Do you think this Coles shopper's attempt to get free chicken is 'scabby'? Find out what people are saying!

Ah, we here at SDC love picking up a bargain at the local supermarket, don't we?

However, bargain hunting can sometimes lead to heated debates as some people feel differently about taking advantage of these sorts of mistakes, particularly if it requires more than just a general price-check...

A Coles customer recently came under fire after posting a story on a bargain-hunter Facebook group about how she scored a pack of chicken for free.

Sharing a photo of the range of Coles chicken portions which had a marked down price from $12 to $9.50 to the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group, the shopper revealed that when she paid for the item at the checkout, she was charged the full price instead of the marked down amount.

08edfd05ca371a074d42df722585ad331b05e650-161x229-x23y0w675h960.jpg

This picture, which the shopper posted, shows how the chicken's price dropped from $12 to $9.50. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook

However, despite the fact that Coles scanning policy states that any customer who is overcharged must receive the item in question for free, there was apparently a bit of drama involved, as the woman revealed that she had to 'argue' with the cashier to get her money back.

She wrote on her post: 'Chicken for free - had to fight for it though as it was marked $12 kg.'

'Lady reckons if I’m aware the price is wrong I don’t get a refund.'

Many people felt that it was unfair to demand the item for free, with one accusing the shopper of being 'scabby'.

One person wrote: 'I’ve never asked for it for free ... I would feel too embarrassed.'

'They don’t have to give it to you for free, they probably do because at the end of the day they are on minimum wage and don’t want to put up with you.'

'I feel sorry for anyone that comes across your scabby ways.'

'I simply just remind them it’s not $12 a kg, it was $9.50, and they get someone to check. I would never demand something for free.'

'Keep them honest and ask for that $3 back like most people would. Two wrongs don’t make a right.'

Coles-logo.png

Coles posted information on its Price Scanning Promise on its website. Credit: Coles.

Others agreed, saying that it was wrong for the shopper to demand the items rather than politely requesting them.

One shopper said: 'Yes, it’s one thing for the store to offer it free when there has been a mistake with pricing but to demand it I feel is cheeky.'

'It does bother me how often prices are incorrect though, one day I was charged incorrectly in four stores I went into, it always pays to check the receipt.'

Another added: 'I thought it was cheeky and scabby initially. But then I reflected upon it - think of how many people before you have seen the price advertised, put it in the trolley and then paid the incorrect price without realising it?'

'I’d be too embarrassed to ask too, so I never have. However, I hear it’s their policy that the item is free if it’s been paid for at the wrong price. So if somebody has the balls to point that out, then why not?' a third chimed in.

Many other commenters were firmly on her side, arguing that she had done nothing wrong, and that Coles were legally obligated to give her the item at no extra cost.

One person explained: 'They do have to give it to you for free because that is their policy. It is not “scabby” to insist they follow their own rules.'

'It’s their scanning policy. If it scans at a higher price, you receive the first item free and subsequent items at the lower price,' another comment read.

A third argued: 'Yes, they do have to give it to the customer for free. Service assistants don’t give out things for free just because they are on minimum wage. What a ridiculous statement!'

Several retail workers jumped in on the discussion, saying that it was inappropriate for the customer to approach the cashier about the matter.

One worker said: 'Bloody hell, it’s like most of you have never heard of human error.'

'Go work in a supermarket yourself and see the workload and s*** you have to deal with - from workplace politics to shitty customers, like half of y’all. You aren’t that important - people brainstorm ways to fleece you at the register.'

Another agreed, writing: 'Everyone gets so nasty towards one another. Everyone has their views and that’s totally fine. I work in a supermarket and some days our special ticket prices drop out - it’s not our fault and yes, it does happen a fair bit.'

'But a lot of people also take that opportunity to abuse the absolute s*** out of us for it.'

Despite the differing opinions, one thing is clear - it’s always important to remember to go in with a polite and respectful attitude to folks working in retail.

Coles Scanning Policy

If you’ve ever been to a Coles supermarket, you’ll be familiar with their Promise on Price Scanning policy. It ensures pricing accuracy at in-store registers to avoid any unfortunate scanning mistakes.

