Discover the simple routine that keeps this 89-year-old looking 20 years younger

We all have our own ideas of what we need to do to lead long, healthy lives. Many will incorporate a combination of different things – like eating more nutritious superfoods, regular physical activity, and positive thinking.

But for an 89-year-old man, the secret to looking ’20 years younger’ involves a much simpler routine than that.

Tips on how to look, feel, and stay young are a dime a dozen on social media. While most of them are sound advice that many should follow, we know there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to maintaining good health or longevity.

However, we can learn a few things from 89-year-old bachelor Robert Eddison.

A writer by profession, Mr Eddison shared his simple routines to maintain his youth on social media – where he’s become somewhat of a viral sensation.

rob1.jpg
Mr Eddison is a writer, but he’s also worked in a Foreign Office consultancy. Credit: RobertEddison.com

To stay physically fit, Mr Eddison begins his days with light stretches. He said he started his morning routine in his 30s when he first experienced back pain and insists that stretching every single morning has warded off the pain ever since.

‘My back was so bad it skewed to the right. So, I decided to fix it, and I went to an osteopath who worked himself out of a job,’ he told reporters.

He added: ‘He recommended these two to four minutes of stretches before I get up, and it was incredible.’ Since then, Mr Eddison has been pairing his daily stretching exercises with a 30-minute yoga or swimming session.

Mr Eddison also does some balancing exercises on top of his stretching routine. He said that he stands on one leg for a few minutes as often as he can, and this has led him to walk without support/

‘If you use a stick, you become dependent on it and lose the ability to walk without one. I aim to do my balance exercises every day,’ he said.

One study found that older adults who cannot balance on one leg for 10 seconds, which researchers dubbed as the ‘flamingo test’, are at an increased risk of ‘all-cause mortality’ within the next seven years.

According to the study, balance diminishes after the mid-50s, which increases the risks of falls or other adverse health outcomes.

They found that the 10-second assessment provided useful rapid, and objective feedback to both study participants and their healthcare professionals. They also found that there is a ‘potential benefit’ to doing the ‘flamingo test’ to improve balance and overall physical health.

The Flamingo Test.jpg
Here’s how to do the ‘flamingo test’. Credit: The Seniors Discount Club

Mr Eddison also shared clips of himself walking through his morning routine, shocking social media users with his flexibility. In one clip, he challenged viewers to see if they were more flexible than him before getting down on the floor, kicking his legs up and over his shoulders until his toes touched the floor above his head.

You can watch the demonstration of his exercises below:

The now-viral clip garnered 13.1 million views and over 20,000 comments from people in shock. Many of them insisted that Mr Eddison ‘doesn’t look a day over 60’.

‘Oh my, I’m 29, and I can’t do that,’ one wrote.

‘I literally have back problems now. I aspire to be you,’ another replied.

According to Mr Eddison, people don’t often believe he’s almost 90. Many have also accused him of lying about his age.

‘Every time I go out, people tell me I must be in my 70s or 60s. They even accuse me of lying to them,’ he shared.

Mr Eddison also said he ‘massages’ an anti-ageing cream with UV protection on his face for the past 50 years. He also said he’s been pinching the skin below his eyes ‘for most of his life’ to prevent wrinkles.

‘And what’s more, I neither drink nor smoke,’ he added.

Mr Eddison also explained the importance of ‘exercising the brain’. ‘Make sure to stretch your brain every day,’ he claimed. Doing brain games and solving riddles or puzzles helps develop critical thinking skills at any age. Check out our Jokes, Fun, and Games forum if you want to see more of this content!

Born in 1933 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Mr Eddison said he’s ‘learnt to use his brain more fully’. This lets him focus and live effortlessly in the present moment.

‘I discovered that curiosity is a wonderful way to develop the power of thought. By asking endless questions, as children do, I found myself seeing things holistically and being interested in everything,’ he explained.

Aside from that, Mr Eddison recommends a healthy diet, regular exercise and positive thinking as important for achieving longevity.

You can watch all of Mr Eddison’s tips below:

Key Takeaways
  • 89-year-old Robert Eddison swears by daily stretching exercises, yoga and a strict skin-care routine to achieve his youthful looks.
  • He also follows balancing exercises and avoids using a walking stick.
  • He also recommends a proper diet, regular exercise and positive thinking as important for a long and healthy life.
Members, have you picked up any tips or tricks? Tell us your secrets in the comments below!

Sponsored
Wow... how good does he look and he is so flexible.

Love seeing a man on here instead of women all the times, so thank you.

I think he has looked after his body for all these years and now his body is looking after him.

I'm guessing though his hair is either dyed or its a wig.

He is surely an inspiration , well done

We all have our own ideas of what we need to do to lead long, healthy lives. Many will incorporate a combination of different things – like eating more nutritious superfoods, regular physical activity, and positive thinking.

