BEWARE: Woman falls prey to a sophisticated bank text scam and loses life savings

In an era where technology is at the forefront of our daily lives, it's easy to fall prey to sophisticated scams.

One such incident involved Suni Wan, a woman who lost her life savings to a text scam that appeared to be from her bank, HSBC.

Suni Wan's day started like any other until she received a text message from HSBC alerting her to fraudulent activity on her account.

The message seemed legitimate, appearing in the same thread where she usually received messages from her bank.

SDC 1.png
A woman fell prey to a text scam that she believed was from her bank. Image source: HSBC Australia.

It informed her that a new device had logged into her account and urged her to call back immediately if it wasn't her.

The device in question was an S8, a Samsung phone model that Suni had previously owned.

Fearing that someone had gotten hold of her old phone and was attempting to access her bank account, she promptly called the number provided in the text.

The person on the other end of the line, posing as a bank representative, asked for her personal information, including her name, address, and date of birth.

They also requested a one-time passcode to resolve the issue.

Suni, eager to protect her account, complied.

'Then he said there’s been some unusual activities, and he put me on hold for quite a while,' Suni recalled.

However, when the supposed bank representative began asking about her cryptocurrency account Coinspot, Suni grew suspicious.

'It finally clicked to me, why would HSBC be concerned about my Coinspot, they wouldn’t pass my details to a representative they would tell me to call Coinspot directly,' she added.

By the time Suni contacted HSBC to freeze her account, it was too late.

The scammers had already siphoned off $49,000.

'The hardest thing for me is to stop blaming myself like I keep blaming myself. Maybe I should have noticed it earlier.'

HSBC, in response to the incident, said: 'For customer confidentiality reasons, we can’t discuss specific customer situations.'

'HSBC takes customer security very seriously, and we thoroughly investigate any reported cases of scam or fraud.'

They also warned customers about 'text spoofing', where fraudsters deliberately falsify telephone numbers of legitimate organisations to make it seem like victims have received a legitimate text from their banks.

'Scam text messages can even appear in the same message chain as real messages from the organisation, making them even harder to spot.'

HSBC emphasised that they will never ask customers to provide their PINs, passwords or verification codes on a phone call in response to a text message or email.

'Bank customers need to be vigilant about the risk of scams and are reminded to never give out bank codes or passwords.'

In similar news, one couple lost their entire life savings worth $100,000 after they followed the lead of a fraudster pretending to be a Westpac employee.

It all began when the man received a seemingly legitimate text from Uber asking him to update his bank details. But little did he know, this was only the first step in a sinister plan.

An hour and a half later, he received another text from the same Westpac line he had been contacted on before, warning him that scammers were trying to take $5,500 from his account.

In a state of alarm and uncertainty, Green hurriedly called the security number included in the text.

He spoke to a person pretending to be a trustworthy Westpac employee and was convinced that he was doing the right thing when he began to transfer his money into a new account created by the said representative.

You can read more about this scam here.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Suni Wan lost her life savings after falling for a text scam, supposedly from her bank, HSBC.
  • She received a text message alerting her of fraudulent activity on her account, which appeared to be from HSBC and even appeared in the same message thread.
  • Suni provided her personal information, including a one-time passcode, to the scammer, thinking they were official bank employees.
  • HSBC stated they thoroughly investigate scam or fraud cases and reminded customers not to provide their PINs, passwords, and verification codes in response to such messages.
Have you ever received a suspicious text message or fallen victim to a scam? Share your experiences and tips for avoiding scams in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Carina1956! and BJM
Sponsored
How many times do people have to be told not to give personal information & PINs over the phone? The banks keep saying they do not ask for this information yet people fall for the scam time & time & time again.

Not another one!! People are told all the time do NOT give personal information over the phone. There is enough information out there for people not to get scammed. Yet they keep ignoring common sense. I have no sympathy for anyone stupid enpough to fall for these scams. Wake up everyone!!

