Dietitian shares differences between Sydney and Adelaide living - do you agree?

If you've ever lived in more than one city, you know that there can be some pretty big culture shocks when it comes to the day-to-day grind. Even if those cities are within the same country!

For example, moving from a small town to a big city (or vice versa) can introduce you to all sorts of new challenges, from different public transport systems to wacky new slang. It really is like living in a whole other world!

This was certainly the case for Grace Field, a dietitian who recently moved from Sydney to Adelaide.

In a video she posted on the content-sharing platform TikTok, she highlights some of the differences between Australia's two capital cities – and boy, did she have lots to say!

First off her list, Grace said she was surprised to find out there were no 7/11s or Mad Mex’s in Adelaide.

She said: 'In the town that I just came from in Sydney there were three 7/11s within five kilometres of each other and two Mad Mex's in the same area. For there to be none here? Weird.’

Next, Grace also discovered that stores in general around Adelaide open and close differently compared to Sydney.

aerial-city-adelaide.jpg
The South Australian City of Adelaide was the subject of Grace Field’s TikTok post. Credit: cityofadelaide.com.au

Much to her dismay, she found out that Adelaide Kmart’s closed at 5 pm.

'I tried to go to Kmart at like 9.30 pm the first week I moved here. Closed. I didn't even try looking it up because I just thought that was a universal thing they were open 24/7. Not here,' she said.

'I don't just mean small boutique places, I mean like Westfield. Woolworths don't open until 11… on Sundays, and most things aren’t open at all.'

Grace also took aim at Adelaide’s musical festivals — something popular among the youth — and called them ‘ALDI versions’ of Sydney’s.

'In Sydney, we have a major festival called Listen Out and Field Day. Here we have those, but the ALDI version. Instead of Listen Out, we have Listen In, and instead of Field Day we have Field Trip,' she joked.

Lastly, Grace described Adelaide as a ‘major country town’ where ‘everything is back in time’, referring to how even locals call the city’s central business district (CBD) a ‘town’ and the city’s use of paper train tickets.

'In Sydney, I just tapped my phone to get on the train. Here, I buy a little paper ticket, very old school. It's cute,’ she said.

Now, you’re probably thinking: if Grace hates it so much in Adelaide, why doesn’t she move back to Sydney?

Well, that’s because she doesn’t!

Explaining further, she clarified that she really loves living in Adelaide. She only thought there were some ‘funny’ differences it had with her old home.

Of course, people had their thoughts on Grace’s post.

‘This has me laughing so hard, as if (Adelaide’s) a backward country town.’ a user wrote jokingly.

Another added: ‘Why would you want to move to Adelaide?’

Source: TikTok/@gracefield.dietitian

Naturally, some locals came to clarify a few bits. Apparently, in Adelaide, ‘town’ and ‘city’ refer to two different activities, but both relate to Adelaide’s CBD.

One user explained: ‘Town and city are different if you’re going to the “city” you’re going shopping et cetera if you’re going to “town” you’re going clubbing et cetera.’

Another came to defend the city’s different schedule: ‘A lot of this is because Adelaide has always enjoyed a work-life balance.’

And lastly, others pointed out that the city doesn’t need 7/11s when it already has OTR (On The Run) convenience stores.

The reactions also prompted Grace to make a follow-up video to appease those offended by her earlier post.

‘For some reason, I really annoyed a bunch of people,’ she began in her follow-up video.

‘I was literally just stating some random facts I learned about Adelaide…’

Taking on an apologetic and placating tone, Grace then listed things she appreciated about Adelaide, like the lack of traffic, cheap rent compared to Sydney, the wide selection of food items local store Foodland presents, and the unique opening and closing schedules of establishments that is ‘pro-worker’ and ‘forces’ people to relax and explore the great outdoors.

