Discover Australia's BIG Secrets: Why Tourists Are Flocking to See The 'Big Things'

Australia is an immensely popular tourist destination for numerous reasons, such as the beautiful natural landscape, unique wildlife, and friendly culture.

From the famous Sydney Opera House and amazing cities to the stunningly beautiful Great Barrier Reef, the Land Down Under is full of amazing attractions.

However, away from the big cities and conventional attractions, many hidden gems are sure to capture the attention of visitors, if they know where to look.

Australia has some magnificent and offbeat marvels that are often overlooked, large and looming and sure to keep you captivated.

We’re talking about the Big Things — comically oversized sculptures of random objects scattered around Australia, with each one being a unique tourism landmark of its own.

Take a road trip to outback Queensland and you’ll find the Big Pineapple, Big Mango and Big Easel, as well as the Big Cassowary found at the Wongaling Beach as part of the Shopping Complex.

Venturing over to New South Wales, you’ll find the Big Potato, Big Merino, Big Cheese, Big Chook, Big Banana and Big Oyster waiting to be discovered. And Victoria has its share of iconic attractions such as the Big Koala, Big Ned Kelly, and Big Milkshake.

It may seem strange that the tourism advertisements don’t include these enormous statues as one of the must-see attractions, but it’s only when you make your way to these parts that you’ll discover the hidden gems of Australia.

That’s what one visitor experienced when they flew into Australia and stumbled upon the 19-foot-tall Big Lobster set up at Kingston, South Australia.

pasted image 0 (5) (1).png
Tourists posed in front of the Big Lobster. Credit: Reddit.

The tourist took to social media to share their awe with a photo with their wife posing in front of the Big Lobster and wrote: 'Australia, you should advertise your attractions better! It’s totally worth the 17-hour flight to see this wonder.'

The post captured the attention of more than 11,000 users, with Aussies taking it to the comments section to suggest their state’s own Big Thing.

One user suggested: 'You need to go to the big potato in Robertson.'

'The Big Pineapple is also up northeast if that floats your boat. Big Banana is around as well. Our regional towns have a pretty good giant food game going to be honest,' another said.

pasted image 0 (6) (1).png
The Big Pineapple is a must-visit for tourists according to Queenslanders. Credit: Facebook/The Big Pineapple.

A third chimed in: 'The Big Bull was pretty iconic in my area growing up. Shut down for insurance reasons or something or other.'

'There’s a big koala in Victoria,' another suggested, adding that it looks 'slightly terrifying'.

Some feel as if Australia’s tourism advertisements are ‘cheating’ them out of the chance to travel to every single Big Thing in the country.

One user commented: ‘I feel cheated, all the tourist info just goes on and on about kangaroos and koalas and amazing landscapes!’

pasted image 0 (7) (1).png
While fascinating, others said that the Giant Koala has ‘scary eyes’. Credit: Facebook/Giant Koala.

The point stands, considering that the idea of these massive structures was originally born of a desire to promote the local area and attract more tourists.

The Big Things have proven to be extremely popular among tourists of all ages and from all walks of life. Whether it be families seeking a fun weekend outing, lone backpackers seeking a memorable photo, or locals wanting to experience something new, the ‘Big Things’ in Australia captivate a wide range of travellers.

The immense size, novelty and cheerful exteriors of the ‘Big Things’ are usually the initial draw for people. Tourists appreciate the photo opportunities that come with taking a selfie with a giant animal or landmark.

This fascination has skyrocketed the 'Big Things' to become an iconic part of Australian culture. People are regularly travelling to different parts of the country just to be able to get their hands on their own unique 'Big Thing' souvenir. The 'Big Thing' collections have never been more popular and are loved by locals and visitors alike.

Others made light of the situation, joking that this was a national embarrassment.

‘If you were American and didn't know Australia had Big Things, I wouldn't blame you. It's a massive national blind spot here too. But (we) have them & they're a way to experience small rural towns, get people together & have a social occasion,’ one commented.

Another agreed and added: ‘When I tell non-Australians about our big things (which admittedly are fairly niche to Australia) they ask why we don't use any of it in marketing world tourism. It's right there, right under our noses!’

‘The lack of awareness around our big things globally is considered totally awkward by Aussies. All my English friends have really really really liked the big things once placed in the context of the big wide Aussie out in the bush. Yay, mate!’ a third chimed in.

More visitors expressed their fascination for the Big Things for the first time during their trip to Australia.

