Dog groomer faces $7500 fine after shocking treatment to customer’s pet

Furry friends are often part of the family, as they provide joy and emotional support for their owners.

Despite this, instances of animal mistreatment are still prevalent—with some still happening in spaces where owners entrust their pets.

An incident caught on camera shocked and appalled pet owners across Australia, leading to a hefty fine and conversations about pet care services.

A suburban pet groomer slapped and threw a Maltese x Shih Tzu dog during a routine grooming session.

The footage showed the dog named Luffy barking and struggling as the groomer attempted to wash and shave him.

The situation escalated when the groomer took Luffy into another room and threw him.

compressed-photo (8).jpeg
The pet groomer struggled to groom Luffy, leading her to harm the dog physically. Image Credit: RSPCA Western Australia

As the owner picked Luffy up, he was visibly distressed and had blood around his eye.

A subsequent veterinary examination confirmed the injuries, which were then reported to the animal advocacy group Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) Western Australia.

The organisation, dedicated to preventing animal cruelty, described the groomer's actions as 'a breach of trust' and promptly took the matter to court.

The court's proceedings led to the conviction of the groomer under the state's Animal Welfare Act 2002 for cruelty and causing unnecessary harm to Luffy.

RSPCA Inspector Manager Kylie Green pointed out that Luffy was ‘terrified’.

She also emphasised the pet owners’ rights to expect groomers to act professionally and with kindness, among other things.

‘Trained groomers should always use the correct equipment and approved grooming techniques to keep themselves and the dog safe,’ she said.

‘A groomer of the offender’s experience should know how to stop a difficult appointment. There is no excuse to lash out and hurt a defenceless animal.’

While the maximum penalty for animal cruelty in Western Australia can reach $50,000 and a five-year prison sentence, the groomer was given a spent conviction.

The fines cost around $2,500 and an additional $5,000—totalling $7500. The groomer was also dismissed from her workplace.

This case reminds pet owners of the importance of vetting pet care services and advocating for the humane treatment of animals.

Pet owners should research and select reputable groomers who are transparent about their practices and have a positive track record with animal welfare.

If you witness any form of animal cruelty in your neighbourhood, immediately report them to the RSPCA here or contact local authorities.
Key Takeaways

• A suburban dog groomer was caught on camera after slapping and throwing a dog during a grooming session.
  • The groomer was convicted under the state's Animal Welfare Act 2002 for being cruel to the dog and causing unnecessary harm.
  • The RSPCA Western Australia described the incident as a 'breach of trust', emphasising that pet owners expect groomers to treat their pets with care and professionalism.
  • The offender received a spent conviction, with fines up to $7500 and expulsion from work.
How do you ensure your pet’s safety when visiting the groomers? Share your experiences and go-to pet shops in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I struggle sometimes to bath & clip my 2 "boys" but I would never let them out of my sight into the hands of a groomer I don't know. I know they can get restless when being clipped & I would not want them to be hurt by some careless groomer.

When my mum was alive, she used the services of a home dog wash/grooming service. Those ones that have a blue dog shaped trailer on the back of the car.
Those two dogs were treated so well, they used to get excited when the blue trailer pulled up.
I looked in a couple of times and the look on those dog's faces was one of bliss.
I think it makes a difference having the right person doing the job. I doubt that I would ever take my puppies anywhere. I would have them groomed at home so I can be there by their side.
The rogue groomer was definitely in the wrong line of work.

Reactions: Ezzy
I used to groom dogs. One of my first dogs was a Poodle she was difficult and I had to firm with her. I certainly never treated a dog like that groomer. Anyway a week later the owner phoned me up I wondered what she was going to say to me. Well she said my girl was no different when she came home, because she took many days to settle back, where with me she went home and was totally the same. I was so pleased.

Reactions: MariaG and Ezzy
Sad story, especially for the poor dog.

All our furbabies have come from Hostels & we never know what their life was like before they came to us. If Luffy was such a dog he may well have been mistreated in a similar manner before. Even if he wasn't this is still no way to treat any pet, whether yours or one in your custody for grooming.

Reactions: MariaG