Discover how thrifty shoppers are using 'ALDI islands' to entertain crowds!

Charcuterie boards have become a popular trend for entertaining guests in recent years.

And now, thrifty shoppers have created a way to create beautiful—and budget-friendly—charcuterie spreads using products from the discount grocery store: ALDI.

A ‘charcuterie island’ is essentially a charcuterie board on a bigger scale. Rather than a cutting board with meats, cheeses, fruits and crackers, these islands are often sprawling spread buffet-style over a large table or other surface.

One clever mum recently wowed the internet when she shared a photo of the massive ALDI island she created for a family gathering.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 104533.png
A mum created a ‘charcuterie island’ using ALDI products. Credit: ALDI Aisle of Shame Community/Facebook

She picked up scores of appetisers, dips, sweets and more from ALDI for just $330.

She explained on social media, 'Other than the cupcakes that were homemade and one jar of olives, we bought everything from ALDI. Everyone was so impressed with all the yummy treats! ALDI for the win!'

Her spread included various cold cuts, fruits, vegetables and crackers. With ALDI's famously low prices, she pulled it off for a fraction of what a comparable spread would cost elsewhere.

Understandably, the post was a huge hit online. It racked up over 65,000 likes, shares and comments from fellow bargain hunters, many of whom said they were inspired to create an ALDI island for their own upcoming parties and holidays.

As one commenter said, 'Perfect with Christmas parties just around the corner!'

‘Next party, I am so doing an ALDI Island. Genius,’ another wrote.

A third person admitted: ‘I would be standing at this table for the entire time I’m at the party.’

A different ALDI shopper shared their own version of this large charcuterie spread, saying, ‘Sister made this for our baby shower! Such a hit with our guests!’

402846386_10223619611190564_6344601653909265202_n.jpg
Another ALDI customer shared their own charcuterie island. Credit: ALDI Aisle of Shame Community/Facebook

However, this clever idea received criticisms from hesitant hosts of celebrations. They pointed out that it could be a ‘breeding ground for germs’.

‘It just plain and simple is unhygienic,’ one person said.

‘I would not eat anything on that pool table, nor would I entertain it for a get-together at my home,’ another claimed.

A third person asked, ‘What’s wrong with using plates? Gross.’

While some worried that sharing food family-style could be unhygienic, others pointed out that using small platters and replenishing dishes frequently can prevent germ spread. The key is making sure everyone uses clean utensils and doesn't 'double-dip’.

As for concerns about waste, planning a menu carefully to match what guests will eat, sending leftovers home with them, and donating any excess to food pantries are great ways to cut down.

If you want to try your hand at an ALDI island, here are some top tips:
  • Make a list ahead of time and set a budget to avoid overspending
  • Mix high-end treats like a cheese assortment with simple crackers, dips and produce for balance
  • Go for crowd-pleasers like olives, nuts, fresh fruits and baked sweets
  • Use cookies, pretzels and chips to add crunch and variety
  • Arrange food in levels for visual appeal
  • Add festive touches like flowers, string lights or holiday decor
  • Supplement your island with a few homemade dishes

To start, here are some charcuterie board ideas you could try:

Key Takeaways
  • A mum has gone viral after sharing an image of her 'charcuterie Island', created using ALDI products, for a family gathering.
  • The post ignited a huge response on social media, with over 65,000 likes, shares and comments about this ‘genius’ idea.
  • Some criticised the concept, calling it unhygienic and wasteful.

What’s your take on charcuterie islands, members? Will you be trying them in your next gathering? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Charcuterie boards have become a popular trend for entertaining guests in recent years.

And now, thrifty shoppers have created a way to create beautiful—and budget-friendly—charcuterie spreads using products from the discount grocery store: ALDI.

A ‘charcuterie island’ is essentially a charcuterie board on a bigger scale. Rather than a cutting board with meats, cheeses, fruits and crackers, these islands are often sprawling spread buffet-style over a large table or other surface.

One clever mum recently wowed the internet when she shared a photo of the massive ALDI island she created for a family gathering.

View attachment 35217
A mum created a ‘charcuterie island’ using ALDI products. Credit: ALDI Aisle of Shame Community/Facebook

She picked up scores of appetisers, dips, sweets and more from ALDI for just $330.

She explained on social media, 'Other than the cupcakes that were homemade and one jar of olives, we bought everything from ALDI. Everyone was so impressed with all the yummy treats! ALDI for the win!'

Her spread included various cold cuts, fruits, vegetables and crackers. With ALDI's famously low prices, she pulled it off for a fraction of what a comparable spread would cost elsewhere.

Understandably, the post was a huge hit online. It racked up over 65,000 likes, shares and comments from fellow bargain hunters, many of whom said they were inspired to create an ALDI island for their own upcoming parties and holidays.

