Did this Coles shopper take it too far? Other shoppers were outraged

Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

'Come on Coles - pick your game up and stop treating us like fools.'

91bbbc372277c71030514713f97d6177c99298ae-161x229-x0y0w1012h1440.jpg

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

'Oh, and by the way, your Entitlement Medal is in the mail.'

A third chimed in: 'Grow up.'

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

'I will go to a store where there is real service.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm happy to wait my turn in ALDI's as they don't have machines "serving", only very nice friendly people. I gave up Coles when the machines went in! (None of those ever asked me how I was or wanted to chat!!) The bonus for me is that my shopping now costs a lot less! So I guess the moral of this story is - don't get angry and spoil food which could have been given to families who are struggling, go to Aldis, smile and save money!! Have a happy day everyone!

Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Very childish, must be Karen’s partner…the food when found by staff that he left in protest, most likely was dumped. Did he try the self checkout? People in this world (like him and his actions) are not welcome.

I find that in a long queue, a staff member will come along to open another check-out. The supervisor usually picks a customer midway of queue to the next open checkout. I only use them if I have a semi full trolley of groceries. To leave the trolley of fresh produce is criminal if not sinful. Think of those who can't afford food

Key Takeaways

Childish ...you can already picture the person he is...

Arrogant... he thinks he is Gods gift,
imagine everyonedoing this

Impatient... dont most people have to wait in lines not just supermarkets but doctors ans service nsw , did he go in at peak hour

Disrespectful ... not only causing extra work for staff who could have been helping other customers but inconveniencing customers by just leaving the trolley there .

Grow up and grow a pair of balls

This childish immature idiot wants his personal shopping assistant, who is there just to provide service to him. There is no shop in existence where you will not have to wait in line to be served. To waste food when other people are desperate in feeding their family is unforgivable.

Key Takeaways

That guy needs to get a life. What a tosser.

It's a catch 22 situation, I agree, there are rarely enough checkouts open. Because I don't work there I won't use self checkouts but this dick has no patience at all. He will checkout early one day, he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

Although I disagree with this customers method of protest (U, for one, can barely afford to shop on my pension and to discard perfectly good food gets my craw!) I completely understand where he is coming from. It IS incredibly irritating to only a have one manned checkout open when the shop is busy - particularly when customers in front of you dither around when paying or packing their bags. And whilst there may be a self-serve facilities available, in my local store, many of the machines are out of order thus also creating long lines to check out.

Key Takeaways