Reactions: elaine41
My husband got what I thought was a suspicious email this morning. We both retired last year and this was saying our old accountant had found some Telstra credits that he was owed money on. It was also asking bank details. I don’t know what Telstra credits are. Anyway, he was going to ring them on the number provided and I said, no, I’ll ring them on the number I have in my phone. Anyway, all was proven to be right but they said it’s always good to check. Funny though when I explained my self the the receptionist she said “it sounds like a scam.“ Then next said “oh, hang on a minute, I sent that email, it’s legit” lol

In an era where technology is at the forefront of our daily lives, it's easy to fall prey to sophisticated scams.

One such incident involved Suni Wan, a woman who lost her life savings to a text scam that appeared to be from her bank, HSBC.

Suni Wan's day started like any other until she received a text message from HSBC alerting her to fraudulent activity on her account.

The message seemed legitimate, appearing in the same thread where she usually received messages from her bank.

View attachment 37577
A woman fell prey to a text scam that she believed was from her bank. Image source: HSBC Australia.

It informed her that a new device had logged into her account and urged her to call back immediately if it wasn't her.

The device in question was an S8, a Samsung phone model that Suni had previously owned.

Fearing that someone had gotten hold of her old phone and was attempting to access her bank account, she promptly called the number provided in the text.

The person on the other end of the line, posing as a bank representative, asked for her personal information, including her name, address, and date of birth.

'Then he said there’s been some unusual activities, and he put me on hold for quite a while,' Suni recalled.

However, when the supposed bank representative began asking about her cryptocurrency account Coinspot, Suni grew suspicious.

'It finally clicked to me, why would HSBC be concerned about my Coinspot, they wouldn’t pass my details to a representative they would tell me to call Coinspot directly,' she added.

'The hardest thing for me is to stop blaming myself like I keep blaming myself. Maybe I should have noticed it earlier.'

HSBC, in response to the incident, said: 'For customer confidentiality reasons, we can’t discuss specific customer situations.'

'HSBC takes customer security very seriously, and we thoroughly investigate any reported cases of scam or fraud.'

They also warned customers about 'text spoofing', where fraudsters deliberately falsify telephone numbers of legitimate organisations to make it seem like victims have received a legitimate text from their banks.

'Scam text messages can even appear in the same message chain as real messages from the organisation, making them even harder to spot.'

HSBC emphasised that they will never ask customers to provide their PINs, passwords or verification codes on a phone call in response to a text message or email.

'Bank customers need to be vigilant about the risk of scams and are reminded to never give out bank codes or passwords.'

In similar news, one couple lost their entire life savings worth $100,000 after they followed the lead of a fraudster pretending to be a Westpac employee.

It all began when the man received a seemingly legitimate text from Uber asking him to update his bank details. But little did he know, this was only the first step in a sinister plan.

An hour and a half later, he received another text from the same Westpac line he had been contacted on before, warning him that scammers were trying to take $5,500 from his account.

In a state of alarm and uncertainty, Green hurriedly called the security number included in the text.

He spoke to a person pretending to be a trustworthy Westpac employee and was convinced that he was doing the right thing when he began to transfer his money into a new account created by the said representative.

Key Takeaways

• A woman named Suni Wan lost her life savings after falling for a text scam, supposedly from her bank, HSBC.
  • She received a text message alerting her of fraudulent activity on her account, which appeared to be from HSBC and even appeared in the same message thread.
  • Suni provided her personal information, including a one-time passcode, to the scammer, thinking they were official bank employees.
  • HSBC stated they thoroughly investigate scam or fraud cases and reminded customers not to provide their PINs, passwords, and verification codes in response to such messages.
Have you ever received a suspicious text message or fallen victim to a scam? Share your experiences and tips for avoiding scams in the comments below.
Once again, and again and again!
This stupid women responded to a phone number or link from a bank on an email!
How many times do people have to be told, Banks will NOT ask you to ring a number or click on a link!
Sick to death of hearing these idiots complaining and blaming the banks for their own stupidity.
Iy you get these messages or emails immediately ring the bank (The number on your bank statement not the number on the email or message) to sort it out.
If you don’t then you deserve to lose all your savings!

