Discover what big change Woolworths has made to their checkouts–will this affect you?

Are you one of the folks who routinely withdraw cash at Woolworths? We have some news for you.

Recently, an internal memo about Woolworths’ cash-withdrawal policies was leaked online, prompting the supermarket to issue a statement confirming some big changes.

The note stated that the cash withdrawal limit is being reduced to $200 per store transaction, a significant drop from their previous limit of $500.

Untitled-1 (2).jpg
Woolworths has changed its cash-withdrawal policies, reducing the withdrawal limit to $200 per transaction. Credit: Reddit

Currently, customers can withdraw money without making a purchase, but the leaked document states that cash withdrawals will only be available for those who bought at the store.

According to reports, the changes will be rolled out over the coming weeks, and all cash withdrawals won’t be possible without a purchase by the end of October.

It’s worth nothing though that in the leaked memo, the stated effectivity of the lowered cash withdrawal limit is September 12.

Offering an explanation for the change, Woolies spokesperson said reducing the amount of cash handled in stores corresponds with customer habits.

'This is due to the lack of cash being used in transactions, with the majority of customers opting for card-only transactions such as Everyday Pay,' the spokesperson stated.

The retailer also assured that they’re not planning on removing cash transactions altogether: ‘We understand cash remains an important payment option for some customers, and that’s why we'll continue to offer the ability to withdraw cash.’

Social media users have mixed reactions to this change. Some will be affected by this new policy, as one user wrote: ‘Oh, that's unfortunate because sometimes I get rent money out from the supermarket.’

‘The worst part of this change is that you are now required to purchase an item to withdraw cash rather than the current system where you don’t need to make a purchase,’ another user pointed out.

On the other hand, some shoppers claimed they don’t have an issue with this. ‘I don't really have any issue with this. They aren't a bank,’ a person commented.

‘Good. It's a grocery store, not a bank,’ another said.

The leaked document also states that keeping large volumes of cash in stores presents a security risk for team members. While the spokesperson didn't elaborate on this aspect of the memo, the retailer recently revealed it is introducing a raft of security measures to combat rampant shoplifting amid the cost-of-living crisis.

It’s not just Woolies under the gun and dealing with increasing retail crime. Coles has also reported 'an increase in theft which is an issue affecting all retailers across Australia and internationally.'

Recently, we reported a Woolies shopper who was denied a cash-out request at the supermarket. Our members shared their thoughts on the retailer’s policy.

Member @JKM_Storyteller wrote: ‘Honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect supermarkets to be treated like a bank where you can rock up and make a cash withdrawal over the counter. And using their checkouts as ATMs? Nah.’

Member @AlanQ pointed out: ‘Just use the self-serve checkout, maybe even buy something, then take out cash. It's a supermarket offering something that is purely for the convenience of THEIR customers, not a substitute for a bank.’

However, other members reiterated the convenience of withdrawing at the supermarket. Member @siameezer said: ‘Post offices are NOT convenient for many, ATMS are NOT always close by, and some banks are NOT allowing cash withdrawals.’

‘I regularly get $200 and sometimes more at the (manned) checkout. It’s a service they offer, and there’s nothing wrong in using it,’ member @Thecheesequeen shared.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has changed its cash-withdrawal policies, reducing the withdrawal limit to $200 per transaction.
  • Reports say that starting late October, customers can only withdraw cash during a purchase.
  • These changes, confirmed by Woolworths, are being implemented due to the majority of customers preferring card transactions.
  • Security concerns over maintaining large quantities of cash in stores have instigated various new security measures.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you get cash out regularly at Woolworths? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
No one was forced to get vaccinated.I'm glad I did, I got Covid and sailed through it.Everyone has a choice of what to vote for,just read up on things then use your common sense to which way you wish to go.I never get swayed by ads on topics I do my own research then decide which way I wish t proceed

No one was forced to get vaccinated.I'm glad I did, I got Covid and sailed through it.Everyone has a choice of what to vote for,just read up on things then use your common sense to which way you wish to go.I never get swayed by ads on topics I do my own research then decide which way I wish t proceed
Yes they were forced to vaccinate or lose their jobs ,I won’t be forced to do anything ,I had the jabs ,never got covid. I make my own choices adds don’t sway me ,I learn by my mistakes .

