David Koch explains why younger Aussies have ‘short end of the stick’ in housing market

David Koch, the former Sunrise host and current economic director for comparison website Compare the Market, has pointed out something older Australiansmay not want to hear.

He has explained that younger Australians bear the brunt of soaring interest rates and inflation while their older counterparts remain largely unaffected.

The Australian housing market has been a hot topic of discussion for years, with prices skyrocketing and making it increasingly difficult for younger generations to enter the property market.

This issue has been exacerbated by the recent rise in interest rates, which according to Koch, has hit young borrowers the hardest.

home-financehusband-wife-discussing-paper-bill-receipt-together-with-stress-confused-feeling-w...jpg
It has been reported that younger generations have a hard time buying homes. Credit: Freepik

According to data from Compare the Market, homeowners who purchased property at the peak of the market in early 2022 are now finding themselves in a worse financial position each month compared to those who bought it three years earlier.

For instance, a Sydney homebuyer who purchased a property at the average price of $1.12 million in February 2022 and locked in a fixed rate of 2.2 per cent would now face minimum monthly repayments of $2,247 more than their current payment.

In contrast, homeowners who bought at the median price of about $780,000 in April 2019 on the same fixed rate have seen their repayments rise just $1,576 a month.

This means they are better off by $671 every month, or a total of $8,052 a year.

Furthermore, those who bought before the pandemic have benefited from a rise in equity as property prices have significantly increased over the past four years.

Koch has described this situation as a 'tough pill' for young Aussies who have not had time to save up.

'If you bought your home in early 2022 under the pretence that interest rates would stay low for longer, you've now been lumped with the short end of the stick,' Koch said.

'Meanwhile, a lot of mature Australians have missed this pain altogether after selling their properties at the peak and having reaped the benefits over more equity for years.’

'A lot of mature Australians have been shielded from the rate rises, and it's already widely believed that their spending drove inflation.'

A 2023 report from CommBank iQ found that spending among Australians aged over 35 appears to be fuelling Australia's inflation crisis as younger generations are forced to cut back on essentials.

Older generations were said to be going on holidays and dining out more often.

On the other hand, young Aussies were battling higher rents and mortgage repayments, reducing their spending to cope with the worst cost of living crisis in a generation.

Younger Aussies, particularly those aged 25 to 29, reportedly reduced their yearly spending.

woman-showing-with-one-hand-mini-house-real-state-concept-ai-generative.jpg
Koch describes the current situation as a ‘tough pill’ for young Aussies. Credit: Freepik

Koch said, ‘It's time policy-makers should be asking: how could the pressure be more evenly spread?’

Many older homeowners have stressed that interest rates for home loans back then weren't as tough when looking at history.

In the late 1980s to early 1990s, home loan rates were a high 17 per cent, but today's variable rates are lower at six per cent.

They argued that the sacrifices young adults make now are incomparable to what they and past generations had to do.

However, Koch said new homebuyers are in a tougher spot than before.

For him, house prices had gone way up compared to what people earn, and this was happening faster than wages were growing.

'Back in the 80s, the average cost of an Aussie house was $70,000, now it's $700,000—ten times more expensive,' he said.

He explained that in the 1980s, the average salary was $19,000. In 2023, it was $94,000.

'So in the 80s, the price of a house was four times the average person's income,' he said.

'In 2023, it's eight times the average Aussie salary.'

He has also urged mortgage holders with higher repayments to call their banks and explore whether refinancing to a lower-rate loan is possible.

‘We urge people in mortgage pain to reduce the interest on their repayments as much as possible by shopping around for a better deal,' Koch said.

'When every dollar counts, 2024 should be the year of the new lender.'

The struggles of young Australians in the housing market are real and palpable.

Mira Almasri, a 35-year-old single mother, rents a one-bedroom apartment with her two children, aged nine and 14 in Mosman on Sydney's well-heeled north shore for $600 a week.

She has given up all hope of owning a Sydney home, stating, 'It's impossible to buy in Sydney.'

'Even if you earn loads of money, it's still hard. All my friends who have bought houses in the last two years say they are not happy at all because they are paying high-interest rates.'

Jacob Burrows, 22, an electrician from Perth, Western Australia, hopes to buy a property within the next 12 months despite interest rates being at their highest since 2012.

