Distressing reports of Remembrance Day disrespect - what has become of our nation?

Yesterday, we all took a moment on the 11th hour of the 11th day (of November) to remember and solemnly commemorate the sacrifices of those who served. This year marked 104 years since the Armistice was signed, signalling the end of World War I.

In an upsetting turn of events, as early as that afternoon, reports flooded in of blatant disregard and disrespect for the occasion.

It started with some working Australians confirming they were forced to attend meetings during the minute’s silence and were not allowed to pay their respects or acknowledge the important time.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.11.09 pm.png
A field of poppies. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Sadly, this isn’t the end of the disrespect. Last year, a cenotaph was vandalised in the lead-up to November 11th, BBC presenters spoke over the Last Post, and overseas, climate protestors used the solemn day for publicity.

Silence for one or two minutes is included in ANZAC and Remembrance Day ceremonies as a sign of respect and a time for reflection. Taking away this time, interrupting or downright ignoring the important practice is un-Australian and, quite frankly, disgusting.

Many of us have loved ones who served and may have also made the ultimate sacrifice and never returned home to us.

One particular story we heard this morning really upset us.

‘I work for a government/defence agency and had a meeting from 11am to 11:30am. There was no mention or acknowledgement of the time they’d booked over, nor an apology. Surprising given the workplace. I felt like I couldn’t speak up.’

Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think respect for Remembrance Day is dwindling or is it just general disrespect increasing in all aspects of life?

To end on a happier note, take a look at the gorgeous knitted poppies that member @JayKay makes each year.

Screenshot_20221111-065334_2.png
Image Credit: @JayKay

We’d love to hear how you honour Remembrance Day.

Sponsored
I have been a teacher in schools over 46 years and every year there is a gathering- used to be whole school but can no longer fit them all in. This year was for year all 7/8 classes. We had military - a Captain, 2 student cadets, Local MP, School Captains who ran the assembly, speakers, school Band and a teacher who played the Last Post. Each laid a wreath at the memorial in a small garden in the grounds. It was very formal. And students were absolutely silent throughout the one minute silence. You would not have heard a "penny drop". Year 10 cohort made paper poppies to be displayed in a garden, and on large posters in student services where parents, visitors go and also on the senior floor which reaches the year 10-12 cohort. It is still quite alive to respect.

I had a 2x great aunt who lost all 4 sons to the war, not one returned. Heart wrenching though she was left with 3 daughters, and then her fifth boy, both she and the child died at the birth.

I have uncovered many ancestors who participated in the war that my present family knew about.

Reactions: RobD
In 2002 a Canadian folk singer, Terry Kelly, released "A Pittance of Time", a song for Remembrance Day. You can find it on You Tube.

They fought and some died
for their homeland
They fought and some died
now it's our land
Look at his little child
there's no fear in her eyes
Could he not show respect
for other dads that have died
Take two minutes
would you mind
It's a pittance of time
For the boys and the girls
who went over
In peace may they rest
may we never forget
why they died
It's a pittance of time
God forgive me for wanting to strike him
Give me strength so as to not be like him
My heart pound in my breast
Fingers pressed to my lips
My throat wants to bawl out
My tongue barely resists
But two minutes
I will bide
It's a pittance of time
For the boys and the girls
who went over
In peace may they rest
may we never forget
why they died
it's a pittance of time.
Read the letters and poems
of the heroes at home
they have casualties
battles and fears of their own
there's a price to be paid
if you go, if you stay
Freedoms fought for and won
in numerous ways
take two minutes
would you mind
it's a pittance of time
for the boys and the girls
all over
may we never forget
Our young become vets
at the end of the line
it's a pittance of time
It takes courage to fight in your own war
it takes courage to fight someone else's war
Our peacekeepers tell
of their own living hell
they bring hope to foreign lands
that hate mongers cant kill
take two minutes
would you mind
it's a pittance of time
for the boys and the girls
who go over
in peace time our best
still don battle dress
and lay their lives
on the line
It's a pittance of time
in peace may they rest
lest we forget
why they died
take a pittance of time

I was driving to see my grand kids but took the time to pull over get out of the car and listen to the last post and re vally and pay my respects in silence .As far as I know I only lost 1 relative during ww2 but many others died so that we can enjoy the life and life style we have today

