Cybersecurity expert shares tips to outsmart scammers

In this digital age, scams have become relentless, cunning, and constantly evolving, making it a real challenge to stay one step ahead.

From traditional romance and investment scams to the recent phishing text scams, fraudsters are always on the prowl, ready to pounce on unsuspecting victims.

Banking fraud investigation veteran and cybersecurity expert Mark Broome said that traditional romance and investment scams still exist.

'I think, just by sheer volume, the community is more aware now of [scam] text messages.'

Scammers are also allegedly quick to adapt, constantly changing their tactics to outwit their victims and the authorities.

SDC 42.png
Cybersecurity expert said that scammers adapt quickly and change their tactics fast. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

'They adapt really, really quickly and I guess they don't have too many overheads,' Broome added.

'They look for ways that they can try to convince customers and from inside the bank's point of view, it's really interesting just watching.'

'It's a bit of a cat and mouse game.'

'We watch a certain way that they can try to target a customer, then within a week, they've put that one in the back pocket, and they've moved on to something else.'

One of the most common scams currently making the rounds involves phishing text messages claiming that parcel delivery details are incorrect.

'That seems to be the main one we're seeing at the moment that's targeting consumers,' Broome claimed.

These scams have been particularly prevalent since the Black Friday sales in November and have continued throughout the festive season.

While many consumers are aware of these scams, the busy and stressful Christmas period increases the likelihood of falling victim to them.

If you find yourself ensnared by one of these scams, Broome, who currently works at ANZ, advised victims to contact their banks immediately.

'It's really important that you contact your bank because we can put extra security on your account to try to protect you,' he explained.

'We can reset passwords, we can reset all those credentials, we can stop cards, reissue them, do all those kind of things and kind of cover it off that way.'

Banks can also reportedly implement additional controls to prevent any auto-approvals.

'There's a myriad of things that we can do to try to protect customers who want that extra layer of security.'

In addition to phishing scams, there are also phone scams to be wary of.

His advice? 'Just hang up.'

'We're getting the job ones that are coming through asking, “Do you want to pick up a bit of part-time work?”' he shared.

Broome often plays along with these scams to understand how they work and gather information that could help identify the culprits.

'We see if we can get any additional information that might help us work out who's sending them, but most of the time, I just cancel them.'

Then there are the more sinister scams that involve impersonating banks and asking customers to move funds.

'We saw a lot of those around this time last year,' Broome said, adding that romance scams and investment scams are still prevalent.

Another scam to be aware of involves purchasing non-existent items on marketplace-type apps.

'I think it's just really important to make your payments through a reputable channel,' he advised.

'If you get the opportunity, make sure that you inspect the item before you commit to it as well. There are a lot of examples where the actual item doesn't exist, and we see customers pay money for them.'

Understanding the Scam Landscape

Scams are not limited to the examples mentioned above. They can take other forms, from email scams to social media scams, and even scams involving cryptocurrencies.

Email scams often involve a fraudster posing as a reputable company or individual and asking for personal information or money. Social media scams can involve fake profiles, fraudulent ads, or links to malicious websites. Cryptocurrency scams can involve fake investment opportunities or fraudulent initial coin offerings (ICOs).

The key to avoiding scams is to stay informed and vigilant.

Always be sceptical of unsolicited communications, especially those asking for personal information or money.

Use secure and reputable payment methods when shopping online, and never share your personal or financial information over email or text messages.

If you suspect you've been targeted by a scam, report it to your local law enforcement agency and your bank immediately. They can provide advice and assistance, and your report can help protect others from falling victim to the same scam.