Another major business pushing for a cashless society, they make more money from cards in fees , our government is gutless and is following everything that wef tells them to do.
The move to a cashless society is driven by people, such as myself and almost every individual under the age of 60.

My partner still prefers to use cash, so I call him a fossil that is steeped in the previous century (I am 7 years older than he).

I use my card for 99.9% of the time and because I select "cash" when I insert the card into the EFTPOS machine, I don't pay any fees! As for all other transactions, I log onto my bank account and transfer money for bills from my savings account to avoid any fees. There are some exceptions, such as airline tickets.

Another major business pushing for a cashless society, they make more money from cards in fees , our government is gutless and is following everything that wef tells them to do.
It's not them that are pushing for a cashless society but it's the way we use our cards and especially since covid came to us. Holding large amounts of cash in a retail store costs them in insurance and the less they hold, the cheaper it is as well as reduced costs for the Armoured car services. As I worked in retail for many years, I saw changes in the way we handled cash from us taking it to the bank to deposit to Armoured Guard doing it. The frequency of them coming has even diminished from weekly to monthly.

Reactions: Trudi
It's not them that are pushing for a cashless society but it's the way we use our cards and especially since covid came to us. Holding large amounts of cash in a retail store costs them in insurance and the less they hold, the cheaper it is as well as reduced costs for the Armoured car services. As I worked in retail for many years, I saw changes in the way we handled cash from us taking it to the bank to deposit to Armoured Guard doing it. The frequency of them coming has even diminished from weekly to monthly.
The big companies can afford it they make billions off the consumer.

• Haha
Reactions: Robbo3006 and Trudi
Are you one of the folks who routinely withdraw cash at Woolworths? We have some news for you.

Recently, an internal memo about Woolworths’ cash-withdrawal policies was leaked online, prompting the supermarket to issue a statement confirming some big changes.

The note stated that the cash withdrawal limit is being reduced to $200 per store transaction, a significant drop from their previous limit of $500.

View attachment 29603
Woolworths has changed its cash-withdrawal policies, reducing the withdrawal limit to $200 per transaction. Credit: Reddit

Currently, customers can withdraw money without making a purchase, but the leaked document states that cash withdrawals will only be available for those who bought at the store.

According to reports, the changes will be rolled out over the coming weeks, and all cash withdrawals won’t be possible without a purchase by the end of October.

It’s worth nothing though that in the leaked memo, the stated effectivity of the lowered cash withdrawal limit is September 12.

Offering an explanation for the change, Woolies spokesperson said reducing the amount of cash handled in stores corresponds with customer habits.

'This is due to the lack of cash being used in transactions, with the majority of customers opting for card-only transactions such as Everyday Pay,' the spokesperson stated.

The retailer also assured that they’re not planning on removing cash transactions altogether: ‘We understand cash remains an important payment option for some customers, and that’s why we'll continue to offer the ability to withdraw cash.’

Social media users have mixed reactions to this change. Some will be affected by this new policy, as one user wrote: ‘Oh, that's unfortunate because sometimes I get rent money out from the supermarket.’

‘The worst part of this change is that you are now required to purchase an item to withdraw cash rather than the current system where you don’t need to make a purchase,’ another user pointed out.

On the other hand, some shoppers claimed they don’t have an issue with this. ‘I don't really have any issue with this. They aren't a bank,’ a person commented.

The leaked document also states that keeping large volumes of cash in stores presents a security risk for team members. While the spokesperson didn't elaborate on this aspect of the memo, the retailer recently revealed it is introducing a raft of security measures to combat rampant shoplifting amid the cost-of-living crisis.

It’s not just Woolies under the gun and dealing with increasing retail crime. Coles has also reported 'an increase in theft which is an issue affecting all retailers across Australia and internationally.'

Recently, we reported a Woolies shopper who was denied a cash-out request at the supermarket. Our members shared their thoughts on the retailer’s policy.

Member @JKM_Storyteller wrote: ‘Honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect supermarkets to be treated like a bank where you can rock up and make a cash withdrawal over the counter. And using their checkouts as ATMs? Nah.’