One person shared: ‘I flew 23 hours to Australia and during one of our road trips, we passed by one. It was worth it.’

Another added: ‘I was assigned to work in Australia for a couple of years. I drove past one Big Thing but on the way back to my place. I thought I should give it a crack, maybe I'll stumble onto some undiscovered gem like Anthony Bourdain.’

pasted image 0 (4).png
Some of the most popular ‘Big Things’ in Australia. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Key Takeaways

• Australia is home to many unique Big Things, from the Big Pineapple and Big Boomerang to the Big Lobster and Big Kangaroo.
  • Tourists are fascinated by these attractions and inspired to search out their own local 'Big Things'
  • Social media has highlighted the lack of publicity these attractions get, with many Australians surprised to discover them.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club have nothing but respect and admiration for the Big Things and the tourism they bring to regional areas, so if you’re looking for a destination that's sure to surprise and astound, why not consider making a journey to a Big Thing?

These giant roadside attractions will certainly leave a lasting impression on you, your family and your loved ones.

Just remember to take lots of photos to capture the experience!

There you have it, folks! Do you think Australia should start marketing the Big Things as major tourist attractions? Better yet, is there a Big Thing near you that you are proud to show off? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love seeking out all the big things in Australia. I have seen quite a few. Some definitely worth seeing and some well I could just say "Why would they" example the big potato in Tasmania looks like a giant turd. Now the big thing is the Silo Art. Again some are fantastic and some a bit ordinary. But it gets you into the small towns. There is also Water tower art as well

The first big thing I saw was the Big Banana in Coffs Harbour
I was raised in Sydney by my grandparents and we visited my mother in Nambucca Heads in the early 70s and went on to visit the Big Banana and Banana plantations .

Late 80s we took our own kids we they loved .

I've since seen a few other big things including the Big Pineapple

It would certainly boost tourism for Australia! Most overseas people think all we have are kangaroos hopping around everywhere 😉

Australia is an immensely popular tourist destination for numerous reasons, such as the beautiful natural landscape, unique wildlife, and friendly culture.

From the famous Sydney Opera House and amazing cities to the stunningly beautiful Great Barrier Reef, the Land Down Under is full of amazing attractions.

However, away from the big cities and conventional attractions, many hidden gems are sure to capture the attention of visitors, if they know where to look.

Australia has some magnificent and offbeat marvels that are often overlooked, large and looming and sure to keep you captivated.

We’re talking about the Big Things — comically oversized sculptures of random objects scattered around Australia, with each one being a unique tourism landmark of its own.

Take a road trip to outback Queensland and you’ll find the Big Pineapple, Big Mango and Big Easel, as well as the Big Cassowary found at the Wongaling Beach as part of the Shopping Complex.

Venturing over to New South Wales, you’ll find the Big Potato, Big Merino, Big Cheese, Big Chook, Big Banana and Big Oyster waiting to be discovered. And Victoria has its share of iconic attractions such as the Big Koala, Big Ned Kelly, and Big Milkshake.

It may seem strange that the tourism advertisements don’t include these enormous statues as one of the must-see attractions, but it’s only when you make your way to these parts that you’ll discover the hidden gems of Australia.

That’s what one visitor experienced when they flew into Australia and stumbled upon the 19-foot-tall Big Lobster set up at Kingston, South Australia.

View attachment 13720

The tourist took to social media to share their awe with a photo with their wife posing in front of the Big Lobster and wrote: 'Australia, you should advertise your attractions better! It’s totally worth the 17-hour flight to see this wonder.'

The post captured the attention of more than 11,000 users, with Aussies taking it to the comments section to suggest their state’s own Big Thing.

'The Big Pineapple is also up northeast if that floats your boat. Big Banana is around as well. Our regional towns have a pretty good giant food game going to be honest,' another said.

View attachment 13719
The Big Pineapple is a must-visit for tourists according to Queenslanders. Credit: Facebook/The Big Pineapple.

A third chimed in: 'The Big Bull was pretty iconic in my area growing up. Shut down for insurance reasons or something or other.'

'There’s a big koala in Victoria,' another suggested, adding that it looks 'slightly terrifying'.

Some feel as if Australia’s tourism advertisements are ‘cheating’ them out of the chance to travel to every single Big Thing in the country.

One user commented: ‘I feel cheated, all the tourist info just goes on and on about kangaroos and koalas and amazing landscapes!’