Key Takeaways

• Dietitian Grace Fields took to content-sharing platform TIkTok to share her observations on the differences between Adelaide and Sydney.
  • Among the things she took note of are the different closing times of establishments, the lack of 711s, and toned-down music festivals.
  • After her TikTok post irritated some users, she uploaded another one clarifying she had no bad blood with Adelaide and listing down things she loved about the city.
Grace’s story isn’t the first we’ve featured of Aussies relocating elsewhere in search of greener pastures. If you have time, please check out this woman who sought out life in the outback, away from the urban buzz of Sydney. (Why is it always Sydney? Kidding!)

So, what is your reaction to Grace’s list of culture shocks in Adelaide? Do you agree with her? Or maybe you have a similar tale of finding a happy life after moving to a different place?

By all means, please share your stories with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Well this being a "Seniors" site. Most of us would concur with shops limiting their opening times. It's what we live lived with in the past and still lived well.. "Marketing " is ruling the lives of younger people. Technology is suppose to be making life easier, but in fact it's making a lot of things a lot more challenging and busier. The world is getting unhealthier in general terms. So anything to get back social time and less shopping. I say bring it on. Well done Adelaide.

After migrating to Australia in 1958 over the years my late wife and I visited every main city, living in Adelaide we found that the main big cities were overcrowded and in some cases awkward to find your way around, so I bless the transfer that my firm in Melbourne to Adelaide was the second best move I made, the first best was when I brought my family to Australia, happy days to all our members wherever you live. Dennis R,

Unfortunately for shop workers to state government have just changed the rules so shops will be opening earlier on sundays - there goes the sleep ins for shop workers. Personally, I am happy for eastern staters to bag Adelaide as much as they like because I LOVE it the way it is and can’t imagine living anywhere else in the world. My partner travelled the world with the Royal Navy in the 70s and early 80s, and chose to move to Adelaide from Hull England in his 20s as it was the friendliest and best place he had been. He has not regretted his decision once in the last 40 years … helped of course by spending the last 18 years with me 🤣🤣

If you've ever lived in more than one city, you know that there can be some pretty big culture shocks when it comes to the day-to-day grind. Even if those cities are within the same country!

For example, moving from a small town to a big city (or vice versa) can introduce you to all sorts of new challenges, from different public transport systems to wacky new slang. It really is like living in a whole other world!

This was certainly the case for Grace Field, a dietitian who recently moved from Sydney to Adelaide.

In a video she posted on the content-sharing platform TikTok, she highlights some of the differences between Australia's two capital cities – and boy, did she have lots to say!

First off her list, Grace said she was surprised to find out there were no 7/11s or Mad Mex’s in Adelaide.

She said: 'In the town that I just came from in Sydney there were three 7/11s within five kilometres of each other and two Mad Mex's in the same area. For there to be none here? Weird.’

Next, Grace also discovered that stores in general around Adelaide open and close differently compared to Sydney.

View attachment 7855
The South Australian City of Adelaide was the subject of Grace Field’s TikTok post. Credit: cityofadelaide.com.au

'I tried to go to Kmart at like 9.30 pm the first week I moved here. Closed. I didn't even try looking it up because I just thought that was a universal thing they were open 24/7. Not here,' she said.

'I don't just mean small boutique places, I mean like Westfield. Woolworths don't open until 11… on Sundays, and most things aren’t open at all.'

Grace also took aim at Adelaide’s musical festivals — something popular among the youth — and called them ‘ALDI versions’ of Sydney’s.

'In Sydney, we have a major festival called Listen Out and Field Day. Here we have those, but the ALDI version. Instead of Listen Out, we have Listen In, and instead of Field Day we have Field Trip,' she joked.

Lastly, Grace described Adelaide as a ‘major country town’ where ‘everything is back in time’, referring to how even locals call the city’s central business district (CBD) a ‘town’ and the city’s use of paper train tickets.

'In Sydney, I just tapped my phone to get on the train. Here, I buy a little paper ticket, very old school. It's cute,’ she said.

Now, you’re probably thinking: if Grace hates it so much in Adelaide, why doesn’t she move back to Sydney?

Explaining further, she clarified that she really loves living in Adelaide. She only thought there were some ‘funny’ differences it had with her old home.

