Distressing reports of Remembrance Day disrespect - what has become of our nation?

Yesterday, we all took a moment on the 11th hour of the 11th day (of November) to remember and solemnly commemorate the sacrifices of those who served. This year marked 104 years since the Armistice was signed, signalling the end of World War I.

In an upsetting turn of events, as early as that afternoon, reports flooded in of blatant disregard and disrespect for the occasion.

It started with some working Australians confirming they were forced to attend meetings during the minute’s silence and were not allowed to pay their respects or acknowledge the important time.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.11.09 pm.png
A field of poppies. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Sadly, this isn’t the end of the disrespect. Last year, a cenotaph was vandalised in the lead-up to November 11th, BBC presenters spoke over the Last Post, and overseas, climate protestors used the solemn day for publicity.

Silence for one or two minutes is included in ANZAC and Remembrance Day ceremonies as a sign of respect and a time for reflection. Taking away this time, interrupting or downright ignoring the important practice is un-Australian and, quite frankly, disgusting.

Many of us have loved ones who served and may have also made the ultimate sacrifice and never returned home to us.

One particular story we heard this morning really upset us.

‘I work for a government/defence agency and had a meeting from 11am to 11:30am. There was no mention or acknowledgement of the time they’d booked over, nor an apology. Surprising given the workplace. I felt like I couldn’t speak up.’

Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think respect for Remembrance Day is dwindling or is it just general disrespect increasing in all aspects of life?

To end on a happier note, take a look at the gorgeous knitted poppies that member @JayKay makes each year.

Screenshot_20221111-065334_2.png
Image Credit: @JayKay

We’d love to hear how you honour Remembrance Day.

Sponsored
Today's world and the younger generation unfortunately have no respect for anything that does not affect them. I was bought up to respect anyone that was older than me they were called Mr, Mrs or Miss, say thank you for someone doing something nice like holding a door open for you. It is a shame that the me generation don't really know what it is all about, they think that they are the most progressive but they are a long way from that they are just rude and obnoxious and will not listen to anyone.

I was raised to respect elders but to be honest elders need to earn that respect.

I was raised to give a minute of my time each year on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month and remember those who served to protect us and these I do give respect.

I feel as we are an aging Australia with a large number of our citizens being immigrants we are losing the respect that our soldiers deserve.

I remember in primary school we would stand in assembly facing the flag and stand for a minute in silence 🔕. We were also taught why we were standing in silence.

What is giving one minute of our time compared to the time these men and women gave to keep our beautiful country and its people safe.

Yes I stood with my head bowed yesterday and listened to the last Post before being silent and reflecting on what was given up by our courageous soldiers , all for us

I will remember them

Last edited:
That’s a sweeping generalisation. Look at the numbers of young people who attend the remembrance and Anzac services. Yes, there are young people who are all of what you say, but there are many who are very much the opposite. It’s easy to focus on the negative, because that’s what attracts our attention and shocks us, whilst the positive goes unnoticed and unrewarded.

The Remembrance Day story Re the Defence Dept is truly horrifying and deserves more follow up !
I believe the section and location should be named so that it is never allowed Tom occur again!
What you walk by you approve and imam certain that the readers and the overwhelming body of Australians would not approve this!

I was raised to respect elders but to be honest elders need to earn that respect.

I was raised to give a minute of my time each year on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month and remember those who served to protect us and these I do give respect.

I feel as we are an aging Australia with a large number of our citizens being immigrants we are losing the respect that our soldiers deserve.

I remember in primary school we would stand in assembly facing the flag and stand for a minute in silence 🔕. We were also taught why we were standing in silence.

What is giving one minute of our time compared to the time these men and women gave to keep our beautiful country and its people safe.

Yes I stood with my head bowed yesterday and listened to the last Post before being silent and reflecting on what was given up by our courageous soldiers , all for us

I will remember them
Entitled, but I will always remember them

Hubby and I were shopping at Costco Adelaide yesterday. At 11am an announcement was made with a staff member reciting the Last Post and then asking everyone to pay their respect during a minute’s silence. I was so very moved to see nearly all shoppers stop their trolleys and stand quietly for that special minute. Well done Costco! Lest we Forget.

Hubby and I were shopping at Costco Adelaide yesterday. At 11am an announcement was made with a staff member reciting the Last Post and then asking everyone to pay their respect during a minute’s silence. I was so very moved to see nearly all shoppers stop their trolleys and stand quietly for that special minute. Well done Costco! Lest we Forget.
That is wonderful and I do remember the last time I was shopping the shop I was in did the same and I do hope that will never stop. I remember at school paying our respect every year, and being taught about the sacrifice these incredibly brave people did so we could have the freedoms we enjoy today. Lest We Forget

Yesterday, we all took a moment on the 11th hour of the 11th day (of November) to remember and solemnly commemorate the sacrifices of those who served. This year marked 104 years since the Armistice was signed, signalling the end of World War I.

