Discovery of old receipt exposes the harsh grocery truth: ‘We’re being ripped off!'

As we all navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, the rising cost of living is becoming an increasingly heavy burden on our wallets.

A recent discovery by an Australian shopper has brought this issue into stark relief, highlighting just how much more we're paying for everyday items compared to just a few years ago.

A Melbourne Woolworths shopper's old receipt from 2021 has surfaced, revealing a grim reality: the prices of basic grocery items have soared, with some doubling in price.

The receipt in question lists items such as Bega cheese, Coca-Cola, Thins chips, Champagne leg ham, Ozkleen prewash stain remover, and Delta ground coffee, all of which have seen significant price hikes.

GW2TeaTbMAAjld-.jpeg
A shopper’s old receipt from 2021 has shown the grim reality of grocery prices. Credit: @MadsMelbourne / Twitter

For instance, a 250g packet of Bega cheese that was $4.50 in 2021 is now $6, discounted from $7.50. Similarly, a 200g bag of Delta ground coffee has jumped from $2.50 to $4.

‘We all knew we’re being ripped off! Australians are now paying up to 200 per cent more for basic grocery items than they were a few years ago!’ she wrote.

‘Oh, but inflations (sic) currently back at around 3.8 per cent…yeh (sic) my a** it is!’

The Australian Bureau of Statistics data indicates that the price of food has risen by 17 per cent for working households since March 2020, before the COVID-19 pandemic.

The grocery price surge has become a focal point amid the cost-of-living crisis, prompting the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission to investigate the sector.

The chair, Gina Cass-Gottlieb, acknowledged the concerns of Australians facing financial pressures and the disconnect between the prices farmers receive and what consumers pay at the checkout.

‘We know grocery prices have become a major concern for the millions of Australians experiencing cost of living pressures,’ she said.

‘When it comes to fresh produce, we understand that many farmers are concerned about weak correlation between the price they receive for their produce and the price consumers pay at the checkout.’

Major supermarkets, including Coles and Woolworths, have defended the price increases, attributing them to supply chain challenges.

Despite this, both companies reported profits of over $1 billion in the last financial year, raising questions about the balance between corporate earnings and fair pricing for consumers.

Outgoing Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci even addressed the issue, stating the company's willingness to forego profits to 'do the right thing' by customers, citing examples such as lowering meat prices during the holiday season.

‘We will, of course, make those decisions,’ he said.

‘We are very sensitive on things like the price of milk, what we would call lunch box items.’

However, the public's trust in these supermarket giants has waned, as evidenced by a Roy Morgan poll that saw Coles and Woolworths plummet in the rankings of Australia's most trusted brands.

Coles dropped from the fifth to the ninth most distrusted brand, while Woolworths dropped 32 places from the second to the 34th most trusted brand.

‘We have been tracking trust and distrust of brands in Australia for more than seven years, but we have never seen a reputational crash as dramatic as Coles and Woolworths—not even Qantas,’ Roy Morgan Chief Michele Levine said.

‘This is in direct contrast to the soaring reputational trust that they gained during the pandemic.’

In the search for more affordable options, consumer group CHOICE found that a basket of groceries from ALDI could be around 25 per cent cheaper than those from Coles or Woolworths, offering significant savings to shoppers.
Key Takeaways
  • A receipt from 2021 has highlighted the significant increase in grocery prices over a few years, with some items doubling in price.
  • The rise in prices for everyday items appears to outpace official inflation levels, with consumers expressing concern over the growing cost of living.
  • Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have seen a drop in consumer trust, while ALDI has been found to offer groceries at a significantly lower cost.
Have you noticed a significant increase in the price of your regular shopping items? How are you adjusting your shopping habits to cope with these changes? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I like my Macona Espresso and buy it in the 400gm jar. Now the price has gone from $22 to $32 over a couple of months. Water is going up as well, looks like I won't be flavoring it till we get a pension increase.

I like my Macona Espresso and buy it in the 400gm jar. Now the price has gone from $22 to $32 over a couple of months. Water is going up as well, looks like I won't be flavoring it till we get a pension increase.
Unfortunately the price of coffee beans is where the problem lies here. There is a shortage of beans because of failing crops so hence the increase in them. I’m not defending the supermarkets by any means. If they needed to increase by 5% they would probably increase by up to 10%. How else would they make their huge profits?

Hmm powers that be deliberately trying fo force us to buy shitty imported food & do away with the Aussie farmer from the competition altogether!
They should be supporting our own (the backbone of our once beautiful country since the beginningof time)!
Disgusting!

Reactions: Bellclare
Imo they are all guilty of gouging, but we are a capitalist society regulated primarily by supply and demand and little else. Ask these same people how many are willing to take a cut to their house value, or get rid of capital gains/negative gearing concessions, most will cry foul. Even the recent cap on Super tax concessions at $3m was unpopular. Why?

Reactions: Trina G
I used to buy cottess cordial sugar free for $2.85 a bottle 2 years ago now it is $7-8 a bottle. Kirk's cans of soft drink was $5 for 10 cans now $9.85 for the same cans now. That is a huge hike in just those 2 items and they are as you might say, junk items. God knows what they are doing with the staple foods you put on the table to eat. Bread is another one, climbed to $4.40 a loaf

Yes. I am shocked at the price every time I shop. It hasn’t improved. In fact I’ve seen prices go up since the investigation. What was the point of that ? They haven’t listened.
On a poor nurses wage and a mortgage. I’ve had to cut back on food. Buy cheaper foods. And sometimes go without.
If I don’t I’ll lose the roof over my head. And wages haven’t kept up with inflation.
If I lose my house I’ll go on dole and not work. As I see no point in working if I can’t afford a lifestyle.
I d be better getting concessions cards and dole money and rent assistance. Instead of this struggle.

But no one complains when their house price goes up. Blame the unions for their constant increases which has to be paid for. Maternity super, increase in super from the company etc etc. You know the electricity and insurance you can no longer afford - guess what. Neither can employers

Reactions: Glucose
pension increase???? that is already taken up by the rent increase.....what a joke!!!!

Coles own brand Caramel Deluxe Biscuits, 200gms. $2.20 two weeks ago. Today $2.75. There goes my treat.
:(

Unfortunately the price of coffee beans is where the problem lies here. There is a shortage of beans because of failing crops so hence the increase in them. I’m not defending the supermarkets by any means. If they needed to increase by 5% they would probably increase by up to 10%. How else would they make their huge profits?
Ratbag ignorant COLES has dumped my favourite coffee - Robert Timms Cafe Freeze Dried Blend Medium!!
Replaced it large jars of Robert Timms lowest quality instant rubbish that tastes burnt. It’s undrinkable!
I rang Rbt Timms and had interesting conversations with their sales-marketing team and managers - they AGREE that there is NO INTELLIGENT reason for idiot Coles to dump a good coffee of Cafe quality and start stocking their cheapest (crappiest) product.
IGA stocks the Cafe Freeze Dried Silver lidded Robert Timms - so bugger Coles, I’m buying at IGA frm now on!

Reactions: IAN3005