Discover the money-saving ways Australians are using amidst rising living costs

The dream of a comfortable life is becoming increasingly elusive as the nation grapples with a significant cost of living crisis.

The escalating housing costs and the financial aftermath of a global lockdown have left many Australians re-evaluating their spending habits and making drastic cutbacks.

The Sydney Morning Herald recently questioned whether we are witnessing the 'end of the Australian middle class' as more and more Aussies report their struggles.

The rising cost of living has forced many to reconsider their day-to-day purchases and eliminate common staples, including food.

towfiqu-barbhuiya-0ITvgXAU5Oo-unsplash.jpg
More Aussies have been tightening their belts due to the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash

Some Australians have confessed to not consuming red meat in months due to skyrocketing supermarket prices. Others have resorted to cancelling their streaming accounts and ‘started sailing the high seas of piracy’.

Some also admitted that they were ‘going easy’ on their car’s accelerator, where they ‘just let it coast when I see a red light ahead’.

Social media has been abuzz with discussions on how Australians manage the rapid increase in the cost of living.

The common ritual of indulging in a breakfast cafe trip has become a luxury many can no longer afford.

The cost of dining out has led people to reduce or eliminate this expense from their budgets, opting for more economical meals at home.

Once considered a cheap and convenient meal option, fast food has also seen a significant price increase.

'Surely fast food places have to be losing business. Who is buying a Big Mac meal for like $20? I can make lunches for a week for the same price, and it actually tastes like real food,' one person commented.

‘The Bacon, Egg and Cheeseburger at my local cafe near work has gone from $4.50 to $6.50, to $7.50, to $8.50 and now $9.50. Last one of those I’ll be buying for a while,’ another added.

However, shopping at the supermarket is not always the cheapest option.

One shopper recently shared their shock at their ‘insane’ purchase of $22.80 for ingredients to make a simple ham and cheese sandwich.

Families have also rarely bought full cuts of premium meats like steak or chicken breast, as they turned to more budget-friendly but less-healthy options like minced meat and chicken tenders.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Australians have also become conscious of buying beverages.

Some venues now charge over $12 for a can of beer, which customers flatly decline.

The grim situation has also led to the re-evaluation of entertainment budgets, with many Australians strategically subscribing to streaming services during discounted periods or cancelling their subscriptions entirely.

Hand-me-downs have also become the norm for many, as parents opted out of buying new clothes for their children and relied on previously worn items as a cost-effective alternative.

Window shopping in department stores is less frequent as families tighten their financial belts. They said they minimised their trips to retail giants and only go there when necessary and with a specific purpose.

Browsing and impulse buying practices of shoppers have been replaced with a more intentional and focused shopping approach.

People are being forced to forgo a lot more than just takeaway coffee.

‘We’re seeing a new demographic of people turning to charities for support over the past 18 months,’ a spokesperson for St Vincent de Paul Society, a volunteer organisation in New South Wales, noted.

‘It has been very concerning to see a growing number of people in employment and families on dual incomes reaching out in a time of desperation because of the cost of living.’

According to not-for-profit Foodbank’s 2023 Hunger Report, an estimated 3.7 million households are battling serious food insecurity.

Food insecurity is the need to make 'unenviable choices about what and when they eat', like skipping meals or not eating the whole day.

Around 50 per cent of Aussies are experiencing 'some level of distress in meeting the most basic needs' when it comes to putting food on the table. This harsh reality paints a stark picture of the current cost of living crisis.

Foodbank Chief Executive Brianna Casey said, ‘Food insecurity is waking early and sending your child off to school with a rumbling tummy and empty lunch box because you’ve been forced into an impossible choice between paying the rent or buying food that week.’

‘Food insecurity is living at home alone as a pensioner, convincing yourself that three meals a day is a luxury and that two–or even one–will suffice.’

‘Food insecurity is rushing to the fruit platter at a working lunch in the office because fresh fruit and vegetables have become a treat rather than a dietary staple,’ she added.