In an upsetting turn of events, as early as that afternoon, reports flooded in of blatant disregard and disrespect for the occasion.

It started with some working Australians confirming they were forced to attend meetings during the minute’s silence and were not allowed to pay their respects or acknowledge the important time.

View attachment 8757

Sadly, this isn’t the end of the disrespect. Last year, a cenotaph was vandalised in the lead-up to November 11th, BBC presenters spoke over the Last Post, and overseas, climate protestors used the solemn day for publicity.

Silence for one or two minutes is included in ANZAC and Remembrance Day ceremonies as a sign of respect and a time for reflection. Taking away this time, interrupting or downright ignoring the important practice is un-Australian and, quite frankly, disgusting.

Many of us have loved ones who served and may have also made the ultimate sacrifice and never returned home to us.

‘I work for a government/defence agency and had a meeting from 11am to 11:30am. There was no mention or acknowledgement of the time they’d booked over, nor an apology. Surprising given the workplace. I felt like I couldn’t speak up.’

Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think respect for Remembrance Day is dwindling or is it just general disrespect increasing in all aspects of life?

To end on a happier note, take a look at the gorgeous knitted poppies that member @JayKay makes each year.

I strongly believe it is just general disrespect increasing in all aspects of life within Australia, I have two current serving sons in the ADF for some 25 years of service.

View attachment 8757

Was in Penrith Plaza shop yesterday, one woman was pushing a pram around, no respect and the 2 counter staff were standing there talking, no respect. This day is extra special to me as it’s the day my mother passed away. Was disgusted with their behaviour.

the sad thing is this is going to happen more and more and not just in Australia - Around the world more and more people don't want to remember what happened in any of the wars, main reason Why. Most people today only care about what they see or feel as important to them and most of them don't care about other peoples feelings. I will always respect Remembrance Day here in Australia for what all our ancestors did for us (no matter what country). Remembrance Day to me is to honour ALL fallen solders around the world. Remember they ALL died for a reason that they believed in.

My Father and his three brothers enlisted in WW1, imagine a Mother potentially giving up four sons, the sacrifice that meant to fight for our freedom, three came back including my father who fought at the Somme a terrible battle and he was gassed. One brother died in Alexandria.

To not honour those brave men is a disgrace, I went to a suburban service and there were no young people in attendance. Not only that, I live in a very wealthy suburb of Sydney, although I am a pensioner, and nowhere were poppies being sold, I happened to have one from a previous year. The children from local schools used to sell poppies in the main shopping centre but were nowhere to be found.

Those brave men who go to war caused by some trumped up dictator as the current war in Ukraine by Putin and when those soldiers come back, they have to wait in Australia to received compensation if injured or suffering from PTSD. Currently there are over 42000 Australians waiting for compensation and many can't wait, the double trauma is too much, and sadly they take their own lives.
'

It's a sad indictment of the state if we can't afford one or two minutes of our time each year to remember the fallen. Those that paid a sacrifice for our safety and freedom.
As there are obviously no living survivors of WW1 the meaning of sacrifice has changed over the years, it's not just for the fallen or maimed but for all members of the defence forces who continually make sacrifices, it might be a birthday missed, a family reunion, birth or family death, all are sacrifices that we should be grateful for.

We had just disembarked our flight in Hobart from Canberra to retrieve our bags and ready to observe a minute silence to pay our respects.
But there was no announcement or observance of Remembrance Day, it was very disappointing and I felt disrespectful after only just having visited the war memorial. Even though I don’t agree with the violent nature of war, we still need to honour and respect those who sacrificed so much and gave up their lives for us.

View attachment 8757

We sit quietly and reflect on those 60000 people making the ultimate sacrifice. Nov 11th also has a special significance for our family as it is the day my mother died following a failed hip replacement operation aged just 62 and 38 years ago

The main problem I believe is "People don't care anymore". Time is precious to them these days, or so they say, but ONE Minute of Silence will not hurt anyone. I am a previous Sub Branch President and I have found country people and their schools seem to pay more respect on Remembrance Day and ANZAC Day than people in big cities. One problem is the immigration of various people and their customs playing a part in the lack of understanding of the Remembrance Day meaning and tradition. "Lest We Forget".