But for an 89-year-old man, the secret to looking ’20 years younger’ involves a much simpler routine than that.

Tips on how to look, feel, and stay young are a dime a dozen on social media. While most of them are sound advice that many should follow, we know there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to maintaining good health or longevity.

A writer by profession, Mr Eddison shared his simple routines to maintain his youth on social media – where he’s become somewhat of a viral sensation.

View attachment 15281
Mr Eddison is a writer, but he’s also worked in a Foreign Office consultancy. Credit: RobertEddison.com

To stay physically fit, Mr Eddison begins his days with light stretches. He said he started his morning routine in his 30s when he first experienced back pain and insists that stretching every single morning has warded off the pain ever since.

‘My back was so bad it skewed to the right. So, I decided to fix it, and I went to an osteopath who worked himself out of a job,’ he told reporters.

He added: ‘He recommended these two to four minutes of stretches before I get up, and it was incredible.’ Since then, Mr Eddison has been pairing his daily stretching exercises with a 30-minute yoga or swimming session.

Mr Eddison also does some balancing exercises on top of his stretching routine. He said that he stands on one leg for a few minutes as often as he can, and this has led him to walk without support/

‘If you use a stick, you become dependent on it and lose the ability to walk without one. I aim to do my balance exercises every day,’ he said.

One study found that older adults who cannot balance on one leg for 10 seconds, which researchers dubbed as the ‘flamingo test’, are at an increased risk of ‘all-cause mortality’ within the next seven years.

According to the study, balance diminishes after the mid-50s, which increases the risks of falls or other adverse health outcomes.

They found that the 10-second assessment provided useful rapid, and objective feedback to both study participants and their healthcare professionals. They also found that there is a ‘potential benefit’ to doing the ‘flamingo test’ to improve balance and overall physical health.

View attachment 15282

Mr Eddison also shared clips of himself walking through his morning routine, shocking social media users with his flexibility. In one clip, he challenged viewers to see if they were more flexible than him before getting down on the floor, kicking his legs up and over his shoulders until his toes touched the floor above his head.

The now-viral clip garnered 13.1 million views and over 20,000 comments from people in shock. Many of them insisted that Mr Eddison ‘doesn’t look a day over 60’.

According to Mr Eddison, people don’t often believe he’s almost 90. Many have also accused him of lying about his age.

‘Every time I go out, people tell me I must be in my 70s or 60s. They even accuse me of lying to them,’ he shared.

Mr Eddison also said he ‘massages’ an anti-ageing cream with UV protection on his face for the past 50 years. He also said he’s been pinching the skin below his eyes ‘for most of his life’ to prevent wrinkles.

Mr Eddison also explained the importance of ‘exercising the brain’. ‘Make sure to stretch your brain every day,’ he claimed. Doing brain games and solving riddles or puzzles helps develop critical thinking skills at any age. Check out our Jokes, Fun, and Games forum if you want to see more of this content!

Born in 1933 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Mr Eddison said he’s ‘learnt to use his brain more fully’. This lets him focus and live effortlessly in the present moment.

‘I discovered that curiosity is a wonderful way to develop the power of thought. By asking endless questions, as children do, I found myself seeing things holistically and being interested in everything,’ he explained.

Aside from that, Mr Eddison recommends a healthy diet, regular exercise and positive thinking as important for achieving longevity.

Key Takeaways

• 89-year-old Robert Eddison swears by daily stretching exercises, yoga and a strict skin-care routine to achieve his youthful looks.
  • He also recommends a proper diet, regular exercise and positive thinking as important for a long and healthy life.
Members, have you picked up any tips or tricks? Tell us your secrets in the comments below!

I am turning 63 in a few weeks. Just aced the flamingo test on the first attempt, so i am pretty happy with that!

I have started doing a smsall exercise routine in the mornings while I wait for the kettle to boil. I can now go up and down stairs easier than a few months ago. I can definitely see the benefits so will add these stretches to my routine because it is much easier to do on the bed. Great inspriations.

All I can say is some people are very fortunate not to develop arthritis. Doing exercises all our lives will not prevent it. He probably would look better without his wig. Good luck to him though doing well at his age. My mother is 89 soon, and very fortunate & lucky that her mind is still fine.

View attachment 15281

View attachment 15282

Key Takeaways

Oh okay,his body might be in okay condition and he apparently is still flexible and can do all his exercises etc. Good on him. But as another person commented, he looks like he's wearing a dyed wig( nothing wrong with that by the way) but it does help to make him look younger and personally I think he has DEFINATELY had work ie plastic surgery done on his face. Again nothing wrong with that if it's your thing but this and his additions to his hair are making him look younger along with the exercise. Just saying.🤔😀

Reactions: Ricci