Do you remember the smell of the 80s? Aussies reveal their nostalgic scents

Do you ever find yourself fondly reminiscing about the good old days? The decade of the 80s was a truly special time, filled with great music, fashion trends and cultural moments.

These days, it doesn't take much to take us back to that decade - just take a look at an old photo album and you'll find yourself immediately transported back.

But aside from the visual reminders of days gone by, something else can bring back thoughts and memories of yesteryears - and that's our sense of smell.

Fragrances such as perfumes and colognes have the power to instantly bring us back to certain moments in our past, and that's why a recent post in the Old Shops Australia Facebook group has resonated so strongly with many members of this nostalgic bunch.

s-l1600.png

Many users agreed that the Australis Forever scent can bring back some memories from the 80s. Credit: Facebook.

So, if you're looking to relive some '80s nostalgia, here are some scents you might want to consider, old and new fragrances alike!

Australis Forever was one of the top nostalgic scents to emerge from the discussion. One woman claimed that she wore the perfume, along with the makeup, back in the glory days of the 80s.

‘Thought I’d join the bandwagon and put up my favourite scent of the 80s,’ she said.

Several users agreed with her, with one person writing: ‘Oh yes and the (Australis) electric blue mascara and frosted pink lipstick!’

‘I used to wear it on our summer beach holidays in the mid-80s,’ another user added.

Another scent that came up during the Facebook group discussion was the Vanilla perfume from The Body Shop.

Because it was so well-liked at the time, some claim to still possess vintage bottles of the perfume because they stocked up on supply.

2f0e977154d47309554f6d413579e7de.jpg
Impulse Body Spray was said to be popular among 'cool kids' back in the day. Credit: Facebook.

Another perfume that was widely available in the 80s was, of course, Impulse Body Spray!

‘All the cool kids carried the Impulse Body Spray in their school bags to 'hide' the smell of ciggies!' one user claimed.

Tabu was also mentioned, albeit some users said that they now find the scent 'awful'.

One user wrote: ' I absolutely honestly have to say in 1983 I was 13 and I literally wore this and thought I was a total bombshell but now I can stand its smell.'

More users have continued to join the conversation.

One person wrote: ‘My Mum LOVED the No. 4711 cologne in the 70s and 80s. It was my "go-to" every year for a mother's day present. Last mother's day, I looked into it and realised they still make it!'

'So I got mum some for good ol’ mother's day.'

325587588_414686264156623_3557353979574905878_n.jpg
The Tabac fragrance is hailed as one of the best scents for men. Credit: Facebook.

Interestingly, one user also shared his favourite scent from a little further back, the 70s, saying that his go-to fragrance of the decade was Tabac.

He wrote: 'Another 70s men's fragrance was Tabac. It was popular back in the day and while it's not up there with Old Spice, Aramis or Brut, it could still compete with other brands.'

Key Takeaways

• Fragrances such as perfumes and colognes have the power to instantly transport us back to certain moments in our past.
  • Popular 80s fragrances mentioned in a recent Facebook discussion include Australis Forever, The Body Shop's Vanilla Perfume, and Impulse Body Spray.
  • No. 4711 cologne and Tabac cologne were popular 70s scents.

There you have it, folks! It's amazing how a few moments of nostalgia can really make the heart swell with warm, fuzzy memories.

How about you, members? Was there also a scent that you used back in the glory days of the 80s? Write a comment and let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Do you ever find yourself fondly reminiscing about the good old days? The decade of the 80s was a truly special time, filled with great music, fashion trends and cultural moments.

These days, it doesn't take much to take us back to that decade - just take a look at an old photo album and you'll find yourself immediately transported back.

But aside from the visual reminders of days gone by, something else can bring back thoughts and memories of yesteryears - and that's our sense of smell.

Fragrances such as perfumes and colognes have the power to instantly bring us back to certain moments in our past, and that's why a recent post in the Old Shops Australia Facebook group has resonated so strongly with many members of this nostalgic bunch.

s-l1600.png

Many users agreed that the Australis Forever scent can bring back some memories from the 80s. Credit: Facebook.

So, if you're looking to relive some '80s nostalgia, here are some scents you might want to consider, old and new fragrances alike!

Australis Forever was one of the top nostalgic scents to emerge from the discussion. One woman claimed that she wore the perfume, along with the makeup, back in the glory days of the 80s.

‘Thought I’d join the bandwagon and put up my favourite scent of the 80s,’ she said.

