David Koch explains why younger Aussies have ‘short end of the stick’ in housing market

David Koch, the former Sunrise host and current economic director for comparison website Compare the Market, has pointed out something older Australiansmay not want to hear.

He has explained that younger Australians bear the brunt of soaring interest rates and inflation while their older counterparts remain largely unaffected.

The Australian housing market has been a hot topic of discussion for years, with prices skyrocketing and making it increasingly difficult for younger generations to enter the property market.

This issue has been exacerbated by the recent rise in interest rates, which according to Koch, has hit young borrowers the hardest.

home-financehusband-wife-discussing-paper-bill-receipt-together-with-stress-confused-feeling-w...jpg
It has been reported that younger generations have a hard time buying homes. Credit: Freepik

According to data from Compare the Market, homeowners who purchased property at the peak of the market in early 2022 are now finding themselves in a worse financial position each month compared to those who bought it three years earlier.

For instance, a Sydney homebuyer who purchased a property at the average price of $1.12 million in February 2022 and locked in a fixed rate of 2.2 per cent would now face minimum monthly repayments of $2,247 more than their current payment.

In contrast, homeowners who bought at the median price of about $780,000 in April 2019 on the same fixed rate have seen their repayments rise just $1,576 a month.

This means they are better off by $671 every month, or a total of $8,052 a year.

Furthermore, those who bought before the pandemic have benefited from a rise in equity as property prices have significantly increased over the past four years.

Koch has described this situation as a 'tough pill' for young Aussies who have not had time to save up.

'If you bought your home in early 2022 under the pretence that interest rates would stay low for longer, you've now been lumped with the short end of the stick,' Koch said.

'Meanwhile, a lot of mature Australians have missed this pain altogether after selling their properties at the peak and having reaped the benefits over more equity for years.’

'A lot of mature Australians have been shielded from the rate rises, and it's already widely believed that their spending drove inflation.'

A 2023 report from CommBank iQ found that spending among Australians aged over 35 appears to be fuelling Australia's inflation crisis as younger generations are forced to cut back on essentials.

Older generations were said to be going on holidays and dining out more often.

On the other hand, young Aussies were battling higher rents and mortgage repayments, reducing their spending to cope with the worst cost of living crisis in a generation.

Younger Aussies, particularly those aged 25 to 29, reportedly reduced their yearly spending.

woman-showing-with-one-hand-mini-house-real-state-concept-ai-generative.jpg
Koch describes the current situation as a ‘tough pill’ for young Aussies. Credit: Freepik

Koch said, ‘It's time policy-makers should be asking: how could the pressure be more evenly spread?’

Many older homeowners have stressed that interest rates for home loans back then weren't as tough when looking at history.

In the late 1980s to early 1990s, home loan rates were a high 17 per cent, but today's variable rates are lower at six per cent.

They argued that the sacrifices young adults make now are incomparable to what they and past generations had to do.

However, Koch said new homebuyers are in a tougher spot than before.

For him, house prices had gone way up compared to what people earn, and this was happening faster than wages were growing.

'Back in the 80s, the average cost of an Aussie house was $70,000, now it's $700,000—ten times more expensive,' he said.

He explained that in the 1980s, the average salary was $19,000. In 2023, it was $94,000.

'So in the 80s, the price of a house was four times the average person's income,' he said.

'In 2023, it's eight times the average Aussie salary.'

He has also urged mortgage holders with higher repayments to call their banks and explore whether refinancing to a lower-rate loan is possible.

‘We urge people in mortgage pain to reduce the interest on their repayments as much as possible by shopping around for a better deal,' Koch said.

'When every dollar counts, 2024 should be the year of the new lender.'

The struggles of young Australians in the housing market are real and palpable.

Mira Almasri, a 35-year-old single mother, rents a one-bedroom apartment with her two children, aged nine and 14 in Mosman on Sydney's well-heeled north shore for $600 a week.

She has given up all hope of owning a Sydney home, stating, 'It's impossible to buy in Sydney.'

'Even if you earn loads of money, it's still hard. All my friends who have bought houses in the last two years say they are not happy at all because they are paying high-interest rates.'

Jacob Burrows, 22, an electrician from Perth, Western Australia, hopes to buy a property within the next 12 months despite interest rates being at their highest since 2012.

He has done a lot of research, including reading a book about a man who owned 30 properties by the age of 30.

However, he acknowledged that 'it's fairly hard at the moment because everything is so expensive’.

‘A couple of years ago, I wanted to try and understand the market to appreciate what's involved in buying a house,’ Burrows added.

