SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Do you still remember the first thing you bought with your own money?

After a lovely and long overdue chat with an old friend from my first job, I (Sethia) was left wondering about what you, dear members, first bought with your own money! I first worked as an English teacher for Japanese students, and as soon as I got my first salary, I spent it on a nice dinner at home with my grandparents.

1437173075-delish-takeout-healthier.jpg
Source: Delish

Unfortunately, my grandfather was already battling stage four cancer at the time, and this was one of the last few memorable moments I spent with him. They are huge fans of Chinese food, so I ordered a variety of dumplings, fried rice, and sweet and sour pork. It's very humbling to think about, especially now that I can afford to order takeaway whenever I feel like it. But back then, we could only afford to do these things on special occasions. And considering how much they have both sacrificed to make me who I am today, it was the least I could do to show them how much they both meant to me.

How about you? What was the very first thing you bought with your own money? Share your story with us in the comments below!

I purchased a guitar, unfortunately never made the time to keep up with lesson and practice. Still have the guitar so it's never too old to start or renew a new activity.

Do you still remember the first thing you bought with your own money?

After a lovely and long overdue chat with an old friend from my first job, I (Sethia) was left wondering about what you, dear members, first bought with your own money! I first worked as an English teacher for Japanese students, and as soon as I got my first salary, I spent it on a nice dinner at home with my grandparents.

View attachment 23010
Source: Delish

Unfortunately, my grandfather was already battling stage four cancer at the time, and this was one of the last few memorable moments I spent with him. They are huge fans of Chinese food, so I ordered a variety of dumplings, fried rice, and sweet and sour pork. It's very humbling to think about, especially now that I can afford to order takeaway whenever I feel like it. But back then, we could only afford to do these things on special occasions. And considering how much they have both sacrificed to make me who I am today, it was the least I could do to show them how much they both meant to me.

How about you? What was the very first thing you bought with your own money? Share your story with us in the comments below!
The first thing I bought with my pay was an EJ Holden it cost $ 350.00. I had to save up for it and I didn't have a license but My boyfriend could drive and then I got picked up from work and I didn't have to walk home over a mile in the heat or cold

I purchased a guitar, unfortunately never made the time to keep up with lesson and practice. Still have the guitar so it's never too old to start or renew a new activity.
I also purchased a guitar on "hire purchase", very early in my working life. It was such a buzz and I only had to pay $?? per week! I felt like I was never "owning" this guitar and I worked out my payments - it cost me 4 TIMES what it would've if I had've paid cash. I never "booked" anything else up again except a car and a house.

My first pay from a clothing factory, back in 1970, was $9. It was for 4 days. I gave my mum $5 board which my father told me was the going rate or “find somewhere else to live”. He then promptly cut her grocery allowance by $5, it was a tough life back then, I was the 2nd eldest of 9 kids by then, another 1 arrived later on. I then spent $2 on a nice pair of sandals as I only owned thongs and my old school shoes. I had to pay $1 to a friends father who drove 4 of us to and from work as we lived 20 miles out of town. That gave me $1 left, which I kept until I got my 2nd pay, which was the grand sum of $14. In saying that you could do a lot with the $8 a week I had left after I paid board and travel each week.

I also purchased a guitar on "hire purchase", very early in my working life. It was such a buzz and I only had to pay $?? per week! I felt like I was never "owning" this guitar and I worked out my payments - it cost me 4 TIMES what it would've if I had've paid cash. I never "booked" anything else up again except a car and a
I also purchased a guitar on "hire purchase", very early in my working life. It was such a buzz and I only had to pay $?? per week! I felt like I was never "owning" this guitar and I worked out my payments - it cost me 4 TIMES what it would've if I had've paid cash. I never "booked" anything else up again except a car and a house.
I was quite proud of myself at the time I was 16yrs at thought it was the greatest guitar ever! I only ended up learning 5 cords had lots of fun with my mates trying to play. 😅😅😅 great memories.

My very first purchase was a sombrero hat that I had been coveting in a main street store window . It cost 1 pound - I earnt 4 pounds something. It was fabulous to have this amazing shade covering, I was so proud of my practical purchase, (I lived in the tropics) but at the slightest puff of wind it went flying or a cord around my neck, choked me. It was very rarely worn but I kept it for years because it had cost me so much.

• Love
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
My first job was a Saturday morning in the CBD at a small store called "Products of Rhodesia".
I was 15yo in my 11th year at school and think I was paid about R5.00 (approximately AU$5.00) for the morning.
I had already started collecting items for my trousseau and saw a beautiful set of 12 handmade and painted coffee mugs in the store and had to have it.
It took me a few weeks to pay it off and I still have it in mint condition today - exactly 50 years later.

• Love
back in 1955 i worked in an stock and station office in nz and i purchased a radio with my 9 pound wage. still have it here in aus.

• Love
Reactions: mOiOz
I worked in a chemist shop and like all the others paid our board so not much left,this was 1954 so money was not much but I bought my first pair o high heeled shoes black suede and I just thought I was the bees knees.

• Wow
My first job was as a Lolly Boy at the St Peter’s picture theatre in about 1958 and my first self funded purchase was a push bike from a local second hand shop.

• Love
My first job was a Saturday morning in the CBD at a small store called "Products of Rhodesia".
I was 15yo in my 11th year at school and think I was paid about R5.00 (approximately AU$5.00) for the morning.
I had already started collecting items for my trousseau and saw a beautiful set of 12 handmade and painted coffee mugs in the store and had to have it.
It took me a few weeks to pay it off and I still have it in mint condition today - exactly 50 years later.
Awww! I'd love to see pictures of this! :D

Definitely NEVER too old! :) Let me know if you ever decide to try learning again. I play the acoustic guitar and I'd love to have someone to chat about it with.

My first job paid $18 per week 1 third went to my mother for board, 1 third went on bus fares and I got to keep 1 third I kept for myself. The first thing that I bought was an Onyx and marquise ring which I still have. That was 53 years ago