pressure.’

We recently wrote a whole story on this topic after one Aussie discovered the secret use of this Kmart rubber broom.

Another Redditor chimed in: ‘I use this for the carpets in our house. I apply the same amount of pressure as if I’m just sweeping. I’d rather go over the same after a few times to make sure I get it all anyway. It’s so satisfying.’

One member posted another question: ‘Is this a wet or dry squeegee?’ The author confirmed that it was dry.

A user who found the tip relevant wrote: ‘As the owner of two cats and 22” of human hair, I probably should do this. However, I am too terrified of what I might find!’

The OP (original poster) responded, saying: ‘Honestly, half the reason I did this was to try to reduce the number of times I have to stop to empty the canister while using my upright vacuum!’

And if you think you need a special squeegee to do the job, you’d be surprised. The author also shared: ‘This is an ordinary floor squeegee I already had for my garage!’

Carpets can be notoriously hard to clean, especially if you live with furry friends. In time, carpet will accumulate dust, hair, fur, and dirt. Sometimes, a lint roller or an ordinary vacuum won’t suffice – you might need a specific model or attachment just to remove pet hair. A squeegee becomes a godsend when you don’t have the budget for a vacuum that can do just that.

pexels-karolina-grabowska-4239147.jpg
You can ensure a streak-free mirror with a squeegee. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

The good news doesn’t end there, though, as the squeegee is pretty versatile. If you already own the tool or plan on getting one, then you might get more use out of it than you’d expect. Here are other ways people have used squeegees in their homes:
  • Does your car upholstery look like it’s trapping pet hair that is also hard to remove? Take a spray bottle with water, wet the surface, and use a squeegee to remove the fur. It should take a few strokes, but the resulting clump should feel satisfying (albeit gross).
  • Smashed any plates or glass accidentally? Collect the broken pieces with a dustpan and a squeegee instead of using your hand (which is dangerous) or a broom (which could miss pieces).
  • Want to clean your tiled, laminated, or hardwood floors? Using a squeegee traps dirt from the crevices before you even proceed with applying liquid cleaners.
  • It pays to have a squeegee handy in the bathroom if you want to remove water spots on the shower walls and door. If you squeegee after every wash, you can save yourself time during your scheduled bathroom deep-cleaning.
  • Have spills on countertops? A squeegee should make pushing the liquid onto the sink easier with a single swipe.
  • A squeegee can even help install wallpaper as it smoothens the material and prevents any air bubbles.

Some have even used the tool to express themselves through art – and it’s not just for screen printing or photography where the squeegee already comes in handy. Watch how a Paris-based artist made an abstract painting with a squeegee:

Do you have any favourite tools in the household that can be used in multiple ways as the squeegee? Share your knowledge in the comments below!

Reactions: winny and BJM
Sponsored
Some things look so simple but can do so much. The squeegee is one great example. It also doesn’t hurt that it is highly accessible with a pocket-friendly price tag!

Users of the social news website Reddit are the latest to sing praises of the tool. One Redditor marvelled at how much it helped him ‘pull a surprising amount of pet hair’ from his carpet.

A member responding to the post asked what everyone else is probably wondering: ‘Does the vacuum not remove this?’

The author replied: ‘I have a Dyson. It will certainly pick up a lot of hair, but the spinning plastic bristles can only get so deep between the carpet fibres.’ They added: ‘I feel like the squeegee did a better job of getting what was deeply embedded out.’

Someone else chimed in: ‘This is really cool. Do you have to apply a lot of pressure?’

The original poster replied: ‘It worked reasonably well with light pressure and multiple strokes. But I could usually get a fair bit more out with heavier pressure.’

We recently wrote a whole story on this topic after one Aussie discovered the secret use of this Kmart rubber broom.

Another Redditor chimed in: ‘I use this for the carpets in our house. I apply the same amount of pressure as if I’m just sweeping. I’d rather go over the same after a few times to make sure I get it all anyway. It’s so satisfying.’

One member posted another question: ‘Is this a wet or dry squeegee?’ The author confirmed that it was dry.

A user who found the tip relevant wrote: ‘As the owner of two cats and 22” of human hair, I probably should do this. However, I am too terrified of what I might find!’

The OP (original poster) responded, saying: ‘Honestly, half the reason I did this was to try to reduce the number of times I have to stop to empty the canister while using my upright vacuum!’

And if you think you need a special squeegee to do the job, you’d be surprised. The author also shared: ‘This is an ordinary floor squeegee I already had for my garage!’

Carpets can be notoriously hard to clean, especially if you live with furry friends. In time, carpet will accumulate dust, hair, fur, and dirt. Sometimes, a lint roller or an ordinary vacuum won’t suffice – you might need a specific model or attachment just to remove pet hair. A squeegee becomes a godsend when you don’t have the budget for a vacuum that can do just that.

View attachment 7676
You can ensure a streak-free mirror with a squeegee. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

The good news doesn’t end there, though, as the squeegee is pretty versatile. If you already own the tool or plan on getting one, then you might get more use out of it than you’d expect. Here are other ways people have used squeegees in their homes:
  • Does your car upholstery look like it’s trapping pet hair that is also hard to remove? Take a spray bottle with water, wet the surface, and use a squeegee to remove the fur. It should take a few strokes, but the resulting clump should feel satisfying (albeit gross).
  • Smashed any plates or glass accidentally? Collect the broken pieces with a dustpan and a squeegee instead of using your hand (which is dangerous) or a broom (which could miss pieces).
  • Want to clean your tiled, laminated, or hardwood floors? Using a squeegee traps dirt from the crevices before you even proceed with applying liquid cleaners.
  • It pays to have a squeegee handy in the bathroom if you want to remove water spots on the shower walls and door. If you squeegee after every wash, you can save yourself time during your scheduled bathroom deep-cleaning.
  • Have spills on countertops? A squeegee should make pushing the liquid onto the sink easier with a single swipe.
  • A squeegee can even help install wallpaper as it smoothens the material and prevents any air bubbles.

Some have even used the tool to express themselves through art – and it’s not just for screen printing or photography where the squeegee already comes in handy. Watch how a Paris-based artist made an abstract painting with a squeegee:

Do you have any favourite tools in the household that can be used in multiple ways as the squeegee? Share your knowledge in the comments below!

Yes I have a tip I use that gets a lot of pet hair that has sort of welded itself onto lounges etc. All it takes is a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and stroke them along where hair has collected. It comes off readily sometimes might need a second sweep, but it does work.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7676

The best way to keep carpets clean is to not have any as you will never get all of the dust out from underneath unless you take them out side and bash the crap out of them and vacuum the dust left on the floor..... we had ours removed and replaced with linoleum.... if you have cold feet put slippers or socks on.... simples

Reactions: Ricci