Did you know this Costco membership rule? A shopper shares their awkward experience!

If you’ve ever been to Costco, you’ll know it’s a dreamland for shoppers who value quantity at a discounted price.

But as you’re about to find out, shopping at this up-and-coming retail giant isn’t all smooth sailing.

‘A little bit awkward’ at best as one shopper found out, and a complete disaster at worst if you're not mindful of certain rules.

Just ask Jo and her boyfriend Shamus, whose love of food and the thrill of unearthing a meticulous bargain led to their first Costco expedition as a couple.

For them, grocery shopping wasn’t just about the food, it was a tradition–a date of sorts–adorning a central part in their relationship.

20230829_123916_0000.png
Jo Abi and boyfriend, Shamus, visited Costco and had an ‘awkward’ experience. Image source: 9Honey / Jo Abi.

Their regular Saturday shopping itinerary kicked off at ALDI, followed by a trip to either Coles or Woolworths—depending on which supermarket featured the most tempting specials—a quick visit to the local fruit market, and then a short journey back home. A visit to Costco, however, required a bit more planning.

Once they arrived at Costco, early in the afternoon, they were greeted by the chaotic car park and the lack of shopping carts.

As Jo navigated past the battery, clothes, and massive sacks of rice, they found themselves in the fresh produce section. In a matter of a few minutes, three items found their way into her mental shopping cart as they realized they didn’t have one.

Shamus ran to look for a cart that needed a $2 coin they found at the bottom of Jo’s bag.

While waiting for Shamus’s return, she thought of adding cinnamon buns and pre-packaged wraps and salads but brought her focus back on staples like eggs and potatoes.

Those who shop at Costco would know the gigantic size of their shopping carts–and Shamus and Jo’s were quickly filled.

They also added a rug to their haul that they thought would do a valiant job of camouflaging the carpet stains of their son’s room.

Jo had also just renewed her membership for $65 that day.

Upon arriving at the checkout, Shamus had some last-minute items he wanted to buy and ran off. He made it back in time and they decided to separate their items so they could pay for their own purchases.

In a twist of fate, they realised at the checkout that their understanding of Costco’s membership rule left a lot to be desired.

It all started when they heard a mother and daughter being told they couldn’t share a membership card because they lived in different locations, as per their driver's licenses.

Jo assumed that being a couple gave them a pass. But they, too, were told, in no uncertain terms, that their agreement to pay for their own purchases was not permitted. The only resolution was for her to pay for everything and for Shamus to pay her back later, or for Shamus to cough up for his own $65 membership.

Jo ended up paying for it all, and Shamus paid her back by filling up her car with petrol.

She said the entire thing was awkward as they were unable to keep their promise to pay for their own purchases.

‘I didn't remember Costco membership rules being this strict, but it seems they have changed since the discount retailer launched in Australia in 2009,’ Jo said.

Despite the mishap, the couple still believes that it is still worth scheduling a bimonthly or monthly trip to Costco to stock up on bulk purchases and avail of their bargains––provided you have a plan of action in place.

Jo’s experience—and a glance at Costco’s website, she said—led her to come up with the following realisations:

1. Daughters are not allowed to use their mother's membership cards;

2. Boyfriends are not allowed to use their girlfriend's membership cards;

3. A primary cardholder's spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address is entitled to a free household card;

4. You are allowed to bring up to two guests in the warehouse each time you shop. However, only the Costco member is allowed to purchase items;

5. All receipts and merchandise will be inspected before leaving the warehouse, this is to ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased;

6. Pets are not allowed in Costco stores.

Key Takeaways
  • A couple's trip to Costco was met with confusion over the membership rules.
  • Rules dictate that membership cards cannot be shared between family members or couples who don't live at the same address.
  • Only the primary cardholder's spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address is eligible for a free household card.
  • Despite the strict rules, they still find Costco to be worth its membership due to the bulk purchases and bargains but suggest shoppers arrive with a plan and a list of needed items.
So, on your next run to Costco, don’t forget to bring a valid membership, keep a $2 coin handy–and remember, always stick to your shopping list!

How often do you frequent Costco? Did you know about these rules? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you live outside the big cities you don't have the option to buy at Costco. However, having said that, there is no way I would pay $65 for the privilege (?) of shopping there. That's money I could have used to buy food or clothes & it was just given away to a big food store.

If you live outside the big cities you don't have the option to buy at Costco. However, having said that, there is no way I would pay $65 for the privilege (?) of shopping there. That's money I could have used to buy food or clothes & it was just given away to a big food store.
I have been to Costco shopping with my daughter. Had no problem as l was my daughter’s guest. Now she has moved to Queensland l don’t go but l have a friend who goes with her friend and the only thing l get her to get is hearing aid batteries as they are so much cheaper for a lot more. No l don’t have a health care card. I would not pay $65 to become a member as it’s not worth it for me as l would have to travel to Melbourne.