He has done a lot of research, including reading a book about a man who owned 30 properties by the age of 30.

However, he acknowledged that 'it's fairly hard at the moment because everything is so expensive’.

‘A couple of years ago, I wanted to try and understand the market to appreciate what's involved in buying a house,’ Burrows added.

‘I spent a year or so learning the housing market, and now I'm going to try to look for cheaper houses instead of buying one big one so that I can have a smaller deposit.'

Still, it’s not all rosy for older Australians.

On the other side of the spectrum, a report by Ageing in a Housing Crisis showed that having safe, secure, and affordable housing for older people has become increasingly difficult.

More older people also lived in marginal housing, as analysed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics census data and homelessness estimates.

The increase in housing costs, declining rates of home ownership, carrying mortgage debt into retirement, uncertainty in private rental arrangements, and the worsening shortage of social housing all indicate a widespread problem of housing insecurity.

This issue of insecure or unstable housing impacts people of all age groups. However, for older individuals, the challenges are exacerbated by factors such as limited income-earning potential, growing frailty, illness, caring responsibilities, an increasing need for at-home support, and age-related discrimination.
Key Takeaways

• David Koch delivered a stark message to older generations, pointing out how young Australians face struggles due to high interest rates and inflation.
  • Research by Compare the Market indicates that recent homebuyers who purchased at market peak are financially worse off than those who bought homes several years prior.
  • Older Australian homeowners have generally been cushioned from recent rate rises, having benefitted from increased property equity.
  • Koch suggested that policymakers should consider ways to distribute economic pressures more equitably across generations.
Members, what are your thoughts on this issue? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
In the very late 60s and early 70s we received $2 for each of them A MONTH. There were no perks for sending them to kindergarten, I didn’t work full time until 1990 (casual during school hours so I could take them to, and pick them up from, school), we paid off our house in 1982 at 17% interest rate, sent all of them to university at our own expense - all of that on a marine engineer’s wage. That wasn’t a huge wage (under $50,000 - not like the wage of about $120,000 now). Once our children could stand on their own feet they all got casual jobs and had a little money of their own.

Seems these days it is a case of getting ‘everything that opens and shuts’ from day one. No one wants to buy ONLY when the money is saved first, too easy to get credit (and heaps of credit on multiple cards etc).

Yes, costs have gone up considerably and everything is more expensive but save first, then buy. Just because you have a few $s in the bank doesn’t mean you have to buy and thereby run your bank balance into the ground.

As for Mr K! Even when he was on channel 7 he thought the financial world was all about his opinion. I never liked him or his big ego way of reporting the financial side of the breakfast show, standing there with his iPad for show and which he never once referred to. We’ve all done our time on various wages, low and high, so don’t blame the older generation or say we didn’t have the same burdens, Kochie. And on wages much lower that you got. We’ve been there and done that, just with a different approach to costs and expenses. Our savings are a result of our ways, then and now.
Congratulations Catherine and to your Husband as well , You have done very well. You have done it tough, worked hard but with a long term plan. Two jobs apiece, I take my hat of for you. You pair should be held up as a demonstration of
how to do anything right even with your
kids no doubt they are all independently
financial now. Congratulations again, anything you have has been with a good head on your shoulders, and now you should be able to enjoy all the "Hard Yaka" you have put in over the years. I hope your kids, do the same with their kids. You both have the Recipe for success don't ever doubt it.

People don't want to consider the data Knell, it appears a lot of people just don't like Kochie and are taking a very biased view.
Not that fussed on Kochie myself, but the statistics are correct.
The statistics might be correct but is every aspect of everything related to home ownership taken into consideration? - e.g. save regularly, buy when you have saved, don't get your morning coffee and lunch at the store but make it at home, etc. I bet he and the statistics didn't take many, many things into consideration. It is figures we are made to believe without all other considerations, not just wages and costs.

The statistics might be correct but is every aspect of everything related to home ownership taken into consideration? - e.g. save regularly, buy when you have saved, don't get your morning coffee and lunch at the store but make it at home, etc. I bet he and the statistics didn't take many, many things into consideration. It is figures we are made to believe without all other considerations, not just wages and costs.
But wages and costs are what he was talking about, not coffee and lunch.

