Female celebrities who are rocking their grey hair

For many women, daring not to dye is a big no-no. However, recently more and more celebrities are proudly showing off their natural colour.

Hairdressers also recommend the best way to make yourself look and feel younger is by embracing your natural colour and pairing it with a shorter haircut or a chin-grazing bob.

And if you’re still undecided, why don’t you take a look at some of these Hollywood stars who look amazing as they embrace their natural colour.

Helen Mirren

First on the list is the queen of the grey mane herself, Helen Mirren.

“I have very fine hair, so I've always been quite careful not to overtreat it. I don't normally colour or dye it; I like it to grow naturally,” the 76-year-old actress once said.

“I think women were just so terrified of having white or grey hair because it immediately puts them into a different category,” she added.

“And, of course, you are in that age group. I'm sorry, but you are! So, why not just embrace it, go along with it and welcome it? Make it a positive thing as opposed to a negative thing.”

yB-BK1l7PVbIfdgwUqaVcNTMhx7FelWmiD9AZKo2XfUkOgO-oHN-f0nHATZ9sWJwF0VverOum1kywe7oPeqScLokqm7uOiOBsd31epV5wk0_OfCUqfe1fwIppR_M7dE8EViH9zBK

Photo credit: Are Media Pty Ltd.

Samantha Armytage

“I AM going grey; that’s what happens when you're lucky enough to get older,” the star wrote on social media, after fans pointed out that the TV personality was letting a few grey hairs peek.

Though, Sam also said that she's still paying her hairstylist a fortune to make her blonde.

The 45-year-old celebrity also expressed her support for all women who choose to embrace a full head of grey hair.

“How brave it is these days when a woman in the public eye allows a real wrinkle to poke through, or even some greys,” she said.

BHjOutvXrLLMUL482Kh0FmgYT3FlpQZhMwvH9DzfjBT8ioUVMR_mdmg53k5yFme11VD7ouegI_ELuJoPJpxiB5_rGH9YXvETt7xkX_v3DSY2H8613r1FatBc6nfaS2LyFaUzWsmL

Photo credit: Domain.

Sarah Jessica Parker

When Sarah started letting her grey hairs shine through, the 56-year-old celebrity was accused of purposefully looking ‘old’ by some critics.

“There's so much misogynist chatter in response to us that would never. Happen. About. A. Man,” the star clapped back, addressing the double standards around embracing grey hairs.

“‘Grey hair, grey hair, grey hair. Does she have grey hair?' I'm sitting with Andy Cohen, and he has a full head of grey hair, and he's exquisite. Why is it okay for him?”

zLKJzVhZiO3dqsSxCHdwBx_gGTYwy42AfsQ4DUhN3HvYa9j4V6I5gNL3MgIJvm83rveexeC5Y00iH5fVgFXYlCwt2ikanKU2GvcQwKqyQSmD3j_JiPBB5aa8eTeQsXprkKrQtRaZ

Photo credit: Mind Life TV.

Meryl Streep

The 72-year-old actress welcomed the change when her naturally fair hair transitioned to grey a few years ago.

Although, she admitted that she used to struggle with fears of aging when she was in her 30s and 40s, having seen so many actresses' careers end at 40.

“I remember as I was hovering around 40, I thought each movie would be my last, really,” said Meryl.

“And all the evidence of other 40-year-old women at that time – this is 27 years ago – would lead you to believe it was over.”

Fortunately, Meryl has totally proven that's not the case anymore!

kQJgfDLry4v-benP5R5gI4IVSf0eA2RM0L7BYy4uEaRceBlZMVd6RtqW5w7Pg7CvL4nMBMyCo7BWsC3mTPlILfzqyKG6H7b2pvs5A-cUZQ4Mw5v_KO-Kz8agQZX9q2Rqd1WWjQUa

Glenn Close

The 74-year-old actress has been rocking the short, icy, pixie cut for years now, and has also spoken up before about the ongoing ageism issue in Hollywood and how powerful she feels as an older woman.

“It's kind of ironic that older women are discriminated against in Hollywood because we're at the peak of our power. We really are,” said Ms Close.

“The advent of cable, and all the other places where people can express themselves, will hopefully be helpful for women because there will be more places to find the money for their projects.”

fajotWlNTLjOuoxynr_ohe4cpSib4Wbuzb7SM7Mk2rBZLs1t9xahTRwwSA2dUQPM_dvhPIs_YR0uPdKfHq_TI6z_Kl_41Pd1jsJJm7sVWnHIrrZwrDCmz6vBHd5XNHG8VteRcusy

Emma Thompson

Emma started embracing her grey hair back in 2018 and has been rocking the fresh look ever since.