I don't see what the problem is and why she is moaning ... you know the rules when you sign up for a Costco membership and the condition of the member being the only one allowed to pay is clearly stated. As is the one about only people living in the same household being allowed to get the additional card. Someone just wants her 15 minutes of fame, I think.

I have saved a minimum of more than three times my membership fees EVERY year I have been a member.

My daughter and granddaughter are both members of Costco. They have both bought me groceries that I needed. I don’t think their rules are too strict. $7 for a barbecue chicken is cheap and they are bigger than Coles and Woolworths. They don’t have seasoned stuffing which is good for me because I can’t have anything with gluten. When my husband was alive i bought him a 2kg container of Skippy peanut butter and it was only $9.99. It is worth the $65 membership fee in my opinion.

I don't see what the problem is and why she is moaning ... you know the rules when you sign up for a Costco membership and the condition of the member being the only one allowed to pay is clearly stated. As is the one about only people living in the same household being allowed to get the additional card. Someone just wants her 15 minutes of fame, I think.
I'd say, as an educated guess, that less than 1% of consumers actually read the terms and conditions of a business they are dealing with.

Same goes for appliance operating manuals.

My partner and I live different addresses and in different cities, but we have worked out to make Costco work for us.

We don't buy much there since most of their goods are overpriced, especially in the fresh food section. So it is simple to divide our purchases into his, mine and occasionally his daughters. I give him my credit card to pay for my purchases and he uses his for his own purchases.

If there was an issue about accepting two different credit cards in two different names - keeping in mind that it is not uncommon for families and couples living at the same address to have different names, either one of us would pay for the lot and then transfer the cost for their purchases into their partner's account. Too easy!

The main reason I keep my Costco card is because of fuel. When one is travelling around 500 km each week, the savings on fuel more than cover the cost of the membership.

I do not need a coin to use a Costco trolley, but if I did, I imagine that my Aldi token would work since it is the size of a $2 coin.

I went to Costco with my brother who had a membership and wasn't allowed to buy my goods. Thank heavens I have a caring brother who paid and I repaid straight into his bank account. Now he goes there just for some things like bigger items of butter and peanut butter (yes it is American) but I have gotten used to the taste for the convenience of saving quite a bit of money. I am afraid I wouldn't take out a membership for what I could buy.

Been a member for a couple of years now and when we joined we were given a leaflet with all the do’s and donuts so it’s out there from the start. We go at least twice a month and we fill up with fuel and after 3 fills we have made back the joining fee with what we save, our store you don’t need a coin for the trolley, you need to know your prices, we buy roast chickens for $7 which makes Woolies and coles ones look like wee babies, and of course you can’t take dogs in there as there is food everywhere, you don’t see the big supermarkets allow you to take dogs in, and yep they check your trolley on the way out but so does Kmart and bunnings but they actually scan your receipt and I like to buy in bulk, and save some money whilst doing so and also still being able to support Aussie company’s as a lot of Costco items are sourced here in Australia

"of course you can’t take dogs in there as there is food everywhere"

But you can take your cat into Bundaberg IGA. Took puss with my after picking her up from the vet across the road after desexing. A shop assistant said she can't be in the store to which I promptly replied "It's my seeing eye cat". She replied with an "Oh" and walked off.

Silly woman!

If you’ve ever been to Costco, you’ll know it’s a dreamland for shoppers who value quantity at a discounted price.

But as you’re about to find out, shopping at this up-and-coming retail giant isn’t all smooth sailing.

‘A little bit awkward’ at best as one shopper found out, and a complete disaster at worst if you're not mindful of certain rules.

Just ask Jo and her boyfriend Shamus, whose love of food and the thrill of unearthing a meticulous bargain led to their first Costco expedition as a couple.

For them, grocery shopping wasn’t just about the food, it was a tradition–a date of sorts–adorning a central part in their relationship.

View attachment 28568
Jo Abi and boyfriend, Shamus, visited Costco and had an ‘awkward’ experience. Image source: 9Honey / Jo Abi.

Their regular Saturday shopping itinerary kicked off at ALDI, followed by a trip to either Coles or Woolworths—depending on which supermarket featured the most tempting specials—a quick visit to the local fruit market, and then a short journey back home. A visit to Costco, however, required a bit more planning.

Once they arrived at Costco, early in the afternoon, they were greeted by the chaotic car park and the lack of shopping carts.

