Debate sizzles after controversial change in Bunnings sausages, splitting opinions in the middle

The humble sausage sizzle at Bunnings Warehouse has long been a staple of Australian culture, as iconic as kangaroos, cricket, and the phrase 'no worries'.

For over a quarter of a century, the aroma of grilled onions and sizzling sausages has been an integral part of the weekend hardware store experience, drawing in shoppers and supporting countless community groups and charities through fundraising efforts.

However, a recent development has caused a sizzle of a different kind among the Bunnings faithful.

The hardware giant said it took a 'common sense approach' to its sausage sizzle, advocating for the use of sliced bread over bread rolls.

‘[We] encourage community groups hosting a sausage sizzle to serve sausages in slices of bread to ensure our offer is consistent as possible across all stores,’ Bunnings advised in a statement.

This seemingly innocuous preference sparked a fiery debate among fans, with opinions as divided as the bread choices themselves.

30727-photo (6).jpg
Debates sparked after Bunnings encouraged its community groups to use sliced bread instead of bread rolls when serving sausages. Credits: Bunnings

However, this did not sit well with all customers.

On a recent morning, listeners phoned into 2GB, where Ben Fordham Live host Mark Levy heard from Sandy, a listener and staunch supporter of the bread roll, saying they ‘were the much better option’.

‘The slices of bread are way too soggy when you put your mustard and onion and sauce on,’ Sandy asserted.

‘There's nothing better than a nice, crisp crunchy bread roll.’

She also contended that bread rolls provided space for an additional sausage, a capacity that a single slice of bread lacked.

‘If you want two sausages, you get to pay more and that goes back into the community,’ Sandy continued.

On the flip side, another listener, Seb, phoned in and declined to pick a side.

‘Why not both?’ he argued.

‘Give me one of each, mate.’

Bunnings, for its part, provides the essentials for the barbecue setup, including the gas bottle and marquee.

The rest, from the bread (sliced or rolled) to the sausages and drinks, is supplied by the community groups themselves, who stand to benefit from every snag sold.

Recent debates erupted over changes to the beloved tradition, stirring up controversy and sparking outcry among loyal patrons.

As discussions intensify over the future of the quintessential Aussie barbecue experience, concerns were also raised about the impact of price increases on community groups and their fundraising efforts.
Key Takeaways

• The Bunnings sausage sizzle became a subject of debate among fans, with opinions divided over the use of bread rolls versus slices.
  • Bunnings has a longstanding tradition of hosting sausage sizzles outside its stores, with proceeds often going to community groups and charities.
  • While some customers prefer bread rolls for their texture and capacity to hold more, others are content with the traditional offering of sausages in slices of bread.
  • Bunnings provides the necessary equipment for the sausage sizzles, while community groups supply the food items such as bread, sausages, and drinks.
Have you manned the grill at a Bunnings fundraiser? Do you have a secret sauce recipe that goes perfectly with either bread choice? Let's continue the conversation in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Bread rolls would add extra cost to the customers as more expensive than bread. I have helped out at a bbq As a team member at Bunnings. It is good fun. at my store we do the bbq when no charitable group is available. profits are donated to a local charity, a different group receives the funds each time we run the bbq.

Bread rolls would add extra cost to the customers as more expensive than bread. I have helped out at a bbq As a team member at Bunnings. It is good fun. at my store we do the bbq when no charitable group is available. profits are donated to a local charity, a different group receives the funds each time we run the bbq.
Bread rolls are the best.

Bread rolls must be more of a city thing I think. I've never seen rolls at any sausage sizzle in or around Bunnings Lismore or the Northern Rivers market scene. The best thing about bread is that they often have a choice of white or brown (varies between wholemeal and multigrain). I would say with rolls, it would most likely be a standard white hotdog roll with no brown option. What I would love to see is budget 'catering packs' of something like Turkish flat bread', which would be great for sausage sizzles!

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Bread rolls must be more of a city thing I think. I've never seen rolls at any sausage sizzle in or around Bunnings Lismore or the Northern Rivers market scene. The best thing about bread is that they often have a choice of white or brown (varies between wholemeal and multigrain). I would say with rolls, it would most likely be a standard white hotdog roll with no brown option. What I would love to see is budget 'catering packs' of something like Turkish flat bread', which would be great for sausage sizzles!
Turkish flatbread. Nah sorry.👎

As stated cost,bunnings control the total pricing, so if customers want bread rolls, then bunnings will have to come to the party and allow, a big price increase, which is not a good idea for charity groups, as the people work for no remuneration.
$3.50 would most likely go to $4.50/$5.00 if you have bread rolls as well.

As stated cost,bunnings control the total pricing, so if customers want bread rolls, then bunnings will have to come to the party and allow, a big price increase, which is not a good idea for charity groups, as the people work for no remuneration.
$3.50 would most likely go to $4.50/$5.00 if you have bread rolls as well.
I'll check that next time I go to Bunnings.