Diary entry gives an intimate glimpse into the Queen’s final moments

In the quiet serenity of Balmoral Castle, a place steeped in personal history and fond memories, the final chapter of Queen Elizabeth II's remarkable life came to a close.

It was here, in the Scottish Highlands, that the Queen's private secretary, Sir Edward Young, meticulously documented her last moments, capturing the essence of her peaceful departure from this world.

'Very peaceful,' Young wrote in his diary entry, now lodged in the Royal Archives.

'In her sleep. Slipped away. Old age. She wouldn't have been aware of anything. No pain.'

This poignant account, previously unseen by the public, paints a serene picture of the Queen's passing at her beloved Balmoral Castle.

SDC 2.png
The Queen’s private secretary’s diary entry gave the public a glimpse into her final moments. Image source: katemangostar on Freepik.

Royal Expert Katie Nicholl revealed in September 2022 that it was always the Queen's wish to die at Balmoral.

This sentiment was echoed by the Queen's cousin, Lady Elizabeth Shakerley, who stated in an interview in 2020 that the Scottish estate was where the late Queen felt most at peace.

The National Records of Scotland officially recorded her cause of death as 'old age’.

In his upcoming book, Charles III: New King, New Court. The Inside Story, Royal Reporter Robert Hardman shared further details about the Queen's final day.

Her eldest son, Charles, and his wife, Camilla, spent an hour with the Queen before Charles left to forage mushrooms and clear his head.

SDC 3.png
Royal Reporter Robert Hardman is set to release his book Charles III: New King, New Court. The Inside Story on January 18, 2024. Image source: Amazon UK.

King Charles received the news of his mother's passing as he was driving back to Balmoral Castle.

Others present at the Queen's bedside included Princess Anne, the Queen's senior dresser and trusted confidante, Angela Kelly, and the Rev Kenneth MacKenzie, a minister who read to her from the Bible.

A locked red box of paperwork was also found on her deathbed, containing two sealed letters: one to her son and heir, Charles, and the other addressed to Young.

The box also contained the Queen’s final royal order: her choice of candidates for the prestigious Order of Merit for 'exceptionally meritorious service' across the Commonwealth.

'Even on her deathbed, there had been work to do. And she had done it,' Hardman wrote, remembering the Queen’s legendary work ethic.
Key Takeaways
  • The Queen's peaceful final moments, which were recorded by her private secretary and included in the Royal Archives, have recently been revealed to the public.
  • Queen Elizabeth II passed away on September 8, 2022, at the age of 96, at Balmoral Castle, fulfilling her wish to die at the Scottish estate.
  • Her final moments were spent with close family members and confidantes, and she was engaged in official duties until the end.
  • The Queen's exemplary work ethic was highlighted by her attending to royal orders and selecting candidates for the Order of Merit up until her death.
What are your thoughts on this story, dear members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
An amazing lady and I think the mould was broken after her .

Charles won't come near his mother , the closest will be William.

I read this story last week and wondered why Charles only spent an hour with his mother and then went to pick mushrooms.

He knew she was on her last! William and Harry were rushing to be there because they all knew it was her last hours.

He hasn't stated who else was there but I believe Princess Anne was by her mother's side the whole time.

I read this story last week and wondered why Charles only spent an hour with his mother and then went to pick mushrooms.

He knew she was on her last! William and Harry were rushing to be there because they all knew it was her last hours.

He hasn't stated who else was there but I believe Princess Anne was by her mother's side the whole time.
Personally I think it is cruel to criticise Charles, or anyone for that matter, in how they handle death.
We are all different and handle grief and loss in different ways.
No way is the right or wrong way.

Last edited:
In the quiet serenity of Balmoral Castle, a place steeped in personal history and fond memories, the final chapter of Queen Elizabeth II's remarkable life came to a close.

It was here, in the Scottish Highlands, that the Queen's private secretary, Sir Edward Young, meticulously documented her last moments, capturing the essence of her peaceful departure from this world.

'Very peaceful,' Young wrote in his diary entry, now lodged in the Royal Archives.

'In her sleep. Slipped away. Old age. She wouldn't have been aware of anything. No pain.'

This poignant account, previously unseen by the public, paints a serene picture of the Queen's passing at her beloved Balmoral Castle.

View attachment 39258
The Queen’s private secretary’s diary entry gave the public a glimpse into her final moments. Image source: katemangostar on Freepik.

Royal Expert Katie Nicholl revealed in September 2022 that it was always the Queen's wish to die at Balmoral.

This sentiment was echoed by the Queen's cousin, Lady Elizabeth Shakerley, who stated in an interview in 2020 that the Scottish estate was where the late Queen felt most at peace.

The National Records of Scotland officially recorded her cause of death as 'old age’.

In his upcoming book, Charles III: New King, New Court. The Inside Story, Royal Reporter Robert Hardman shared further details about the Queen's final day.

Her eldest son, Charles, and his wife, Camilla, spent an hour with the Queen before Charles left to forage mushrooms and clear his head.

View attachment 39259
Royal Reporter Robert Hardman is set to release his book Charles III: New King, New Court. The Inside Story on January 18, 2024. Image source: Amazon UK.

King Charles received the news of his mother's passing as he was driving back to Balmoral Castle.