Several users agreed with her, with one person writing: ‘Oh yes and the (Australis) electric blue mascara and frosted pink lipstick!’

‘I used to wear it on our summer beach holidays in the mid-80s,’ another user added.

Another scent that came up during the Facebook group discussion was the Vanilla perfume from The Body Shop.

Because it was so well-liked at the time, some claim to still possess vintage bottles of the perfume because they stocked up on supply.

View attachment 12438
Impulse Body Spray was said to be popular among 'cool kids' back in the day. Credit: Facebook.

Another perfume that was widely available in the 80s was, of course, Impulse Body Spray!

‘All the cool kids carried the Impulse Body Spray in their school bags to 'hide' the smell of ciggies!' one user claimed.

Tabu was also mentioned, albeit some users said that they now find the scent 'awful'.

One user wrote: ' I absolutely honestly have to say in 1983 I was 13 and I literally wore this and thought I was a total bombshell but now I can stand its smell.'

One person wrote: ‘My Mum LOVED the No. 4711 cologne in the 70s and 80s. It was my "go-to" every year for a mother's day present. Last mother's day, I looked into it and realised they still make it!'

View attachment 12437
The Tabac fragrance is hailed as one of the best scents for men. Credit: Facebook.

Interestingly, one user also shared his favourite scent from a little further back, the 70s, saying that his go-to fragrance of the decade was Tabac.

He wrote: 'Another 70s men's fragrance was Tabac. It was popular back in the day and while it's not up there with Old Spice, Aramis or Brut, it could still compete with other brands.'

Key Takeaways

• Fragrances such as perfumes and colognes have the power to instantly transport us back to certain moments in our past.
  • Popular 80s fragrances mentioned in a recent Facebook discussion include Australis Forever, The Body Shop's Vanilla Perfume, and Impulse Body Spray.

There you have it, folks! It's amazing how a few moments of nostalgia can really make the heart swell with warm, fuzzy memories.

How about you, members? Was there also a scent that you used back in the glory days of the 80s? Write a comment and let us know!
I loved Charlie but I couldn’t tell you what era. Nowadays my fav is j’adore.

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

I still, even now, would go weak at the knees for Brut! Loved it back then & loved it still. My son wears prada aftershave. I think that is what it is called!

• Love
Reactions: debjane and Ricci
Not sure if it was the 80s or the 90s tbh but I loved the smell of Red Door - until i was told “ that’s an old lady perfume!” Lol

Reactions: Ricci

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

I used to like Tabu in the 70th and a few years ago bought a bottle for old time sack when I granddaughter told me she could smell me a mile away when I picked up her from school so Tabu ended up in the bin.

• Love
Reactions: debjane and Ricci

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

Definitely 4711 my Beloved Mum always wore it and the smell brings up fond memories of Mum. I wear this perfume in her honour on special days.

Definitely 4711 my Beloved Mum always wore it and the smell brings up fond memories of Mum. I wear this perfume in her honour on special days.
My mum always wore 4711 as well. To be honest, I can't stand the smell of it but that's no reflection on my mother.

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

Definately I used Opium in the 80’s. It has stood the test of time. My husband still wears Opium for men!

Reactions: Ricci and Vicki.E.
Guerlain Shalimar. It heralded my arrival five minutes before my arrival… and it still does. It’s my signature perfume.

s-l1600.png

View attachment 12438

View attachment 12437

Key Takeaways

Guerlain Shalimar. It heralded my arrival five minutes before my arrival… and it still does. It’s my signature perfume.
If your perfume heralds your arrival, then you've used too much. Other people should not be able to smell it unless they are extremely close to you. It is inconsiderate to marinate yourself in perfume as it can cause reactions in about 1 in 4 people (including the wearer) because of the chemicals they contain; e.g. asthma attacks, headache, migraine, dizziness, breathing problems, nausea and even seizures. Studies have shown that the inhalation of fragrances affects brain function since the chemical compounds in perfumes are able to cross the blood-brain barrier and interact with receptors in the central nervous system. Another reason for not overdoing perfume is because, as it breaks down, chemicals are released that might smell nice to you but actually smell like cat pee to others. Many workplaces actually ban perfumes for health reasons. In one surgery I worked at, the doctor was allergic and we were not allowed to wear them.

Reactions: debjane
I o longer wear much perfume except a touch of 4711 - in the 80s though it was Rive Gauche and White Linen for me!