‘I spent a year or so learning the housing market, and now I'm going to try to look for cheaper houses instead of buying one big one so that I can have a smaller deposit.'

Still, it’s not all rosy for older Australians.

On the other side of the spectrum, a report by Ageing in a Housing Crisis showed that having safe, secure, and affordable housing for older people has become increasingly difficult.

More older people also lived in marginal housing, as analysed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics census data and homelessness estimates.

The increase in housing costs, declining rates of home ownership, carrying mortgage debt into retirement, uncertainty in private rental arrangements, and the worsening shortage of social housing all indicate a widespread problem of housing insecurity.

This issue of insecure or unstable housing impacts people of all age groups. However, for older individuals, the challenges are exacerbated by factors such as limited income-earning potential, growing frailty, illness, caring responsibilities, an increasing need for at-home support, and age-related discrimination.
Key Takeaways

• David Koch delivered a stark message to older generations, pointing out how young Australians face struggles due to high interest rates and inflation.
  • Research by Compare the Market indicates that recent homebuyers who purchased at market peak are financially worse off than those who bought homes several years prior.
  • Older Australian homeowners have generally been cushioned from recent rate rises, having benefitted from increased property equity.
  • Koch suggested that policymakers should consider ways to distribute economic pressures more equitably across generations.
Members, what are your thoughts on this issue? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Because the fixer uppers are around the million mark, depending upon where you live and work.
My first home was in the country.
I travelled 4 hours of round trip every day to work. That move set us up, it was only a 2x1, our friends thought we were mad. Most of them were still renting and saving, when we had left Victoria, moved to WA where we were able to pay cash to build a new home because our home had increased in value and houses were so much cheaper in WA.
How many young people are prepared to move to the country, settle for an older house and work up from there these days.
We have recently put our country rental, 4x1 on the market. 100% improvement on the one we started with, only $229,500, but I'll bet no young couple will buy it, wouldn't be good enough for them.

My first home was in the country.
I travelled 4 hours of round trip every day to work. That move set us up, it was only a 2x1, our friends thought we were mad. Most of them were still renting and saving, when we had left Victoria, moved to WA where we were able to pay cash to build a new home because our home had increased in value and houses were so much cheaper in WA.
How many young people are prepared to move to the country, settle for an older house and work up from there these days.
We have recently put our country rental, 4x1 on the market. 100% improvement on the one we started with, only $229,500, but I'll bet no young couple will buy it, wouldn't be good enough for them.
I think that depends on what employment opportunities are available. No point buying a cheap house if you can't get work.

Reactions: Rob44
Because the fixer uppers are around the million mark, depending upon where you live and work.
The times when people could opt for location/city/town to live in have gone (especially if your preference is Sydney/Melbourne or Brisbane).

First home buyers today need to be work flexible and need to relocate to places where home prices are affordable.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I think that depends on what employment opportunities are available. No point buying a cheap house if you can't get work.
Has been four jobs advertised recently, CEO for the council, office job for the council, practice nurse for the surgery, head gardener for the council, also cleaner for the school.
Quite often the local co-op has full and part/casual positions.
It's only one and a half hours to a large metro town, for those prepared to travel.
Compromises are sometimes required if you want to get somewhere in this word.

Has been four jobs advertised recently, CEO for the council, office job for the council, practice nurse for the surgery, head gardener for the council, also cleaner for the school.
Quite often the local co-op has full and part/casual positions.
It's only one and a half hours to a large metro town, for those prepared to travel.
Compromises are sometimes required if you want to get somewhere in this word.
Yes, but that is a handful of jobs - not significant enough opportunities for the overall numbers.

The first home buyers now are mostly well educated and preparing to start a family. High performing schools and real estate is an investment in future wealth. They will be self funded retirees. A different world now. Have yet to meet a school border who was happy to be a border. But some have gone back to the country with higher education and smarter business ways of agriculture.

In our day we were content to have smaller homes. Three bedroom, one bathroom, one lounge and a dining area often part of the kitchen. We also made do with second hand furniture We watched our spending. No credit cards.