I'm almost 77 and have to admit I bought my lunch everyday, not so much for the coffees, only because coffee was provided at work.

Not all young people waste their money, though many do

I still live a comfortable retirement.
We own our own home, a rental, a reasonable car and money in the bank. All this was achieved through damn hard work.

My son has just bought a lovely 122 acre home and land, all bought through hard physical work and his wife has never had to work. He had a dream and made it come true.

Anybody can do it, it's just a matter of setting your priorities and figuring
out what you have to do to get there.

When I was young I worked four jobs, 4 am racetrack work, home to shower, on the tram to office job in town, three nights a week worked with two friends at a disco as dancers, weekends worked at riding school.

Don't know any young.people who would do that today.

Reactions: Knell
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, so please correct me if I respond to the wrong point. When Kosch said that he thinks the data will show the main spending, since property price increases, say 2018 onwards, is largely due to boomers who have taken the opportunity to sell, thus making a large profit on their homes it is because many are self-funded retirees and many own multiple properties which they have been renting out for a long time. I can say I have seen this and know of many fitting that bracket. I can say they have purchased new cars and holidays etc. because they do have the disposable income to do as they wish (and the cars are not Kia or Mazda - they are Mercs and BMWs). The restaurants and coffee shops are full of boomers every day enjoying the fruits, and it's good for them. I think you may be under-estimating the amount of wealthy boomers and this is what the statistics seem to show. It is not a statistic isolated to pensioners - it is the overall age bracket. It is not blaming, it is just a result of regeneration of suburbs and many boomers have kicked a goal during the high rise in housing prices.

I'm almost 77 and have to admit I bought my lunch everyday, not so much for the coffees, only because coffee was provided at work.

We own our own home, a rental, a reasonable car and money in the bank. All this was achieved through damn hard work.

My son has just bought a lovely 122 acre home and land, all bought through hard physical work and his wife has never had to work. He had a dream and made it come true.

When I was young I worked four jobs, 4 am racetrack work, home to shower, on the tram to office job in town, three nights a week worked with two friends at a disco as dancers, weekends worked at riding school.

But the young ones that are not doing that or don't have high paying jobs are not the ones getting the loans to enter the housing market.

But the young ones that are not doing that or don't have high paying jobs are not the ones getting the loans to enter the housing market.
Banking criteria for loans now require high deposit, loan insurance and usually an off-set account with additional savings - quite a lot of savings required to qualify.

Your journey sounds familiar.

No big house (a budget home), work (7 days a week some years), 17% interest rates (for years), no second car (hell, sometimes no car and yes buses and trains) and no travelling annual holidays over 3 decades.

I'm not sure the younger gens could cope with these circumstances.

Consumerism (mass advertising) and social media (peer pressure) contribute to their inability to live - what's the word? Oh yes, 'frugally', a word that now has a negative connotation.

If you NEED to have / buy everything, you'll spend all your income and rack up debt.

How in these circumstances will you ever save any money and I'm not just talking about a property deposit. I am saying how could you ever amass savings for a rainy day to get you over tough times that crop up from time to time.
I think the point is the ones with the mortgages are not the ones spending like crazy - not possible to have a mortgage at today's rates without being frugal or high income. The ones that choose to spend and not save will the future generation that will be complaining that they "did not get a "fair suck of the sav"!

You are right about what many of the young of today are prepared to do, and one thing is to go without to save. Getting priorities right is spot on, as you have said.

Definitely disagree with Mr K. Sure housing costs have gone up but too has wages in the same period of time. Most couples now are both working, meaning two incomes, & not entirely to pay off a mortgage as may be suggested by Kochie. I am aware of young married couples with children who are paying off a home & are now living a life better than they did before having children. How is this doing things hard?

My wife & l bought up a family & paid off a home on my wage only. That was almost 25 years ago. Does Mr K think we did it easy, buying takeaway on a regular basis while living the high life, taking a holiday every year? We started off with an old weatherboard home bought from Homeswest in W.A. In the time we lived there l stripped the paint off the weather boards & painted them, cleaned the cement roof tiles & painted them too, painted inside & did a bedroom addition, erected a garage, planted lawns etc, etc.

