Discover the ingenious trick this Aussie woman used to slash $18 off her petrol bill!

Have you noticed that, lately, the cost of petrol has been making a huge dent in your budget? Thankfully, there are always new and innovative ways to save money and ease some of life's financial burdens—like the petrol 'tip' this Aussie woman happily discovered!

Social media influencer Alex Davidson picked up this nifty trick while shopping at 7-Eleven.

Taking to social media to share her discovery, she said she uses a feature in the My 7-Eleven app (available on App Store and Google Play) called 'Fuel Locking', which allows customers to compare prices and 'lock in' the lowest price they can find for up to seven days.

The post quickly gained traction, earning almost 120,000 views from other cost-conscious shoppers.

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 2.10.41 PM.png
The Fuel Lock feature allows you to compare petrol prices at 7-Eleven petrol stations close to you and lock in the lowest fuel price for seven days. Credit: Facebook.

So, how does the Fuel Lock feature work?

With this tool, you can locate nearby 7-Eleven Stores that offer your preferred fuel, all while discovering the best local prices available. And that's not all—if you want to secure the best deal, you can lock in the current local price for your preferred fuel type, for a period of up to 7 days, right from the convenience of the app.

Once you've successfully locked in the price, the app will ensure that your Fuel Lock remains secure until the specified expiry date. When the time comes to fill up your tank, you'll have the privilege of purchasing your selected fuel type at the Fuel Lock price, limited to a single transaction. All you need to do is present your app to redeem your Fuel Lock and enjoy the benefits of this exclusive offer.

'This is your PSA [public service announcement] if you're not using the 7-Eleven app and fuel locking your price. I just saved $18 on my fuel because I locked in a good price and it lasts like seven days. The guy behind the counter was literally shocked,' Davidson said.

And the feedback kept on coming: 'Literally the best thing ever!! I've saved so much using it,' said one follower.

'I saved $25 the other day; I was so happy,' said another.

'I saved $42 once! Locked in 98 for $1.60 in Bathurst and filled up in Sydney where it was $2.40,' a third commenter said.

Suppose you don't have any 7-Eleven stores nearby, no need to fret! You still have alternative ways to compare and save on fuel prices.

One such solution is the Petrol Spy website, a clever tool designed to assist you in finding the lowest price for the fuel you require. Simply enter your city or postcode, and voila! All the necessary details will be right at your fingertips.

Gone are the days when saving on petrol was a tedious task. Thanks to today's technology, a few simple clicks and taps on your phone can make a significant difference to your wallet. Who would have thought it could be so effortless?

Key Takeaways

• A savvy Sydneysider has found a simple fuel-saving technique using the 7-Eleven app, which allowed her to save $18.
  • The app allows you to compare petrol prices at 7-Eleven petrol stations and lock in the lowest fuel price for seven days.
  • The feature is highly appreciated by many customers who commented on her social media post, some of whom shared their savings experiences.
  • If there are no 7-Eleven stores nearby, it is suggested to use other online tools, such as the Petrol Spy website, to compare fuel prices.

Members, have you tried this clever trick? Have you saved yourself some money at the pump? Let us know by commenting below!

Sponsored
I use the 7 eleven app including locking in the cheap fuel price for a week. It also gives you 50c off coffees and every 7th visit you get a small freeby, like a Mars bar or similiar.

I will always check 711 stores prices especially when I’m out of my area and lock in the price to use at my local one during the next week- doesn’t always save me money- but I don’t have to use it either

Have you noticed that, lately, the cost of petrol has been making a huge dent in your budget? Thankfully, there are always new and innovative ways to save money and ease some of life's financial burdens—like the petrol 'tip' this Aussie woman happily discovered!

Social media influencer Alex Davidson picked up this nifty trick while shopping at 7-Eleven.

Taking to social media to share her discovery, she said she uses a feature in the My 7-Eleven app (available on App Store and Google Play) called 'Fuel Locking', which allows customers to compare prices and 'lock in' the lowest price they can find for up to seven days.

The post quickly gained traction, earning almost 120,000 views from other cost-conscious shoppers.

View attachment 24895
The Fuel Lock feature allows you to compare petrol prices at 7-Eleven petrol stations close to you and lock in the lowest fuel price for seven days. Credit: Facebook.

With this tool, you can locate nearby 7-Eleven Stores that offer your preferred fuel, all while discovering the best local prices available. And that's not all—if you want to secure the best deal, you can lock in the current local price for your preferred fuel type, for a period of up to 7 days, right from the convenience of the app.

Once you've successfully locked in the price, the app will ensure that your Fuel Lock remains secure until the specified expiry date. When the time comes to fill up your tank, you'll have the privilege of purchasing your selected fuel type at the Fuel Lock price, limited to a single transaction. All you need to do is present your app to redeem your Fuel Lock and enjoy the benefits of this exclusive offer.