A third person admitted: ‘I would be standing at this table for the entire time I’m at the party.’

A different ALDI shopper shared their own version of this large charcuterie spread, saying, ‘Sister made this for our baby shower! Such a hit with our guests!’

View attachment 35218
Another ALDI customer shared their own charcuterie island. Credit: ALDI Aisle of Shame Community/Facebook

However, this clever idea received criticisms from hesitant hosts of celebrations. They pointed out that it could be a ‘breeding ground for germs’.

‘I would not eat anything on that pool table, nor would I entertain it for a get-together at my home,’ another claimed.

While some worried that sharing food family-style could be unhygienic, others pointed out that using small platters and replenishing dishes frequently can prevent germ spread. The key is making sure everyone uses clean utensils and doesn't 'double-dip’.

As for concerns about waste, planning a menu carefully to match what guests will eat, sending leftovers home with them, and donating any excess to food pantries are great ways to cut down.

• Mix high-end treats like a cheese assortment with simple crackers, dips and produce for balance

Key Takeaways

• A mum has gone viral after sharing an image of her 'charcuterie Island', created using ALDI products, for a family gathering.
  • The post ignited a huge response on social media, with over 65,000 likes, shares and comments about this ‘genius’ idea.

What’s your take on charcuterie islands, members? Will you be trying them in your next gathering? Let us know in the comments below!

Nope, don't want food poisoning ... I also don't eat wedding food, unless its fresh fruit or a piece of wedding cake.

At this time of the year I woukd hesitate to leave mountains if foid out in the open. Less is best if you want to avoid food poisoning.

Totally agree with you Maggie. Add the below information to giving people leftovers to transport home and you have a recipe for disaster.

How it works​

• Food held between 5°C and 60°C for less than 2 hours can be used, sold or put back in the refrigerator to use later.
  • Food held between 5°C and 60°C for 2-4 hours can still be used or sold, but can’t be put back in the fridge.
  • Food held between 5°C and 60°C for 4 hours or more must be thrown away.

Reactions: steelo5
"Charcuterie"? Never heard of this foreign term before in my life. And I hope I never hear it again.

What happened to the "smorgasbord"? Not trendy enough?
Smorgasbord is a far more correct term for what we have seen. Meaning a wide range of something, a variety.
Charcuterie ,means cold cooked or preserved meat.

View attachment 35217

View attachment 35218

Key Takeaways

Charcuterie is just an “in” term, same as grazing table. But the amount of food is greatly increased to have a wonderful eye appeal. Unfortunately I have seen so much left over food that quite often can’t be reused and has to be thrown out at most of the events I’ve been to that have had them. People tend to hold back if it’s placed in the middle of an event or don’t want to be continually hanging around the table and not mixing with other guests . Smaller tables arranged around the room/area are much more convenient and effective to have the food consumed and can be quickly topped up if needed. But I love looking at a charcuterie centre piece even if i have to decide to generally go hungry because I don’t want to be remembered as that lady who stood at the food board eating all the time!

Reactions: Glo72

View attachment 35217

View attachment 35218

Key Takeaways

I admit in the Summer Months, it could be a bit difficult. But I'm sure there is a way to get around the problem.maybe
putting the more possible food items
on a different area like meats and other things like that, would solve the problem. Using ice to keep everything less likely to spoil. Hot foods as well, putting that in an area where it can monitored if any possible spoiling may occur.
It may be a bit different but achievable, with a bit of thought.
The seconds and third serving peoples are the only guests to bring you undone.
Merry Christmas to All.

Charcuterie is just an “in” term, same as grazing table. But the amount of food is greatly increased to have a wonderful eye appeal. Unfortunately I have seen so much left over food that quite often can’t be reused and has to be thrown out at most of the events I’ve been to that have had them. People tend to hold back if it’s placed in the middle of an event or don’t want to be continually hanging around the table and not mixing with other guests . Smaller tables arranged around the room/area are much more convenient and effective to have the food consumed and can be quickly topped up if needed. But I love looking at a charcuterie centre piece even if i have to decide to generally go hungry because I don’t want to be remembered as that lady who stood at the food board eating all the time!
We have piles of plates for guest to use and tongs and serving spoons everywhere . We usually don't have much left after 2 hours and whatever is left is put in the fridge
Smorgasbord is a far more correct term for what we have seen. Meaning a wide range of something, a variety.
Charcuterie ,means cold cooked or preserved meat.
A Smorgasbord is dishes of different food organised next to each other. A grazing table is where there is basically a table full of different food with no gaps in between and not so organised

Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 35217

View attachment 35218

Key Takeaways

Gross lazy way to serve food.

those 'little boys' in the Rolls would be enough for me, after about six of those yummy salad falafel sandwiches.....great looking food well done Suzanne.

View attachment 35217

View attachment 35218

Key Takeaways

Good idea 💡 👍