Do you know what this is? Outlet on skirting board sparks debate on Reddit

We've all been there. You move into a new home and start to settle in, only to discover something that leaves you utterly confused. Whether it's the unusual layout, a door leading to nowhere, an outdated appliance, or a mysterious knob on the wall, these things can definitely throw a wrench into your home-sweet-home plans.

Such has been the case for one Sydneysider who has recently moved into their new home and took to social media to ask about the 'mysterious' feature.

The Sydney resident posted a close-up picture of the skirting board connected to a socket in their home on Reddit and claimed to have no idea what the 'thing' does.

'Does anyone know what this is?' they asked.

The user also pointed out that the object seems to have gone unused for a time.

Pm0UYhBrKFKPgboyQshDwCJZucEjV38zYTgS0VHX0nCXOO4DvtIMktej9ZGrnq3nUnfPFxmCfZ0ZFlLrTK1T7GXd9TgUPpC_804Aok3-mpIRlwJLliLUTEDjKTXb69Nkmn0yztjBKxleGjySZPEoIE9LkrB_sFvpWyqJ7NBIqtccEFBBjafIkdbI

This ‘bizarre’ object left a Sydneysider baffled after they moved into their new home. Credit: Reddit.

Reddit users were quick to reply to the Sydneysider's inquiry, informing them that the 'bizarre thing' that they were referring to was just an old landline connection!

'Old landline phone connection,' one user replied.

Another added: 'Thanks for making me feel old lol. Ours still works, but it's just an ADSL connection now. Haven't had a home phone in years.'

For those of you who remember these connections, these were quite fancy back in the day. Nowadays, most people wouldn't even know what this is thanks to the invention of cellphones and other gadgets.

Many people made jokes about how old the post made them feel.

One person said: 'You can't be serious.... so it has finally come to pass that not even phone lines are recognised.'

'I'm only 25 & I remember these what the f***,' another joked.

A third joked: 'Happy 8th birthday!'

'Am I that old that a phone jack for a landline phone is like an ancient relic to some people but to me something instantly recognisable?' another asked.

FL2i0O4Qa_QxFl6GfcyQWoJ6NvshRRFKdtnxKXyLfbMH5Vj3NGtS_BjTvfei5sH7s-UfYSICmZL8OMxB3Uhj4PN7EuVMNoXAvWQ3iFhvsPZOvZk_5yHHDf4bqxNGOJEXTM31weaXSd2jxjuShGLgZqMfWyEZd3PMI1dZ_cm8qVI-mYWLRFhWTEF9

Several users said that they felt old given that the original poster was naive over the use of the landline connection. Credit: Getty Images/iStock Photos.

Others pointed out that some youngsters may have not been acquainted with these things as they grew up in the 'internet' age.

One user wrote: 'Most would have no idea why when we end a phone call we say we "hang up" the phone, either.'

A Telstra employee pointed out that the line may also be a modern connection installed by the company.

'I wouldn't say it's an old landline telephone connection, it is a current landline connection,' they explained.

It's crazy to think that there is a whole generation of people out there who don't even remember the pre-internet era. For us old-timers, this phone outlet is simply a blast from the past!

What are your thoughts on this? Did the photo of the landline connection bring a sense of nostalgia? Would your grandkids know what it is?

Sponsored
We've all been there. You move into a new home and start to settle in, only to discover something that leaves you utterly confused. Whether it's the unusual layout, a door leading to nowhere, an outdated appliance, or a mysterious knob on the wall, these things can definitely throw a wrench into your home-sweet-home plans.

Such has been the case for one Sydneysider who has recently moved into their new home and took to social media to ask about the 'mysterious' feature.

The Sydney resident posted a close-up picture of the skirting board connected to a socket in their home on Reddit and claimed to have no idea what the 'thing' does.

'Does anyone know what this is?' they asked.

The user also pointed out that the object seems to have gone unused for a time.

Pm0UYhBrKFKPgboyQshDwCJZucEjV38zYTgS0VHX0nCXOO4DvtIMktej9ZGrnq3nUnfPFxmCfZ0ZFlLrTK1T7GXd9TgUPpC_804Aok3-mpIRlwJLliLUTEDjKTXb69Nkmn0yztjBKxleGjySZPEoIE9LkrB_sFvpWyqJ7NBIqtccEFBBjafIkdbI

This ‘bizarre’ object left a Sydneysider baffled after they moved into their new home. Credit: Reddit.

Reddit users were quick to reply to the Sydneysider's inquiry, informing them that the 'bizarre thing' that they were referring to was just an old landline connection!

'Old landline phone connection,' one user replied.

Another added: 'Thanks for making me feel old lol. Ours still works, but it's just an ADSL connection now. Haven't had a home phone in years.'

For those of you who remember these connections, these were quite fancy back in the day. Nowadays, most people wouldn't even know what this is thanks to the invention of cellphones and other gadgets.

Many people made jokes about how old the post made them feel.

One person said: 'You can't be serious.... so it has finally come to pass that not even phone lines are recognised.'

'I'm only 25 & I remember these what the f***,' another joked.

A third joked: 'Happy 8th birthday!'

'Am I that old that a phone jack for a landline phone is like an ancient relic to some people but to me something instantly recognisable?' another asked.

FL2i0O4Qa_QxFl6GfcyQWoJ6NvshRRFKdtnxKXyLfbMH5Vj3NGtS_BjTvfei5sH7s-UfYSICmZL8OMxB3Uhj4PN7EuVMNoXAvWQ3iFhvsPZOvZk_5yHHDf4bqxNGOJEXTM31weaXSd2jxjuShGLgZqMfWyEZd3PMI1dZ_cm8qVI-mYWLRFhWTEF9

Several users said that they felt old given that the original poster was naive over the use of the landline connection. Credit: Getty Images/iStock Photos.

Others pointed out that some youngsters may have not been acquainted with these things as they grew up in the 'internet' age.

One user wrote: 'Most would have no idea why when we end a phone call we say we "hang up" the phone, either.'

A Telstra employee pointed out that the line may also be a modern connection installed by the company.

'I wouldn't say it's an old landline telephone connection, it is a current landline connection,' they explained.

It's crazy to think that there is a whole generation of people out there who don't even remember the pre-internet era. For us old-timers, this phone outlet is simply a blast from the past!

What are your thoughts on this? Did the photo of the landline connection bring a sense of nostalgia? Would your grandkids know what it is?
My Dad use to install them. 49 years with PMG long before Telstra.

OMG, I feel old! Although I don't have a landline any more I'm sure there's one of these little connectors lurking somewhere around here!:)

We didn't get the phone connected until I'd left home to start Nursing. I couldn't ring home, so Mum got the phone connected.
Made a huge difference to leaving home.
It took 4 months though, there was a long waiting list.

Reactions: Ricci