Did you know this little-known fact about KitKat bars?

When it comes to chocolate treats, we here at the SDC unanimously rank KitKats among our favourites.

The popular bar, which comes in a unique four-finger block you can snap and share (or not – we won't judge!), is famously made up of Nestlé chocolate and wafer.

It's easy to see why people adore these chocolate blocks; not only do they taste great, but the manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure that the ingredients are always top quality.

But did you know that this ever-popular favourite has a little more to it than meets the eye?

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 9.23.40 AM.png
A little-known fact about KitKats has left people on the internet confused. Credit: news.com.au.

The Nestlé facility in York, northern England, was filmed for an episode of the BBC's Inside the Factory series, which showed the process of making KitKats.

A worker is seen on camera removing broken bars from a box of KitKats and tossing them into a large blue bucket; the host, and the viewers at home, are left wondering what use the bucket serves and what becomes of the 'discarded' KitKats.

To the surprise of many (us included!), the employee replied by saying that these broken and damaged chocolate bars would be reworked and used as 'fillings' for the wafer.

You read that right, folks! Apparently, KitKat bars are made from hundreds of other chocolate bars that didn't quite make the cut.

This piece of information was confirmed by Nestlé Australia's Head of Marketing, Joyce Tan, and she went on to explain how these bits of chocolate and wafer are combined with additional ingredients to make the delightful praline that is sandwiched between the wafers in KitKat bars.

'It's both scrumptious and eliminates the waste during KitKat production,' she added.

Credit: Max Klymenko.

We're not sure about you folks, but here at the SDC, we're left scratching our heads after learning this piece of information. Well, we're not the only ones, according to a little digging we've done on the internet.

Dozens of people commented on a YouTube video saying they had never heard of this KitKat 'paradox', and they had always thought KitKat wafers were filled with chocolate and hazelnut.

'So then… what was the original KitKat bar made of?' one user wrote, with another adding: 'I'm now in an infinite loop trying to figure out what came first.'

A third user continued: 'It's just a loop of KitKats that never ends.'

Meanwhile, others didn't really mind. 'To be honest, I'm not complaining. More KitKats means more happiness towards me,' added a fourth.
Key Takeaways

• Officials from Nestle have confirmed that KitKat bars do, in fact, have a filling made from crushed-up KitKat bars.
  • Social media users have reacted to this news with both confusion and amazement.

We're pretty sure this is not the only thing about the much-loved KitKat that many people were unaware of… but that's probably a topic for another conversation!

Are there other little-known facts about this chocolate treat (or other brands of Aussie-favourite snacks) that you know? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Who eats more chocolate male or female?

Women

A little bit of chocolate trivia which I found out through Trivia nights

Women have been reported to have more cravings for chocolate (71)and are more likely to choose chocolate as a “comfort food” compared to men [29]. In this study, females were found to be significantly more likely to consume dark chocolate and in smaller servings, preferring milk chocolate.

Napoleon loved Chocolate​

It is said that Napoleon was known to carry chocolate with him on military campaigns for an energy boost.

Marie Antoinette loved hot chocolate (the modern kind).​

She didn’t just love cake; she also loved chocolate, and hot chocolate was frequently served at the Palace of Versailles.

My weakness is Milk Chocolate

Well.....I noticed my bar did NOT have the wording Kit Kat across each bar. It was enjoyed anyway, but hey, would that have been a perfect reject??