‘Food insecurity is now having a mortgage, a full-time job and a side hustle, yet food is a discretionary spend in the household budget.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are resorting to extreme measures due to the country's ongoing cost of living crisis.
  • Many Aussies have to reassess their everyday purchases and are cutting out common staples from their diets due to inflated prices.
  • The cost of dining out and buying groceries has become a significant issue, causing individuals to reduce or eliminate these from their budgets, often opting for more budget-friendly but less healthy options.
  • An estimated 3.7 million Australian households are currently dealing with serious food insecurity, with people skipping meals or going whole days without eating.
What are your money-saving tips amidst these rising living costs? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The dream of a comfortable life is becoming increasingly elusive as the nation grapples with a significant cost of living crisis.

The escalating housing costs and the financial aftermath of a global lockdown have left many Australians re-evaluating their spending habits and making drastic cutbacks.

The Sydney Morning Herald recently questioned whether we are witnessing the 'end of the Australian middle class' as more and more Aussies report their struggles.

The rising cost of living has forced many to reconsider their day-to-day purchases and eliminate common staples, including food.

View attachment 36219
More Aussies have been tightening their belts due to the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash

Some Australians have confessed to not consuming red meat in months due to skyrocketing supermarket prices. Others have resorted to cancelling their streaming accounts and ‘started sailing the high seas of piracy’.

Some also admitted that they were ‘going easy’ on their car’s accelerator, where they ‘just let it coast when I see a red light ahead’.

Social media has been abuzz with discussions on how Australians manage the rapid increase in the cost of living.

The common ritual of indulging in a breakfast cafe trip has become a luxury many can no longer afford.

The cost of dining out has led people to reduce or eliminate this expense from their budgets, opting for more economical meals at home.

Once considered a cheap and convenient meal option, fast food has also seen a significant price increase.

'Surely fast food places have to be losing business. Who is buying a Big Mac meal for like $20? I can make lunches for a week for the same price, and it actually tastes like real food,' one person commented.

‘The Bacon, Egg and Cheeseburger at my local cafe near work has gone from $4.50 to $6.50, to $7.50, to $8.50 and now $9.50. Last one of those I’ll be buying for a while,’ another added.

One shopper recently shared their shock at their ‘insane’ purchase of $22.80 for ingredients to make a simple ham and cheese sandwich.

Families have also rarely bought full cuts of premium meats like steak or chicken breast, as they turned to more budget-friendly but less-healthy options like minced meat and chicken tenders.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Some venues now charge over $12 for a can of beer, which customers flatly decline.

The grim situation has also led to the re-evaluation of entertainment budgets, with many Australians strategically subscribing to streaming services during discounted periods or cancelling their subscriptions entirely.

Hand-me-downs have also become the norm for many, as parents opted out of buying new clothes for their children and relied on previously worn items as a cost-effective alternative.

Window shopping in department stores is less frequent as families tighten their financial belts. They said they minimised their trips to retail giants and only go there when necessary and with a specific purpose.

Browsing and impulse buying practices of shoppers have been replaced with a more intentional and focused shopping approach.

‘We’re seeing a new demographic of people turning to charities for support over the past 18 months,’ a spokesperson for St Vincent de Paul Society, a volunteer organisation in New South Wales, noted.

‘It has been very concerning to see a growing number of people in employment and families on dual incomes reaching out in a time of desperation because of the cost of living.’

According to not-for-profit Foodbank’s 2023 Hunger Report, an estimated 3.7 million households are battling serious food insecurity.

Food insecurity is the need to make 'unenviable choices about what and when they eat', like skipping meals or not eating the whole day.

Around 50 per cent of Aussies are experiencing 'some level of distress in meeting the most basic needs' when it comes to putting food on the table. This harsh reality paints a stark picture of the current cost of living crisis.

Foodbank Chief Executive Brianna Casey said, ‘Food insecurity is waking early and sending your child off to school with a rumbling tummy and empty lunch box because you’ve been forced into an impossible choice between paying the rent or buying food that week.’

‘Food insecurity is living at home alone as a pensioner, convincing yourself that three meals a day is a luxury and that two–or even one–will suffice.’

‘Food insecurity is rushing to the fruit platter at a working lunch in the office because fresh fruit and vegetables have become a treat rather than a dietary staple,’ she added.

