Discover the secret to a healthy life

As we age, our bodies tend to be much less forgiving when it comes to the ill effects of sleep deprivation.

And while it's true that one poor night's rest won't drastically affect your physical health long-term, chronically inadequate sleep is linked to several serious health issues.

And it's not just our physical health that's impacted in the long term. Studies have found that not getting adequate sleep, or not getting restorative sleep, can also heighten mental health concerns, such as depression or anxiety.

Furthermore, not sleeping enough or sleeping poorly has been linked to memory loss, poorer concentration, decreased motor skills, and even an increased risk of a car accident.

sleep1.jpg
Insufficient sleep can lead to several health problems. Credit: Ivan Cujic/Pexels

For adults between the ages of 18 to 64, the recommended amount of sleep per night is 7 to 9 hours. While adults over 65 need about 6 hours of sleep (at the minimum) to feel refreshed.

However, experts suggest that only getting six hours of sleep regularly can have serious consequences for your health. You can read more about that here.

Yet, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28.4 per cent of working adults slept 6 or fewer hours per night in 2009 – that number jumped to 32.6 per cent by 2017/2018.

So, while getting a good night’s sleep is linked to improved mood, and greater concentration, it can also help reduce the risk of serious health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Better sleep can also mean a stronger immune system, thereby making you less vulnerable to illnesses.

When you don’t get enough sleep, your body produces ghrelin, a hormone that boosts your appetite, this can make it harder for you to lose weight. Your body also reduces the production of leptin, which is a hormone that tells you when you’re full, which could lead you to crave more junk food.

sleep2.jpg
Getting enough sleep improves your mood. Credit: Jaymantri/Pexels

If you want to improve your sleeping habits, we’ve got some tips we’d like to share!

Tip #1: Comfort is key.

Create a comfortable sleep environment by making sure your bedroom is dark and quiet.

Tip #2: Adjust the temperature.

The best bedroom temperature to sleep in is approximately 18.3°C. Of course, this can vary depending on your preference, so feel free to adjust accordingly.

Tip #3: Curate a routine.

Set a bedtime routine to signal your body that it’s time to wind down. If you’re having trouble coming up with a routine, we have got you covered.

Tip #4: Beds are for sleeping.

Use your bedroom for relaxation only, if possible.

Tip #5: Stay active as much as possible.

During the day, keeping your body active will help you burn off excess energy. You don’t have to go to the gym to stay fit, you can just follow our tips here. However, consult with your doctor first before starting any new exercise regimen.

Tip #6: Be mindful of your body.

Sprinkle in a bit of self-care in your daily routine. Try to meditate or take a warm bath to relax your body and mind.

Tip #7: Melatonin might help.

Melatonin is commonly used as a supplement for adults to help improve sleep. However, it is not for everyone. If you’re interested in taking melatonin supplements, it’s best to consult your GP first to be aware of the correct dosage and possible side effects (and to ensure it won’t negatively interact with any existing medication).

Tip #8: Stay away from blue light.

Blue light commonly comes from your phone or TV screen and can contribute to sleep difficulties. Therefore, avoid using your phone or watching TV at night while in bed. Putting down your devices an hour or two before bed is enough to improve your sleep quality.

Tip #9: Think twice about chocolate or coffee at night.

Coffee and chocolate have caffeine, a stimulant that can contribute to sleep deprivation.

Tip #10: Consult your doctor.

If you suffer from sleep-related problems, such as apnoea, sleep paralysis, or teeth grinding, visit your doctor so they can suggest long-term solutions.

Key Takeaways
  • Not getting enough sleep can increase the risk for serious health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
  • Adults between 18 and 64 need 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night. While 65 and over need a minimum 6 hours of sleep (at the minimum) to feel refreshed.
  • Getting adequate sleep can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
  • There are various tips, such as exercising and avoiding coffee late in the day, to help with getting better sleep.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Let us know in the comments! And remember, it's never too late to start developing healthy sleep habits!

Sponsored
As we age, our bodies tend to be much less forgiving when it comes to the ill effects of sleep deprivation.

And while it's true that one poor night's rest won't drastically affect your physical health long-term, chronically inadequate sleep is linked to several serious health issues.

And it's not just our physical health that's impacted in the long term. Studies have found that not getting adequate sleep, or not getting restorative sleep, can also heighten mental health concerns, such as depression or anxiety.

Furthermore, not sleeping enough or sleeping poorly has been linked to memory loss, poorer concentration, decreased motor skills, and even an increased risk of a car accident.

View attachment 12396
Insufficient sleep can lead to several health problems. Credit: Ivan Cujic/Pexels

For adults between the ages of 18 to 64, the recommended amount of sleep per night is 7 to 9 hours. While adults over 65 need about 6 hours of sleep (at the minimum) to feel refreshed.

However, experts suggest that only getting six hours of sleep regularly can have serious consequences for your health. You can read more about that here.

Yet, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28.4 per cent of working adults slept 6 or fewer hours per night in 2009 – that number jumped to 32.6 per cent by 2017/2018.

