Did a sudden show cancellation push this radio star to tears during a live broadcast?

The radio landscape was rocked by a sudden shake-up recently, as two beloved radio personalities were abruptly taken off the air.

The move was apparently made to pave the way for expanding the wildly popular Kyle & Jackie O Show on KIIS FM into the Melbourne market.

The shock announcement left radio star Lauren Phillips in tears during a live broadcast.

The Jase & Lauren breakfast show, co-hosted by Jason Hawkins and Lauren Phillips, was a staple for many Melbourne listeners.

However, the duo was informed on Tuesday night, November 21, that their show would end at the close of 2023 to make room for the Sydney-based Kyle & Jackie O Show, which will air in Melbourne in 2024.

308122514_5558507034199208_3999772674669603370_n.png
The Jase & Lauren breakfast show will end this year. Credit: KIIS 101.1/Facebook

Jase revealed the news on air, stating, 'Last night, we all received a phone call from management. The show will be finishing up at the end of 2023. Kyle & Jackie O will be taking over in 2024.'

The announcement was part of a 10-year mega-deal, reportedly worth $200 million, which was announced on Wednesday, November 22.

Lauren, clearly emotional, added, 'This is certainly not the way we wanted to bow out. We didn’t have a choice. We don’t want to say goodbye. We didn’t have to be here this morning to make this announcement, but we’re here.'

As she spoke about the decision and its impact, Lauren broke down in tears, expressing her love for the show and the team behind it.

‘It’s been an absolute ball. It’s a sad day for us,’ she admitted. ‘We have an extraordinary team here, they are so passionate, they get in before us, they leave after us, they do all the heavy lifting.’

Jase also revealed that he spoke to Jackie O, sharing, ‘I said, “You guys are very lucky to have the people we have listening to this show.”’

The CEO and Managing Director of ARN Media, Ciaran Davis, commented on the departure of the two radio stars, ‘The decision to conclude the show was not made lightly, and I would like to thank Jase, Lauren, Clint and the team for their tremendous efforts and contribution.’

‘Despite believing in the show’s potential, the competitive market and longstanding heritage shows meant we were unable to cut through in the way we wanted,’ he added.

The show's listeners were equally devastated by the news, with one writing on social media, ‘This is a huge big mistake! Love you guys, always made my morning drive so enjoyable.’

‘Not happy. My mornings just won't be the same,’ another said.

‘I will be changing stations next year!’ a third one declared.

You can watch Jase and Lauren’s announcement here:

Meanwhile, Kyle Sandilands and Jackie 'O' Henderson have recently celebrated their new contract with the Australian Radio Network.

‘Melbourne listeners, you’ll hear us on KIIS 101.1 on the Melbourne FM,’ Kyle said on air. ‘Fans of the show will be stoked to hear that this 10-year deal is the longest radio deal in Australian history.’

‘Love us or loathe us, Jackie and I will be continuing with our politically incorrect nonsense for a long, long time,’ he added.

Key Takeaways
  • Radio stars Jason Hawkins and Lauren Phillips have lost their jobs to make way for Kyle Sandilands and Jackie 'O' Henderson’s show in Melbourne.
  • The Jase & Lauren show will finish at the end of 2023, with the Kyle & Jackie O Show taking over in 2024.
  • An emotional Lauren broke down on air whilst discussing the decision.
  • Fans of the Jase & Lauren show have voiced their disappointment across social media.

What are your thoughts on the Jase & Lauren show cancellation, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The radio landscape was rocked by a sudden shake-up recently, as two beloved radio personalities were abruptly taken off the air.

The move was apparently made to pave the way for expanding the wildly popular Kyle & Jackie O Show on KIIS FM into the Melbourne market.

The shock announcement left radio star Lauren Phillips in tears during a live broadcast.

The Jase & Lauren breakfast show, co-hosted by Jason Hawkins and Lauren Phillips, was a staple for many Melbourne listeners.

However, the duo was informed on Tuesday night, November 21, that their show would end at the close of 2023 to make room for the Sydney-based Kyle & Jackie O Show, which will air in Melbourne in 2024.

View attachment 35524
The Jase & Lauren breakfast show will end this year. Credit: KIIS 101.1/Facebook

Jase revealed the news on air, stating, 'Last night, we all received a phone call from management. The show will be finishing up at the end of 2023. Kyle & Jackie O will be taking over in 2024.'

The announcement was part of a 10-year mega-deal, reportedly worth $200 million, which was announced on Wednesday, November 22.

Lauren, clearly emotional, added, 'This is certainly not the way we wanted to bow out. We didn’t have a choice. We don’t want to say goodbye. We didn’t have to be here this morning to make this announcement, but we’re here.'