Member @AlanQ pointed out: ‘Just use the self-serve checkout, maybe even buy something, then take out cash. It's a supermarket offering something that is purely for the convenience of THEIR customers, not a substitute for a bank.’

However, other members reiterated the convenience of withdrawing at the supermarket. Member @siameezer said: ‘Post offices are NOT convenient for many, ATMS are NOT always close by, and some banks are NOT allowing cash withdrawals.’

‘I regularly get $200 and sometimes more at the (manned) checkout. It’s a service they offer, and there’s nothing wrong in using it,’ member @Thecheesequeen shared.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has changed its cash-withdrawal policies, reducing the withdrawal limit to $200 per transaction.
  • Reports say that starting late October, customers can only withdraw cash during a purchase.
  • These changes, confirmed by Woolworths, are being implemented due to the majority of customers preferring card transactions.
  • Security concerns over maintaining large quantities of cash in stores have instigated various new security measures.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you get cash out regularly at Woolworths? Let us know in the comments!

So they lowered the amount you can withdraw from 500 to 200, that negates your story.
Well it is not a bank
They offered this service to the people, so it is a bank. We never asked, they offered, get your facts straight.

• Haha
Reactions: Trouper21 and Trudi
Nobody was forced, well if a mandate and not being able to go out to the shops is not forced I don't know what is, and that's the tip of the iceberg.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Leenie
Thank you, I thought you meant me. I believe we both have the same opinions. So sick if being called a conspiracy theorist. There's definitely a conspiracy, but it's not being cooked up by people like us.
I hit the wrong column and had to correct ,my apologies people are so hard to get the message too , it’s not only WEF,its theUN andWHO as well people should just look at what is happening in the world these people were the worst from their countries and now dictating to the world. God help us all.

View attachment 29603

Key Takeaways

I get cash out at woolies as a safety precaution as l am scared of the atms outside of buildings where people have been robbed while taking their money out. Or there have been scanners on the atms that enabled card reading.

Reactions: Robbo3006
So they lowered the amount you can withdraw from 500 to 200, that negates your story.

They offered this service to the people, so it is a bank. We never asked, they offered, get your facts straight.
No, it does not negate Trouper's "story" at all. What it does suggest is that the majority of people are using a card to pay for their purchases and, as a result, there is less money available in the supermarket for cash withdrawals! Hence the reduction from $500 to $200.

Prior to the pandemic, I used to have cash in my purse and used that cash for smaller purchases - usually for under $20.00. Just prior to when all non-essential shops were ordered to stay closed, I withdrew $100 from my bank and I still had that amount in my purse 9 months later! I no longer carry any cash at all. I have 4 children - all of them partnered as well as 5 grandchildren aged between 13 and 23, none of them have used cash for years.

As Trouper stated, the frequency of armoured services taking cash from the store to the bank had been reduced from weekly to monthly, confirming that very few shoppers still use cash!

As for Lynjw's comment, supermarkets have no interest in being banks, however, inviting customers to withdraw cash reduces the amount of cash on the premises and reduces the amount of cash that ultimately has to be deposited but changes the nature of takings to electronic deposits. A win/win for both customers and stores!

Last edited:
I hit the wrong column and had to correct ,my apologies people are so hard to get the message too , it’s not only WEF,its theUN andWHO as well people should just look at what is happening in the world these people were the worst from their countries and now dictating to the world. God help us all.
Careful, the boogy man will get you

I tried to withdraw cash out at Woolworths after making a purchase on my Visa Debit card. The card-reader rejected me 3 times, saying I’d used the wrong PIN number. I was pretty sure it was the right one, so I went to the bank, where I decided to first try to withdraw cash automatically there. It worked! I got my money straight away, with the PIN number that had been rejected by Woolies. I’ve been back to that Woolies since, but they say nobody else has reported that problem. I just hope it doesn‘t happen again.
We just had it happen on Saturday. Same thing, yet I was sure I used the correct pin. Went to a different register and it worked. Strange .

I know they're not a bank, but as someone said earlier there aren't many ATM'S around and if you find one and it's not your bank you pay anywhere up to $4 when it costs the banks less than 50c for the transaction.

Reactions: Robbo3006