As Jo navigated past the battery, clothes, and massive sacks of rice, they found themselves in the fresh produce section. In a matter of a few minutes, three items found their way into her mental shopping cart as they realized they didn’t have one.

Shamus ran to look for a cart that needed a $2 coin they found at the bottom of Jo’s bag.

While waiting for Shamus’s return, she thought of adding cinnamon buns and pre-packaged wraps and salads but brought her focus back on staples like eggs and potatoes.

Those who shop at Costco would know the gigantic size of their shopping carts–and Shamus and Jo’s were quickly filled.

They also added a rug to their haul that they thought would do a valiant job of camouflaging the carpet stains of their son’s room.

Upon arriving at the checkout, Shamus had some last-minute items he wanted to buy and ran off. He made it back in time and they decided to separate their items so they could pay for their own purchases.

In a twist of fate, they realised at the checkout that their understanding of Costco’s membership rule left a lot to be desired.

It all started when they heard a mother and daughter being told they couldn’t share a membership card because they lived in different locations, as per their driver's licenses.

Jo assumed that being a couple gave them a pass. But they, too, were told, in no uncertain terms, that their agreement to pay for their own purchases was not permitted. The only resolution was for her to pay for everything and for Shamus to pay her back later, or for Shamus to cough up for his own $65 membership.

Jo ended up paying for it all, and Shamus paid her back by filling up her car with petrol.

She said the entire thing was awkward as they were unable to keep their promise to pay for their own purchases.

‘I didn't remember Costco membership rules being this strict, but it seems they have changed since the discount retailer launched in Australia in 2009,’ Jo said.

Despite the mishap, the couple still believes that it is still worth scheduling a bimonthly or monthly trip to Costco to stock up on bulk purchases and avail of their bargains––provided you have a plan of action in place.

Jo’s experience—and a glance at Costco’s website, she said—led her to come up with the following realisations:

3. A primary cardholder's spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address is entitled to a free household card;

4. You are allowed to bring up to two guests in the warehouse each time you shop. However, only the Costco member is allowed to purchase items;

5. All receipts and merchandise will be inspected before leaving the warehouse, this is to ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased;

Key Takeaways

• Rules dictate that membership cards cannot be shared between family members or couples who don't live at the same address.
  • Only the primary cardholder's spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address is eligible for a free household card.
  • Despite the strict rules, they still find Costco to be worth its membership due to the bulk purchases and bargains but suggest shoppers arrive with a plan and a list of needed items.
So, on your next run to Costco, don’t forget to bring a valid membership, keep a $2 coin handy–and remember, always stick to your shopping list!

How often do you frequent Costco? Did you know about these rules? Let us know in the comments below!
One of the main reasons I will NEVER shop at COSTCO. As far as Im concerned the rule about sharing a rule with a partner or family member just tells me they are tightwads.

It clearly states you can give a second card on your account to a family member who LIVES AT YOUR ADDRESS.

Before I got my card I would go with my daughter and buy stuff as a guest on her card No problems at all and this was only 2 months ago.

I buy my vegan butter from there a large 2 kg tub of a Nuttelex compared to $5.20 for 500g at coles or woolworths

It clearly states you can give a second card on your account to a family member who LIVES AT YOUR ADDRESS.

Before I got my card I would go with my daughter and buy stuff as a guest on her card No problems at all and this was only 2 months ago.

I buy my vegan butter from there a large 2 kg tub of a Nuttelex compared to $5.20 for 500g at coles or woolworths
Me too Suzanne, it is $10 at Woolies for 1kg but 2 kg at Costco is the same price.

Reactions: TheBear

View attachment 28568

Key Takeaways

$65 to have the privilege to shop at Costco not for me as the store is to far away and one a month with me and the wife in the house isn't economical to go so dam it ALDI's for me

Reactions: NotNats

But you can take your cat into Bundaberg IGA. Took puss with my after picking her up from the vet across the road after desexing. A shop assistant said she can't be in the store to which I promptly replied "It's my seeing eye cat". She replied with an "Oh" and walked off.

Silly woman!
😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: IJH and NotNats

Silly woman!
The first instance of me being a smartarse in a retail setting was when I was 14 during the school holidays. Along with three mates, we were finishing our milkshakes at Four Corners food court in Roselands Shopping Centre when an attendant told us to vacate our seat as there were other customers waiting.

I informed the attendant that "in accordance with the Restaurant and Cafes Act, you are not required to vacate a seat until you are ready to do so...". The attendant was gobsmacked and walked off. So we sat there for another ten minutes. Bullshitting (in a good way) to such people is one of my favourite pastimes and still is.