As she spoke about the decision and its impact, Lauren broke down in tears, expressing her love for the show and the team behind it.

‘It’s been an absolute ball. It’s a sad day for us,’ she admitted. ‘We have an extraordinary team here, they are so passionate, they get in before us, they leave after us, they do all the heavy lifting.’

Jase also revealed that he spoke to Jackie O, sharing, ‘I said, “You guys are very lucky to have the people we have listening to this show.”’

The CEO and Managing Director of ARN Media, Ciaran Davis, commented on the departure of the two radio stars, ‘The decision to conclude the show was not made lightly, and I would like to thank Jase, Lauren, Clint and the team for their tremendous efforts and contribution.’

‘Despite believing in the show’s potential, the competitive market and longstanding heritage shows meant we were unable to cut through in the way we wanted,’ he added.

The show's listeners were equally devastated by the news, with one writing on social media, ‘This is a huge big mistake! Love you guys, always made my morning drive so enjoyable.’

Meanwhile, Kyle Sandilands and Jackie 'O' Henderson have recently celebrated their new contract with the Australian Radio Network.

‘Melbourne listeners, you’ll hear us on KIIS 101.1 on the Melbourne FM,’ Kyle said on air. ‘Fans of the show will be stoked to hear that this 10-year deal is the longest radio deal in Australian history.’

‘Love us or loathe us, Jackie and I will be continuing with our politically incorrect nonsense for a long, long time,’ he added.

Key Takeaways

• Radio stars Jason Hawkins and Lauren Phillips have lost their jobs to make way for Kyle Sandilands and Jackie 'O' Henderson’s show in Melbourne.
  • The Jase & Lauren show will finish at the end of 2023, with the Kyle & Jackie O Show taking over in 2024.
  • Fans of the Jase & Lauren show have voiced their disappointment across social media.

What are your thoughts on the Jase & Lauren show cancellation, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Why "we didn't have a choice"? Did that Creep buy the radio station? I wouldn't give yard room to Sandilands and isn't ARN Media the same mob who has bought up all of our magazines? Amazing what you can do with millions of dollars in the bank. Come on Victorians switch the dial.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Why "we didn't have a choice"? Did that Creep buy the radio station? I wouldn't give yard room to Sandilands and isn't ARN Media the same mob who has bought up all of our magazines? Amazing what you can do with millions of dollars in the bank. Come on Victorians switch the dial.
Yes we stand united😁let’s get the posse together and run them out of our towns.🤣

Big mistake. Melbourne listeners don't want syndey stars briadcasting from Sydney. How is tthat going to relate to what is happening at the time in Melbourne on a daily basis. I won't be listening instead opting to listern to a more local based station and announcers.

The Money that Kyle and Jackie O have been offered could have helped towards
our struggling Hospitals .. they are the people we depend upon when it comes to saving lives.
What is so special about K & J ?

Who knew that many people listened to the radio? Especially the younger listener(s). I thought they just listened to spotify etc and from my experience play a song for 10-15 seconds then excitedly search for another song before the 1st even get to the second verse.

Hopefully the 2 DJ'S that we're sacked get picked up by another reputable station and all their listeners follow them there. How low of the station in the first place and taking on the foul mouth git and partner in crime.

View attachment 35524

Key Takeaways

how mean can radio get? I have never listened to the two mentioned and I never will. Hard to understand some peoples mentality to have to listen to utter dribble.

how mean can radio get? I have never listened to the two mentioned and I never will. Hard to understand some peoples mentality to have to listen to utter dribble.
There was a change at 4BC where we now have 3 who are loud and play music. BRING BACK THE TALK BACK. I now can google and listen to Ben at 2gb. Why on earth does it take 3 to run a radio session? Not for this lady.

Disgusting manner in which those 2 announcers were terminated. I guess this could have been done in a even more gutless way via an SMS. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FACE TO FACE DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE? ARE WE NOW SO UNCIVILIZED THAT EVERYTHING MUST BE DONE ELECTRONICALLY NOW, & that includes phones?

What was the reason given for their termination if they were drawing in the ratings?

Putting Kyle & Jackie O in this prime timeslot won't necessarily guarantee a greater following but it will guarantee a much larger wages bill. Can the station really afford the risk?

View attachment 35524

Key Takeaways

It will be very interesting to see how this infamous duo ‘do’ on Melbourne radio. Melbn is very different to Syd radio.

View attachment 35524

Key Takeaways

I hope you all get snapped up by another radio station. All the best guys.

View attachment 35524

Key Takeaways

I have changed stations. I cannot stand the male half if that team. I don't even like giving him any acknowledgement by saying his name