Dietitian reveals the top supermarket choices and her ultimate favourites!

Gone are the days when bread was merely a staple, a simple white loaf to accompany every meal. Today, the bread aisle in supermarkets is a labyrinth of choices, with labels boasting grain, seed, protein, low-carb, high-fibre, low-GI, gluten-free, low-FODMAP, rye, and sourdough options.

It's enough to make anyone's head spin, especially for those of us who grew up when bread choices were straightforward.

Dietician Susie Burrell shared her rankings for the top supermarket breads today based on their nutritional factors.

Despite the variety, it's interesting to note that in Australia, white bread still tops the sales charts.

This preference indicates a gap between the breads we're drawn to and the ones that are better for our health.

As we age, making informed choices about our diet becomes increasingly important, and bread is no exception.

compressed-shutterstock_1483699055.jpeg
Sarah Burrell ranked 8 popular supermarket breads and revealed her favourites. Credits: Shutterstock

The nutritional high-flyers

When it comes to bread, not all slices are created equal.

The best options from a nutritional standpoint are dense grain breads with a wholemeal flour base.

These breads are not just a source of complex carbohydrates; they're packed with dietary fibre, vitamins B and E, and essential micronutrients.

The whole grains contribute to a lower glycaemic index (GI), which means they help maintain stable blood glucose levels, an essential factor in preventing diabetes and managing weight.

Understanding glycaemic control

Bread is a staple in many diets, often consumed daily.

The GI of bread plays a crucial role in our health because it affects blood glucose control.

High-GI loaves, such as white bread and some wholemeal varieties, can spike blood sugar levels, which is particularly concerning for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes.

In contrast, dense grain-based breads with a lower GI are more conducive to maintaining a healthy blood sugar balance.

Choosing the right slice

For whole grain enthusiasts, the ideal choice is a small, wholegrain bread that provides 20-30g of carbs per two slices. If you prefer denser bread, you might only need one slice to feel satisfied.

For those who can't or don't want to eat grains, wholemeal or rye bread is the next best option.

Even if you're a die-hard white bread fan, it's worth considering a switch to wholegrain for its health benefits.

Be cautious with supermarket sourdough, as it may not offer the same benefits as artisanal loaves, particularly if made with white flour.

The dietitian's picks

Let's break down Sarah Burrell's rankings and see which loaves come out on top:

1. Wonder Wholemeal Sandwich with Iron: A great alternative for those who can't tolerate grain-based bread, offering the benefits of whole grains without the grains themselves.

2. Tip Top The One Soft Wholemeal Sandwich: A solid choice nutritionally, this bread could improve the digestive health of Australians if it replaced high-fibre white breads.

3. Helga’s Traditional Wholemeal: This bread meets the daily recommended wholegrain intake for adults in just two slices, though its larger size means a higher carbohydrate and calorie count.

4. Helga’s Mixed Grain: With a 17% mixed-grain base, this bread aids in blood glucose control, though it has a larger slice size and lower overall grain content.

5. Abbott’s Bakery Light Rye: Lighter than some rye options, this bread is suitable for those with sensitive stomachs, though it has a higher carbohydrate content and less dietary fibre.

6. Wonder White Sandwich Vitamins and Minerals: Enriched with dietary fibre and essential nutrients, this bread is still outshone by its wholemeal counterpart.

7. Tip Top The One Soft White Sandwich: This white bread has an improved nutritional profile with added dietary fibre, but it can't compete with wholegrain sources.

8. Coles White Sandwich Loaf: Budget-friendly but nutritionally lacking, this plain white loaf is high GI and low in dietary fibre.

Sarah Burrell also listed her favourite loaves of bread.

Burgen Soy-Lin: Formulated with women's nutritional needs in mind, this bread is perfect for weight control and provides a good source of omega-3s.

Bakers Delight Cape Seed Loaf: Packed with seeds and wholemeal flour, this loaf is high in dietary fibre, protein, and healthy fats.

Helga’s 50% Lower Carb 5 Seeds: Ideal for those managing their weight or blood sugar, this loaf is high in dietary fibre and low in carbs.

Tip Top 9 Grain Wholemeal Sandwich: A well-rounded bread that's soft enough for sandwiches and high in whole grains.

Wonder White Smooth Wholegrain: A good option when grains aren't suitable, this loaf still offers a decent wholegrain content and dietary fibre.

Coles Bakery High Fibre Low GI 7 Seeds and Grains: One of the best options nutritionally and price-wise, this bread is high in dietary fibre and seeds.

In the quest for healthier eating habits, understanding the nutritional content of staple foods like bread is crucial.

Sarah Burrell’s analysis shed light on the varying nutritional profiles of supermarket bread, offering valuable insights into making informed dietary choices.

As we delve into the nuances of bread selection, it's also essential to consider broader dietary concepts, such as the significance of carbohydrates and their impact on overall health.

By exploring the distinction between ‘naked carbs’ and ‘net carbs’, we can gain a deeper understanding of how different types of carbohydrates affect our bodies.

Let's unravel the complexities of carbohydrate consumption and its implications for dietary planning.
Key Takeaways
  • The highest nutritional quality breads are dense grain breads based on wholemeal flour, offering numerous health benefits including improved blood glucose control.
  • Wholegrain and dense grain-based options are superior choices over more processed white bread, even those labelled as low-GI, due to their lower glycaemic load.
  • Sarah Burrell ranked the top 8 supermarket bread and shared some of her favourites.
  • Bread choices like wholemeal, grain-based, lower carb, and rye are recommended over plain white bread for better dietary fibre intake, micronutrient availability, and overall health.
  • Speciality breads such as Burgen Soy-Lin, Bakers Delight Cape Seed Loaf, and Coles Bakery High Fibre Low GI 7 Seeds and Grains are highlighted for their specific health benefits, including high dietary fibre, protein, and omega-3 fatty acid content.
What are your go-to bread choices, and how do you incorporate them into a healthy diet? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I really like Aldi's Dark Rye bread. Makes lovely toast. Because I have bouts of diverticulitis I avoid seeded bread.

I can't remember when I bought supermarket bread last. Don't buy bread. Some sour dough rolls for hubby but not for me. Helgas now has cricket flour in them so they are definitely off my menu. Don't do much in grains as all these days. Too hard on the body

OMG, I hate it when people tell me what to eat, what 'Politically Correct' thing to espouse, they try to tell you everything that 'they' think is good for you. It comes down to my view which is: Eat some Veg and Fruit every day, a bit of Chicken, Pasta, even dessert, drink water, have the cup of tea or coffee you want, walk to keep you mobile, join an activity, 'tai-chi' for instance, it's very calming. Really for me that's how it's done, I'm 77 years old and feeling pretty good, so listen to yourself, do these things and you will be as well.

I stick with my baker Unfortunately due to health issues I can no longer eat fresh bread unless toasted which is a waste? got to at least a day old and toasted. Gone are the days of fresh bread straight out of the oven with butter fantastic, of course not forgetting the Bi-Carb afterwards.

I have tried several small loaves, but I now buy Coles own brand small 7 seed loaf - it is delicious, nutritious and VERY competitively priced at $2.70 for a small loaf. They also do a larger one at I believe about $3.70. Very good value and really tasty and crunchy.

ALDI has LO-CARB BREAD $3.30 loaf.
Plastic has pale teal colour bands.
It is THE most delicious, utterly scrumptious, “to die for” white bread we’ve come across for years.
It tastes like, smells like, is just like the way REAL bread used to taste years ago!
Love the ADLI LO-CARB BREAD.
Ultra YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!