‘This has me laughing so hard, as if (Adelaide’s) a backward country town.’ a user wrote jokingly.

Naturally, some locals came to clarify a few bits. Apparently, in Adelaide, ‘town’ and ‘city’ refer to two different activities, but both relate to Adelaide’s CBD.

One user explained: ‘Town and city are different if you’re going to the “city” you’re going shopping et cetera if you’re going to “town” you’re going clubbing et cetera.’

Another came to defend the city’s different schedule: ‘A lot of this is because Adelaide has always enjoyed a work-life balance.’

And lastly, others pointed out that the city doesn’t need 7/11s when it already has OTR (On The Run) convenience stores.

The reactions also prompted Grace to make a follow-up video to appease those offended by her earlier post.

‘For some reason, I really annoyed a bunch of people,’ she began in her follow-up video.

Taking on an apologetic and placating tone, Grace then listed things she appreciated about Adelaide, like the lack of traffic, cheap rent compared to Sydney, the wide selection of food items local store Foodland presents, and the unique opening and closing schedules of establishments that is ‘pro-worker’ and ‘forces’ people to relax and explore the great outdoors.

Key Takeaways

• Dietitian Grace Fields took to content-sharing platform TIkTok to share her observations on the differences between Adelaide and Sydney.
  • Among the things she took note of are the different closing times of establishments, the lack of 711s, and toned-down music festivals.
  • After her TikTok post irritated some users, she uploaded another one clarifying she had no bad blood with Adelaide and listing down things she loved about the city.
Grace’s story isn’t the first we’ve featured of Aussies relocating elsewhere in search of greener pastures. If you have time, please check out this woman who sought out life in the outback, away from the urban buzz of Sydney. (Why is it always Sydney? Kidding!)

So, what is your reaction to Grace’s list of culture shocks in Adelaide? Do you agree with her? Or maybe you have a similar tale of finding a happy life after moving to a different place?

Maybe you could have a look around for a furniture shop because the room you’re looks rather baron.

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 7855

Key Takeaways

These so-called "influences" have way too much air time and exposure. Like their opinion matters to the world in general. We all have opinions, but we choose not to share them with the world, because we have some dignity and self-restraint...and we don't need approval from anyone or everyone....and get paid undeserved money for our pathetic shares.

By the way, I thought that Adelaide was behind the times as well, on my many visits. But the culture and relatively intimate environment made up for it.

I have lived in the heart of Sydney after coming from NZ. It was quite a shock and took a few weeks to get use to the traffic and noise. I loved my time in Sydney all the same once I was used to it. Lived in London for a couple of years and found that even though I earned above the average wage couldn't get ahead. then I came to Adelaide. over 40 years later still here. Love the place, can get to the beach in minutes, hills in minutes. If you like the CBD you can get there easily. Like a little wine then there are all the wineries. What's there not to like about Adelaide, good climate and everything you could want.

There was a time before the expo when people used to say Brisbane was locked in past. Sometimes I wish it still was. But NO, now it is like Melbourne all trendy eating places & such.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Just back from a visit to Sydney. I commented on the way home, “ It was go to go but I would never live there. The traffic would drive me crazy.” Adelaide for me always.

Got back from Brisbane last night and it looks so much bigger than Adelaide. Couldn't believe the number of high rise buildings everywhere. Certainly is a lovely city but a bit hillier than Adelaide.....we are flat here.

Hard to compare other cities with each other though as they all have their own unique charactistics.

BTW KMart, Target & Big W in Adelaide close at 9pm every night except on weekends. Don't know where she got that idea. Dont have many 7/11's (7)...more IGA's and no Mad Mex .... so what!

Beauty is you can get to Southern wine region (McLaren Vale) in 30 mins....Barossa in 1 hour....Clare Valley 90 minutes....Adelaide Hills in 30 minutes.

And what's more....NO TOLLS!!! And never will be ... so what's not to LOVE!!

View attachment 7855

Key Takeaways

I was born in London and my parents became ten pound poms! every summer I curse them for that! I don't hate Aus. but I don't particularly like it either