Do you know about the 'shady' fee for using cash at Australia Post?

Amid a world where digital transactions are slowly becoming the norm, the charm and reliability of cash remain significant for many, especially for the older generation.

However, a recent incident at Australia Post has sparked outrage among Australians, particularly those wary of the nation's shift towards a cashless society.

A Brisbane woman, Gerrie Hoogland, took to social media to express her disbelief and anger after a friend was charged an additional fee for using cash to pay at an Australia Post outlet.

The friend, who had attempted to pay an $82 bill with cash, was informed that a $2.20 fee would be applied for the transaction.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 125310.png
A man was charged an extra fee for paying his bill with cash in an Australia Post outlet. Source: Shutterstock

Gerrie wrote in her post: ‘He refused to pay it after telling them cash is legal tender, and then he left without paying the bill at all.’

This incident has ignited a firestorm of criticism online, with many users condemning Australia Post for what they perceive as a 'shady' and 'disgraceful' practice.

The backlash was swift and severe, with accusations of a 'scam' being thrown around, reflecting the broader concerns of Aussies about the decline in the use of cash and the implications of a potentially cashless society.

It is understood that the fee in question was not imposed by Australia Post but by the biller.

The additional charge is part of a bill-payment fee for services paid in person using Post Billpay, a facility offered by Australia Post for paying various bills.

The decision to pass this fee onto the customer is made by the organisation issuing the bill, not by Australia Post.

‘Some billers charge a bill-payment fee for bills paid in person,’ AusPost stated.

They also advised customers to contact the bill issuer directly to understand the specifics of these charges.

Major phone companies such as Optus, Vodafone, and Telstra have been known to apply a 'non-electronic-payment fee' for bills paid at Australia Post shops, with Telstra charging a $2.50 fee regardless of the payment method.

Telstra explained: ‘Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment, and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer.’

The incident has highlighted a broader trend in society, with the country potentially moving towards being 'technically cashless' within the next three years.

Cards and digital payments now account for three-quarters of small purchases, a significant increase from just over half of all in-person transactions under $10 in 2019.

The pandemic has accelerated this shift, with many opting for contactless payments as a health precaution.

While the convenience of digital payments is undeniable, the move towards a cashless society raises concerns about excluding those who rely on cash, including many seniors who may not be as comfortable with technology or prefer the control and privacy cash provides.

Financial experts also warned that this transition could make thousands worse off, highlighting the need for a balanced approach that accommodates all members of society.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman expressed outrage after her friend was purportedly charged an extra fee for using cash at Australia Post.
  • Social media users criticised the fee, with some branding it as a 'scam' and others concerned about the move towards a cashless society.
  • It was clarified that the additional charge for paying bills in person is set by the individual biller and not by Australia Post.
  • Telstra, among other companies, charges a 'non-electronic-payment fee' for bills paid in person, which is applied whether payment is made by cash or card.

What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar fees when paying in cash? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I thought if you pay any bills at Australia Post using any method of payment, you are charged a $2.20 fee.

I didn't think it was Australia Post charging it. I thought it was the bill supplier. It's a way of trying to get you to pay on line
That's called 'extortion'!

Amid a world where digital transactions are slowly becoming the norm, the charm and reliability of cash remain significant for many, especially for the older generation.

However, a recent incident at Australia Post has sparked outrage among Australians, particularly those wary of the nation's shift towards a cashless society.

A Brisbane woman, Gerrie Hoogland, took to social media to express her disbelief and anger after a friend was charged an additional fee for using cash to pay at an Australia Post outlet.

The friend, who had attempted to pay an $82 bill with cash, was informed that a $2.20 fee would be applied for the transaction.

View attachment 39773
A man was charged an extra fee for paying his bill with cash in an Australia Post outlet. Source: Shutterstock

Gerrie wrote in her post: ‘He refused to pay it after telling them cash is legal tender, and then he left without paying the bill at all.’

This incident has ignited a firestorm of criticism online, with many users condemning Australia Post for what they perceive as a 'shady' and 'disgraceful' practice.

The backlash was swift and severe, with accusations of a 'scam' being thrown around, reflecting the broader concerns of Aussies about the decline in the use of cash and the implications of a potentially cashless society.

It is understood that the fee in question was not imposed by Australia Post but by the biller.

The additional charge is part of a bill-payment fee for services paid in person using Post Billpay, a facility offered by Australia Post for paying various bills.

The decision to pass this fee onto the customer is made by the organisation issuing the bill, not by Australia Post.