Reactions: Rob44 and Annna
Hummmm.
Jacob Burrows (the electrician) is on the right track. Younger people should buy a cheapie to start with (even if it’s in the country - where houses can be cheaper). Then, rent it out and work hard to make extra payments to build up the equity. Then sell & upgrade a little.
I think David Koch is pushing his own barrow a bit - suggesting people use the Compare The Market to get a better interest rate.
Anyway, when we started out, we had a first mortgage at 17% interest on a modest home (with 2 bedrooms, a shower (no bath) & toilet (no ensuite) no media room, no pool, no “open plan living” a single garage with a laundry in it…, As well as this, we had investment loan for a run-down fibro home at 17% interest. We both worked 2 jobs to get ahead, we shared cars to get to work (ortook a bus). No eating out and no holidays. Our first overseas holiday was in our late 50s.
Sorry to say, the younger generation (with the sense of entitlement) need their SUV (not public transport), sometimes a second car too, they want the media room, the ensuite, the double LUG, and all the bells & whistles...
I somewhat take offence at the notion that our (older) generation caused the current “difficulties” the younger generation is enduring.
My observation is that much of the younger generation want everything, they want it now and are unwilling to make sacrifices to get it.
Your comments are so true ,,

Reactions: Annna
No-one is saying the older generation caused it - it is the cycle. Real Estate generally expects to double its value every 15 or so years and often does in growth areas. What I have seen is the city suburbs that were generally considered ‘old money’ of the 60s and 70s have just become older, well-build homes that are in need of Renos and the demographics just became older and unable to maintain them when they became pensioners. The land was generally larger parcels hence small lot subdivisions came into play. That generation downsized or went into retirement living and their properties were subdivided by the next generation and, where possible, the old house was kept and renovated and the balance parcel of land sold off to pay costs for the upgrades to older house. This is what makes the world go around because of the increased population. Nothing wrong with making money on real estate investments - it is the point of the exercise.

Reactions: Rob44
More senior bashing!
This man purports to be an expert, so he should know better than to try and blame senior citizens fr the abysmal state of housing today.
I do sympathise to a degree with younger people.
However, when my late husband and I started out back in Scotland in the early 60s we started with a small one bedroom flat, and progressed to a maisonette, and then to a house. This was done in stages as we could afford it.
There were no concessions for kindergarten fees, family tax benefits, etc. We received family allowance of approximately $3 a week. We put this in a bank account for our son.
When we came to Australia we were able to buy a house outright.
I think one of the problems today is that people want everything immediately and go into huge amounts of debt to feed that want.
Perhaps if they lowered their expectations a bit it would not be so difficult to get into the property market.
I also think banks, big business, the Treasury, the economy, all have a very large role to play in this.

Hummmm.
Jacob Burrows (the electrician) is on the right track. Younger people should buy a cheapie to start with (even if it’s in the country - where houses can be cheaper). Then, rent it out and work hard to make extra payments to build up the equity. Then sell & upgrade a little.
I think David Koch is pushing his own barrow a bit - suggesting people use the Compare The Market to get a better interest rate.
Anyway, when we started out, we had a first mortgage at 17% interest on a modest home (with 2 bedrooms, a shower (no bath) & toilet (no ensuite) no media room, no pool, no “open plan living” a single garage with a laundry in it…, As well as this, we had investment loan for a run-down fibro home at 17% interest. We both worked 2 jobs to get ahead, we shared cars to get to work (ortook a bus). No eating out and no holidays. Our first overseas holiday was in our late 50s.
Sorry to say, the younger generation (with the sense of entitlement) need their SUV (not public transport), sometimes a second car too, they want the media room, the ensuite, the double LUG, and all the bells & whistles...
I somewhat take offence at the notion that our (older) generation caused the current “difficulties” the younger generation is enduring.
My observation is that much of the younger generation want everything, they want it now and are unwilling to make sacrifices to get it.
Totally totally agree - my first home was a 1 1/2 bedder shack which did for my son & myself - no parenting payments etc,, husband did not pay his $12 per week maintenance for his son. Did it the hard way and worked full time. Kept upsizing over the years until now - now I need to downsize as 4 BR home is too big to rattle around in by myself! No holidays, no trips until 7 years ago at age 63. Do not have the latest phone, no coffee on the run, no expensive lunches etc etc. If the younger generation choose to waste their money - good luck to them and paying rent for the rest of their days.

Reactions: BenV and Rob44
David Koch, the former Sunrise host and current economic director for comparison website Compare the Market, has pointed out something older Australiansmay not want to hear.

He has explained that younger Australians bear the brunt of soaring interest rates and inflation while their older counterparts remain largely unaffected.

The Australian housing market has been a hot topic of discussion for years, with prices skyrocketing and making it increasingly difficult for younger generations to enter the property market.

This issue has been exacerbated by the recent rise in interest rates, which according to Koch, has hit young borrowers the hardest.

View attachment 38953
It has been reported that younger generations have a hard time buying homes. Credit: Freepik

According to data from Compare the Market, homeowners who purchased property at the peak of the market in early 2022 are now finding themselves in a worse financial position each month compared to those who bought it three years earlier.