The only reason we sold & shifted was to get me closer to my shift work job. The whole process meant a lot of hard work & all with one wage while raising a family on high interest rates Mr K.

We didn't have all the benefits & handouts couples receive today such as Maternity Leave, Parental Leave, Baby Bonus, Family Allowance which far outstrips those paid to us as parents, First Home Owners Allowance which is more than $1,500 offered to us if we saved a deposit over 3 years, but if you saved a smaller deposit over less time, the amount was paid pro rata, and the list goes on.

GET YOU HEAD FROM OUT OF YOUR ARSE MR KOCH. SPROUTING FIGURES LIKE YOU HAVE DOESN'T MAKE YOU AN EXPERT! US OLDIES HAVE DONE THINGS THE HARD WAY & DIDN'T CAUSE TODAY'S PROBLEMS.

Definitely disagree with Mr K. Sure housing costs have gone up but too has wages in the same period of time. Most couples now are both working, meaning two incomes, & not entirely to pay off a mortgage as may be suggested by Kochie. I am aware of young married couples with children who are paying off a home & are now living a life better than they did before having children. How is this doing things hard?

My wife & l bought up a family & paid off a home on my wage only. That was almost 25 years ago. Does Mr K think we did it easy, buying takeaway on a regular basis while living the high life, taking a holiday every year? We started off with an old weatherboard home bought from Homeswest in W.A. In the time we lived there l stripped the paint off the weather boards & painted them, cleaned the cement roof tiles & painted them too, painted inside & did a bedroom addition, erected a garage, planted lawns etc, etc.

The only reason we sold & shifted was to get me closer to my shift work job. The whole process meant a lot of hard work & all with one wage while raising a family on high interest rates Mr K.

We didn't have all the benefits & handouts couples receive today such as Maternity Leave, Parental Leave, Baby Bonus, Family Allowance which far outstrips those paid to us as parents, First Home Owners Allowance which is more than $1,500 offered to us if we saved a deposit over 3 years, but if you saved a smaller deposit over less time, the amount was paid pro rata, and the list goes on.

GET YOU HEAD FROM OUT OF YOUR ARSE MR KOCH. SPROUTING FIGURES LIKE YOU HAVE DOESN'T MAKE YOU AN EXPERT! US OLDIES HAVE DONE THINGS THE HARD WAY & DIDN'T CAUSE TODAY'S PROBLEMS.
Sorry you had to BUY your children instead of saying you BROUGHT them up.

But further to that most of your comments seem to point to your hard work, going without and finally being able to afford your own home, without getting the perks the younger generation get now. We, the seniors of today, did things by hard slog in our jobs and everything we did was the hard way, that is why and how we could afford our homes and are not in debt upto our eyeballs.

What time is the Medal Ceremony? It seems the Victoria Cross will be highly contended! Stay tuned!

Sorry you had to BUY your children instead of saying you BROUGHT them up.

But further to that most of your comments seem to point to your hard work, going without and finally being able to afford your own home, without getting the perks the younger generation get now. We, the seniors of today, did things by hard slog in our jobs and everything we did was the hard way, that is why and how we could afford our homes and are not in debt upto our eyeballs.
NOT SURE WHERE YOU THINK I SAID 'BUY' when my 2nd paragraph CLEARLY SAYS BOUGHT!

MY WIFE & I ARE BOTH 71 YEARS OF AGE THEREFORE I GUESS WE ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT 'DOING THINGS THE HARD WAY & NOW NOT BEING IN DEBT UP TO OUR EYEBALLS', WHICH DOES APPLY TO US!

I AM PERPLEXED TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU SAW REASON TO CRITICIZE MY STATEMENT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

NOT SURE WHERE YOU THINK I SAID 'BUY' when my 2nd paragraph CLEARLY SAYS BOUGHT!

MY WIFE & I ARE BOTH 71 YEARS OF AGE THEREFORE I GUESS WE ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT 'DOING THINGS THE HARD WAY & NOW NOT BEING IN DEBT UP TO OUR EYEBALLS', WHICH DOES APPLY TO US!

