Digital payment options expand as government phases out cheques by 2028

As we approach the end of the year, Services Australia is ushering in a significant shift in how Centrelink debt repayments are processed.

If you're repaying a Centrelink debt, stop using foreign currency cheques and money orders starting on 19 December.

This move is part of a broader trend towards digital payment methods, and pensioners and other Centrelink recipients need to be aware of these changes.

For those who still receive Centrelink benefits via cheques, it's worth noting that these payments typically arrive at least two weeks later than direct deposits.

The wait can be even longer, with the potential for postal delays.

1729037383714.png
Foreign currency cheques and money orders for Centrelink debt repayments will no longer be accepted from 19 December. Credit: Shutterstock

The government confirmed last December that it's working on a plan to phase out cheque payments, with a complete cessation of commercial and government cheque issuance by 2026.

The government will no longer accept cheques by 2028, and the entire cheque system in Australia will shut down by the end of 2030.

Cheques were once the king of non-cash payments, peaking in the 1980s when they accounted for 85 per cent of such transactions.

However, the rise of digital payment technologies and increased fraud and processing costs have rendered cheques nearly obsolete.

Yet, this shift poses challenges for Australia's ageing population, who may need help to adapt to digital alternatives.

Banks around the world are reducing their reliance on these traditional payment methods.

For instance, Denmark has yet to accept cheques since 2001.

In Australia, more than half of the nation's ATMs have disappeared in the past five years, as the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) reported.

The 2023 Australian Digital Inclusion Index (ADII) reveals that one in four Australians is digitally excluded, severely affecting their ability to manage health, access education and services, and maintain social connections.

Remote First Nations communities, older Australians, and those with the lowest incomes are most at risk of digital exclusion.

The 2024 Australian Attitudes to Getting Online report found that 14 per cent of Australians struggle to afford internet or phone bills, with some having to choose between digital access and necessities.

Additionally, many Australians, especially those with disabilities, feel overwhelmed by the pace of technological change.

To address this digital divide, Get Online Week, a national campaign by digital inclusion advocates Good Things Australia, will run from 14 to 20 October.

This initiative will feature hundreds of free digital skills events nationwide, helping Australians become more comfortable with digital tasks such as booking healthcare appointments, paying bills, using government services, and staying connected with loved ones.

Tip
For more information or to find an event near you, visit the Get Online Week website.
Key Takeaways
  • Services Australia has announced the discontinuation of accepting foreign currency cheques and money orders for Centrelink debt repayments from 19 December onwards.
  • Centrelink is gradually moving towards more digital payment methods and has alerted pensioners through the Australian Pension News.
  • The Australian Government plans to phase out the issuance of commercial and government cheques by 2026 and cease all cheque acceptance by 2028, with a complete closure of the cheque system by 2030.
  • In response to the decline in cheque and cash usage, there is an ongoing effort to increase the digital literacy of Australians, especially within ageing and remote communities, to ensure continued access to essential services and connections.
What do you think about moving from cheque payments to digital ones for older Australians? What should the government do to help everyone adjust? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is why scams happen we were driven away from cash and cheques and the idiots in government and banks didn't do the testing of credit cards or eftpos cards or on line payments and deposits to make sure it would be secure and now we the customers pay for it

Reactions: PirateLass
Seriously, given the number of "outages" both currently ( Westpac) and recently (Worldwide) Services Australia should have the option of whether they wish to opt in to digital payments.
Being forced into such a system likely dies not suit older people. Why should they be Forced into a digital system? To do so appears to disregard the facts!
It is only necessary to view the exponential increase in online bank account hacks during " Covid" to conclude that digital payments are not a secure strategy.

People in remote areas may only have important social interaction, when ntal and isolation , forced by digital payments is worse for health than smoking!
The proposal is high-handed in the extreme, placing society's most vulnerable at risk and doubtless benefiting Banksters.

Last edited:
Seriously, given the number of "outages" both currently ( Westpac) and recently (Worldwide) Services Australia should have the option of whether they wish to opt in to digital payments.
Being forced into such a system likely dies not suit older people. Why should they be Forced into a digital system? To do so appears to disregard the facts!
It is only necessary to view the exponential increase in online bank account hacks during " Covid" to conclude that digital payments are not a secure strategy.

People in remote areas may only have important social interaction, when ntal and isolation , forced by digital payments is worse for health than smoking!
The proposal is high-handed in the extreme, placing society's most vulnerable at risk and doubtless benefiting Banksters.
* social interaction when visiting a bank branch ( heaven knows there are few) or local store that will help.

Hello it's me OLD FART!!
Yet to be scammed or any other fraud.
And the problem with cheques is ??
My wife and I use them all the time and have yet to be scammed
not bad since 1976. 1st house, Then I bought 2nd house in 1995 and 2 investment properties in 2010.
Guess what all was paid by CHEQUE.....
Yep I'm an old fossil-type dinosaur WHO HAS NEVER BEEN SCAMMED'
Not bad for some old bloke who is still living and "believe it or not" still breathing....
CHEQUES RULE. I would like to see a cheque scam that the bank pays..
Please show me so I can be educated🎓🎓
It's jus another excuse for the banks to do what they want, probably a lot more scams happening with digital payment methods than there are with cheques, but no one wants us to know about these! Govts always have an agenda & wont listen to us when they're pushing these agendas

I would expect only for locals.

As a resident of Perth, The Woolshed at Williams wouldn't cash my cheques but probably those of a long term resident.
Hi there, Veggie,
Just out of curiosity, how many states, cities & subs., have you resided in ? You could say that you remind me of "Lucky Stars" hit, "I've Been Everywhere" !

Some of this article causes me to have great concern for the future, the part where first nations people are first and older generation are second,; it is the older generation that have kept things moving while others have just been the receiving group. sad to see an ambassador been appointed to represent this group, at some $350.00.00 in first year costs i can see the 40 billion ayear going up to some ridiculous figure; wake up to the needs of the older generation :( we are fast causing bigger split in our country

Hi there, Veggie,
Just out of curiosity, how many states, cities & subs., have you resided in ? You could say that you remind me of "Lucky Stars" hit, "I've Been Everywhere" !
Born in Sydney and lived there for 28 years, the next 18 years on the NSW South Coast, nine years in Bundaberg, QLD, the next nine years in Rowville/Dandenong, VIC and the last six months in Perth.

The only state or territory I've never been to is NT.

Funny you say the song "I've Been Everywhere". Last year, I had a funny little game in SDC with the same theme.