Distressed newlyweds cry for help as “neighbour from hell” builds giant fence that could trap them from their home — “It’s like living in a nightmare”

A distressed British couple has sought help from authorities after a man — dubbed as the "neighbour from hell" — built a giant fence down the middle of the driveway that the two parties share.

Newlyweds Chris and Millie Adams claimed that the 3ft high, 6ft wide structure disables them from getting in and out of their cars while they're parked on the gravel — worse, they have to move both vehicles just to take the bins out as there is not enough space for them to move out.

Additionally, Chris and Millie said that even their tiny French Bulldog struggles to squeeze past the fence.

9ogJmvRWRMJuBO_jTpXustQs1Dt4kBjlApNzULFUMBV6kkwYu1F9MYr4tz6NV5-R34sruHBCDt4VSiJ_2Nnpel2CAUAXFVcSEtvjbIhgZD8ZwLTctaFcZ0NngMvN6_BnW6k2PWI

Chris and Millie Adams are seeking help from authorities after their “neighbour from hell” built a giant fence that can potentially trap them inside their home. Credit: Facebook.

The couple, who have just moved into the $275,000 property 12 months ago, said that their dream home has become a nightmare after their neighbour, Matthew Carter, have done petty, "passive-aggressive" actions towards them.

"This was meant to be our dream home – but it’s like living in a nightmare," Chris, a business analyst, said.

"The fence is blocking us from getting our bins out and we can't open the passenger door fully."

"We loved it when we moved in. We thought we’d be here for years and raise our family."

"Those plans have been absolutely ruined. If you can’t be happy at home, where can you be?"

Admin worker Millie added: "We worked so hard to purchase this property but now we detest it and can't bear to spend any time in the hell house."

"I'd rather go back to living on a council estate. That's where we were before and our neighbours were lovely."

"It's a really s*** situation."

lsXuB0BwBkn3qI8F_mg6AaXyFaMv2tA1dCgw7U6PrSeeyq8FXm4sRmJpeGSHSuCJVmVBlSqS4u0IXcAs2bpz0emQFjYSlcHio-aeeMskvqoReciE5u6o_Sqbq0JRjsOWZawyp0g
Guhs7MaqEA3FlPPvdVSNVNMu1vHpvRC83GHTXfMKQz3rh0ksHwSWeuloXWnBl92IKoxhxI0x3e7oTTAE7lS-c7ZtC94gX6oofS0ThnogPlH7oxjfZGq8DiPHUZtpA_qYfVEE9Ns

The newlyweds said that there is little space that even their pet French Bulldog can’t pass the driveway without squeezing itself. Credit: Facebook.

One neighbour said that an alleged dispute between the two warring parties over the parking area may have caused the construction of the fence.

Additionally, it was reported that Matthew Carter has spoken to the couple about his plans to build a fence on December 6.

However, Matthew rejected the requests of the couple to have a "mediation meeting" and started constructing the fence the following week, with the structure being extended every weekend since.

The couple said that they are bothered with the thought of the fence extending along the entire length of their shared driveway.

Chris said: "Millie can’t get into the passenger side unless I drive the car forward."

"But if I leave more space on that side, then I have to get out on our other neighbour’s front garden."

"They might say the fence has been built along the boundary but that doesn’t mean that they should do it. We have a right of access."

"It’s a very disrespectful and passive-aggressive thing to do."

"Since we moved in they keep coming over about petty little things," Millie said.

"Both sides have got the police involved, but we wanted to go to mediation to sort things out once and for all."

The distressed couple also admitted that they're now struggling with their mental health, fearing that the fence will eventually trap them inside their home.

Chris said: "It has made us feel scared, anxious, depressed."

"We hate coming home and would rather stay out for as long as possible."

"It has also made us massively fearful for our animals."

Additionally, Millie suffers from a condition that causes her body to feel chronic pain from stress, which means that she's prone to emergency situations.

Chris said: "You won't even be able to fit a stretcher through, which my wife has needed on a couple of occasions."

Chris and Millie said that they shelled out $1400 on solicitor fees as police and council workers have done no action to resolve the dispute between the two parties.

97ruVGjlBY_XNDW2bO1h7-BkpMEWzQGVGw1hzWRPR5Gi0VSSyb_zS3-7cq1Ul1u0VkpdCWgqhL_7A0LSK1k0usa2S9UsOx8iKL38BxyRGsBdCBZIozfHIK30GpguQQh0fCsQftY

Chris and Millie need to move their vehicles just to get their bin out. Credit: Facebook.