There may have been a scanning error if an item has been scanned or the proper Price Lookup Up (PLU) number is entered yet the price displayed at the register or on the receipt is higher than the advertised or ticketed price.

So, if you ever find yourself in this situation, here’s what you need to know to make the most out of Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning:

• Multiple identical items scanning incorrectly - Coles will offer you the first item free and the remaining items at the advertised or ticketed shelf price if numerous identical items scan at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price.
  • Single item scanning incorrectly - Coles will give you a free item if a single item scans for a higher cost than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item.
  • Other promotions scanning incorrectly - When a multi-buy promotion scans improperly, the first item will be free and the second will be at the proper promotional price (for instance, if the deal offers two items for $3). The deal will be honoured but no further free items will be provided whether it is a buy one, get one free or spend $30 and get 15% off offer.

Unfortunately, there are some items that are excluded from Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy:

• Items without a barcode or PLU number
• 3rd party gift card products and Telco recharge vouchers
• Tobacco or liquor products
• Items over $50

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer recently sparked heated debate after revealing how she scored a pack of chicken for free due to an incorrect price scan.
  • The customer claimed that she had to argue with the Coles cashier to receive the item free of charge, which caused strong reactions from bargain hunters on a popular Facebook group.
  • Views were divided, with some accusing the shopper of being ‘scabby’ and others fiercely supporting her, claiming that she did nothing wrong in demanding the item for free.
  • According to Coles’ scanning policy, customers are entitled to any item that scans incorrectly at a higher price for free.

So if you come across a similar mishap next time you’re at a grocery store, it’s worth pointing it out and asking for the item at the lower price - who knows, you may just get some rewards from it.

Members, do you think it’s fair for customers to demand items for free when they are incorrectly priced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
If you are over charged then you need to receive the difference back and I would definitely let them know if I have been over charged .

I never used to check my receipts until my daughter told me to check what I was charged on a certain item and saw I was charged twice. Amazing how many times I have seen mistakes and now wonder how many times before were there mistakes

If the store has a policy of If you are over charged then you get it for free then you shouldn't have to ask for it the item should automatically be given for Free. If the supermarket doesn't want to honour it then remove it all together

As for the worker complaining of whingeing customers , then find another job out of customer service as no matter where you work you will cop this and hey you are getting paid .
I know a few people who work at coles and they are actually on good money.

Ah, we here at SDC love picking up a bargain at the local supermarket, don't we?

However, bargain hunting can sometimes lead to heated debates as some people feel differently about taking advantage of these sorts of mistakes, particularly if it requires more than just a general price-check...

A Coles customer recently came under fire after posting a story on a bargain-hunter Facebook group about how she scored a pack of chicken for free.

Sharing a photo of the range of Coles chicken portions which had a marked down price from $12 to $9.50 to the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group, the shopper revealed that when she paid for the item at the checkout, she was charged the full price instead of the marked down amount.

This picture, which the shopper posted, shows how the chicken's price dropped from $12 to $9.50. Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia/Facebook

However, despite the fact that Coles scanning policy states that any customer who is overcharged must receive the item in question for free, there was apparently a bit of drama involved, as the woman revealed that she had to 'argue' with the cashier to get her money back.

She wrote on her post: 'Chicken for free - had to fight for it though as it was marked $12 kg.'

Many people felt that it was unfair to demand the item for free, with one accusing the shopper of being 'scabby'.

One person wrote: 'I’ve never asked for it for free ... I would feel too embarrassed.'

'They don’t have to give it to you for free, they probably do because at the end of the day they are on minimum wage and don’t want to put up with you.'

'I simply just remind them it’s not $12 a kg, it was $9.50, and they get someone to check. I would never demand something for free.'

'Keep them honest and ask for that $3 back like most people would. Two wrongs don’t make a right.'

Coles-logo.png

Coles posted information on its Price Scanning Promise on its website. Credit: Coles.

Others agreed, saying that it was wrong for the shopper to demand the items rather than politely requesting them.

One shopper said: 'Yes, it’s one thing for the store to offer it free when there has been a mistake with pricing but to demand it I feel is cheeky.'

'It does bother me how often prices are incorrect though, one day I was charged incorrectly in four stores I went into, it always pays to check the receipt.'

