Debate sizzles after controversial change in Bunnings sausages, splitting opinions in the middle

The humble sausage sizzle at Bunnings Warehouse has long been a staple of Australian culture, as iconic as kangaroos, cricket, and the phrase 'no worries'.

For over a quarter of a century, the aroma of grilled onions and sizzling sausages has been an integral part of the weekend hardware store experience, drawing in shoppers and supporting countless community groups and charities through fundraising efforts.

However, a recent development has caused a sizzle of a different kind among the Bunnings faithful.

The hardware giant said it took a 'common sense approach' to its sausage sizzle, advocating for the use of sliced bread over bread rolls.

‘[We] encourage community groups hosting a sausage sizzle to serve sausages in slices of bread to ensure our offer is consistent as possible across all stores,’ Bunnings advised in a statement.

This seemingly innocuous preference sparked a fiery debate among fans, with opinions as divided as the bread choices themselves.

30727-photo (6).jpg
Debates sparked after Bunnings encouraged its community groups to use sliced bread instead of bread rolls when serving sausages. Credits: Bunnings

However, this did not sit well with all customers.

On a recent morning, listeners phoned into 2GB, where Ben Fordham Live host Mark Levy heard from Sandy, a listener and staunch supporter of the bread roll, saying they ‘were the much better option’.

‘The slices of bread are way too soggy when you put your mustard and onion and sauce on,’ Sandy asserted.

‘There's nothing better than a nice, crisp crunchy bread roll.’

She also contended that bread rolls provided space for an additional sausage, a capacity that a single slice of bread lacked.

‘If you want two sausages, you get to pay more and that goes back into the community,’ Sandy continued.

On the flip side, another listener, Seb, phoned in and declined to pick a side.

‘Why not both?’ he argued.

‘Give me one of each, mate.’

Bunnings, for its part, provides the essentials for the barbecue setup, including the gas bottle and marquee.

The rest, from the bread (sliced or rolled) to the sausages and drinks, is supplied by the community groups themselves, who stand to benefit from every snag sold.

Recent debates erupted over changes to the beloved tradition, stirring up controversy and sparking outcry among loyal patrons.

As discussions intensify over the future of the quintessential Aussie barbecue experience, concerns were also raised about the impact of price increases on community groups and their fundraising efforts.
Key Takeaways

• The Bunnings sausage sizzle became a subject of debate among fans, with opinions divided over the use of bread rolls versus slices.
  • Bunnings has a longstanding tradition of hosting sausage sizzles outside its stores, with proceeds often going to community groups and charities.
  • While some customers prefer bread rolls for their texture and capacity to hold more, others are content with the traditional offering of sausages in slices of bread.
  • Bunnings provides the necessary equipment for the sausage sizzles, while community groups supply the food items such as bread, sausages, and drinks.
Have you manned the grill at a Bunnings fundraiser? Do you have a secret sauce recipe that goes perfectly with either bread choice? Let's continue the conversation in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have manned Bunnings BBQs for a number of years and we always use a bread roll,as this is preferred over bread. On a number of occasions we have been told customers won't buy if on bread.
The cost of the sausage and roll and condiments are absorbed by the charity as the cost to the public is regulated by Bunnings.
Charities get their sausages and bread rolls from various places so the costs vary.

I have manned a Bunnings BBQ here in WA it seems rolls are the go , but no price increase, as an ex Victorian where its bread slices ! Rolls are the way to go , easier to have a sausage and onion does not disintegrate 😃

I would want just a slice of bread for my snag. However I know plenty of people who would rather the roll....but if you want 2 snags in it, it should be paid for. As for the community groups, perhaps the bread or rolls are donated, so accept whatever is offered.

Reactions: Kinchar
Really? What the heck is the world coming to? What is wrong with these num nuts that they have to have an arguement about a sausage on a roll? God help us

Reactions: Marj53
I have never seen bread rolls at any Bunnings sausage sizzle in Victoria - city or regional stores.
And it's probably been said - but generally the 'Bunnings' sausagle sizzles are run by community groups, such as primary schools, as fund raisers. It is those groups who supply the food and condiments etc. Bunnings supplies the site and BBQ facilities.

Reactions: Marj53 and Kinchar
These changes to the traditional 'sausage fry' have caused much controversy among Bunnings customers. Some prefer buns, arguing that sliced bread becomes too soft from sauces. Others defend the buns, pointing out the possibility of adding another sausage. However, there are those who support the idea of “both.” It is important that these changes do not hamper the fundraising efforts of community groups.

Reactions: Littleboy8
These changes to the traditional 'sausage fry' have caused much controversy among Bunnings customers. Some prefer buns, arguing that sliced bread becomes too soft from sauces. Others defend the buns, pointing out the possibility of adding another sausage. However, there are those who support the idea of “both.” It is important that these changes do not hamper the fundraising efforts of community groups.
Buns only.

I can't see why it's not left to the community groups to decide for themselves whether they have Bread or Rolls because they are the ones buying the supplies for their sausage sizzle.

Most of us Aussies should be eating less bread anyway. I also have never seen a roll at Bunnings. The kids would certainly eat the snag out of the middle and toss the roll in the rubbish.
I love my grain bread 🍞 so each to their own I ain’t cutting down for any one 😋

BUNNINGS DO CONTROL THE PRICE!

An article on SDC earlier this year confirmed this point. I too have been a volunteer on one of those sausage sizzles @ a Bunnings store here in W.A.

All operators are VOLUNTEERS & THE ONLY REWARD WE GET IS THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING WE ARE HELPING OUR CLUB OR ASSOCIATION. We may also get a sausage sizzle for our trouble, but most of us pay for this as well as volunteering our time.

ALL VOLUNTEERS WHETHER SERVING FOOD OR ORGANIZING FOOD WEAR DISPOSABLE GLOVES FOR HYGEINE.

BUNNINGS STORES IN W.A. REGULARLY HAVE THEME NIGHTS FOR MOTHER'S DAY ETC & UP TO ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO DID SERVE THEIR SNAG, ONION & SAUCE IN A BUN! They made the change to a piece of bread. (l would suggest this flowed through to the Saturday BBQ'S operated by organisations & as already mentioned, which the store kindly supplies BBQ'S, gas, shelter etc). The barbeques on theme nights were / are normally operated by volunteers from the local MEN'S SHED.