Did this Coles shopper take it too far? Other shoppers were outraged

Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

'Come on Coles - pick your game up and stop treating us like fools.'

91bbbc372277c71030514713f97d6177c99298ae-161x229-x0y0w1012h1440.jpg

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

'Oh, and by the way, your Entitlement Medal is in the mail.'

A third chimed in: 'Grow up.'

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

'I will go to a store where there is real service.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Unless you have actually worked in a supermarket it is hard to understand how they work. It is not possible to judge when a store will be busy. It is usually based on past weeks statistics and as much as these stores try to have enough registers open at busy times, no system is perfect. If their practices dont please you, shop somewhere else. It may have something to do with being sheep but in the end we need to buy our food somewhere and sometimes waiting is part of the deal. Just have a little patience and consideration. The me first attitude is truly shitty in my opinion. And if you ask for help, quite often another register can be opened by staff from other areas. Just be polite.

Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
Disgraceful childish, wasteful behaviour. Shop somewhere else or be patient like the rest of us. The people you are attacking, ie, the checkout people have no control over how many checkouts are open

politely ask for another checkout to be open. i’ve never had a problem! very childish and stupid what you did 😡

Key Takeaways

Perhaps this gentleman, using term loosely doesn't realise that it is not only Coles who at times are limited to the amount of checkouts open. I do not go to Aldi's for a several reasons, I don't like having my items thrust at me and have to put them into the bag quickly or shove them in the trolley and sometimes the queues are extremely long as they only have one or two checkouts open and then suddenly they close one and everyone has to try and get into the line that is still open. Woolies also at times do not have enough open as indeed IGA or Foodland. So saying it is only at Coles is totally wrong. I am also in agreeance with the rest on here, don't go to Coles, go to where you think you will get better service.

It is the same at WW here in Benalla. The staff are so busy doing Click and collect, there are not enough to staff the checkouts. WW is attempting to force shoppers to use self check out.

Key Takeaways

His actions don't achieve anything, and he only makes himself appear a spoiled idiot! - mc

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

Have to say I am torn. First waste. Staff will return it at once if fresh. Second, such a childish way to protest, standing in queues a part of life, deal with it.
Most supermarkets monitor social media, post and get people to share and keep sharing.far more adult.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

I can quite understand his frustration and his point. How many of us are suffering that same frustration when we are left in a long queue at a bank with 2 tellers trying to serve 20 customers with5 or more empty teller booths?
How many of us are left on hold for 20 minutes or more while they receive a constant "your call is important to us" message?
Especially centrelink where calls can be hours on hold. And phone call providers.
Yes it is about time we let them know that we see not going to put up with the lack of service we are paying for.
A better idea to make these companies and departments be made to sit up and take notice would be to bill them for our time.
Thousands of invoices that they have to respond to takes time and costs money. Money better spent on giving the service they are paid for.

What a big sook - the adult form of a tantrum?! I don't need someone to scan for me. If the checkout staff are busy I head for the self-checkout. What's wrong with that. The staff members there are always courteous, helpful and friendly and I get through as fast as I choose.

There is a more deep issue here than one person being rude. For many years Coles and Woolworths have made a practice of reducing staff and getting us to do unpaid work in using their automatic checkouts so as to increase their profits. Such is the diminution of service that now we see long lines of people using their unpaid time to queue up to use yet more unpaid time to work the automatic tills. And that not only contributes to unemployment (which we, the taxpayer, pay for through accommodating the assorted social ills caused by unemployment) but also to frustration in dealing with a duopoly at least one of which has also a wholesale arm that affects the viability of the small shopkeeper.

Woolworths and Coles also demanded 24/7 type shopping opening hours some years ago. Where I live, within three month this had wiped out the local small shopkeepers including the local butcher and corner store that I could walk to easily, so now I have to drive to a shoppingmall to buy essentials such as milk; and that loss of work in local small businesses would also have contributed to unemployment and social distress. And driving to shopping malls is just one more aspect of how we burn fuel that contributes to global warming. Well done, Coles and Woolworths!

So good on you, the bloke who dumped that food outside Coles.

Reactions: Dicky

Key Takeaways

Something different happened to me. Three times, just as I got to the front of a queue, the operator decoded to close the register and told me to go to another. You might not believe this, but it happened! I went to the service desk and asked for the Manager. When he came he apologised profusely, told me he would see me through a register, but I walked off and left the trolley.

I can quite understand his frustration and his point. How many of us are suffering that same frustration when we are left in a long queue at a bank with 2 tellers trying to serve 20 customers with5 or more empty teller booths?
How many of us are left on hold for 20 minutes or more while they receive a constant "your call is important to us" message?
Especially centrelink where calls can be hours on hold. And phone call providers.
Yes it is about time we let them know that we see not going to put up with the lack of service we are paying for.
A better idea to make these companies and departments be made to sit up and take notice would be to bill them for our time.
Thousands of invoices that they have to respond to takes time and costs money. Money better spent on giving the service they are paid for.
Yes; and telephone "providers" have as their policy refusing to reply to letters. You would have to organise a class action to get them to take notice of any bills you send them for wasting your time.

Key Takeaways

What a childish idiot.🤬

If he was in such a hurry he could have used the self serve checkouts. That's what they're for. If I only see a couple of checkouts open with a queue then it's straight to self serve and I'm out of the store before people in the queue get served. Certainly wouldn't have a childish tantrum about closed checkouts like that. 🙄

Key Takeaways

Yes; and telephone "providers" have as their policy refusing to reply to letters. You would have to organise a class action to get them to take notice of any bills you send them for wasting your time.

Key Takeaways