Did These Supermarket Giants Exploit Their Workers?

While you fill your cart at the local supermarket, it's worth considering the individuals who work diligently behind the scenes to ensure the shelves are stocked and the checkout queues keep moving.

Unfortunately, for some workers at major supermarket chains like Coles and Woolworths, their story is marred by allegations of labour exploitation and underpayment, which are hard to overlook.

Class action lawsuits can bring about significant change. By allowing a group of individuals who have been similarly affected to join forces in a single legal action, these lawsuits can hold companies accountable for alleged wrongdoing.

In the case of Coles and Woolworths, two major supermarket chains with substantial profits, the accusations of underpayment towards their workers are deeply concerning.

compressed-laws.jpeg
It is crucial to hold big corporations accountable for their actions and ensure they prioritise fair treatment of their workers. Image by EKATERINA BOLOVTSOVA from pexels

It raises questions about fair employment practices and the treatment of employees who play a significant role in the success of these companies.

Working in the retail industry can be demanding, with long hours, weekend work, and customer service.

This is why in Australia, we have the General Retail Industry Award, which sets minimum pay rates and working conditions in retail to protect workers' rights.

However, workers like Maria and Cameron claim that their rights were trampled underfoot, resulting in a loss of their hard-earned money and precious time.

Maria, a single mother of two, is one of the individuals pursuing Coles in the class action lawsuit.

She shared her experience of working a staggering amount of unpaid overtime, leaving her sleep-deprived and reliant on energy drinks to get through the day.

Maria shared, ‘I should have been spending that time with my kids, enjoying it with them. Coles took that away from me.’

Cameron, a father and a former night manager at Woolworths, adds to this troubling picture. He alleged he worked tirelessly for the company, often working far beyond his paid hours to get the job done.

Cameron stated, ‘As manager, I would always be there first. My team would work between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am. I was always there first, dealing with rostering issues, setting up the store room and setting up the load for the night.’

compressed-shutterstock_1673777497.jpeg
By enforcing regulations, supporting transparency, and promoting ethical practices, we can work towards a more just and responsible business landscape. Image from Shutterstock

‘The reality is that we were never really given sufficient staffing levels to put those loads away, so it was a fast-paced environment to work in, and in order to complete the tasks, I had to work the extra hours. So basically, I was getting paid for eight hours a night when I was actually working 11 hours a night.’ he added.

In this case against Coles and Woolworths, Rory Markham from Adero Law is championing the workers' cause.

'I hope that Cameron and Maria get vindicated. They should never have put up with the underpayments that went on year after year in our major supermarkets.’ said Markham.

In response to the allegations, Coles and Woolworths acknowledged the situation, expressing a commitment to pay their team members correctly. They both look forward to the clarity these court proceedings will bring.

Coles shared in a statement:

We know how hard our team members work and are committed to paying them correctly. The underpayment of any team member is something we deeply regret, and we apologise unreservedly to those who were affected.

We conducted a comprehensive review in 2020 and worked quickly to rectify the issue. Since then, we have put new processes and measures in place to help ensure this doesn't happen again and continue to work hard to improve and to get this right.

There are many complexities to the General Retail Industry Award, and we look forward to the clarity these court proceedings will bring.

As the matter is before the court, we cannot comment further.

Woolworths said in a statement:

Woolworths self-reported its failure to pay salaried store team members in full compliance with the General Retail Industry Award in October 2019. Woolworths apologised unreservedly to the team members affected and has since carried out an extensive remediation program for those team members.

Each of the specific matters about which questions have been asked has been the subject of evidence in the Federal Court proceedings. As Mr Baker's claim is currently before the Court, it is not appropriate for Woolworths to make any further comment.

Key Takeaways
  • Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths are accused of underpaying staff, with class action lawsuits underway.
  • Single mum Maria, part of the action against Coles, claims she continually worked unpaid overtime, resulting in significant personal distress.
  • Another participant in the class action, Cameron, accused Woolworths of unfair treatment, long after-work hours, and alleged underpayment.
  • Both supermarkets have issued statements expressing regret for any underpayment and emphasising their commitment to correctly paying their staff, but the matter is currently before the courts.

The outcome of these lawsuits could have ripple effects throughout the retail sector and even beyond, potentially setting a precedent for other companies to treat their workers fairly.

It could empower workers to take a stronger stance against suspected exploitation, fostering a better working environment.

Let's hope this serves as a reminder that everyone deserves fair compensation for their labour, no matter how large the corporation.

Members, how do you feel about the troubling allegations of labour exploitation and underpayment at major supermarket chains? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Reactions: Blanka Theiss
Sponsored
It's good they are sorry for underpaying their staff, however what was their reason for not paying them properly? Are they blaming a payroll computer glitch? I don't think that reason will suffice. It must be bad that staff had to end up suing.

Reactions: Macarj
While you fill your cart at the local supermarket, it's worth considering the individuals who work diligently behind the scenes to ensure the shelves are stocked and the checkout queues keep moving.

Unfortunately, for some workers at major supermarket chains like Coles and Woolworths, their story is marred by allegations of labour exploitation and underpayment, which are hard to overlook.

Class action lawsuits can bring about significant change. By allowing a group of individuals who have been similarly affected to join forces in a single legal action, these lawsuits can hold companies accountable for alleged wrongdoing.

In the case of Coles and Woolworths, two major supermarket chains with substantial profits, the accusations of underpayment towards their workers are deeply concerning.

View attachment 24598
It is crucial to hold big corporations accountable for their actions and ensure they prioritise fair treatment of their workers. Image by EKATERINA BOLOVTSOVA from pexels

It raises questions about fair employment practices and the treatment of employees who play a significant role in the success of these companies.

