Dentist warns against brushing off this huge mistake in your tooth routine!

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is not intended as medical advice. It is recommended that readers consult their primary healthcare providers before implementing any of the suggestions outlined here.

When it comes to maintaining a healthy smile, most of us are confident that we've got our brushing routine down pat.

However, according to dental professionals, there's a good chance we're making a critical error every time we step up to the sink.

A dentist has shed light on a common blunder that could be compromising our oral health.

The mistake in question? Not flossing before brushing.

It might seem like a minor detail, but the order in which we clean our teeth can have significant implications for our dental hygiene.

Dr Minoo Ghamari, a dentist from Gorgeous Smiles in Melbourne, emphasised that flossing should always come first for two key reasons: cleanliness and the effectiveness of toothpaste.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 114036.jpg
Dr Minoo Ghamari revealed a common mistake people often make when it comes to their oral health. Credits: Instagram / Dr Minoo Ghamari & Gorgeous Smiles Team

‘By flossing first, you remove food from in between your teeth which can then be brushed away with your toothbrush, removing all the particles you've just dislodged,’ Dr Ghamari asserted.

‘Toothpaste also becomes more effective, filling in the areas where you have flossed, and cleansing them, providing you with a cleaner, fresher mouth.’

The Australian Dental Association (ADA) reports that a staggering 75 per cent—or three out of four people—rarely or never floss.

Including flossing in your dental hygiene regimen is essential as it reaches inaccessible areas.

Following flossing with fluoride toothpaste before brushing enhances the thoroughness of teeth cleaning compared to brushing prior to flossing.

Moreover, Dr Ghamari disclosed two additional lesser-known aspects regarding dental care.

While it's common to brush after meals, the dentist advised that we should actually be brushing first thing in the morning, before breakfast.

This might go against the grain of what many of us have been taught, but there's sound reasoning behind it.

‘After eating, your mouth goes into acidic mode, attacking food particles with acid to break them down more effectively. Saliva neutralises this acidity to an extent, but there are often still remnants of acid within your mouth after eating,’ Dr Ghamari explained.

‘Now, imagine you wait to brush your teeth after acid has filled your mouth. You'll be rubbing acid into your enamel, which can negatively impact its protective qualities across your teeth.’

She also advised that brushing before breakfast helps remove the bacteria that have multiplied in your mouth overnight, preventing you from ingesting them with your morning meal.

‘Your teeth carry between 1,000 and 100,000 bacteria, and these multiply every five hours. Just imagine washing all of that down with your breakfast, and no one wants that,’ she said.

Many of us have made the switch to electric toothbrushes for a more effective clean.

However, Dr Ghamari warned that using an electric toothbrush incorrectly can be just as harmful as not using one at all.

‘They are designed to be held against the tooth and gum at a 45-degree angle to do the hard task of cleaning for you,’ she pointed out.

‘If you're using an electric toothbrush the same way you'd use a manual toothbrush, you might be at risk of damaging your gums. This could even lead to gum recession in the long run.’

Recently, another dentist pointed out the importance of flossing for a different reason.

As Dr Ghamari highlighted the significant error many individuals make in their teeth-brushing routine, it's imperative to delve deeper into common brushing mistakes that could unknowingly harm dental health.

By being aware of both the proper brushing techniques emphasised by Dr Ghamari and the frequent brushing mistakes revealed by dentists, many can take proactive steps to safeguard their dental well-being, and enhance their overall oral care regimen.
Key Takeaways
  • Melbourne Dentist Dr Minoo Ghamari revealed that flossing should be done before brushing teeth to improve cleanliness and toothpaste effectiveness.
  • The Australian Dental Association found that 75 per cent of people rarely or never floss, despite it being crucial for reaching hard-to-reach areas between teeth.
  • Dr Ghamari advised brushing your teeth before breakfast to avoid rubbing acid from food into your enamel, which could damage it.
  • She also warned that using an electric toothbrush incorrectly could also harm gums, and potentially cause gum recession—it should be held at a 45-degree angle against the tooth and gum.
Have you been making this common mistake? Will you be changing your habits after learning these tips? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Using any toothbrush incorrectly can result in tooth and gum harm.

“However, Dr Ghamari warned that using an electric toothbrush incorrectly can be just as harmful as not using one at all.

‘They are designed to be held against the tooth and gum at a 45-degree angle to do the hard task of cleaning for you,’ she pointed out.”

I like my electric toothbrush. 😁

Using any toothbrush incorrectly can result in tooth and gum harm.

“However, Dr Ghamari warned that using an electric toothbrush incorrectly can be just as harmful as not using one at all.

‘They are designed to be held against the tooth and gum at a 45-degree angle to do the hard task of cleaning for you,’ she pointed out.”

I like my electric toothbrush. 😁
A new take on Mr Buzzy....

:ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
and three with perfect white teeth. I am getting over these glaring white toothy smiles. not one bit natural.

This is why I do brush and floss my pearly whites, I want to keep them that way.
If I had the opportunity, I would do the same.
However, from childhood I had a PTSD driven tooth grinding affliction. Pretty much ground them down to the nerve. So, out they came.
I would much rather have the option to look after real teeth, but it was what it was.

Reactions: DLHM
If I had the opportunity, I would do the same.
However, from childhood I had a PTSD driven tooth grinding affliction. Pretty much ground them down to the nerve. So, out they came.
I would much rather have the option to look after real teeth, but it was what it was.
Sorry to hear that Maria. Our teeth are so important to our health and wellbeing.

Reactions: MariaG