‘Food insecurity is now having a mortgage, a full-time job and a side hustle, yet food is a discretionary spend in the household budget.’
Key Takeaways

• Australians are resorting to extreme measures due to the country's ongoing cost of living crisis.
  • Many Aussies have to reassess their everyday purchases and are cutting out common staples from their diets due to inflated prices.
  • The cost of dining out and buying groceries has become a significant issue, causing individuals to reduce or eliminate these from their budgets, often opting for more budget-friendly but less healthy options.
  • An estimated 3.7 million Australian households are currently dealing with serious food insecurity, with people skipping meals or going whole days without eating.
What are your money-saving tips amidst these rising living costs? Share them with us in the comments below.
The truth is we have been "taught" to buy "stuff" but most of it we don't need. I'm certainly guilty of that. We don't eat out a lot as we don't eat most of what the cafes and pubs serve up. Vegetables in our house are almost nil, fruit is minimum (hubby likes mangoes and bananas. I have grown my own strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and mulberries. I usually eat two meals a day. Meat, eggs or chicken. I drink mineral water. We do have Pepsi Max and I'd love to drop that lot but hubby likes it. I have kept dairy but limit it to cream in coffee and occasional desserts.

Reactions: Gsr
I have resorted to having breakfast (either toast or cereal, not both), a cuppa & plain biscuit for morning tea which I have about 11.30-12, then my main meal between 2-2.30pm. I have dessert (which I make myself) for my evening meal. By spreading my meals I find I don't feel the need for 3 "normal" meals a day. It's sad but that's what the govt has done to pensioners in this country.

I have resorted to having breakfast (either toast or cereal, not both), a cuppa & plain biscuit for morning tea which I have about 11.30-12, then my main meal between 2-2.30pm. I have dessert (which I make myself) for my evening meal. By spreading my meals I find I don't feel the need for 3 "normal" meals a day. It's sad but that's what the govt has done to pensioners in this country.
I've given up bread, cereal and a lot of other stuff. Even with what my husband has I find I eat much better and can do two meals a day and not be hungry. I haven't eaten breakfast for years. Have coffee with cream, then chicken bits or left over roast or whatever is in the fridge and then do evening meal, chops, steak and eggs or some other meat. Keeps me healthy

Reactions: Gsr and Observer

View attachment 36219

Key Takeaways

Won't be very long befor the only people able to afford eating out will be politicians.

Reactions: magpie1 and Gsr
I’ve posted this twice before. You do not need to go without meals. I recommend you look at old recipe books and by old I mean 1930’s - 1960’s. Or even earlier.ones. There are many depression years cook books out there, or go on line, really easy. Another good source is wartime cookery. These recipes are still valid and workable. They are not all stodgy or tasteless. We also have a
vast array of foodstuffs that were not available in those days to enhance taste. You also do not buy ready made or preprepared food. Use your local greengrocers not the supermarket only. Learn about meat cuts on all animals. Learn what to do with cheaper cuts and try to make things like simple terrines and meatloaves. These make wonderful meals and contrary to popular belief terrines are not expensive to make, neither are meatloaves. Making your own sausages is easy and satisfying and something you could share with friends or family as a fun day with benefits. Learn how to make Greek, Italian, Indian, Thai food. Wonderful substantial foods using cheaper ingredients and giving glorious flavours. Make your own meat/ or vegetable pies. Yes you can use ready made pastry. I can make a small chicken serve 8 individual pies, by adding it to maybe a leek, chicken and vegetable, Thai chicken, chicken and mushroom etc the list is endless. They freeze very well. I use the breast to do this, then there are 2 legs and the wings which will make a casserole or a curry feeding at least 2 people, next make a large pot of a thick and tasty chicken and vegetable soup using the carcass. Add lentils, barley, pasta. Use a base of carrots, celery, onions and then whatever vegetables you like. Soup doesn’t take all day. Check out modern soup recipes. Chicken carcasses are very cheap. I can make a large pot which serves at least 8-10 decent portions. What’s wrong with making won tons, dumplings, dim sims all dirt cheap to make. Go back to having puddings which can be made with whatever fruit is in season, A simple fruit salad needs only three or four fruits but add cheap tinned fruit to it. Cook cakes, so cheap to make yourself or if you are inclined there are very cheap cake mixes. Fruit pies, crumbles, sponges, I can go on and on. Just get with the program people. Stop being so lazy, research, learn, ask your older relatives whatever works. I have been a professional cook in my earlier days and I have taught hundreds of people through community house courses, tafe, CWA, and adult education classes and many other community based classes. I understand how to budget, I know how to buy vegetables, fruit, meats, and pretty much anything else. If you don’t know how ask a friend, get together with family and make big batch foods like so many immigrant communities do. There is no reason to not eat properly in Australia. You just have to get proactive grow some vegetables in a pot if you don’t have a garden, runner beans, peas grown in a hanging basket, or green beans, salad greens. Let me know how you go and many of you out there already do this. Tell the rest of us how you manage. Nobody says its all easy but change never is until it becomes habit.

