Discover the 6 veggies a doctor believes everyone MUST include in their diet

Eating vegetables provides many health benefits, but are some better for you than others?

According to Dr Zac Turner, six vegetables in particular shouldn’t be left off the plate.

Dr Turner, who has Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degrees from the University of Sydney and his experience as a registered nurse and biomedical scientist, knows a thing or two about nutrition.

As a medical practitioner and co-owner of telehealth service Concierge Doctors, he fields many questions from patients about what food they should be eating more of.

SDC Image 4.png
Dr Turner says that not all vegetables are equal in terms of nutritional value. Image source: jcomp on Freepik.

He shared a question about whether some vegetables are more nutritious than others.

And Dr Turner says that not all vegetables are created equal.

‘Just because they share the same description doesn’t mean they share the same nutritional value,’ he said.

He added that nutrition is all about balance and that there is a need to incorporate a variety of vegetables in one’s diet to ensure they receive a wide range of nutrients.

He also believed that vegetables should have a Health Star Rating like junk food. He said he’d give potatoes a 2.5-star rating and capsicum a 4-star rating.

Below are the vegetables Dr Turner said he’d give a 5-star rating:

SDC Images (4).png
Dr Turner said he’d give 5-star ratings to these vegetables. Image source: Racool_studio on Freepik.

1. Broccoli

This crunchy green contains a compound called sulforaphane that may help prevent cancer. Broccoli is also known to be chock-full of vitamins and minerals.

2. Brussels Sprouts

These contain kaempferol, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage and may decrease inflammation. Brussels sprouts are also high in fibre and many other essential nutrients, which can help prevent chronic disease.

3. Spinach

This leafy green is rich in vitamin K and antioxidants that benefit a person’s heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease.

4. Beetroot

They contain nitrates and several nutrients to boost athletic performance and improve blood sugar levels.

5. Sweet Potato

Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, which may help lessen the risk of lung cancer. This vegetable is also known to help regulate one’s blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

6. Rocket

Also known as arugula or rucola, this salad green is a nutrition powerhouse, and its refreshing and packed with a unique flavour compared with other leafy green vegetables. It’s also loaded with vitamin C, and a good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium and folate.

Key Takeaways

• Dr Zac Turner claims that vegetables are not created equal as different vegetables offer different nutritional values.
  • The doctor suggested placing Heath Star Ratings for vegetables based on their nutritional value.
  • He believes that balance is essential in nutrition, and it is important to incorporate a variety of vegetables into your diet to ensure you receive a wide range of nutrients.
  • He also recommended six vegetables for their nutritional value—broccoli, brussels sprouts, spinach, beetroots, sweet potatoes, and rocket.
Members, what are your favourite vegetables? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Eating vegetables provides many health benefits, but are some better for you than others?

According to Dr Zac Turner, six vegetables in particular shouldn’t be left off the plate.

Dr Turner, who has Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degrees from the University of Sydney and his experience as a registered nurse and biomedical scientist, knows a thing or two about nutrition.

As a medical practitioner and co-owner of telehealth service Concierge Doctors, he fields many questions from patients about what food they should be eating more of.

View attachment 32310
Dr Turner says that not all vegetables are equal in terms of nutritional value. Image source: jcomp on Freepik.

He shared a question about whether some vegetables are more nutritious than others.

‘Just because they share the same description doesn’t mean they share the same nutritional value,’ he said.

He added that nutrition is all about balance and that there is a need to incorporate a variety of vegetables in one’s diet to ensure they receive a wide range of nutrients.

He also believed that vegetables should have a Health Star Rating like junk food. He said he’d give potatoes a 2.5-star rating and capsicum a 4-star rating.

View attachment 32311
Dr Turner said he’d give 5-star ratings to these vegetables. Image source: Racool_studio on Freepik.

1. Broccoli

This crunchy green contains a compound called sulforaphane that may help prevent cancer. Broccoli is also known to be chock-full of vitamins and minerals.

2. Brussels Sprouts

These contain kaempferol, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage and may decrease inflammation. Brussels sprouts are also high in fibre and many other essential nutrients, which can help prevent chronic disease.

3. Spinach

This leafy green is rich in vitamin K and antioxidants that benefit a person’s heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease.

4. Beetroot

They contain nitrates and several nutrients to boost athletic performance and improve blood sugar levels.

5. Sweet Potato

Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, which may help lessen the risk of lung cancer. This vegetable is also known to help regulate one’s blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

6. Rocket

Also known as arugula or rucola, this salad green is a nutrition powerhouse, and its refreshing and packed with a unique flavour compared with other leafy green vegetables. It’s also loaded with vitamin C, and a good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium and folate.

Key Takeaways

• Dr Zac Turner claims that vegetables are not created equal as different vegetables offer different nutritional values.
  • The doctor suggested placing Heath Star Ratings for vegetables based on their nutritional value.
  • He believes that balance is essential in nutrition, and it is important to incorporate a variety of vegetables into your diet to ensure you receive a wide range of nutrients.
  • He also recommended six vegetables for their nutritional value—broccoli, brussels sprouts, spinach, beetroots, sweet potatoes, and rocket.
Members, what are your favourite vegetables? Share them with us in the comments below!
Sweet potatoes, carrots,asparagus,corn,potatoes and peas..but looks like I'll be including the recommended ones too! 😋👌

View attachment 32310

View attachment 32311

1. Broccoli

2. Brussels Sprouts

3. Spinach

4. Beetroot

5. Sweet Potato

6. Rocket

Key Takeaways

Good luck with that. Sweet potato and beetroot is too high in carbs (most diabetics are told by doctors not to eat them). The rest are full of oxalates. No good for anyone. Only good for the compost bin

• Haha
Reactions: Shane/# and Ricki
Sweet potato, potato, broccoli, carrot, cabbage, peas, cauliflower, beetroot. Anything stirfried
In addition I love salads.
looks like I’m doing OK.

Reactions: DLHM
I couldn’t live without my veggies…literally. As Dr Zac Turner said, it’s important to eat a variety because each have their own health properties to benefit our bodies in various ways. With his impressive credentials, I think he’s in a much better position than most doctors to advise about food for health.

Reactions: Leenie and Ricki

View attachment 32310

View attachment 32311

1. Broccoli

2. Brussels Sprouts

3. Spinach

4. Beetroot

5. Sweet Potato

6. Rocket

Key Takeaways

A humble crispy roast potato and gravy, any sort of gravy.

A humble crispy roast potato and gravy, any sort of gravy.
Your post reminds me of my dear mum. Her favourite vegetable was potato and especially with gravy.
I had a great-great aunt who claimed her longevity (she lived to her late 90’s, pretty good in the 1960’s), was attributed to eating potato every day. 🥰

Reactions: Ricki
Anything but broccoli or brussels sprouts! They are horribly incompatible with my taste buds....

• Haha
Broccoli is my favourite, I’d eat it every meal. I have taken a liking recently for corn on the cob but please don’t ever give me peas - even if my life depended on it lol

Reactions: Ricki
I love sweet potato, broccoli and beetroot and add asparagus in season, cauliflower and carrots and I am a happy camper. Eat vegetables every day and love salads too.

Reactions: DLHM and Ricki
Anything but broccoli or brussels sprouts! They are horribly incompatible with my taste buds....
and horribly incompatable with my health - e.g. diverticulitus, coeliac. etc. No onion, No sprouts, No cauliflower etc etc. FODMAP maybe

Sweet potato, potato, broccoli, carrot, cabbage, peas, cauliflower, beetroot. Anything stirfried
In addition I love salads.
looks like I’m doing OK.
I believe beetroot also cleanses your liver.