So, while getting a good night’s sleep is linked to improved mood, and greater concentration, it can also help reduce the risk of serious health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Better sleep can also mean a stronger immune system, thereby making you less vulnerable to illnesses.

When you don’t get enough sleep, your body produces ghrelin, a hormone that boosts your appetite, this can make it harder for you to lose weight. Your body also reduces the production of leptin, which is a hormone that tells you when you’re full, which could lead you to crave more junk food.

View attachment 12397

If you want to improve your sleeping habits, we’ve got some tips we’d like to share!

Create a comfortable sleep environment by making sure your bedroom is dark and quiet.

The best bedroom temperature to sleep in is approximately 18.3°C. Of course, this can vary depending on your preference, so feel free to adjust accordingly.

Set a bedtime routine to signal your body that it’s time to wind down. If you’re having trouble coming up with a routine, we have got you covered.

During the day, keeping your body active will help you burn off excess energy. You don’t have to go to the gym to stay fit, you can just follow our tips here. However, consult with your doctor first before starting any new exercise regimen.

Sprinkle in a bit of self-care in your daily routine. Try to meditate or take a warm bath to relax your body and mind.

Melatonin is commonly used as a supplement for adults to help improve sleep. However, it is not for everyone. If you’re interested in taking melatonin supplements, it’s best to consult your GP first to be aware of the correct dosage and possible side effects (and to ensure it won’t negatively interact with any existing medication).

Blue light commonly comes from your phone or TV screen and can contribute to sleep difficulties. Therefore, avoid using your phone or watching TV at night while in bed. Putting down your devices an hour or two before bed is enough to improve your sleep quality.

Coffee and chocolate have caffeine, a stimulant that can contribute to sleep deprivation.

If you suffer from sleep-related problems, such as apnoea, sleep paralysis, or teeth grinding, visit your doctor so they can suggest long-term solutions.

Key Takeaways

• Not getting enough sleep can increase the risk for serious health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
  • Adults between 18 and 64 need 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night. While 65 and over need a minimum 6 hours of sleep (at the minimum) to feel refreshed.
  • There are various tips, such as exercising and avoiding coffee late in the day, to help with getting better sleep.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Let us know in the comments! And remember, it's never too late to start developing healthy sleep habits!
May I say that nearly all of this afternoon’s articles have been just too much for me!!! Let’s have something a bit more fun and joyful please!!!

Reactions: Ricci and debjoel21

View attachment 12396

View attachment 12397

Key Takeaways

Wear an anti-covid mask in public! Easter crowds have increased covid-19 victims by 60% in Victoria. a Number are dead and too many are in ICU. The Pandemic is NOT over so respect yourself and others; wear that mask!

Oh yes; get a decent night's sleep etc as well.

Reactions: Kgee and Ricci
My main cause of non sleep is I suffer from restless leg syndrome. This started when I was 27, am now 76.
Sometimes it keeps me awake all night.
Has anybody discovered a magic potion to stop this.
I take Caltrate, magnesium and have been prescribed Pramipexole but this problem still persists.

My main cause of non sleep is I suffer from restless leg syndrome. This started when I was 27, am now 76.
I take Caltrate, magnesium and have been prescribed Pramipexole but this problem still persists.
Daily leg stretches and I don't get the syndrome anymore. plus magnesium of course.

I also get restless leg syndrome sometimes but fortunately not every night. I dont know what causes it. My Mum used to get it and one of my daughters also. Perhaps its hereditary? I haven't found any solution.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I also get restless leg syndrome sometimes but fortunately not every night. I dont know what causes it. My Mum used to get it and one of my daughters also. Perhaps its hereditary? I haven't found any solution.
Yes, apparently it is hereditary.
Drs have told me it's lack of magnesium, but I take two a day.
Maybe you could ask your Dr for a script for Sifrol which works pretty well if you are not too bad.I take one Sifrol, two magnesium and one caltrate a day and it has relieved it a lot.
Actually have an appointment tomorrow to discuss blood test results, new Dr told me it can be iron deficiency related, according to recent studies. We shall see. It is so annoying.

Reactions: Kgee
Yes, apparently it is hereditary.
Drs have told me it's lack of magnesium, but I take two a day.
Maybe you could ask your Dr for a script for Sifrol which works pretty well if you are not too bad.I take one Sifrol, two magnesium and one caltrate a day and it has relieved it a lot.
Actually have an appointment tomorrow to discuss blood test results, new Dr told me it can be iron deficiency related, according to recent studies. We shall see. It is so annoying.
Thank you so much for that. I also take a super magnesium daily for cramps but its possibly why i dont have restless leg more often. I will talk to my doctor about Sifrol. Yes, its really annoying.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Saw a new Dr yesterday, after my blood tests. I apparently have a B12 and iron deficiency, so he has suggested remedies for that which may help a bit and also stretching exercises before bed.
They will possibly start you on a low dose of Sifrol, which for me worked initially but had to be gradually increased. I now take the highest dose, hope you find it helpful.

Thank you so much for that. I also take a super magnesium daily for cramps but its possibly why i dont have restless leg more often. I will talk to my doctor about Sifrol. Yes, its really annoying.