I attended a Remembrance Day ceremony at a memorial, near to a public pool.
Being an ex-serviceman, I wore my medals. I also wore my great grandfathers WWI medals, My grandfathers WWII medals and my fathers Vietnam medals, in remembrance of their service.
There was a large group of primary school aged children at the pool, screaming and shouting as children do when they are having fun. At 1100, the time the last Post was played, the kids fell silent.
As the memorial is in a public park on a river, there were also a large group of adults drinking and carousing. They continued their partying throughout our commemoration.
We had in attendance, dignitaries, politicians, military officers from both Australia and foreign, current and ex serving personnel, and an armed guard of WWI re enactors. The guard fired a volley, which caused an uproar amongst the disrespectful riverbank party goers.
At the beginning of the ceremony, when the various dignitaries made their initial speeches, Acknowledgement of Country was made, over a loud speaker.

The Remembrance Day story Re the Defence Dept is truly horrifying and deserves more follow up !
I believe the section and location should be named so that it is never allowed Tom occur again!
What you walk by you approve and imam certain that the readers and the overwhelming body of Australians would not approve this!
Agreed

Yesterday, we all took a moment on the 11th hour of the 11th day (of November) to remember and solemnly commemorate the sacrifices of those who served. This year marked 104 years since the Armistice was signed, signalling the end of World War I.

In an upsetting turn of events, as early as that afternoon, reports flooded in of blatant disregard and disrespect for the occasion.

It started with some working Australians confirming they were forced to attend meetings during the minute’s silence and were not allowed to pay their respects or acknowledge the important time.

View attachment 8757

Sadly, this isn’t the end of the disrespect. Last year, a cenotaph was vandalised in the lead-up to November 11th, BBC presenters spoke over the Last Post, and overseas, climate protestors used the solemn day for publicity.

Silence for one or two minutes is included in ANZAC and Remembrance Day ceremonies as a sign of respect and a time for reflection. Taking away this time, interrupting or downright ignoring the important practice is un-Australian and, quite frankly, disgusting.

Many of us have loved ones who served and may have also made the ultimate sacrifice and never returned home to us.

‘I work for a government/defence agency and had a meeting from 11am to 11:30am. There was no mention or acknowledgement of the time they’d booked over, nor an apology. Surprising given the workplace. I felt like I couldn’t speak up.’

Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think respect for Remembrance Day is dwindling or is it just general disrespect increasing in all aspects of life?

To end on a happier note, take a look at the gorgeous knitted poppies that member @JayKay makes each year.

I live in a "Gated Community" what is know as a 'Lifestyle Village. We alway have a short service on both ANZAC and Rembrance days. We have several companies such as Coles & Woolworths making deliveries and it was heartwarming to see that a delivery driver stopped as he heard the Last Post playing. He then got out of his truck and stood to attention for the reast of the service. I thought that was what I would call 'Dedication'.

I do not believe the children today do not respect Remembrance Day or Anzac Day, there seems more and more young people are attending these ceremonies and acknowledging the sacrifices the fallen have made for their country and way of life resulting from their actions.

View attachment 8757

Honoured with a minute silence at Circular Quay as on holidays, were the minority sadly

As an ex-Pom, I am disgusted by the way most people today don't care about our History. History is there for us to learn by, so we can stop the mistakes that were made in the past. Some people today live only for their own good with no thoughts for the past. This is what has made us who we are today. Most young people think only about how something affects them, that is because they have been spoilt from birth. They have been bought up to expect prizes for just being here, they have no concept of working for what you want so they also have no concept of responsibility. Luckily some are bought up with morals & respect for others but we keep bringing in folks from foreign parts who have not been bought up with respect for anything especially the law, or women it will continue to deteriorate.