To stay updated on the latest scams, you may visit the ACCC’s Scamwatch website or read through our very own Scam Watch forum for the latest news.
Key Takeaways
  • Online scams, such as phishing text messages, have become prevalent and are constantly evolving.
  • Consumers are advised to contact their bank immediately if they suspect they have fallen for a scam, to add extra security and protection to their accounts.
  • The most common scam at the moment involves fake parcel delivery notifications via text messages.
  • It's important to use reputable payment channels when buying online and, if possible, inspect items before committing to purchase to avoid scams involving non-existent goods.
Members, what are your thoughts on these tips? What are your other tips for avoiding scams? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Over the last 48 hours I have been inundated with messages from buzzday.info warning me that I have a virus on my phone, need to do this and that to make sure I don't loose all my info,.contacts etc.
I have just deleted them all, but was wondering if any other members have had this same problem.
I have security on my phone and I did a deep scan which confirmed that I have no viruses or malware.
Do these people ever give up.

It sicks that this Al
In this digital age, scams have become relentless, cunning, and constantly evolving, making it a real challenge to stay one step ahead.

From traditional romance and investment scams to the recent phishing text scams, fraudsters are always on the prowl, ready to pounce on unsuspecting victims.

Banking fraud investigation veteran and cybersecurity expert Mark Broome said that traditional romance and investment scams still exist.

'I think, just by sheer volume, the community is more aware now of [scam] text messages.'

Scammers are also allegedly quick to adapt, constantly changing their tactics to outwit their victims and the authorities.

View attachment 38034
Cybersecurity expert said that scammers adapt quickly and change their tactics fast. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

'They adapt really, really quickly and I guess they don't have too many overheads,' Broome added.

'They look for ways that they can try to convince customers and from inside the bank's point of view, it's really interesting just watching.'

'We watch a certain way that they can try to target a customer, then within a week, they've put that one in the back pocket, and they've moved on to something else.'

One of the most common scams currently making the rounds involves phishing text messages claiming that parcel delivery details are incorrect.

'That seems to be the main one we're seeing at the moment that's targeting consumers,' Broome claimed.

These scams have been particularly prevalent since the Black Friday sales in November and have continued throughout the festive season.

While many consumers are aware of these scams, the busy and stressful Christmas period increases the likelihood of falling victim to them.

If you find yourself ensnared by one of these scams, Broome, who currently works at ANZ, advised victims to contact their banks immediately.

'It's really important that you contact your bank because we can put extra security on your account to try to protect you,' he explained.

'We can reset passwords, we can reset all those credentials, we can stop cards, reissue them, do all those kind of things and kind of cover it off that way.'

Banks can also reportedly implement additional controls to prevent any auto-approvals.

'There's a myriad of things that we can do to try to protect customers who want that extra layer of security.'

'We're getting the job ones that are coming through asking, “Do you want to pick up a bit of part-time work?”' he shared.

Broome often plays along with these scams to understand how they work and gather information that could help identify the culprits.

'We see if we can get any additional information that might help us work out who's sending them, but most of the time, I just cancel them.'

Then there are the more sinister scams that involve impersonating banks and asking customers to move funds.

'We saw a lot of those around this time last year,' Broome said, adding that romance scams and investment scams are still prevalent.

Another scam to be aware of involves purchasing non-existent items on marketplace-type apps.

'I think it's just really important to make your payments through a reputable channel,' he advised.

'If you get the opportunity, make sure that you inspect the item before you commit to it as well. There are a lot of examples where the actual item doesn't exist, and we see customers pay money for them.'

Scams are not limited to the examples mentioned above. They can take other forms, from email scams to social media scams, and even scams involving cryptocurrencies.

Email scams often involve a fraudster posing as a reputable company or individual and asking for personal information or money. Social media scams can involve fake profiles, fraudulent ads, or links to malicious websites. Cryptocurrency scams can involve fake investment opportunities or fraudulent initial coin offerings (ICOs).

Always be sceptical of unsolicited communications, especially those asking for personal information or money.

Use secure and reputable payment methods when shopping online, and never share your personal or financial information over email or text messages.

If you suspect you've been targeted by a scam, report it to your local law enforcement agency and your bank immediately. They can provide advice and assistance, and your report can help protect others from falling victim to the same scam.

