Discover this clever and simple trick one supermarket is using to combat customers' bad broccoli habits!

When it comes to mindful spending, every cent counts, so when we came across this story from a supermarket chain over the ditch, we just had to share it with you all.

Outsmarting the rising cost of living requires a good dose of creativity, and that is precisely what the New Zealand supermarket chain, New World, displayed when they introduced an incredibly inventive strategy to tackle shoppers' wasteful ways with broccoli.

A sharp-eyed shopper spotted an interesting change on the supermarket's shelves and quickly shared a snap online, saying, 'Waste not, want not.' What caught the customers’ attention? The humble broccoli stalks, typically treated like kitchen scraps, are now neatly packaged and available for just a little under 1 Aussie dollar.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.04.52 pm.png
Would you buy broccoli stalks on their own? Image source: Reddit.

The decision to sell these 'discarded' broccoli stems was influenced by a trend noticed among Kiwi and Australian shoppers. In an attempt to trim down their grocery bill, many folks were leaving behind broccoli stalks, choosing only the flowering head. However, New World's innovative solution has been welcomed with open arms. The stalks, which some would toss aside, are palatable, even preferred by some!

Many customers wholeheartedly embraced the new product, saying, 'Great idea!' and 'I would buy those,' with a few admitting they favour the stalk over the broccoli head.

One clever broccoli fan commented, 'I love this! I always grate broccoli stems into Thai curries or cut them up for stir fries.'

And another shopper was all praise for the initiative, stating, 'I like that supermarkets are doing stuff like this.'

It just goes to show, one person's waste can indeed be another's treasure.

Interestingly, this isn't the only frugal manoeuvre supermarket customers have utilised in recent times. A Woolworths shopper, in a daring attempt to save money last month, chose to remove the banana peel before weighing it on the register's scales.

Key Takeaways
  • A New Zealand supermarket chain, New World, started selling bald broccoli stalks, often considered food scraps.
  • This move was in response to a trend among Australian shoppers who would leave behind broccoli stalks to save on their grocery bills.
  • Many online commentators applauded the idea, with several stating that they preferred the stalk to the broccoli head.
  • This trend followed a similar frugal move by a Woolworths shopper last month who peeled bananas before weighing them.

While these act might be a bit extreme for most of us, it is indicative of the growing trend of value-conscious consumers. As Gary Mortimer, Professor of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour at Queensland University of Technology, pointed out to Yahoo News Australia, 'I suspect they’re incredibly isolated incidents of extreme ways to save money at the checkout.’

In light of this trend with broccoli stalks, can shoppers expect more similar gimmicks with other produce?

‘I don't imagine we'll see banana skins laying around supermarkets any time soon,' Mortimer said.

There we have it, folks! A simple solution from a Kiwi supermarket is making waves, encouraging us to rethink our shopping habits and reduce waste while saving some dollars. Who knows, you might find yourself discovering a new favourite ingredient in the otherwise neglected broccoli stalk!

What do you think of this savvy way to ensure all parts of the humble broccoli get used? Would you buy the broccoli stalks on their own? Tell us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
When it comes to mindful spending, every cent counts, so when we came across this story from a supermarket chain over the ditch, we just had to share it with you all.

Outsmarting the rising cost of living requires a good dose of creativity, and that is precisely what the New Zealand supermarket chain, New World, displayed when they introduced an incredibly inventive strategy to tackle shoppers' wasteful ways with broccoli.

A sharp-eyed shopper spotted an interesting change on the supermarket's shelves and quickly shared a snap online, saying, 'Waste not, want not.' What caught the customers’ attention? The humble broccoli stalks, typically treated like kitchen scraps, are now neatly packaged and available for just a little under 1 Aussie dollar.

View attachment 25894

The decision to sell these 'discarded' broccoli stems was influenced by a trend noticed among Kiwi and Australian shoppers. In an attempt to trim down their grocery bill, many folks were leaving behind broccoli stalks, choosing only the flowering head. However, New World's innovative solution has been welcomed with open arms. The stalks, which some would toss aside, are palatable, even preferred by some!

Many customers wholeheartedly embraced the new product, saying, 'Great idea!' and 'I would buy those,' with a few admitting they favour the stalk over the broccoli head.

One clever broccoli fan commented, 'I love this! I always grate broccoli stems into Thai curries or cut them up for stir fries.'

