Diabetes group appeals for subsidy of costly treatment as promising medicines debut

The battle against diabetes, a chronic disease that affects millions of Australians, is about to get a significant boost.

Groundbreaking new medications that not only manage blood sugar levels but also aid in weight loss are on the horizon. These innovative drugs could revolutionise the way Australians manage diabetes, potentially even leading to remission for some patients.

Ozempic, a pioneer in this new class of diabetes medications, was one of the first to offer dual benefits: managing blood sugar levels and reducing appetite.

This injectable drug has been a game-changer for many patients, but high demand made worse by off-prescription use has made it hard to source even for diabetics.

Thankfully, experts say even more potent medications are on the way.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 073526.png
Ozempic is used to manage type 2 diabetes. Image source: Diabetes Australia

Dr Sof Andrikopoulos, CEO of the Australian Diabetes Society, shared his optimism about the future of diabetes treatment.

'Once you get to that point when you're causing 25 per cent weight loss, you are truly managing obesity as a disease,' he said.

One such promising drug is Mounjaro. Like Ozempic, it assists with appetite suppression, but it could soon be available in a more convenient pill form.

This could be a significant advancement for patients who are uncomfortable with injections or struggle with adherence to injectable medications.

However, these cutting-edge treatments come with a hefty price tag. Patients can expect to pay up to $1,700 per course for drugs, including Ozempic.

The Australian Diabetes Society is advocating for these drugs to be subsidised, making them more accessible to the average Australian.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health and Aged Care has stated that it relies on independent advice from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee. Currently, medications can only be subsidised if recommended by this committee.

The hope is that the undeniable benefits of these new drugs will lead to their inclusion in the subsidised medications list.

While these new medications offer hope, doctors also caution patients about potential risks.

Dr Terri-Lynne South, a weight loss doctor, warned that patients who stop taking these medications could experience weight regain.

'Weight variability is a more significant risk factor for developing metabolic health conditions than we once thought,' she said.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), two in three Australian adults are now overweight, and an estimated 1.3 million are living with diabetes.

Proportion of people with diabetes by age and sex, 2022.jpg
ABS data has revealed that 1.3 million Australians are living with diabetes. Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics

However, doctors say losing just 10 per cent of your weight can significantly reduce the threat of diabetes.

In light of these breakthrough medications, the future of diabetes treatment in Australia looks promising.

'In the next five years, we will have the great potential to put Type 2 diabetes into remission,' Dr Andrikopoulos said.

Diabetes is a chronic condition that affects the body's ability to process sugar. It's characterised by high blood sugar levels that can lead to serious health complications, including heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and vision loss.

Type 2 diabetes, the most common form, is often linked to obesity. Excess weight can make it harder for the body to use insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. This is why weight management is a crucial part of diabetes care.

The new class of diabetes medications, including Ozempic and Mounjaro, offer a two-pronged approach to managing diabetes. They help control blood sugar levels and also aid in weight loss by suppressing appetite. This dual action can help patients achieve better overall health and potentially reduce the severity of their diabetes.

However, it's important to remember that these medications are not a magic bullet. They should be used as part of a comprehensive diabetes care plan that includes a healthy diet, regular physical activity, and regular monitoring of blood sugar levels.

A gastroenterologist from the University of Washington in the US made a similar case, and you might want to read more about it here.

More than that, it is very important to talk to your doctor about these medications and discuss their benefits and side effects before taking them.

Key Takeaways

• New diabetic drugs that assist with weight loss and appetite suppression may soon be available in Australia, potentially aiding patients with diabetes to enter remission.
  • One of the drugs, Mounjaro, is expected to come in pill form and could offer significant weight loss benefits for patients.
  • The Australian Diabetes Society has advocated for these drugs to be subsidised due to the high cost of current treatments like Ozempic.
  • The Health Department is dependent on recommendations from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee for subsidising medications, while doctors caution patients about the risk of weight regain after stopping these treatments.

What do you think about these new developments in diabetes care? Have you or a loved one had experience with these new medications? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
no, but I am an ex diabetic, does that count? Last time I checked, doctors don't cure diabetes, they write scripts for it.
How wonderful for you. Reading this thread, I cannot find where I said doctors cured diabetes, it does however beg the question "Did a doctor diagnose your diabetes?" and was it a dietitian who put you on the right track. I am not really interested in the answer because you are coming across as a pompous know it all and I don't really want to waste any more time on you.

How wonderful for you. Reading this thread, I cannot find where I said doctors cured diabetes, it does however beg the question "Did a doctor diagnose your diabetes?" and was it a dietitian who put you on the right track. I am not really interested in the answer because you are coming across as a pompous know it all and I don't really want to waste any more time on you.
Of course a doctor diagnosed diabetes, (look at my screen grab) and if you followed (the vast majority, though not all) dietician's advice, you wouldn't cure anything much. I put myself on the right track by reading and listening, with an open mind, not a blinkered one. 45kg later and several points lowerf in HBA1C, here I am, all pompous and healthy. I am so pompous, I'll throw some latin at you. Ad hominem attacks are pretty much a given when the other person cannot challenge the argument. Feel free to waste no more of your valuable time on me, I assure you that've I've wasted the last of mine on you.

It is interesting that all the negativity in this thread is against me personally. There's a reason for that. Attack the argument, not the messenger. Here's me, trying to help people, here are the naysayers, attacking me. Luckily, I have a thick skin, and a sense of humour. I'd need one to stay sane after reading these replies.

You didn't say that doctors cured diabetes, nor did I say you did. That is called strawman. YOU asked me if I was a doctor. I said that doctors don't cure diabetes, and since I cured mine, well... you can figure it out.

What I said was that doctors don't, because they, like most of the responders here, don't seem to understand the very simple cause of T2 (in the vast majority of cases). A doctor can't cure it, but the majority of people can, if they spend their time educating themselves instead of arguing (with someone who successfully is no longer an diabetic!) on the internet.

Anyway, this is my last response to this thread. I said what I came to say, I showed proof, and yet, people want to strawman, gaslight, and attack the messenger. Enjoy your nummy statins and diabetes medicines people, and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. byeeee