Another added: 'I thought it was cheeky and scabby initially. But then I reflected upon it - think of how many people before you have seen the price advertised, put it in the trolley and then paid the incorrect price without realising it?'

'I’d be too embarrassed to ask too, so I never have. However, I hear it’s their policy that the item is free if it’s been paid for at the wrong price. So if somebody has the balls to point that out, then why not?' a third chimed in.

Many other commenters were firmly on her side, arguing that she had done nothing wrong, and that Coles were legally obligated to give her the item at no extra cost.

One person explained: 'They do have to give it to you for free because that is their policy. It is not “scabby” to insist they follow their own rules.'

'It’s their scanning policy. If it scans at a higher price, you receive the first item free and subsequent items at the lower price,' another comment read.

A third argued: 'Yes, they do have to give it to the customer for free. Service assistants don’t give out things for free just because they are on minimum wage. What a ridiculous statement!'

Several retail workers jumped in on the discussion, saying that it was inappropriate for the customer to approach the cashier about the matter.

One worker said: 'Bloody hell, it’s like most of you have never heard of human error.'

'Go work in a supermarket yourself and see the workload and s*** you have to deal with - from workplace politics to shitty customers, like half of y’all. You aren’t that important - people brainstorm ways to fleece you at the register.'

Another agreed, writing: 'Everyone gets so nasty towards one another. Everyone has their views and that’s totally fine. I work in a supermarket and some days our special ticket prices drop out - it’s not our fault and yes, it does happen a fair bit.'

'But a lot of people also take that opportunity to abuse the absolute s*** out of us for it.'

Despite the differing opinions, one thing is clear - it’s always important to remember to go in with a polite and respectful attitude to folks working in retail.

Coles Scanning Policy

If you’ve ever been to a Coles supermarket, you’ll be familiar with their Promise on Price Scanning policy. It ensures pricing accuracy at in-store registers to avoid any unfortunate scanning mistakes.

There may have been a scanning error if an item has been scanned or the proper Price Lookup Up (PLU) number is entered yet the price displayed at the register or on the receipt is higher than the advertised or ticketed price.

So, if you ever find yourself in this situation, here’s what you need to know to make the most out of Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning:

• Multiple identical items scanning incorrectly - Coles will offer you the first item free and the remaining items at the advertised or ticketed shelf price if numerous identical items scan at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price.
  • Single item scanning incorrectly - Coles will give you a free item if a single item scans for a higher cost than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item.
  • Other promotions scanning incorrectly - When a multi-buy promotion scans improperly, the first item will be free and the second will be at the proper promotional price (for instance, if the deal offers two items for $3). The deal will be honoured but no further free items will be provided whether it is a buy one, get one free or spend $30 and get 15% off offer.

Unfortunately, there are some items that are excluded from Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy:

• Items over $50

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer recently sparked heated debate after revealing how she scored a pack of chicken for free due to an incorrect price scan.
  • The customer claimed that she had to argue with the Coles cashier to receive the item free of charge, which caused strong reactions from bargain hunters on a popular Facebook group.
  • Views were divided, with some accusing the shopper of being ‘scabby’ and others fiercely supporting her, claiming that she did nothing wrong in demanding the item for free.
  • According to Coles’ scanning policy, customers are entitled to any item that scans incorrectly at a higher price for free.

So if you come across a similar mishap next time you’re at a grocery store, it’s worth pointing it out and asking for the item at the lower price - who knows, you may just get some rewards from it.

Members, do you think it’s fair for customers to demand items for free when they are incorrectly priced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
My husband always did our shopping at our closest Coles and one day when he got home 10 klms away our home he thought the bill was off so he checked his purchase against the docket. Chicken pieces from deli dept $83.00 a kilo and at the time it was 1995!!! He took unopened item back with docket and only then did they realise that every customer that day was charged $83 a kilo. No one but him had queried the pricing. The incorrect pricing item code was loaded incorrectly into their weighing scales.
After that he always took his register docket and glanced through it first before leaving the store.

What an absolutely stupid comment about whingeing customers. I work in Retail & don't get paid enough for these self entitled people to have a go at me. I am the same as them and deserve to be treated as such. Imagine how it would be if there were not people in the supermarkets to fill and serve.
It doesn't cost anything to be polite and courteous.

