Discover the two-ingredient Woolworths cake tip that's taking the internet by storm

Here at Seniors Discount Club, we value a good deal. With the cost of groceries perpetually rising, we're always on the lookout for budget-friendly yet scrumptious recipes that can satisfy our sweet tooth without leaving a hole in our wallets.

Well, fellow frugal food lovers, this might be the solution that you’re looking for! Woolworths shoppers can't help but rave about a simple, delectable, and economical two-ingredient cake-baking method making waves on social media.

This tasty treat costs less than $3 and has garnered the title of the ‘perfect lunch treat’.

So, what are the ingredients? A packet of the Woolworths Essentials brand Vanilla Cake Mix, priced at only 90 cents, and a tin of apples, which will require a mere $2 investment.

The viral recipe caught the attention of a popular Australian food vlogger who goes by @alicias.kitchen online, who decided to give it a go herself.

‘Everyone has been going crazy for this,’ she said.

1cake.jpg
The mum added glazing to her finished cake. Credit: alicias.kitchen/TikTok

In a video she uploaded online, she admits she was initially hesitant to try the minimalist dessert.

However, to her, and her family's delight, they found the concoction to be incredibly moist and delicious.

One of the beautiful aspects of this recipe is its flexibility. The social media creator notes that you don't need to limit yourself to apple slices; feel free to experiment and combine any other fruit with the cake mix.

Additionally, if you're looking to elevate the flavours, she suggests adding a simple icing sugar glaze and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the cake.

You can watch the mum’s video below:

Our very own Editor at the SDC, April, also tried her hand at creating a version of this cake using cake mix, lemonade, tinned apple, cinnamon and some chai protein powder.

cake1.jpg
You can always put your twist on the recipe. Credit: SDC

According to April, the recipe felt ‘strange’ to make, but the cake tasted ‘yummy’ in the end.

‘It tasted like any apple cinnamon muffin, but maybe a bit sweeter,’ she shared.

So, if you're interested in trying this sensational two-ingredient cake for yourself, follow these simple steps:

Ingredients:
  • One tin of Woolworths Apple Slices Pie Fruit 385g – $2 (you could also substitute this with any fruit of your choosing)
  • One packet of Woolworths Essentials Cake Mix Vanilla 340g – 90c
Method:
1. In a bowl, combine the can of apple slices and the cake mixture.

2. Follow the baking instructions on the cake mix package.

3. Enjoy your dessert!

It’s worth noting that you can use any budget cake mix. Other social media users have had great success with Coles and ALDI’s cheapest cake mixes as well.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the innovative food enthusiasts on social media who keep surprising us with their creativity and resourcefulness.

These talented foodies have also been transforming regular Woolworths mud cakes into affordable yet stunning masterpieces by re-frosting them with finesse. In one instance, one Aussie mum showed how easy it is to bake a cake that looks like it was made by a pro.

‘I just wanted to share [what] I did for my hubby's 50th Birthday,’ she said in a post online. You can see her cake creation in this article.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths shoppers are obsessing over an easy, delicious, and inexpensive two-ingredient cake recipe on social media.
  • The two-ingredient cake costs less than $3 and uses the Woolworths Essentials brand vanilla cake mix and a tin of apples.
  • Popular Australian food vlogger, @alicias.kitchen, shared her experience trying the viral recipe online, saying her family was pleasantly surprised by the moist and delicious result.
  • The online content creator also pointed out that the recipe can be customised with different fruits and toppings, like an icing sugar glaze and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Do you have cake creations you’re proud of? We’d love to see them! Share them in the comments below and tell us the story behind them or upload and share them in our Cooking and Recipes forum here.

Sponsored
I have made this easy recipe as a cake and also in my pie-maker as little cupcakes.
It really does work, and you can use any can of fruits that you have in the pantry.

Hi All

Just a question, as my system didn't allow me to watch the video, do you drain the fruit, or is it used as part of the fluid you use for the cake?

Cheers

Yes I was wondering that too. Do you use the liquid and how much do you need to use?

Yes I was wondering that too. Do you use the liquid and how much do you need to use?
In the video, they are using the 400 gr size can of Ardmona pie apples.
I like Ardmona brand pie apples as it's 100% apples, no sugar added. Also, I wouldn't think there's any need to drain any juice for a cake.

In the video, they are using the 400 gr size can of Ardmona pie apples.
I like Ardmona brand pie apples as it's 100% apples, no sugar added. Also, I wouldn't think there's any need to drain any juice for a cake.
But if you were using peaches or apricots there’s a lot more juice than in apples so probably just use your common sense and don’t make too wet.