I AM PERPLEXED TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU SAW REASON TO CRITICIZE MY STATEMENT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.
Don't worry about it Ezzy, just the "spelling police" at work again.
Bought is the past tense of buy, hence her comment, so she was making that statement that you should have said "brought".
At the end of the day, who cares, we all knew what you were talking about
I have no idea why some people find it necessary to criticise other people's spelling.
Enjoy your day.😃

Reactions: Ezzy and Knell
Don't worry about it Ezzy, just the "spelling police" at work again.
Bought is the past tense of buy, hence her comment, so she was making that statement that you should have said "brought".
At the end of the day, who cares, we all knew what you were talking about
I have no idea why some people find it necessary to criticise other people's spelling.
Enjoy your day.😃
Thankyou @ mylittletibbies for your time to clear this up for me.

David Koch, the former Sunrise host and current economic director for comparison website Compare the Market, has pointed out something older Australiansmay not want to hear.

He has explained that younger Australians bear the brunt of soaring interest rates and inflation while their older counterparts remain largely unaffected.

The Australian housing market has been a hot topic of discussion for years, with prices skyrocketing and making it increasingly difficult for younger generations to enter the property market.

This issue has been exacerbated by the recent rise in interest rates, which according to Koch, has hit young borrowers the hardest.

View attachment 38953
It has been reported that younger generations have a hard time buying homes. Credit: Freepik

According to data from Compare the Market, homeowners who purchased property at the peak of the market in early 2022 are now finding themselves in a worse financial position each month compared to those who bought it three years earlier.

For instance, a Sydney homebuyer who purchased a property at the average price of $1.12 million in February 2022 and locked in a fixed rate of 2.2 per cent would now face minimum monthly repayments of $2,247 more than their current payment.

In contrast, homeowners who bought at the median price of about $780,000 in April 2019 on the same fixed rate have seen their repayments rise just $1,576 a month.

This means they are better off by $671 every month, or a total of $8,052 a year.

Furthermore, those who bought before the pandemic have benefited from a rise in equity as property prices have significantly increased over the past four years.

Koch has described this situation as a 'tough pill' for young Aussies who have not had time to save up.

'If you bought your home in early 2022 under the pretence that interest rates would stay low for longer, you've now been lumped with the short end of the stick,' Koch said.

'Meanwhile, a lot of mature Australians have missed this pain altogether after selling their properties at the peak and having reaped the benefits over more equity for years.’

'A lot of mature Australians have been shielded from the rate rises, and it's already widely believed that their spending drove inflation.'

A 2023 report from CommBank iQ found that spending among Australians aged over 35 appears to be fuelling Australia's inflation crisis as younger generations are forced to cut back on essentials.

Older generations were said to be going on holidays and dining out more often.

On the other hand, young Aussies were battling higher rents and mortgage repayments, reducing their spending to cope with the worst cost of living crisis in a generation.

Younger Aussies, particularly those aged 25 to 29, reportedly reduced their yearly spending.

View attachment 38954
Koch describes the current situation as a ‘tough pill’ for young Aussies. Credit: Freepik

Koch said, ‘It's time policy-makers should be asking: how could the pressure be more evenly spread?’

Many older homeowners have stressed that interest rates for home loans back then weren't as tough when looking at history.

In the late 1980s to early 1990s, home loan rates were a high 17 per cent, but today's variable rates are lower at six per cent.

They argued that the sacrifices young adults make now are incomparable to what they and past generations had to do.

However, Koch said new homebuyers are in a tougher spot than before.

For him, house prices had gone way up compared to what people earn, and this was happening faster than wages were growing.

'Back in the 80s, the average cost of an Aussie house was $70,000, now it's $700,000—ten times more expensive,' he said.

He explained that in the 1980s, the average salary was $19,000. In 2023, it was $94,000.

'So in the 80s, the price of a house was four times the average person's income,' he said.

'In 2023, it's eight times the average Aussie salary.'

He has also urged mortgage holders with higher repayments to call their banks and explore whether refinancing to a lower-rate loan is possible.

‘We urge people in mortgage pain to reduce the interest on their repayments as much as possible by shopping around for a better deal,' Koch said.

'When every dollar counts, 2024 should be the year of the new lender.'

The struggles of young Australians in the housing market are real and palpable.