For instance, a Sydney homebuyer who purchased a property at the average price of $1.12 million in February 2022 and locked in a fixed rate of 2.2 per cent would now face minimum monthly repayments of $2,247 more than their current payment.

In contrast, homeowners who bought at the median price of about $780,000 in April 2019 on the same fixed rate have seen their repayments rise just $1,576 a month.

This means they are better off by $671 every month, or a total of $8,052 a year.

Furthermore, those who bought before the pandemic have benefited from a rise in equity as property prices have significantly increased over the past four years.

Koch has described this situation as a 'tough pill' for young Aussies who have not had time to save up.

'If you bought your home in early 2022 under the pretence that interest rates would stay low for longer, you've now been lumped with the short end of the stick,' Koch said.

'Meanwhile, a lot of mature Australians have missed this pain altogether after selling their properties at the peak and having reaped the benefits over more equity for years.’

'A lot of mature Australians have been shielded from the rate rises, and it's already widely believed that their spending drove inflation.'

A 2023 report from CommBank iQ found that spending among Australians aged over 35 appears to be fuelling Australia's inflation crisis as younger generations are forced to cut back on essentials.

Older generations were said to be going on holidays and dining out more often.

On the other hand, young Aussies were battling higher rents and mortgage repayments, reducing their spending to cope with the worst cost of living crisis in a generation.

Younger Aussies, particularly those aged 25 to 29, reportedly reduced their yearly spending.

View attachment 38954
Koch describes the current situation as a ‘tough pill’ for young Aussies. Credit: Freepik

Koch said, ‘It's time policy-makers should be asking: how could the pressure be more evenly spread?’

Many older homeowners have stressed that interest rates for home loans back then weren't as tough when looking at history.

In the late 1980s to early 1990s, home loan rates were a high 17 per cent, but today's variable rates are lower at six per cent.

They argued that the sacrifices young adults make now are incomparable to what they and past generations had to do.

However, Koch said new homebuyers are in a tougher spot than before.

For him, house prices had gone way up compared to what people earn, and this was happening faster than wages were growing.

'Back in the 80s, the average cost of an Aussie house was $70,000, now it's $700,000—ten times more expensive,' he said.

He explained that in the 1980s, the average salary was $19,000. In 2023, it was $94,000.

'So in the 80s, the price of a house was four times the average person's income,' he said.

'In 2023, it's eight times the average Aussie salary.'

He has also urged mortgage holders with higher repayments to call their banks and explore whether refinancing to a lower-rate loan is possible.

‘We urge people in mortgage pain to reduce the interest on their repayments as much as possible by shopping around for a better deal,' Koch said.

'When every dollar counts, 2024 should be the year of the new lender.'

The struggles of young Australians in the housing market are real and palpable.

Mira Almasri, a 35-year-old single mother, rents a one-bedroom apartment with her two children, aged nine and 14 in Mosman on Sydney's well-heeled north shore for $600 a week.

She has given up all hope of owning a Sydney home, stating, 'It's impossible to buy in Sydney.'

'Even if you earn loads of money, it's still hard. All my friends who have bought houses in the last two years say they are not happy at all because they are paying high-interest rates.'

Jacob Burrows, 22, an electrician from Perth, Western Australia, hopes to buy a property within the next 12 months despite interest rates being at their highest since 2012.

He has done a lot of research, including reading a book about a man who owned 30 properties by the age of 30.

However, he acknowledged that 'it's fairly hard at the moment because everything is so expensive’.

‘A couple of years ago, I wanted to try and understand the market to appreciate what's involved in buying a house,’ Burrows added.

‘I spent a year or so learning the housing market, and now I'm going to try to look for cheaper houses instead of buying one big one so that I can have a smaller deposit.'

Still, it’s not all rosy for older Australians.

On the other side of the spectrum, a report by Ageing in a Housing Crisis showed that having safe, secure, and affordable housing for older people has become increasingly difficult.

More older people also lived in marginal housing, as analysed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics census data and homelessness estimates.

The increase in housing costs, declining rates of home ownership, carrying mortgage debt into retirement, uncertainty in private rental arrangements, and the worsening shortage of social housing all indicate a widespread problem of housing insecurity.