To stay updated on the latest scams, you may visit the ACCC’s Scamwatch website or read through our very own Scam Watch forum for the latest news.
Key Takeaways

• Online scams, such as phishing text messages, have become prevalent and are constantly evolving.
  • Consumers are advised to contact their bank immediately if they suspect they have fallen for a scam, to add extra security and protection to their accounts.
  • The most common scam at the moment involves fake parcel delivery notifications via text messages.
  • It's important to use reputable payment channels when buying online and, if possible, inspect items before committing to purchase to avoid scams involving non-existent goods.
Members, what are your thoughts on these tips? What are your other tips for avoiding scams? Let us know in the comments below!
The sad part is that australian mobiles can be obtained very easily without obviously any proper checks of ID etc and this is the fault of the Australian Govt, recently a scammer was caught, and bailed out straight away and most likely committing more crimes courtesy of the Australian Govt which does not care, as the only thing the Albo government cares about is how to waste taxpayers money as much as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Knell
Over the last 48 hours I have been inundated with messages from buzzday.info warning me that I have a virus on my phone, need to do this and that to make sure I don't loose all my info,.contacts etc.
I have just deleted them all, but was wondering if any other members have had this same problem.
I have security on my phone and I did a deep scan which confirmed that I have no viruses or malware.
Yes, it's constant. I have security on my phone as well. Just delete all the messages and if I am concerned, I ring the company myself. Have a great Christmas.🍒

Last edited:
Reactions: Knell and Babbie

View attachment 38034

Key Takeaways

good reason to get rid of mobile phones. I have no use for them.....too deaf

• Love
Reactions: Knell
I had the same and deleted also and investigated I also did the scan Got rid of a lot of Apps I no longer use Googled the problem to better understand Thankfully no longer getting the messages Seemed they just wanted me to pay for protection which I didn’t need on an IPhone 12 Pro plus

View attachment 38034

Key Takeaways

I answer any text known to me, with a phone call otherwise it's gone.

This one used to be popular with computers. Havn't had one for a long time.

We often see ads on FB so I tried logging in to the web pages advertised at the bottom of these ads. Guess what, 8 out of 10 came up as a BAD GATEWAY including ones with Australian addresses.
BE WARNED. DON'T BUY FROM FACEBOOK. If you see something you do want check out ebay. The price is usually cheaper than FB and only use PAYPAL to pay for your goods.

Reactions: Jokee and Bridgit

View attachment 38034

Key Takeaways

I'm pretty sure now that I have fallen victim to the 1st 1 where I had to prove my identity for a parcel that I have been waiting on since November! Thanks for the info I will notify my bank asap. My trouble is I am a bit handicapped with a sick hubby at home at the moment!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I'm pretty sure now that I have fallen victim to the 1st 1 where I had to prove my identity for a parcel that I have been waiting on since November! Thanks for the info I will notify my bank asap. My trouble is I am a bit handicapped with a sick hubby at home at the moment!
@deedum please stay vigilant and safe. You don't need another issue to further complicate your life! 😿

Reactions: DLHM
Never use your main banking card on the internet - make a separate account and only put a certain amount on it that you know you will use. Best not to let your real Debit or Credit card info out there.

View attachment 38034

Key Takeaways

I've just received a scam from "PayPal" a receipt for my $'s transferred to cryptocoin master or suchlike...well, apart from not having that much in the bank, checking my accounts first, no money has moved, then calling PayPal..( your number, NOT the one on the text)...to be told it was a scam ..don't call the numbers on the text or answer it in ANY way!

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 38034

Key Takeaways

We must do more to lift cyber awareness across our community. It can be difficult to understand how to protect ourselves online and for many Australians, good cyber security behaviours are not front of mind. Yet much like washing our hands or putting on our seatbelts, cyber security needs to become part of our everyday routine. It’s important to emphasise that basic actions – like maintaining a secure pass-phrase, keeping our software up to date, or not clicking on suspicious links – can have the most effective outcomes.