Working in the retail industry can be demanding, with long hours, weekend work, and customer service.

This is why in Australia, we have the General Retail Industry Award, which sets minimum pay rates and working conditions in retail to protect workers' rights.

However, workers like Maria and Cameron claim that their rights were trampled underfoot, resulting in a loss of their hard-earned money and precious time.

Maria, a single mother of two, is one of the individuals pursuing Coles in the class action lawsuit.

She shared her experience of working a staggering amount of unpaid overtime, leaving her sleep-deprived and reliant on energy drinks to get through the day.

Maria shared, ‘I should have been spending that time with my kids, enjoying it with them. Coles took that away from me.’

Cameron, a father and a former night manager at Woolworths, adds to this troubling picture. He alleged he worked tirelessly for the company, often working far beyond his paid hours to get the job done.

Cameron stated, ‘As manager, I would always be there first. My team would work between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am. I was always there first, dealing with rostering issues, setting up the store room and setting up the load for the night.’

View attachment 24599
By enforcing regulations, supporting transparency, and promoting ethical practices, we can work towards a more just and responsible business landscape. Image from Shutterstock

‘The reality is that we were never really given sufficient staffing levels to put those loads away, so it was a fast-paced environment to work in, and in order to complete the tasks, I had to work the extra hours. So basically, I was getting paid for eight hours a night when I was actually working 11 hours a night.’ he added.

In this case against Coles and Woolworths, Rory Markham from Adero Law is championing the workers' cause.

'I hope that Cameron and Maria get vindicated. They should never have put up with the underpayments that went on year after year in our major supermarkets.’ said Markham.

In response to the allegations, Coles and Woolworths acknowledged the situation, expressing a commitment to pay their team members correctly. They both look forward to the clarity these court proceedings will bring.

We know how hard our team members work and are committed to paying them correctly. The underpayment of any team member is something we deeply regret, and we apologise unreservedly to those who were affected.

We conducted a comprehensive review in 2020 and worked quickly to rectify the issue. Since then, we have put new processes and measures in place to help ensure this doesn't happen again and continue to work hard to improve and to get this right.

There are many complexities to the General Retail Industry Award, and we look forward to the clarity these court proceedings will bring.

Woolworths self-reported its failure to pay salaried store team members in full compliance with the General Retail Industry Award in October 2019. Woolworths apologised unreservedly to the team members affected and has since carried out an extensive remediation program for those team members.

Each of the specific matters about which questions have been asked has been the subject of evidence in the Federal Court proceedings. As Mr Baker's claim is currently before the Court, it is not appropriate for Woolworths to make any further comment.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths are accused of underpaying staff, with class action lawsuits underway.
  • Single mum Maria, part of the action against Coles, claims she continually worked unpaid overtime, resulting in significant personal distress.
  • Another participant in the class action, Cameron, accused Woolworths of unfair treatment, long after-work hours, and alleged underpayment.
  • Both supermarkets have issued statements expressing regret for any underpayment and emphasising their commitment to correctly paying their staff, but the matter is currently before the courts.

The outcome of these lawsuits could have ripple effects throughout the retail sector and even beyond, potentially setting a precedent for other companies to treat their workers fairly.

It could empower workers to take a stronger stance against suspected exploitation, fostering a better working environment.

Let's hope this serves as a reminder that everyone deserves fair compensation for their labour, no matter how large the corporation.

Members, how do you feel about the troubling allegations of labour exploitation and underpayment at major supermarket chains? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Retail and Hospitality industries are appalling when it comes to staff treatment. The practices they employ have obviously been going on for years.

This is not just retail, & not just about underpayment, as a Manager (now retired from Health) I worked over my allocated hours on a daily basis, additional responsibilities are added to the roles without thought of how this impacts on Managers. I.e. a payroll system that the Manager loads data (daily) as opposed to a pay offer who had previously performed the role, performance development increased from annually to Quarterly (over 80 staff), increased inspection of work areas for cleanliness, Safety etc. and the list goes on. I have no idea why anyone would want to be a Manager these days!

Reactions: Macarj and Marj53
This is why i refused a salaried position. The pay sounds good until you realise how big your work load is. The company thinks it owns you if you are salaried. Woolworths even took annual bonuses away, no wonder so many managers have left.

Reactions: Mark1 and Macarj
Terrible treatment of workers, I hope anyone who’s been under paid gets their fair due. These big supermarkets make huge profits, no excuses! Get it right Coles and Woollies! Everyone should get paid the hours they work, and if they’re on salary the hours should still be in their contract, pay them extra.

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

Key Takeaways

The supermarkets are monoliths whi have exploited not only their workers but their customers for far too long. It is long overdue for them to be held accountable for their outrageous behaviour and taken down more rhan a peg or two. The fact the governments have done nothing about it tells you everything.

I feel very sorry for these employees I worked for BHP steel which became Bluescope steel for 40 years only had a pay issue when I turned 18 I new I should be on senior money but they said not until you're 24 I went to the Dept of labour as it was called back in 1974 and got a copy of the rules gave it to my manager after 4months got the rise and back pay it's important that employees know their rights and don't let it go on for too long

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

Key Takeaways

Take Coles and Woolworths to the cleaner's wage theft is real the parasite companies make billions in profits 📈 pay your worker compensation and make legislation so it doesn't happen again scumbag companies 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

So i guess this means we will see grocery prices rise even more to cover these poor supermarkets loss in the extra wage payments, yippee!

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

Key Takeaways