This issue of insecure or unstable housing impacts people of all age groups. However, for older individuals, the challenges are exacerbated by factors such as limited income-earning potential, growing frailty, illness, caring responsibilities, an increasing need for at-home support, and age-related discrimination.
Key Takeaways

• David Koch delivered a stark message to older generations, pointing out how young Australians face struggles due to high interest rates and inflation.
  • Research by Compare the Market indicates that recent homebuyers who purchased at market peak are financially worse off than those who bought homes several years prior.
  • Older Australian homeowners have generally been cushioned from recent rate rises, having benefitted from increased property equity.
  • Koch suggested that policymakers should consider ways to distribute economic pressures more equitably across generations.
Members, what are your thoughts on this issue? Share them with us in the comments below.
My parents had to fight a war for 6 years before they could afford to rent a rat-infested room when dad was let out of military hospital. 15 years later they could afford to buy a mortgage on a 3BR semi-detached house. Me? I had it easy; only 8 years renting before dad lent me some money to buy a cheap run-down house in NZ.; I couldn't get a bank loan as I has neither a recognised permanent job nor a 30% deposit for a mortgage on a $25 000 house. Then when I got to Oz I found that the interest rates on my mortgage here were around 12-14% until Keating got them cranked up to 19%.

I'll grant now that house prices now are ridiculous, especially in our major cities; that jump seemed to happen during the onset of the Covid-19 endemic epidemic when "covid refugees "were trying to escape our not overly crowded sprawling cities. It is not helped by the abject failure of every Federal Government since Bob Hawke to have built enough "social housing" to keep up with what has been a clear and growing need, but we all want tax cuts, don't we? When I lived in the UK every government until Thatcher was building around 200 000 council houses per year. As for Australia; an asset-rich country that has to have food-banks to feed to the less well off is bloody pathetic. But the we like our tax-cuts, don't we?

More senior bashing!
This man purports to be an expert, so he should know better than to try and blame senior citizens fr the abysmal state of housing today.
I do sympathise to a degree with younger people.
However, when my late husband and I started out back in Scotland in the early 60s we started with a small one bedroom flat, and progressed to a maisonette, and then to a house. This was done in stages as we could afford it.
There were no concessions for kindergarten fees, family tax benefits, etc. We received family allowance of approximately $3 a week. We put this in a bank account for our son.
When we came to Australia we were able to buy a house outright.
I think one of the problems today is that people want everything immediately and go into huge amounts of debt to feed that want.
Perhaps if they lowered their expectations a bit it would not be so difficult to get into the property market.
I also think banks, big business, the Treasury, the economy, all have a very large role to play in this.
When I was a little tyke, I went to "nursery school" ( i.e. kindergarten in modern parlance) before Primary school. I understand that was run by the Local Education Authority and was paid for via government. Just asking to learn when things changed.

The first home buyers now are mostly well educated and preparing to start a family. High performing schools and real estate is an investment in future wealth. They will be self funded retirees. A different world now. Have yet to meet a school border who was happy to be a border. But some have gone back to the country with higher education and smarter business ways of agriculture.
This old codger is a self-funded retiree and I have expected to be nothing less since Keating began the means-testing of the Old Age Pension and started Australia on the privatisation trail pioneered the by that very nasty Pommie PM, the socially callous Maggie Thatcher.

Spot on and agree with you
Back in the 17% interest days, around 1988, "under $50 000" was a good wage. The official poverty line wage was about $26 000, today's Old Age Pension for a single person.

T

The older generation didn't try and get into the housing market with 4bedroom 3-bathroom houses. I started with 2 bedrooms i bath but then i was on a wage of $150 a week. Ave house price then was $50000. my house was $26000 a 17% interest loan.
A wage of $7800 per year in around 1987-88?

Nothing is free. It is all paid for by the taxpayer!
Who wants nothing less than a tax-free existence. Taxes are a way of sharing a social burden to the benefit of all, as long as the politicians don't steal them for their "little mates".

No there isn't a pension fund in Oz, that's the point. There was, but not anymore.
When the age pension was first introduced a pension fund was set up, which you paid into thru taxation.
The pollies decided to raid it, couldn't stand seeing all that money sitting there that they couldn't get it their greedy mitts on, so they abolished the funds and put the funds into general revenue.
That additional taxation has never been removed so we're still paying it.
Had that fund been left alone we could probably now have a pension system like NZ and everybody would get an aged pension and you could still earn as much as you like without your pension being effected. You would only have to pay tax on the earnings.
In the UK we had a National Insurance Scheme into which we paid a certain amount from wages each week and our employer also ppaid some on our behalf. It kept the Old Age Pension, the NHS Health Fund and the dole money out of the general revenue system for the benefit of those who need to use those systems. That was before Thatcher began the privatisation rot.