Scanning Code of Practice (Code).

Where the store states that it adheres to the Code, employees should when informed about a scanning error offer a full refund because that offer is COMPLIANCE with the terms of the Code.

I shop at Coles and Woolworths regularly.

I have never witnessed a customer start a query about a scanning error in a loud voice.

Why would a customer begin a conversation like that in a yelling voice?

What I have heard is customers raising their voices AFTER they'd informed employees of a scanning mistake (in a regular tone of voice) when the employee had then told the customer they'd get a refund of the difference (NON COMPLIANCE with the Code).

If yelling is happening, it means that staff are likely feeling abused. Why is this happening and what could be done to address it?

It may be necessary for management to:

1. Ensure repeat staff training reiterating that the store complies with the Code (taking the time to explain the refund parameters to employees exactly); and

2. Placing OBVIOUS signage in the stores where it can be seen and read by customers and employees alike to avoid misunderstandings.

I always keep my dockets and match them up with the product once I get home. Occasionally errors happen but the staff at the Service Counter (when I next go in), are more than happy to either refund or sort out the difference - no worries.
A little courtesy to these supermarket cashiers goes a long way - not need to belittle them by screaming, ranting and raving for the whole supermarket to hear. Unfortunately, there will always be people who go out of their way to behaving abnoxiously wherever they are......

If Coles and Woolies put on more staff for changing prices for the registers then this wouldn't happen as much. I know of a person that was employed full time and she had a few people who worked under her to make sure all the prices were correct. This was many years ago but they have since taken that position away so it's just when people get time now to check the prices. And when the staff are doing a lot more it's impossible to do everything

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

Coles-logo.png

Coles Scanning Policy

• Items over $50

Key Takeaways

If an item I regularly buy is marked down or on special, I will usually buy it. Knowing that when I get to the check out I will pay the marked down price. If it scans at the old higher price I will call the assistant over and get them to check it for me. I expect to pay the lower price. I would not insist on getting the item free. If the assistant offered it free, I would accept it. I have found that being polite and friendly has got me a better deal in all cases.

Nothing "scabby" about it. Hold the store to its Scanning Code of Practice EVERY time; maybe they will get their corporate fingers out and rectify their systems.
Alternatively, if the Store employee gives you serious backchat, simply walk away; let them sort out the transaction-voiding and re-shelving while you take your business to the competitor. Let's see how they go THEN, with their moves toward self-checkout!

Reactions: Thecheesequeen

Coles-logo.png

Coles Scanning Policy

• Items over $50

Key Takeaways

Retail law states that if you're incorrectly charged then it is yours for free. Coles has more money than me, I'll stick to the law.

What an absolutely stupid comment about whingeing customers. I work in Retail & don't get paid enough for these self entitled people to have a go at me. I am the same as them and deserve to be treated as such. Imagine how it would be if there were not people in the supermarkets to fill and serve.
It doesn't cost anything to be polite and courteous.
I, as an older Australian, make a point every time I shop to thank the ones doing the replenishing of shelves as I know how much abuse they can get. I always am grateful that they are there doing what they are doing. I also know how annoying it is when something hasn't been refilled & you need to buy that item. Having worked in retail in the days when we had to iron all clothes before filling shelves or hangers & when pay was so much less than today, I feel empathy for the workers.

My husband always did our shopping at our closest Coles and one day when he got home 10 klms away our home he thought the bill was off so he checked his purchase against the docket. Chicken pieces from deli dept $83.00 a kilo and at the time it was 1995!!! He took unopened item back with docket and only then did they realise that every customer that day was charged $83 a kilo. No one but him had queried the pricing. The incorrect pricing item code was loaded incorrectly into their weighing scales.
After that he always took his register docket and glanced through it first before leaving the store.
😲

I worked in a supermarket about 30 years ago and that was the policy back then - first wrongly price item for free and the others at the special price. We, as checkout chicks never argued, policy is policy. The customer was not being scammy, just getting what she was entitled to.

Reactions: spórol
It's Coles policy to give you your money back if you have been charged incorrectly. Also if you have bought something and it is off Coles gives you your money back and give you a replacement for free.