They said that the solicitors are investigating the legality of the fence, claiming that the structure is an escalation of Matthew's "harassing" and "intimidating" behaviour towards the couple since moving in December 2020.

Mr Carter declined to comment on the matter.

The property would be at a loss if they sell it as its price "will have gone down considerably", the couple alleged.

A spokesman for the Irthlingborough Town Council said that officials are currently investigating the issue but could not comment further.

Sponsored
So are the houses joined or just very close together?? All the money we pay for council rates... we should be able to take problems like these in and have them settled... a fence is fine if it doesn't start making regular life difficult and this certainly seems to be... 😪 thank God we have good neighbours... your neighbours really make all the difference!!

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Distressed newlyweds cry for help as “neighbour from hell” builds giant fence that could trap them from their home — “It’s like living in a nightmare”

A distressed British couple has sought help from authorities after a man — dubbed as the "neighbour from hell" — built a giant fence down the middle of the driveway that the two parties share.

Newlyweds Chris and Millie Adams claimed that the 3ft high, 6ft wide structure disables them from getting in and out of their cars while they're parked on the gravel — worse, they have to move both vehicles just to take the bins out as there is not enough space for them to move out.

Additionally, Chris and Millie said that even their tiny French Bulldog struggles to squeeze past the fence.

9ogJmvRWRMJuBO_jTpXustQs1Dt4kBjlApNzULFUMBV6kkwYu1F9MYr4tz6NV5-R34sruHBCDt4VSiJ_2Nnpel2CAUAXFVcSEtvjbIhgZD8ZwLTctaFcZ0NngMvN6_BnW6k2PWI

Chris and Millie Adams are seeking help from authorities after their “neighbour from hell” built a giant fence that can potentially trap them inside their home. Credit: Facebook.

The couple, who have just moved into the $275,000 property 12 months ago, said that their dream home has become a nightmare after their neighbour, Matthew Carter, have done petty, "passive-aggressive" actions towards them.

"This was meant to be our dream home – but it’s like living in a nightmare," Chris, a business analyst, said.

"The fence is blocking us from getting our bins out and we can't open the passenger door fully."

"We loved it when we moved in. We thought we’d be here for years and raise our family."

"Those plans have been absolutely ruined. If you can’t be happy at home, where can you be?"

Admin worker Millie added: "We worked so hard to purchase this property but now we detest it and can't bear to spend any time in the hell house."

"I'd rather go back to living on a council estate. That's where we were before and our neighbours were lovely."

lsXuB0BwBkn3qI8F_mg6AaXyFaMv2tA1dCgw7U6PrSeeyq8FXm4sRmJpeGSHSuCJVmVBlSqS4u0IXcAs2bpz0emQFjYSlcHio-aeeMskvqoReciE5u6o_Sqbq0JRjsOWZawyp0g
Guhs7MaqEA3FlPPvdVSNVNMu1vHpvRC83GHTXfMKQz3rh0ksHwSWeuloXWnBl92IKoxhxI0x3e7oTTAE7lS-c7ZtC94gX6oofS0ThnogPlH7oxjfZGq8DiPHUZtpA_qYfVEE9Ns

The newlyweds said that there is little space that even their pet French Bulldog can’t pass the driveway without squeezing itself. Credit: Facebook.

One neighbour said that an alleged dispute between the two warring parties over the parking area may have caused the construction of the fence.

Additionally, it was reported that Matthew Carter has spoken to the couple about his plans to build a fence on December 6.

However, Matthew rejected the requests of the couple to have a "mediation meeting" and started constructing the fence the following week, with the structure being extended every weekend since.

The couple said that they are bothered with the thought of the fence extending along the entire length of their shared driveway.

Chris said: "Millie can’t get into the passenger side unless I drive the car forward."

"But if I leave more space on that side, then I have to get out on our other neighbour’s front garden."

"They might say the fence has been built along the boundary but that doesn’t mean that they should do it. We have a right of access."

"Since we moved in they keep coming over about petty little things," Millie said.

"Both sides have got the police involved, but we wanted to go to mediation to sort things out once and for all."

The distressed couple also admitted that they're now struggling with their mental health, fearing that the fence will eventually trap them inside their home.

Additionally, Millie suffers from a condition that causes her body to feel chronic pain from stress, which means that she's prone to emergency situations.

Chris said: "You won't even be able to fit a stretcher through, which my wife has needed on a couple of occasions."

Chris and Millie said that they shelled out $1400 on solicitor fees as police and council workers have done no action to resolve the dispute between the two parties.