'This is your PSA [public service announcement] if you're not using the 7-Eleven app and fuel locking your price. I just saved $18 on my fuel because I locked in a good price and it lasts like seven days. The guy behind the counter was literally shocked,' Davidson said.

And the feedback kept on coming: 'Literally the best thing ever!! I've saved so much using it,' said one follower.

'I saved $42 once! Locked in 98 for $1.60 in Bathurst and filled up in Sydney where it was $2.40,' a third commenter said.

Suppose you don't have any 7-Eleven stores nearby, no need to fret! You still have alternative ways to compare and save on fuel prices.

One such solution is the Petrol Spy website, a clever tool designed to assist you in finding the lowest price for the fuel you require. Simply enter your city or postcode, and voila! All the necessary details will be right at your fingertips.

Gone are the days when saving on petrol was a tedious task. Thanks to today's technology, a few simple clicks and taps on your phone can make a significant difference to your wallet. Who would have thought it could be so effortless?

Key Takeaways

• A savvy Sydneysider has found a simple fuel-saving technique using the 7-Eleven app, which allowed her to save $18.
  • The app allows you to compare petrol prices at 7-Eleven petrol stations and lock in the lowest fuel price for seven days.
  • The feature is highly appreciated by many customers who commented on her social media post, some of whom shared their savings experiences.
  • If there are no 7-Eleven stores nearby, it is suggested to use other online tools, such as the Petrol Spy website, to compare fuel prices.

Members, have you tried this clever trick? Have you saved yourself some money at the pump? Let us know by commenting below!
We did this when we spent 6 months travelling. Saved hundreds of dollars. Some places were truck fuel fill-ups card only. Some differences were 14 cents per litre. Still check our fuel app.

Drove into Northam yesterday, passed a Shell station ($1.69) then to Coles fuel outlet($2.01)with my 4 cent discount, 32 cents dearer.
Thank you so much Coles NOT!!!

• Sad
Reactions: Petra

View attachment 24895

Key Takeaways

My son has been using this for a couple of years.

View attachment 24895

Key Takeaways

I have been using both apps for a few years now, this is nothing new. I always compare them both where to get the least expensive 98 in my area 😊

We in Western Australia are "lucky" to have a price cycle. At the moment the cheapest day is Tuesday, so I always buy my fuel then. The next day the price will go up by 40 cents. The price then decreases each day until the next Tuesday. So every week I save at about 40 cents. Plus I get my 4 cents off!

Reactions: TheBear
I have been using this app for a few years now but it is nice to see the social media influencers catching up.
Has she heard that if you spend $30 at Coles or Woolworths you get a 4 cent discount on your petrol.

View attachment 24895

Key Takeaways

I’ve been doing that for ages. It’s great. Can also get 8c a litre off at shell with a car sales acct and flybuys

Not much good for me I only fill up one a month usually been retired I don't drive as much as I used to

View attachment 24895

'This is your use an app called fuel Map AustralianPSA [public service announcement] if you're not using the 7-Eleven app and fuel locking your price. I just saved $18 on my fuel because I locked in a good price and it lasts like seven days. The guy behind the counter was literally shocked,' Davidson said.

Key Takeaways

I use an app called Fuel Map Australia which lists the fuel prices at all service stations in the area where I am at the time. This enables me to save as much as 12 cents per litre under the prices at the major distributors.
That certainly shows me that the fuel discounts we are offered when we shop at major supermarkets are farcical.
I can also track my trips including the distances travelled, the total I have spent on fuel during a trip & progressive expenditure as I travel.
I highly recommend it to fellow motorists.

Reactions: MichTee
We use an app called "Petrol spy". We have a diesel car so I just click onto "diesel" and it brings up all the service stations in about a 10klm radius & shows all their prices. So easy, thank you son.

View attachment 24895

Key Takeaways

p

View attachment 24895

Key Takeaways

I have been using the 7/11 app for the past 3 years at least. It tell me how much I save on a monthly basis. I save on average of $60 to $80 a month on the prices - I use the U98 which also keeps my mechanical repairs down as well. I'm in Regional Victoria where petrol prices surge every day.

Reactions: MichTee
I always check for the cheapest fuel day here. It is usually a Tuesday in our area and then on Wednesday, it goes up by around 40 cents. What I believe is that this is overpricing of fuel and is once again gauging customers in the market. Exactly what is the price of fuel? It certainly is not what we are led to believe because in the same city, prices are different in different areas of the city.

I've known about this for ages but never thought of using it. I may not even want petrol within the allotted 7 days.

I use the petrol price apps mainly to check on EG/Ampol petrol stations where I get 4c off with my Woolies discount and another 4c off with Origin. I normally then beat the prices of other places doing that.

We have an OTR(On The Road) here in Wodonga. They are also in S.A.
The have an app that you can select the pump via QR code or manual selection. If you have a Credit or Debit card attached you can pay while you are still at the bowser and you can save extra with a press of a button between 0.02 and 0.20 cents per litre.
As I am disabled at the moment I get someone else to pump the fuel and I don't have to leave the car.