‘Some billers charge a bill-payment fee for bills paid in person,’ AusPost stated.

They also advised customers to contact the bill issuer directly to understand the specifics of these charges.

Major phone companies such as Optus, Vodafone, and Telstra have been known to apply a 'non-electronic-payment fee' for bills paid at Australia Post shops, with Telstra charging a $2.50 fee regardless of the payment method.

Telstra explained: ‘Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment, and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer.’

The incident has highlighted a broader trend in society, with the country potentially moving towards being 'technically cashless' within the next three years.

Cards and digital payments now account for three-quarters of small purchases, a significant increase from just over half of all in-person transactions under $10 in 2019.

The pandemic has accelerated this shift, with many opting for contactless payments as a health precaution.

While the convenience of digital payments is undeniable, the move towards a cashless society raises concerns about excluding those who rely on cash, including many seniors who may not be as comfortable with technology or prefer the control and privacy cash provides.

Financial experts also warned that this transition could make thousands worse off, highlighting the need for a balanced approach that accommodates all members of society.

Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed outrage after her friend was purportedly charged an extra fee for using cash at Australia Post.
  • Social media users criticised the fee, with some branding it as a 'scam' and others concerned about the move towards a cashless society.
  • It was clarified that the additional charge for paying bills in person is set by the individual biller and not by Australia Post.
  • Telstra, among other companies, charges a 'non-electronic-payment fee' for bills paid in person, which is applied whether payment is made by cash or card.

What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar fees when paying in cash? Share your experiences in the comments below.
This is so wrong cash is legal tender and always will be. Creating a cashless society is another way to control the people and I am highly opposed to it.

I questioned the chemist and the newsagent yesterday why they're charging a surcharge and they told me that the banks are charging them $400 a month to process these transaction even if you use a debit card which I always do. I started noticing this extra charge on my dockets and asked why this was happening using a debit card as I thought that if you use a credit card they'd charge you $2:50 plus. The lady said that the banks are going to start charging up to $800 a month for this service very soon so they have to pass the extra charge onto the customer. In these trying times every little bit helps the customer so the greedy banks need to STOP this NOW. She also said that in a year or two they're going to phase out cash altogether.
Where does it end when you're trying to make ends meet??????????
Tipsy is so right we should be charging them.

Reactions: Littleboy8
That's called 'extortion'!
The "bill provider" is the one that charges Australia Post. However, some "bill providers" charge however you wish to pay, DEFT being one of them . As for on-line payments, no-one pays me for the use of my electricity and my computer when they send me a bill though the email or for compensation that I could I risk my security by paying on-line. How many on-line scams do we read about these days?

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
I questioned the chemist and the newsagent yesterday why they're charging a surcharge and they told me that the banks are charging them $400 a month to process these transaction even if you use a debit card which I always do. I started noticing this extra charge on my dockets and asked why this was happening using a debit card as I thought that if you use a credit card they'd charge you $2:50 plus. The lady said that the banks are going to start charging up to $800 a month for this service very soon so they have to pass the extra charge onto the customer. In these trying times every little bit helps the customer so the greedy banks need to STOP this NOW. She also said that in a year or two they're going to phase out cash altogether.
Where does it end when you're trying to make ends meet??????????
Tipsy is so right we should be charging them.
Insist on paying cash with no surcharge.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 39773

Key Takeaways

It's all part of a Government plan to monitor electronically ALL financial transactions. :It has begun already with high-value customers with proofing ID's on bank a/c's in the name of money laundering monitoring. Cash is hard to monitor (e.g. under mattress txns), and they started this yeras ago with a $10K + on overseas movements. Because of inflation that has meant more & more fall into that net. WIth Centrelink, they can monitor giftings, for example. There is a monitoring of all gold tranactions too, so watch your back!

It’s greed at it’s best. I’m old school I like using cash. I take out a certain amount from the bank each week and I can keep tabs on what I’m spending. Certain bills are automatically paid through my bank. Food shopping and anything else I pay cash. What if my trolley is full and the eftpos machine doesn’t work, what happens then? Cash is current tender. Works every time but to charge a fee for using it is disgraceful. This modern world that’s supposed to be improved is crap. I won’t be happy with the government knowing everything I do with my hard earned savings. None of their business 😡
Soon everything will be part of their business.....
coming soon to a neighbourhood like yours...

I noticed this in the late 1980's! The extra charge would be on your next bill if you paid at the post office and at that time it was nearly every service supplier that offered a payment option at AP.

Reactions: Knell