97ruVGjlBY_XNDW2bO1h7-BkpMEWzQGVGw1hzWRPR5Gi0VSSyb_zS3-7cq1Ul1u0VkpdCWgqhL_7A0LSK1k0usa2S9UsOx8iKL38BxyRGsBdCBZIozfHIK30GpguQQh0fCsQftY

Chris and Millie need to move their vehicles just to get their bin out. Credit: Facebook.

They said that the solicitors are investigating the legality of the fence, claiming that the structure is an escalation of Matthew's "harassing" and "intimidating" behaviour towards the couple since moving in December 2020.

The property would be at a loss if they sell it as its price "will have gone down considerably", the couple alleged.

A spokesman for the Irthlingborough Town Council said that officials are currently investigating the issue but could not comment further.
It would be interesting to hear the neighbour's side of the issue - "It takes two to tango".

Maybe the couple should have paid more attention to the driveway space before they purchased their house and maybe if the fence was there beforehand, it might have made them think twice about purchasing the house!
Looking at the photos, they should be thankful that they don't own a fourwheel drive!
The blocks must be very small because one of the comments that the husband made was: "But if I leave more space on that side, then I have to get out on our other neighbour’s front garden." Maybe the other neighbour might end up erecting a fence too!
I have a fence all the way down my driveway, with room on either side , I can get out of my car or walk beside the fence without any hassles.
Makes you wonder who the 'neighbour' from hell' really is........just saying lol!

Reactions: Elbe and Ozetwo
Maybe the couple should have paid more attention to the driveway space before they purchased their house and maybe if the fence was there beforehand, it might have made them think twice about purchasing the house!
Looking at the photos, they should be thankful that they don't own a fourwheel drive!
The blocks must be very small because one of the comments that the husband made was: "But if I leave more space on that side, then I have to get out on our other neighbour’s front garden." Maybe the other neighbour might end up erecting a fence too!
I have a fence all the way down my driveway, with room on either side , I can get out of my car or walk beside the fence without any hassles.
Makes you wonder who the 'neighbour' from hell' really is........just saying lol!
You have to remember that most of the older houses in the UK never had garages so therefore space is tight. What they are experiencing is nothing different from what so many others have to put up with. Why can't they just do as my relatives do - stop at the kerb, let the passenger out, drive in to one side giving ample room for the driver to get out. They should think themselves lucky they can open at least one door - my cousin has to drive in level with her door, climb across her little car, lean out of the passenger window, open the front door. She then opens the passenger door into the doorway to get out. Does she complain? No - just grateful she can park off the road. Note - she was doing this when 90 years old!!!

So are the houses joined or just very close together?? All the money we pay for council rates... we should be able to take problems like these in and have them settled... a fence is fine if it doesn't start making regular life difficult and this certainly seems to be... 😪 thank God we have good neighbours... your neighbours really make all the difference!!
IrthlingboroughCouncil is in the UK. This isn't happening in Australia so why we're even hearing about it makes me wonder.......

Another one sided story, but the previous two comments are spot on. The complainant mentions shared driveway when they bought the house, which appears to be a semi, but boundaries are boundaries, were they encroaching? The fence in 3' high but where can they say it's 6' wide??? Before I can put my car away in my garage, I have to let my wife out first, as you can only open the door on one side or the other not both.

You have to remember that most of the older houses in the UK never had garages so therefore space is tight. What they are experiencing is nothing different from what so many others have to put up with. Why can't they just do as my relatives do - stop at the kerb, let the passenger out, drive in to one side giving ample room for the driver to get out. They should think themselves lucky they can open at least one door - my cousin has to drive in level with her door, climb across her little car, lean out of the passenger window, open the front door. She then opens the passenger door into the doorway to get out. Does she complain? No - just grateful she can park off the road. Note - she was doing this when 90 years old!!!
Oh how hilarious!!!! My driveway is too skinny for both doors to open, or a bin to pass by, but I just work around it. However, your cousin’s positive attitude takes the cake. Good on her!!!!!

Reactions: debjane

Isn't there enough crap and hatred in the world without this. In today's world we all have enough hard times.OMG they live beside each other and should help make life a little easier for each other. We don't need people like this

Reactions: debjane
I don't call a 3 foot fence "giant" lol
May not seem high, but it’s causing a mountain of trouble for the young couple. Having had a complete a#####e of a neighbour at our last home, I can sympathise with them. Sorry to say that with some people you just can’t win, and after 14 years of his petty minded nonsense we sold up and moved on. But not before I went to his door and told him exactly what I thought of him in the choicest of words! (btw he wasn’t the reason we moved 👍)