As an ex-Pom, I am disgusted by the way most people today don't care about our History. History is there for us to learn by, so we can stop the mistakes that were made in the past. Some people today live only for their own good with no thoughts for the past. This is what has made us who we are today. Most young people think only about how something affects them, that is because they have been spoilt from birth. They have been bought up to expect prizes for just being here, they have no concept of working for what you want so they also have no concept of responsibility. Luckily some are bought up with morals & respect for others but we keep bringing in folks from foreign parts who have not been bought up with respect for anything especially the law, or women it will continue to deteriorate.
Sadly there are many born here that are brought up showing nothing but disrespect and disdain for tradition and custom; even sadder still, they bring up their own with the same values.

the sad thing is this is going to happen more and more and not just in Australia - Around the world more and more people don't want to remember what happened in any of the wars, main reason Why. Most people today only care about what they see or feel as important to them and most of them don't care about other peoples feelings. I will always respect Remembrance Day here in Australia for what all our ancestors did for us (no matter what country). Remembrance Day to me is to honour ALL fallen solders around the world. Remember they ALL died for a reason that they believed in.
And that 'stop living in the past' attitude is precisely why wars continue to happen, isn't it? As Winston Churchill said in a 1948 speech to the House of Commons in Britain: "Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" (paraphasing George Santayana) and here we go again with Putin & Xi in particular ......

View attachment 8757

I work as a Volunteer @ Bolton Clarke Caloundra Qld & we honoured the day with the Elderly men & women who were in war & fought for our country. LEST WE FORGET 💮

Today's world and the younger generation unfortunately have no respect for anything that does not affect them. I was bought up to respect anyone that was older than me they were called Mr, Mrs or Miss, say thank you for someone doing something nice like holding a door open for you. It is a shame that the me generation don't really know what it is all about, they think that they are the most progressive but they are a long way from that they are just rude and obnoxious and will not listen to anyone.
I agree whole heartedly but wonder if todays Parents, Elders and Families have somehow allowed this to happen.

Today's world and the younger generation unfortunately have no respect for anything that does not affect them. I was bought up to respect anyone that was older than me they were called Mr, Mrs or Miss, say thank you for someone doing something nice like holding a door open for you. It is a shame that the me generation don't really know what it is all about, they think that they are the most progressive but they are a long way from that they are just rude and obnoxious and will not listen to anyone.
Not true at all. Only SOME, by far the minority of young people are disrespectful. Sadly they get the most publicity, but most youngsters are lovely people with plenty of respect just as we were brought up with. No doubt the "seniors" when our generation were young said the same thing. (Ever heard of Mods & Rockers?")

View attachment 8757

Unfortunately, disrespect is a fast-growing behaviour these days. Respect does not seem to be taught, either by word or example, in homes as much as when I was growing up. When I was a Scout Leader in the 90’s, we used to gather down the road from our local RSL, and march to it for Remembrance. May we never forget those who paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we enjoy. I notice also that as well as the traditional red poppy, a purple poppy is also a mark of respect for animals that died as a result of injuries suffered during wars. LEST WE FORGET!

The main problem I believe is "People don't care anymore". Time is precious to them these days, or so they say, but ONE Minute of Silence will not hurt anyone. I am a previous Sub Branch President and I have found country people and their schools seem to pay more respect on Remembrance Day and ANZAC Day than people in big cities. One problem is the immigration of various people and their customs playing a part in the lack of understanding of the Remembrance Day meaning and tradition. "Lest We Forget".
This is very true. A lot of people who have migrated here do not understand nor care about the meaning behind Remembrance Day or our customs, yet they will still have and will celebrate their own festivals and expect Australians to understand their customs.

Such a true statement, I agree with every point you have made?There are a large number of the younger generation that do uphold and respect the values of yester year, but I am sorry to say that there are an even larger number who do not. If anything doesn't directly have an affect on them
they are just not interested. It's cool for them to thumb their nose at
Things like Anzac Day and Remembrance Day because "it's nothing to do with me" attitude so why should I bother, nothing is going to get through to them. They are too self centred and full of their "rights" but not their "responsibilities" to ever consider the fact that if all the servicemen and women had not gone to war and in too many cases given their lives for
what they believed in, these ungrateful, selfish and disrespectful
Younger ones wouldn't be able to live the life they do, free of any
conscience, respect or thankfulness to those that have gone before them

That’s a sweeping generalisation. Look at the numbers of young people who attend the remembrance and Anzac services. Yes, there are young people who are all of what you say, but there are many who are very much the opposite. It’s easy to focus on the negative, because that’s what attracts our attention and shocks us, whilst the positive goes unnoticed and unrewarded.

Let's not forget some oldies who have no respect. Remember the phot of Scumo, you remember that clown. A photo was taken of him at a very Public Function where there was a prominent person speaking. The resultant photo showed Scumo texting on his phone!!!
So oldies can be ignorant also