Mira Almasri, a 35-year-old single mother, rents a one-bedroom apartment with her two children, aged nine and 14 in Mosman on Sydney's well-heeled north shore for $600 a week.

She has given up all hope of owning a Sydney home, stating, 'It's impossible to buy in Sydney.'

'Even if you earn loads of money, it's still hard. All my friends who have bought houses in the last two years say they are not happy at all because they are paying high-interest rates.'

Jacob Burrows, 22, an electrician from Perth, Western Australia, hopes to buy a property within the next 12 months despite interest rates being at their highest since 2012.

He has done a lot of research, including reading a book about a man who owned 30 properties by the age of 30.

However, he acknowledged that 'it's fairly hard at the moment because everything is so expensive’.

‘A couple of years ago, I wanted to try and understand the market to appreciate what's involved in buying a house,’ Burrows added.

‘I spent a year or so learning the housing market, and now I'm going to try to look for cheaper houses instead of buying one big one so that I can have a smaller deposit.'

Still, it’s not all rosy for older Australians.

On the other side of the spectrum, a report by Ageing in a Housing Crisis showed that having safe, secure, and affordable housing for older people has become increasingly difficult.

More older people also lived in marginal housing, as analysed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics census data and homelessness estimates.

The increase in housing costs, declining rates of home ownership, carrying mortgage debt into retirement, uncertainty in private rental arrangements, and the worsening shortage of social housing all indicate a widespread problem of housing insecurity.

This issue of insecure or unstable housing impacts people of all age groups. However, for older individuals, the challenges are exacerbated by factors such as limited income-earning potential, growing frailty, illness, caring responsibilities, an increasing need for at-home support, and age-related discrimination.
Key Takeaways

• David Koch delivered a stark message to older generations, pointing out how young Australians face struggles due to high interest rates and inflation.
  • Research by Compare the Market indicates that recent homebuyers who purchased at market peak are financially worse off than those who bought homes several years prior.
  • Older Australian homeowners have generally been cushioned from recent rate rises, having benefitted from increased property equity.
  • Koch suggested that policymakers should consider ways to distribute economic pressures more equitably across generations.
Members, what are your thoughts on this issue? Share them with us in the comments below.
It's the younger generation paying huge prices for housing not the aged, they're downsizing or not moving. Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it, as they say the market decides. Only a small portion of the population have their own house. Your buying power has gone out the window with everything due to price increases be it a house or general expenses. Of course those who bought earlier at the same interest rate are better off because the house was cheaper and they borrowed less, don't need Koch to tell us that. Responsibilty of the borrower/s has to be a factor also, interest rates won't stay low or locked forever and is the wife expected to work all her life? do we really need a NEW car? do we really need to eat out every other night? etc, etc. Live within your means and allow for the unexpected, it can be done, my son and wife and child in their mid 30's own 3 houses.

It's the younger generation paying huge prices for housing not the aged, they're downsizing or not moving. Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it, as they say the market decides. Only a small portion of the population have their own house. Your buying power has gone out the window with everything due to price increases be it a house or general expenses. Of course those who bought earlier at the same interest rate are better off because the house was cheaper and they borrowed less, don't need Koch to tell us that. Responsibilty of the borrower/s has to be a factor also, interest rates won't stay low or locked forever and is the wife expected to work all her life? do we really need a NEW car? do we really need to eat out every other night? etc, etc. Live within your means and allow for the unexpected, it can be done, my son and wife and child in their mid 30's own 3 houses.
And do your son & daughter both work to be able to afford 3 houses?

My neighbour's father has a couple of rentals too & at least 1 of these was bought very cheap at a Bank Forfeiture sale.

And do your son & daughter both work to be able to afford 3 houses?

My neighbour's father has a couple of rentals too & at least 1 of these was bought very cheap at a Bank Forfeiture sale.
yes they do, they also have rental income and are not spendthrifts so will have paid things off in relatively quick time. They bought before the huge price rises also as I did with my current house.

yes they do, they also have rental income and are not spendthrifts so will have paid things off in relatively quick time. They bought before the huge price rises also as I did with my current house.
Owning 3 homes naturally means they have rental income.

I feel home prices have always been in proportion to incomes but having extra income has always been a big plus.