Stanier123

Jul 23, 2022
Does your GP really know about cholesterol?

This excerpt is from Dr Ben Kim’s newsletter. In my experience GPs know little about nutrition and are too soon to put you on a pill. Your health is your responsibility so it is up to you to ask the right questions. All pharmaceuticals have side effects. Ask your pharmacist as the pharmacist is impartial and more knowledgeable. GPS measure LDL and HDL, NOT cholesterol!!

Dr. Ben Kim's Newsletter
September 12, 2022

In discussing seed oils last week, I received a number of questions about cholesterol - here are a few reminders on this topic:

1. Cholesterol contributes to cell membrane rigidity and strength, and is a significant component of all of our cell membranes.

2. Cholesterol is needed to make vitamin D, estrogen, and progesterone.

3. Cholesterol goes into making bile, which is needed to digest fat in our food.

4. Cholesterol is a powerful antioxidant that offers protection against cellular damage.

5. Cholesterol helps maintain a healthy intestinal lining.

It's simple: without cholesterol, we cannot live.

But what to do about high LDL?

Here are some facts about LDL and HDL that the vast majority of people still don't seem to know:

LDL and HDL are not types of cholesterol.

LDL and HDL are lipoproteins that transport cholesterol through your circulatory system - cholesterol on its own cannot travel through the blood.

LDL is often mistakenly thought of as being bad cholesterol because it carries cholesterol to your arteries.

HDL is often mistakenly referred to as good cholesterol because it carries cholesterol away from your arteries (to your liver).

LDL and HDL carry the same cholesterol.

A thorough discussion on cholesterol requires an in-depth look at a lipoprotein called apolipoprotein B, often called apoB. Sadly, there are still many general practitioners throughout the world who don't know about apoB, and simply use outdated information on LDL and HDL to put patients on statins.

At this point in my life, I'm largely over discussing the biochemistry of cholesterol metabolism and conventional guidelines on cholesterol management that are heavily shaped by those who make eye-watering profits from the sale of cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Here's what it boils down to from my perspective: rather than consider the body a man-made machine that can be regulated by drugs that course through the circulation and have multiple effects on all cells, a more rational path involves putting effort into daily adoption of a few simple health-promoting habits like the ones I shared here:

https://drbenkim.com/6-daily-habits-optimal-health.htm

• Wow
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
On FB Skeptics in Australia there was one guy who was 100% certain about AGW; 100% certain about every vaccine past ,present and future; 100% certain that LDL is the only cause of CVD. In his words,
"There is no other plausible explanation."