In a few weeks time my wife and l celebrate our Golden anniversary. Looking back l can't help wonder where all those years went. Age has not wearied us. Only our bodies cant keep up.

I remember as a school kid, that I sat on the floor and watched the Hubble space telescope on the television with my family, as it left earth on its journey into the stars. We all saw as its cameras were turned around, to watch our earth getting smaller and smaller, till it was about a tenth of the size of our television screen.

I watched like everyone else, that evening did, as a strange, little white dot came into view from the left of the screen, and not long after as the Earth reduced in size, a little white dot appeared on the far right of the screen travelling upwards heading beside our planet. It was absolutely fascinating to watch this happening.

We had three things going on, our planet was seen reducing in size, and something else was happening outside of our world in deep space.

I screamed out WOW look at that just like my sisters did we all pointed to the television excitedly, as a long white line spurted from the white dot on the left and headed across our planet, towards the white dot on the right. And just when we thought that it would hit it, the one on the right, accelerated away really fast in a burst, heading up above Earth and whatever it was passed away beneath it.

Our loungeroom erupted at what our family had just seen. Then the television suddenly showed a test pattern and then a sign that said "We are experiencing programming difficulties and shall resume normal viewing shortly" came on.

The Hubble pictures never came on again. My mother was frightened, but I couldn't sleep, it was so exciting. Next morning in the Western Australian newspapers in the largest type of font I have ever seen in a newspaper, printed in Black on a completely white background, it read WAR IN SPACE. Applecross senior high school and every Neighbour, talked about nothing else, for days.

It was never mentioned on the nightly news, never again mentioned in the paper or ever discussed at all in the media. Let me know if you're a Western Australian and saw that.

Felix the cat was the very first thing I ever saw on television, and later on we switched over to colour, in the middle of the Mavis Bramston show.

Them's three historical, and at the time, quite hysterical facts ...

John Lennon died in 1980, which is now 43 years ago, not 39. You need to add 4 years to all of the dates listed.