Reactions: LynS and elaine41

View attachment 37577

Key Takeaways

And I will be willing to bet that that call came from soomeone with an Asian accent more likely from India, Pakistany or Shri Lanka. And I bet that it is from the same mob becaue that is the tactic they used on me.
But I have to say that they are very persistent.
I have been scammed and when I hear those people expecially from a female who olny acts as an entrance door to a man, I tell them in a kind voice. "You sound like a nice girl so can you please do me a favour..... and then I follow with now can you get that phone and shove it up your rear end" . She quicky hang up.
As they say cheat me one SHAME ON YOU, Cheat me twice SHAME ON ME.
AND Now shame on the Treausrer if he persists on going down that road of a cashless society and allowing the Banks to force upon us the Digital Banking. They know it will cause frauds and havoc especially to older people and they are still going down that road. SHAME ALBO, SHAM ON YOU if you doin't show that you have the cohones.

Rec

View attachment 37577

Key Takeaways

Recently on the news it was reported that such a scammer was caught by the police and charged with various offences and then let out on bail. On bail he could continue his crimes. The govt does not care

Once again, and again and again!
This stupid women responded to a phone number or link from a bank on an email!
How many times do people have to be told, Banks will NOT ask you to ring a number or click on a link!
Sick to death of hearing these idiots complaining and blaming the banks for their own stupidity.
Iy you get these messages or emails immediately ring the bank (The number on your bank statement not the number on the email or message) to sort it out.
If you don’t then you deserve to lose all your savings!
You wrote, "(If you get these messages or emails immediately ring the bank (The number on your bank statement not the number on the email or message) to sort it out.)"

This is were you are totally wrong. Have you ever tried to ring the Bank and see if you get someone to answer the phone.?.....Shock horror.
And have you ever tried to ring your Banks Manager if you didn't get an answer from your Bank.? Double shock horror.
That is the excuse my Banking Manager told me when I was scammed and he said "why didn't you ring me", and I replied I did, check your mobile phone and then you now returned my call about 2 hours after I rang you.
HIS REPLY.?? SILENT, Slience on the phone and more silence. The Banks are cutting more and more services and of course Customers service who has been sent to scrap heap and where you have no one to get in contact with. I am lucky that I have a personal manager at the bank with his diret number but I still can't get in touch with him and sometime I will get a phone call from him up to two or three days after my call and where I even forgot what I was calling him about.

Rec

Recently on the news it was reported that such a scammer was caught by the police and charged with various offences and then let out on bail. On bail he could continue his crimes. The govt does not care
Of course they don't care, and he might do the run and will never appear in Court again. How many times do I have to say that the Banks are the ones running the Government because of what they have been allowed to do.?
Why doesn't the Government allow Australia Post to be a Popular people's bank where they could be immensely useful for smaller towns and people in General instead of getting screwed by the big 4.?

I rest my case.

My husband got what I thought was a suspicious email this morning. We both retired last year and this was saying our old accountant had found some Telstra credits that he was owed money on. It was also asking bank details. I don’t know what Telstra credits are. Anyway, he was going to ring them on the number provided and I said, no, I’ll ring them on the number I have in my phone. Anyway, all was proven to be right but they said it’s always good to check. Funny though when I explained my self the the receptionist she said “it sounds like a scam.“ Then next said “oh, hang on a minute, I sent that email, it’s legit” lol
That's interesting, even they don't know if it is legit or not??? Makes you think, who can you trust isn't it.

And I will be willing to bet that that call came from soomeone with an Asian accent more likely from India, Pakistany or Shri Lanka. And I bet that it is from the same mob becaue that is the tactic they used on me.
But I have to say that they are very persistent.
I have been scammed and when I hear those people expecially from a female who olny acts as an entrance door to a man, I tell them in a kind voice. "You sound like a nice girl so can you please do me a favour..... and then I follow with now can you get that phone and shove it up your rear end" . She quicky hang up.
As they say cheat me one SHAME ON YOU, Cheat me twice SHAME ON ME.
AND Now shame on the Treausrer if he persists on going down that road of a cashless society and allowing the Banks to force upon us the Digital Banking. They know it will cause frauds and havoc especially to older people and they are still going down that road. SHAME ALBO, SHAM ON YOU if you doin't show that you have the cohones.

Stop blaming everyone else for yours or other people’s stupidity!
We are warned on a daily basis but fools keep falling for these scams!