View attachment 13718
While fascinating, others said that the Giant Koala has ‘scary eyes’. Credit: Facebook/Giant Koala.

The point stands, considering that the idea of these massive structures was originally born of a desire to promote the local area and attract more tourists.

The Big Things have proven to be extremely popular among tourists of all ages and from all walks of life. Whether it be families seeking a fun weekend outing, lone backpackers seeking a memorable photo, or locals wanting to experience something new, the ‘Big Things’ in Australia captivate a wide range of travellers.

The immense size, novelty and cheerful exteriors of the ‘Big Things’ are usually the initial draw for people. Tourists appreciate the photo opportunities that come with taking a selfie with a giant animal or landmark.

This fascination has skyrocketed the 'Big Things' to become an iconic part of Australian culture. People are regularly travelling to different parts of the country just to be able to get their hands on their own unique 'Big Thing' souvenir. The 'Big Thing' collections have never been more popular and are loved by locals and visitors alike.

Others made light of the situation, joking that this was a national embarrassment.

‘If you were American and didn't know Australia had Big Things, I wouldn't blame you. It's a massive national blind spot here too. But (we) have them & they're a way to experience small rural towns, get people together & have a social occasion,’ one commented.

Another agreed and added: ‘When I tell non-Australians about our big things (which admittedly are fairly niche to Australia) they ask why we don't use any of it in marketing world tourism. It's right there, right under our noses!’

‘The lack of awareness around our big things globally is considered totally awkward by Aussies. All my English friends have really really really liked the big things once placed in the context of the big wide Aussie out in the bush. Yay, mate!’ a third chimed in.

More visitors expressed their fascination for the Big Things for the first time during their trip to Australia.

One person shared: ‘I flew 23 hours to Australia and during one of our road trips, we passed by one. It was worth it.’

Another added: ‘I was assigned to work in Australia for a couple of years. I drove past one Big Thing but on the way back to my place. I thought I should give it a crack, maybe I'll stumble onto some undiscovered gem like Anthony Bourdain.’

View attachment 13717
Some of the most popular ‘Big Things’ in Australia. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Key Takeaways

• Australia is home to many unique Big Things, from the Big Pineapple and Big Boomerang to the Big Lobster and Big Kangaroo.
  • Tourists are fascinated by these attractions and inspired to search out their own local 'Big Things'
  • Social media has highlighted the lack of publicity these attractions get, with many Australians surprised to discover them.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club have nothing but respect and admiration for the Big Things and the tourism they bring to regional areas, so if you’re looking for a destination that's sure to surprise and astound, why not consider making a journey to a Big Thing?

These giant roadside attractions will certainly leave a lasting impression on you, your family and your loved ones.

There you have it, folks! Do you think Australia should start marketing the Big Things as major tourist attractions? Better yet, is there a Big Thing near you that you are proud to show off? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Another un-publicised feature Australia has are the awesome painted SILO's across our country plus the one near the ANZAC Bridge Sydney.

The first BIG feature I visited was the big banana at Coffs Harbour. We were on our honeymoon, I stood on the steps while hubby took my photo. Coming down in my high heels I tripped and fell, straight into hubbys arms at the bottom. So I really fell for him more than once. That was almost 49 years ago. We took our children there, our grandchildren have been there. I don’t think the steps are there anymore from pictures I have seen. We also visited the big pineapple with our children, and Uluru at Leyland Brothers world when it was a big tourist attraction with lots of activities happening. Another worthwhile attraction is the artworks on the walls of many buildings in Kurri Kurri NSW. I would love to see some of the silo art, it is on my bucket list.

I love seeking out all the big things in Australia. I have seen quite a few. Some definitely worth seeing and some well I could just say "Why would they" example the big potato in Tasmania looks like a giant turd. Now the big thing is the Silo Art. Again some are fantastic and some a bit ordinary. But it gets you into the small towns. There is also Water tower art as well
The big potato in Robertson - in the main street - looks like a big turd too.

View attachment 13720

View attachment 13719

View attachment 13718

View attachment 13717

Key Takeaways

IT IS NOT A LOBSTER .... The big lobster is actually a Big CRAYFISH.... Lobsters have claws/pincers just like a Mud crab

View attachment 13720

View attachment 13719

View attachment 13718

View attachment 13717

Key Takeaways

Yes, they should all be advertised more. How many people, even Australians, have heard of Stonehenge near Esperance?