Others present at the Queen's bedside included Princess Anne, the Queen's senior dresser and trusted confidante, Angela Kelly, and the Rev Kenneth MacKenzie, a minister who read to her from the Bible.

A locked red box of paperwork was also found on her deathbed, containing two sealed letters: one to her son and heir, Charles, and the other addressed to Young.

The box also contained the Queen’s final royal order: her choice of candidates for the prestigious Order of Merit for 'exceptionally meritorious service' across the Commonwealth.

'Even on her deathbed, there had been work to do. And she had done it,' Hardman wrote, remembering the Queen’s legendary work ethic.
Key Takeaways

• The Queen's peaceful final moments, which were recorded by her private secretary and included in the Royal Archives, have recently been revealed to the public.
  • Queen Elizabeth II passed away on September 8, 2022, at the age of 96, at Balmoral Castle, fulfilling her wish to die at the Scottish estate.
  • Her final moments were spent with close family members and confidantes, and she was engaged in official duties until the end.
  • The Queen's exemplary work ethic was highlighted by her attending to royal orders and selecting candidates for the Order of Merit up until her death.
What are your thoughts on this story, dear members? Let us know in the comments below!
Well lots of people die in their sleep 😴 💤 so that chapter has closed time for Australia 🇦🇺 to change and cut the apron strings bring on a Republic time to stand alone 👍👍👍👍👍👍

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Personally I think it is cruel to criticise Charles, or anyone for that matter, in how they handle death.
We are all different and handle grief and loss in different ways.
No way is the right or wrong way.
I totally agree but a future King should have strength and compassion, and I think by being by his mother's side in her last hour would have shown this.

When my grandfather passed away I would have loved nothing more than to have escaped his final hour but I drew on strength to be with him because of the love I had and respect I had for him.

Yes we do deal with death in our own way. But that's after our love one has passed

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
It's a difference in judging and opinion.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we all judge no matter if its small or big

I totally agree but a future King should have strength and compassion, and I think by being by his mother's side in her last hour would have shown this.

When my grandfather passed away I would have loved nothing more than to have escaped his final hour but I drew on strength to be with him because of the love I had and respect I had for him.

Yes we do deal with death in our own way. But that's after our love one has passed
Sorry Suzanne Rose, but I can't agree with you.
I would also do the same as you, but not all people have the strength in that way, but that does not necessarily make them weak.
Charles, at the end of the day is just human, as are we all.
Maybe read Knells quote from the bible.

you just dont KNOW......when a son loses his mother I can assure you he was hurting and he should NOT have to be accountable regarding his grief

View attachment 39258

View attachment 39259

Key Takeaways

A wonderful story about an amazing Queen to the very end 💔

It's a difference in judging and opinion.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we all judge no matter if its small or big
I think what you say is right Suzanne, we all do it every day on this sight. Not sure if I would believe everything, I read about the royal family though. It's hard to say what's true when we weren't there.

Sorry Suzanne Rose, but I can't agree with you.
I would also do the same as you, but not all people have the strength in that way, but that does not necessarily make them weak.
Charles, at the end of the day is just human, as are we all.
Maybe read Knells quote from the bible.
I know that quote well, you also have to read the verses beforehand and after to get the full concept.

I just think in certain times we need to put our big girl pants on.

My uncle passed away last year and I actually didn't like him. He was always mean and horrible to his family including my grandfather who was his father.
He never visited him in the nursing home and then only once in the hospice.

I was 38 weeks pregnant, sick and very emotional but I still went every day to visit him and feed him including 10 hours before giving birth, then left straight from the labour ward 3 hours after giving birth and took my daughter that night to see my grandfather and his smile when seeing her was priceless

I struggled the whole time , but I couldn't let him die without knowing I would go to the moon and back.

I did pretty much the same for my uncle including his funeral. After how my uncle treated us I think I did well and without judgement

I know that quote well, you also have to read the verses beforehand and after to get the full concept.

I just think in certain times we need to put our big girl pants on.

My uncle passed away last year and I actually didn't like him. He was always mean and horrible to his family including my grandfather who was his father.
He never visited him in the nursing home and then only once in the hospice.

I was 38 weeks pregnant, sick and very emotional but I still went every day to visit him and feed him including 10 hours before giving birth, then left straight from the labour ward 3 hours after giving birth and took my daughter that night to see my grandfather and his smile when seeing her was priceless

I struggled the whole time , but I couldn't let him die without knowing I would go to the moon and back.

I did pretty much the same for my uncle including his funeral. After how my uncle treated us I think I did well and without judgement
You are a very strong and compassionate lady
I have always felt sorry for Charles I remember the picture of the Queen returning from a trip where she had.been away for months. Charles was very young and here she was shaking hands with him. Where was the motherly love and compassion for this little boy who hadn't seen his mother for months.
I also remember the pictures of Lady Di returning from a trip with her children flying into her open arms
Those boys knew how much they were loved.
I do not criticise the Queen, as far as her duty is concerned and she did place her duty above all else, but I also feel that her children didn't know what real motherly love was, perhaps with the exception of Andrew.
I also feel sorry for her as she really didn't have a life as normal people know it

If we are honest, we all judge other people in whatever the action or inaction is that offends us. Even in the choices that we make, in fact just about anything at all
that goes against whatever we perceive that it should or could have been done or said better, purely in our opinion..
You sounded the Amen - we all left the chappel.