SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Daisy Chains

Did you ever make daisy chains growing up? Sometimes, in the more peaceful areas of the playground, kids would sit down and chat with their friends whilst very carefully threading gorgeous little daisy chains. Back then, you made everything from necklaces to bracelets with the little daisies! It’s such a shame you don’t see more of this nowadays. Did you grow up making daisy chains? Tell us in the comments below!

compressed-shutterstock_1741434854.jpeg

Made lots of these. Had so much fun with my friends. Where I live they used to have a festival called Fun in the Sun, we would thread Frangipanni Flowers & make lei’s for our families before we went to the parade. 🌼

My husband and I were only talking about this, while looking at our daisy ridden lawn before mowing. I just wish they grew in one place, all together and protected from the mower.
Yes, a group of us girls did play with daisies, we talked, giggled and discussed many things whilst trying to put a weeny hole at the end and threading the new daisy up!

I remember the girls at State School making these everyday at lunchtime....all seated around on a large green patch of lawn at the school.....whilst us boys were either playing footy or cricket, having sprint races, playing marbles. They were great days and somewhere I have tucked away all of my class photos from those days....will have to dig them out sometime. 😉

Yes we made daisy chains, clover flower chains, even wet the bed flower chains. Not sure of the proper name but they were a small bright yellow flower, so pretty. We used to make mud pies also, we would let them set, then use a stick to cut them up and pretend to eat them. We would put the flowers from the maybush in our hair and pretend we were getting married and people had thrown confetti over us. Boy did we use our imagination back then, life was hard but we had so much fun making up ways to amuse ourselves and inventing games to play. We would be outside from daylight til dark, only returning to eat and drink. Often we would take sandwiches and a drink with us and not come home til dark. We used to go exploring in the bush, and over the paddocks everywhere. This was when we lived out in the sticks where only 7 families lived and there were miles between each family. We were never on our own, there were 6 of us kids old enough to explore, and often we met up with neighbouring kids and went off together. We paddled in the dams which was fun, most of us couldn’t swim but the dams were never very deep. Some had eels in them so we had to be careful, and the odd snake would also go in for a swim. Boy that would make us scramble out in a hurry. I remember more than once having to make a quick exit from a paddock when the cranky bull made a run for us, lucky we never got too close so we had the advantage over the bull. Some of us had close calls though, but it didn’t stop us from going back into the paddock. Some of the farmers had quiet horses that we could catch and we would go for a ride without a bridle or saddle. Life was pretty laid back in our little community. Now the area is a tourist attraction, with bed and breakfasts, a fishing lodge and other tourist attractions, and several big mansions that people call home. No farming there anymore.

Remember making daisy chains as a child. Also playing 'soldiers' where you picked this long stiff grass with heads on and attempted to knock your opponents head off their grass stick by hitting your grass stick against theirs. Blew on the edge of a certain wide blade of grass to make it whistle. Played cats cradle with string, played elastics and two ball in the school yard.

Reactions: Leodalion63
Daisy Chains

Did you ever make daisy chains growing up? Sometimes, in the more peaceful areas of the playground, kids would sit down and chat with their friends whilst very carefully threading gorgeous little daisy chains. Back then, you made everything from necklaces to bracelets with the little daisies! It’s such a shame you don’t see more of this nowadays. Did you grow up making daisy chains? Tell us in the comments below!

I loved our homemade billycarts😁

Daisy Chains

I clearly remember making daisy chains at my local country primary school, yellow capeweed daisies. I do relief teaching at the little school and was showing a group of girls how to make them just last week. The tradition lives on 😊

Reactions: Littleboy8
I clearly remember making daisy chains at my local country primary school, yellow capeweed daisies. I do relief teaching at the little school and was showing a group of girls how to make them just last week. The tradition lives on 😊
That is so sweet😍the days feel good story