And another shopper was all praise for the initiative, stating, 'I like that supermarkets are doing stuff like this.'

Interestingly, this isn't the only frugal manoeuvre supermarket customers have utilised in recent times. A Woolworths shopper, in a daring attempt to save money last month, chose to remove the banana peel before weighing it on the register's scales.

Key Takeaways

• A New Zealand supermarket chain, New World, started selling bald broccoli stalks, often considered food scraps.
  • This move was in response to a trend among Australian shoppers who would leave behind broccoli stalks to save on their grocery bills.
  • Many online commentators applauded the idea, with several stating that they preferred the stalk to the broccoli head.
  • This trend followed a similar frugal move by a Woolworths shopper last month who peeled bananas before weighing them.

While these act might be a bit extreme for most of us, it is indicative of the growing trend of value-conscious consumers. As Gary Mortimer, Professor of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour at Queensland University of Technology, pointed out to Yahoo News Australia, 'I suspect they’re incredibly isolated incidents of extreme ways to save money at the checkout.’

In light of this trend with broccoli stalks, can shoppers expect more similar gimmicks with other produce?

‘I don't imagine we'll see banana skins laying around supermarkets any time soon,' Mortimer said.

There we have it, folks! A simple solution from a Kiwi supermarket is making waves, encouraging us to rethink our shopping habits and reduce waste while saving some dollars. Who knows, you might find yourself discovering a new favourite ingredient in the otherwise neglected broccoli stalk!

What do you think of this savvy way to ensure all parts of the humble broccoli get used? Would you buy the broccoli stalks on their own? Tell us in the comments section below!
If these brocolli stalks were previously thrown out, why can't the supermarkets just give them away?
Everything these days has to come at a price......talk about greed.

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

I think this is fantastic. I spend a fortune on vegies to ad to my elderly doggies dinner so I would definitely go for these and anything else that they can sell. These off cuts would make great stock and I love roasted vegies including broccoli stems. Hope all shops do this 👍

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

Great ideas for stir fries!

Yes! Great for all sorts of dishes! The supermarket has already paid for them so why not sell them for a lower price? It’s not greedy, it’s a great idea to save waste.

[first][/first]​

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

And, as any observant shopper can confirm, COLES are now selling vegetables and other produce which do not meet the ridiculous visual appearances demanded by most, if not all supermarkets. at a substantial discount from the allegedly visually perfect some dumb arsed shoppers apparently require.

And, as any observant shopper can confirm, COLES are now selling vegetables and other produce which do not meet the ridiculous visual appearances demanded by most, if not all supermarkets. at a substantial discount from the allegedly visually perfect some dumb arsed shoppers apparently require.
Coles with their Im Perfect range and Woolworth with their Odd Bunch have been doing this for quite a few years now. It is not new.

When buying cauliflowers I always buy one (or half) with leaves intact, carrots with the tops still attached, radish, kohlrabi and beetroot with their leaves, and yes broccoli with the stems. All these things are edible, delicious and can be eaten raw in salads or cooked. I don't understand why people just throw them away. It does mean I look for the healthy tops of the veg as well as the 'bulb' though 😋

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

l love the stems from both broccoli and cauliflower...they are great in a stirfry

Reactions: Jennylolo
I cooked broccoli today and cut up the stems and put it in between the florets and it is a great vegetable . If I don’t use any parts of food like banana peel or pineapple skin , it goes into my compost heap and when it is fully composted it goes back into my yard . There is not much that get wasted . My general waste bin is just about empty when it goes on the kerbside.

If these brocolli stalks were previously thrown out, why can't the supermarkets just give them away?
Everything these days has to come at a price......talk about greed.
I would suggest the small cost is for labour, packaging & a need to maintain hygiene standards because people are going to take them home to cook & eat these themselves. These aren't for the chooks.
Can you imagine how many people would 'paw' these stems as they sort through the loose stalks looking for 'the perfect' stem?

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

I just love using broccoli stems , especially in noodle dishes als stir fries ,savoury minced dishes any type of cooking .give it an A..
Juno2807

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 25894

Key Takeaways

i love the stalks more than the broccoli itself. reminds me of the Kai Lan back home where we pay more for the big fat stalks and mum used to throw away the leaves except for the little flower top. very good in stir fries with wine and just soy. crunchy and yummy

Reactions: Ezzy