“I've never felt so powerful and so calm. I just don't care, because I'm too old,” said the 62-year-old actress who talked about feeling more empowered as she gets older.

“It's such a great feeling. You don't get to judge me. I'm my own person; I don't care what you think.”

1E76BIVUHOW5beb8mudGXYFtIK4nM8qTi4t-wCFixcoyguCWGPrKwh4gsK5psitu0EGWlI4liY3sg1NKHQgFhdsuVwu3BBFxy9hXzQ8IOUwB4zZ-22CwKcqg1kkDPaLrEtz425jw

Jamie Lee Curtis

Among the roster of Hollywood’s older female celebrities, Ms Curtis is one of the few who has been letting her natural silver hairs show through for years now, inspiring many other women in the process.

The 63-year-old actress recalled the moment she embraced the grey, saying: “The epiphany came when I was sitting in a hair salon thinking, 'What the f- am I doing putting a chemical on my head that burns?’”

She also spoke up about the pressure society puts on women to cover up their greys or otherwise change their appearance to meet beauty standards.

pF_o56ut7484G4e_z9-Qc7bV7_WBQgh03PZduxrGdYWP7BvdgITff9SJwmmjEFOnxanuJjYm4O3UZ8BnupXdPP8HsV9OYGL5o9yAz0WWXFslpvjftkwRrMpXlpRvbZL0UrexWzgy

Dame Judi Dench

One of the greatest actresses in British history has been rocking grey hair for years now, proving to everyone that they can be glamorous at any age with any hair colour.

Judi Dench previously talked about how ageism is such a big and awful deal for women, especially in the entertainment industry.

“It's the rudest word in my dictionary, 'retire'. And 'old' is another one. I don't allow that in my house. And being called 'vintage',” said the 87-year-old star.

“I don't want any of those old words. I like 'enthusiastic', and I like the word 'cut' because that means you've finished the shot.”

fNLWczPFj17XKr97cUSZk4uX6x2k5kL6Ag87ndSQAmKsR-xosAMNzdPadZImEmGA9rf60Of-5387FROBlVsf0Ukse2w3VUKITTkHY1GjTWKFTERgr8rMpXlBpEkXwOICgbOzqGL2

Looking and feeling great should never be dependent on one’s hair colour. Whether you've decided to go lighter gradually, or have allowed some natural highlights to shine through, or have even stopped dying your hair altogether, all of us here at SDC support you and applaud you for your choice!

Sponsored
Be proud of who we are, ladies.
We don't have to be anything we are not.
Remember the "blue" tint we used to call 'menopause blue' in the 1960s and 1970s.
Nurses used to dye older ladies' hair on a Sunday using a dash of mechurochrome to give a pink tint or gentian violet to give a mauve tint in the rinse water when washing the hair of long-stay patients!

Last edited:
Several years ago when I was in my late 50's and staring to let a few greys through, a woman in her mid 70's told me I MUST continue to dye my hair or I would lose my husband! She was still colouring her hair a rather obvious unnatural shade and said she would never stop. She was horrified when I said I knew my husband would still love me no matter what colour hair was. It was sad that she was so insecure in her own relationship. I am now in my middle 60's, completely grey and my husband definitely isn't going anywhere!! My mother also coloured her hair well into her 80's - but has finally stopped now she is in her mid 90's....Maybe it's an "older" generation thing?

Reactions: Ricci
I am still colouring my hair albeit a slightly ligher shade. The grey coming through is salt/pepper and I hate it on "me". If I could go a lovely all white shade I would. Some women look great but I find on some of the younger ones it does not look good but it is all up to each person how they perceive it. Up to our own choice.

The best thing I ever did was stop colouring my hair about 2 years ago. The grey suits me and my scalp now finally feels and looks healthy. It looks as if it is streaked. I get a lot of comments on how great it looks, even from my hairdresser who thought that I would cave in and start recolouring again. I am about to turn 70 shortly. My husband has been very supportive and loves the natural look.

I think going grey depends on the colour grey you go. My Auntie has beautiful white grey hair but my Mum had the dark, mottled grey. I'll be avoiding going grey for many years to come.

Reactions: Ricci
Be proud of who we are, ladies.
We don't have to be anything we are not.
Remember the "blue" tint we used to call 'menopause blue' in the 1960s and 1970s.
Nurses used to dye older ladies' hair on a Sunday using a dash of mechurochrome to give a pink tint or gentian violet to give a mauve tint in the rinse water when washing the hair of long-stay patients!
Ladies with really pale skin and white (rather than grey) hair, really benefit from that drop of colour...that hint of pink or mauve or blue....and its all coming back into fashion (things always come around again..) 😀😀