I’ve posted this twice before. You do not need to go without meals. I recommend you look at old recipe books and by old I mean 1930’s - 1960’s. Or even earlier.ones. There are many depression years cook books out there, or go on line, really easy. Another good source is wartime cookery. These recipes are still valid and workable. They are not all stodgy or tasteless. We also have a
vast array of foodstuffs that were not available in those days to enhance taste. You also do not buy ready made or preprepared food. Use your local greengrocers not the supermarket only. Learn about meat cuts on all animals. Learn what to do with cheaper cuts and try to make things like simple terrines and meatloaves. These make wonderful meals and contrary to popular belief terrines are not expensive to make, neither are meatloaves. Making your own sausages is easy and satisfying and something you could share with friends or family as a fun day with benefits. Learn how to make Greek, Italian, Indian, Thai food. Wonderful substantial foods using cheaper ingredients and giving glorious flavours. Make your own meat/ or vegetable pies. Yes you can use ready made pastry. I can make a small chicken serve 8 individual pies, by adding it to maybe a leek, chicken and vegetable, Thai chicken, chicken and mushroom etc the list is endless. They freeze very well. I use the breast to do this, then there are 2 legs and the wings which will make a casserole or a curry feeding at least 2 people, next make a large pot of a thick and tasty chicken and vegetable soup using the carcass. Add lentils, barley, pasta. Use a base of carrots, celery, onions and then whatever vegetables you like. Soup doesn’t take all day. Check out modern soup recipes. Chicken carcasses are very cheap. I can make a large pot which serves at least 8-10 decent portions. What’s wrong with making won tons, dumplings, dim sims all dirt cheap to make. Go back to having puddings which can be made with whatever fruit is in season, A simple fruit salad needs only three or four fruits but add cheap tinned fruit to it. Cook cakes, so cheap to make yourself or if you are inclined there are very cheap cake mixes. Fruit pies, crumbles, sponges, I can go on and on. Just get with the program people. Stop being so lazy, research, learn, ask your older relatives whatever works. I have been a professional cook in my earlier days and I have taught hundreds of people through community house courses, tafe, CWA, and adult education classes and many other community based classes. I understand how to budget, I know how to buy vegetables, fruit, meats, and pretty much anything else. If you don’t know how ask a friend, get together with family and make big batch foods like so many immigrant communities do. There is no reason to not eat properly in Australia. You just have to get proactive grow some vegetables in a pot if you don’t have a garden, runner beans, peas grown in a hanging basket, or green beans, salad greens. Let me know how you go and many of you out there already do this. Tell the rest of us how you manage. Nobody says its all easy but change never is until it becomes habit.
All sounds very good. I bet you are a wonderful cook. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: magpie1 and Gsr
I have resorted to washing once per month in cold water, showering once or twice a month, halved my bill on the phone, private medical, internet and given up cheese, cream, coffee, and there must be at least one person in the room to have a light on.
As soon as my contract is up on the mobile phone out she goes.
Have not had red meat for close on 20 years Nothing in packets or boxes.

• Wow
Reactions: Sylvsptr