Stop blaming everyone else for yours or other people’s stupidity!
We are warned on a daily basis but fools keep falling for these scams!
That is poor answer on your part and, besides been a personal attack, it was not directed to my comments in any ways or form. Read my email again where you suggetsed to ring the Bank before doing anything and then reply to my comments accordingly.
I believe that my post was straight to the point and in regard to the Banks and their Customer Service. I also told you told you and the forum that I have a personal Banker with his direct phone and mobile phone but I still can't get a hold of him when I need to talk to him about any issues.
PLEASE answer the questions as directed and do not become personal.

Reactions: maherdj
You wrote, "(If you get these messages or emails immediately ring the bank (The number on your bank statement not the number on the email or message) to sort it out.)"

This is were you are totally wrong. Have you ever tried to ring the Bank and see if you get someone to answer the phone.?.....Shock horror.
And have you ever tried to ring your Banks Manager if you didn't get an answer from your Bank.? Double shock horror.
That is the excuse my Banking Manager told me when I was scammed and he said "why didn't you ring me", and I replied I did, check your mobile phone and then you now returned my call about 2 hours after I rang you.
HIS REPLY.?? SILENT, Slience on the phone and more silence. The Banks are cutting more and more services and of course Customers service who has been sent to scrap heap and where you have no one to get in contact with. I am lucky that I have a personal manager at the bank with his diret number but I still can't get in touch with him and sometime I will get a phone call from him up to two or three days after my call and where I even forgot what I was calling him about.
Yes I have rung my bank on numerous occasions after receiving “scams” and get through without any issues. I ring the number on the statement as I don’t have personal banker!
They are more than happy to check out the emails and they also ask me to forward the email/message to their fraud department.
Not hard to do.
OK even if you have to wait 15 minutes to get through it’s better than stupidly responding to the email or message and losing all your money!

Reactions: LynS
That is poor answer on your part and, besides been a personal attack, it was not directed to my comments in any ways or form. Read my email again where you suggetsed to ring the Bank before doing anything and then reply to my comments accordingly.
I believe that my post was straight to the point and in regard to the Banks and their Customer Service. I also told you told you and the forum that I have a personal Banker with his direct phone and mobile phone but I still can't get a hold of him when I need to talk to him about any issues.
PLEASE answer the questions as directed and do not become personal.
Might be personal and will be personal until all these stupid people stop falling for these scams.
Sick to death of people crying because they are stupid then blaming the banks!

Reactions: LynS
It's not Rocket Science.
Leave on-line banking alone, period.
Do your banking in-person at a physical Branch, or at a pinch, at your Post Office.
If your Bank isn't 'big' enough to have local Branches, is it REALLY the kind of outfit to which you want to entrust your wealth?

Reactions: maherdj and Kelpie

View attachment 37577

Key Takeaways

AND THE BANKS WITH THE COLLUSION OF GOVERNMENT WON;T SOCIETY TO GO CASHLESS, WELL F**KEM ALL BAR SIX, USE THEM AS PABEARERS, THEN THEY CAN GO F**K THEMSELVES?.

Reactions: maherdj
Yes I have rung my bank on numerous occasions after receiving “scams” and get through without any issues. I ring the number on the statement as I don’t have personal banker!
They are more than happy to check out the emails and they also ask me to forward the email/message to their fraud department.
Not hard to do.
OK even if you have to wait 15 minutes to get through it’s better than stupidly responding to the email or message and losing all your money!
The point is that you have got it wrong again. Where did I say that I responded or receive an email.? I never reveived one, period.
And now going back to reply, how can you wait on the lane when you got a person impersonating your Bank Fraud Squad telling you that you have been scammed (How these people knew all of my accounts details I will never know but very fishy in my opinion) and when you tell this person that I would ring the Bank first before I do anything and he agreed to wait on the lane for me to come back.
Like I said before the Bank never responded to the call and neither did my Bank Manager and he only rang me back after about two hours or more.
And there is much more to it whcih I don't want to say here because of what I will do next.
As I said above it sounds all too fishy for me and I will see what I cam do or pass it on to AFCA for a full investigation as I still have all the names. And the funny part about it all, I do not bank with HSBC, never have and never will, but the money involved went directly to an HSBC account even though the Bank officer form the Fraud Squad stated (It is all recorded) that he was going to put an immediate stop to the transfer.