Dealing with ageing hair? Here are some tips that might help!

The graceful process of ageing has always been shown through the different changes to our body, and our hair turning grey or white is one of the most common signs

And it’s something to be proud of! Having a head full of luscious grey hair looks great and is a growing trend around the world. It seems that celebrities, of all ages, are dying just to achieve that perfect shade of grey for their crowning glory.

But of course, no one knows you better than you do. So if you ever decide to fully embrace your grey hair, or jump on the trend and change your hair colour, we support you either way!

That’s why in this article, we’re sharing with you a few tips from hair professionals to help you decide what’s best for you and your hair.

eXee65LCIAlKKWtrsOPktzZQPX9-e8XGfUfvuSD472yqX2jIoUHhAu9bRB_GQGz7jJ1aZrP8IJiytKVyuEQZIKbDoxIsNlpQIGQ80vcg-iRJ8r2fU4RY493l-0Je8F3P7ihwnSGp

Hair naturally changes in colour and texture over time. Credit: YourLifeChoices.

Find your perfect shade.

According to Nick Willis, master stylist at Charles Worthington Salons, one of the biggest mistakes a person can make for their hair is choosing the wrong hair colour for their skin tone.

“As we age, our complexion evolves and we tend to lose pigment, known as melanocytes; this can make us look less radiant if we are choosing the wrong hair tones.”

He recommends using a purple shampoo to make grey hair look fresher and brighter, therefore lightening our complexion as well.

Choose the right length and style for maximum confidence.

Mr Willis said that choosing the right length for your hair greatly helps in making a person look less old.

He recommends longer haircuts, which are around mid to long length, for women. “With the right shape and layering techniques, you will have movement and volume, both huge factors in looking and feeling younger.”

On the other hand, Sam Hillerby, a stylist at John Frieda Salons, said that going for more off the top can make a person look fabulous too, just like Helen Mirren or Judy Dench. He suggests adding choppy layers to add texture and volume for a more youthful look.

They also added that consulting with your personal hairdresser about the style that flatters your face shape and hair texture the most is still the best way to go when deciding on a haircut.

Hairstylist Paco Latorre highlighted that what matters the most is that your hair matches your personality.

Take care of your hair health.

“Like we take care of our skin and face, we have to do the same with our hair,” said Mr Latorre.

According to them, shiny and well-moisturised hair makes a person look younger. They recommended asking for moisturising treatments from your local salon on your next visit. At home, they suggested using less shampoo and more conditioner during a shower.

“Also, be gentle with your tresses to avoid damage: don’t use an excess of thermal tools, and avoid pulling your hair too tight,” they added.

If you’re still undecided on what to do with your hair, here are some suggestions!

Credit: Haircuts and Hairstyle 2022.

Have you changed your hair in the past few years? What are some of your “hair care routines”?

Share them with us in the comments below! You’ll never know, other members might find them useful.

Sponsored
The most ageing 'look' I can think of, and I unfortunately often see it here in semi-rural QLD, is a funky colour home-job that is growing out!

Reactions: Yanellio and Ricci
I used to colour my hair then I noticed I was starting to loose my hair colour around 60 I let the colour grow out and my “natural” colour was white. I never coloured my hair again. I use a purple shampoo and am very happy with my pure white hair.

I have recently colored my hair at the age of 76yrs. From dull brown with white and grey dry frizzy patches to red with hints of caramel. It matches my pale complexion with lots of freckles and all my family and friends love it. I have a new lease on life.

I have recently colored my hair at the age of 76yrs. From dull brown with white and grey dry frizzy patches to red with hints of caramel. It matches my pale complexion with lots of freckles and all my family and friends love it. I have a new lease on life.
Good to hear that you feel like a shining new penny, @AussieMeg, keep it up!

Reactions: Ricci and Yanellio
I'm a true blue blonde & dyed my hair once when I was 16 and my hair went a darker shade after the dye grew out, have never dyed my entire hair since, did get peacock colour in the ends a few yrs back which was very pretty. One of the goals on my bucket list is to have hair length long enough to sit on so haven't cut my hair in nearly 6yrs now, hopfully in another 6yrs it will be that long LOL

I'm a true blue blonde & dyed my hair once when I was 16 and my hair went a darker shade after the dye grew out, have never dyed my entire hair since, did get peacock colour in the ends a few yrs back which was very pretty. One of the goals on my bucket list is to have hair length long enough to sit on so haven't cut my hair in nearly 6yrs now, hopfully in another 6yrs it will be that long LOL
You'll have to send us a photo @PepeLePew - now and again in 2028!

Reactions: Ricci
Hair aging is a natural process that cannot be stopped. But you can slow it down. I have always carefully monitored the condition of my hair and bought various balms and special shampoos for my hair. But because of heredity, I became bald at the age of 39. I couldn't get used to having no hair, so I decided to have hair transplant surgery. I found an amazing clinic, namely https://www.hairtransplantinstitute.ca/, and contacted them. They did all the necessary research and scheduled my surgery day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci